• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Raven Tengu Kabuto: The Golden-Eyed Beast

1992 OVA set in feudal Japan...
Wait, what's this??

Dude, I could've warned you about this. It had a Buried Garbage article so I vetted it when I was vetting stuff like Dark Cat and Ki-Me-Ra!

I found it largely really boring, save for the pagodacopter which got a good chuckle out of me. There's actually an adjoining television series, but the final third never received a translation, alas.

Narag

Dude, I could've warned you about this. It had a Buried Garbage article so I vetted it when I was vetting stuff like Dark Cat and Ki-Me-Ra!

I found it largely really boring, save for the pagodacopter which got a good chuckle out of me. There's actually an adjoining television series, but the final third never received a translation, alas.

Whatever complaints I might have had were erased when that hard rocking insert song kicked up. I rode that shit to the end.

Rasetsubo has an evil face on his hand that, despite resembling the hand attached to a certain lettered vampire hunter, tends to act more like the adorable Nintendo mascot Kirby. Suck air. Blow HELLFIRE. Also making appearances are a mecha horse, numerous creepy mask bug robots, a helicopter carriage (still drawn by human slaves in most cases), and an edo-period time bomb with an LCD display that counts down in kanji.

Tha's from the article and would have only enticed me!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Whatever complaints I might have had were erased when that hard rocking insert song kicked up. I rode that shit to the end.

You suddenly have me wondering if there are any other good examples of MANLY insert songs in anime. Right now my not-so-comprehensive list is as follows:

• Row Row Fight the Power/Libera Me from Hell

yeah...

OPs/EDs used as insert songs don't count!

cnet128

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds 5

Rui's idealism is pretty...infectious? Inspiring? Something beginning with "in", at any rate. Pity the guy he was talking to was such a cynic.
How can someone with such an adorable daughter be a bad person, though?

Also, Hajime is so fun and cute and wonderful it defies comprehension. I feel like this needs saying every episode, because it never fails to amaze and delight me anew every damn time she appears on screen. Hnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhh.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You never go full anime.

kQ0t8TD.jpg

What on fucking Earth.

Nothing on their site mentions anime at all, so it's pretty weird.

1108180655461320518607037.gif

Branduil

You suddenly have me wondering if there are any other good examples of MANLY insert songs in anime. Right now my not-so-comprehensive list is as follows:

• Row Row Fight the Power/Libera Me from Hell

yeah...

OPs/EDs used as insert songs don't count!

Does it just need to be an insert song sung by a male or does it have to be aggressively masculine?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

One Piece 603

The Kid/Appo/Basil alliance is starting to form nicely just as the Strawhat crew (minus Franky and Chopper) was reunited again. Got a kick after seeing Sanji's boost right after touching Nami's chest and catching the Dragon.

Highlights were definitely Law/Luffy/Smoker striking a magnificent back pose near the end and Tashigi's disapproving face towards Smoker.

Branduil

The weird thing about Japanese text is you read right-to-left on vertical text, but horizontal text is read left-to-right. I mean, it makes sense if you think of horizontal text as vertical text rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise, but it's still a weird quirk.

The weird thing about Japanese text is you read right-to-left on vertical text, but horizontal text is read left-to-right. I mean, it makes sense if you think of horizontal text as vertical text rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise, but it's still a weird quirk.

My unresearched view on this is that it's a discrepancy between the traditional Japanese way of writing, which was vertical and right-to-left, and the horizontal Western way of writing, which brought left-to-right reading along with it when it entered Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, I had something like a six-hour-long nightmare about me being in the Attack on Titan universe last night even though I quit watching two months ago and haven't given it much thought sense. The sad thing is that I woke up really wanting to marathon the rest.

I plan to sometime. Still training for it though!

Wait until I have the money to build a new PC and we can simulwatch or something!

after we finish the other 188 episodes of Inuyasha ofc

Branduil

You know, I had something like a six-hour-long nightmare about me being in the Attack on Titan universe last night even though I quit watching two months ago and haven't given it much thought sense. The sad thing is that I woke up really wanting to marathon the rest.

If you do it, just fast-forward through most of episodes 9-12.

Soma

Hah, I had a similar dream the other night too.

And if I were you, I'd probably wait for the show to end before thinking about marathoning the rest. It's been having a (reasonably) good stride lately but with seven more episodes to go, who knows how long that will last.

Dresden

Hmm.

23:00:54 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> who likes boobs? who likes big boobs, who likes flat chests?
23:01:16 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> Zettai Saimune Oppai Sensou
23:01:34 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> Kyounyuu oukoku vs hinnyuu oukoku
23:02:56 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> Boob Wars 2
23:03:03 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> because the first one sold amazingly
23:03:15 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> this is actually from softhouse seal grandee
23:03:20 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> so it's more of a full length title
23:03:35 <bay|Ota|Mangagamer> 4 times as much as boobs, or lack there of ...and average chests join the fray

Narag

Just skip to 15.

Wait until I have the money to build a new PC and we can simulwatch or something!

after we finish the other 188 episodes of Inuyasha ofc

I'm down.

Kazzy

Marathoning something is fine, persisting with something on a weekly basis (if you don't like it) is madness.

I'll probably give AOT a try at some point, but probably only when the season has finished airing. The old recap nonsense frustrates me more than I'd care to mention, I'd selfishly rather not have anything make broadcast. It was absolutely maddening with Girls und Panzer, though understandable.

Looking at a bit of Needless's page, apparently it's like Rosario+Vampire where they crank up the fanservice by butt loads.

Not sure if want.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But that's the best kind of insert song!

Using the OP/ED is easy modo. 99% of insert songs are boring so it makes the ones that stand out shine even more.

If you do it, just fast-forward through most of episodes 9-12.

Hah, I had a similar dream the other night too.

And if I were you, I'd probably wait for the show to end before thinking about marathoning the rest. It's been having a (reasonably) good stride lately but with seven more episodes to go, who knows how long that will last.

Good advice; though this is probably an ephemeral feeling given that dreams are mostly forgotten after a short time so I sort of feel like if I don't do it now, I'm just not ever going to feel like it. Think I'll set aside a few hours tomorrow.

Oh yeah, madp. They did it with dubbed stuff back in the day too. Stabbing Westward ne'er Tekken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qsdP0Oanm_E&t=277
Street Fighter II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQSmVNoDGE

Companies sure had a lot of money to spend on dubs back in the day.

Wow, that Street Fighter II movie has some really stellar animation. Worth watching even if I've never played a second of SF in my life?

Just skip to 15.

I'm down.

Somehow, marathoning increases my tolerance for bad pacing. See: pretty much every shounen I've ever seen to completion.

Looking at a bit of Needless's page, apparently it's like Rosario+Vampire where they crank up the fanservice by butt loads.

Not sure if want.

Needless is basically an even manlier Scryed and more self-aware of just how insanely over-the-top it is. It's great stuff.

Tenumi

Banned
Been busy all day, Hope I didn't miss much. Nothing? Good, good.

I'll be back tomorrow morning to actually catch up on the news from today. And I think I might actually start Fresh Precure tomorrow. I'm feeling up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom