• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

This can't be a BONES show. I refuse to believe it. It really looks nothing at all like their work. There's just nothing about it which makes it remotely look like a BONES show. They've done kid shows before too, and they certainly don't look like this.

Protect us, Saya.

A combination of factors caused my review to be later than usual. Both on the video's end and with personal things I had to do.

Well it wasn't just you. I just didn't find any discussion about it at the places I would hit up for a bit of information, so I thought it didn't grab anyone as much because the next episode seemed more exciting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou 6:

gokt6-1uyu78.gif

Almost as ugly as Tenkai Knights.

I guess that this was a pretty contrived way to bring not-Homura around to not-Madoka's philosophy on the not-witches, but I stopped expecting even the tiniest bit of ambition or unorthodoxy out of this show a long time ago so it worked for what it was. Can we pleaseeeeeee have some plot advancement next week?

Quasar

I hope the questions were along the lines of "What the fuck were you thinking?"

Bit hard to answer unless the novelst is there.

I am kind of curios about what would be asked at such a panel. I guess I could see questions about the upcoming ovas, and about adapting the material and specific choices. And I guess dubbing news if it hasnt been announced.

And of course this raises the question about adaptations and just how much freedom anime people have to change stuff to have shows go in different plot directions. With the exception of I guess A Song of Ice and Fire pretty much no US show gets anywhere near the kind of pure adaptation you see in anime with light novels and manga.

cajunator

Banned
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou 6:

gokt6-1uyu78.gif

Almost as ugly as Tenkai Knights.

I guess that this was a pretty contrived way to bring not-Homura around to not-Madoka's philosophy on the not-witches, but I stopped expecting even the tiniest bit of ambition or unorthodoxy out of this show a long time ago so it worked for what it was. Can we pleaseeeeeee have some plot advancement next week?

There is a ridiculous amount of things going on in that picture.

Don't think so. Think the artist was pissed at how the music was actually used on top of it.

Can chip in and say that they did not use the lyrics at all at any point except for inserts of the OP.

I can't blame the artist for being pissed though. I was pissed when I found out it had lyrics too.

Kiniro Mosaic 6

This show continues to push all the right buttons. There's something hilarious about Shino's blonde girl fetish that never seems to get old and there are plenty of moments where my heart is demolished by cute. Yoko is also still best because fuwafuwa.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 114

Being Mimete is suffering. Also I never mentioned that Professor Tomoe is the greetest. Everyone but Minako is shit talking idol chasers, not aware that Minako is one of THOSE people (and then go oh hay you're amazing. Fake ass friends).

Mimete is super confused, and frankly, not what I expected so far, but she still has some mileage to go before getting killed off. Although considering we have 13 episodes left, I'm not sure how the rest will get show time.

She did get trolled though near the end. She was going to win, but then they went FUCK we need the plot to move, hit the troll button! She seems to have an incompetent set of Daimons though.

Articalys

Oh right, tonight's episode of SAO on Toonami is
the one that the ledge jumping gif is from, so finally everyone will get context (such as it is) for that

cajunator

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic 6

This show continues to push all the right buttons. There's something hilarious about Shino's blonde girl fetish that never seems to get old and there are plenty of moments where my heart is demolished by cute. Yoko is also still best because fuwafuwa.

Cute is pretty powerful stuff. Dont take in too much of it and once and dont operate without a license.

I don't think Im ever going to forget that show or what I saw in it.

Branduil

Oh right, tonight's episode of SAO on Toonami is
the one that the ledge jumping gif is from, so finally everyone will get context (such as it is) for that

So that's where that GIF is from.

So that's where that gif is from.

oHai, that GIF.

Hahahahahahahahaa
Sorry, I've seen that GIF too many times to take that seriously.

hey look, its that gif

Oh so that's the context of that gif.
It's even more funny.

Even in context it's still insanely stupid, and really doesn't make much sense.

ijoHeOXrr1x4A.gif

yami4ct

This I really cannot comprehend. Unless its just easier to watch there.

Some of them watch Toonami out of childhood nostalgia. Some of them because watching something put on your TV is easier than hunting down content yourself. I think the majority of the audience just get exposed to it because it's the stuff aired after Bleach.

Branduil

What the fuck am I looking at? Am I supposed to take this shit seriously?

CHRISTMAS EPISODE

HAVE YOU BEEN NAUGHTY... OR NICE?!?

oh seriously gonna skip the actual fight scene

what

seriously

fuck my life sword art online

Santa Claus boss fight.. that you skipped

You aren't even going to show the fight? C'mon son

Why don't they show the fights. Wtf. This is bullshit.

I'm sure that fight was a waste of time anyway.

Skip the boss fight

this show

I love how we don't even see the fight.

really?

this pacing is all sorts of whack...what?

So they skipped both fights? The fuck?

This is the "skip every important moment" anime.

You have a freakin' giant zombie Santa in a MMO and you don't show the fight with it.

Time skips were annoying before, but this is just plain stupid.

You died months ago! You recorded this THAT far in advance? What the fuck?!
No! NO!

The SAO drinking game take a drink after every time skip.

A revival item as a present on Christmas? Yeah... You're being really fucking clever SAO.

How is the player base full of nothing but beautiful people?

Who sends a Christmas message 6 months ahead of time?

This is terrible. This is a travesty upon quality. It's not even offensive yet. It's just bad. Trying to give us feels by blunt force.

I SAW YOU IN THE NIIIIIIGHT

fuck this shit

She hums terribly. Glad she died.

this is hilaribad. WOAT.

Sword Art Online sucks pretty hard.

So fucking dumb, swear to god guy.

Oh so that's why this episode is called red noise reindeer. Because Japan picked that Christmas song completely out of context.

OH FUCK THE HUMMING

IM IN TEARS

AND THE DHC TO THE ENDING CREDITS. THIS SHOW IS AWESOME

They had to be aware of how ridiculous this was when making it. This has been hilarious so far

Sure I'd feel a little bad if I saw someone I met die, even if it was only for a short moment, but this is waaaay overdoing it.

Holy crap.

And the sleep in the same bed thing? what

and the skipped fights? and the pacing

what the hell

I think they like it guys.

yami4ct

Well most of them are clearly on a computer, I doubt once a week and late at night is easier than going onto CR or some other miscellaneous streaming site.

I would say the nostalgia crowd is the biggest part of the Gaf population. Overall, I'd say Toonami's ratings are from people in their mid to late teens who came into the block because Bleach was on it.

CorvoSol

Ass on Titan 18

For such a fast Titan, took an entire fucking episode to reach fucking Eren and then you could practically SEE Levi dragging the fucking plot out, just biding his time, waiting and hoping that the episode would fucking end before anyone had to do anything or the animators had to fucking draw him doing something.

I mean by N64 textures on those shitty CGI trees do I swear, what a fucking load of NOTHING this goddamn episode was. Hey let's all restate that no one knows what the fuck is going on like twenty times in a row! Did you hear that the right flank had fallen? Hey the right flank has been wiped out! The right flank, it got destroyed! Hey I should be telling people about how there's a female Titan coming straight for Eren and that if you cover your face she'll be less likely to kill you!

Or I can stand her and do fucking NOTHING.

Why is it so hard for this piece of shit show to DO something? In 20 minutes the only good moment was
seeing that guy's body get completely ruined as FemTitan spun him like a toy.
Otherwise it was horses running through the prettiest little N64 game you ever did see.

At least Jean is entertaining, because he's basically been promoted to main character now that the plot has decided to avoid Eren Jaeger at all costs, save it be to have him say what has already been said by every other member of the cast, named or not. God help us if Armin ever does wind up as the real MC. So ready for him to be dead.

yami4ct

Again, why? Why now?

I think we're seeing what little reach the anime community has into the general nerd and action TV show crowd. This is most of there people's first exposure to SAO. Most of them never heard of it before Toonami and if they had, they just knew it as that anime about MMOs.

I think Toonami-Gaf's fun because it gives a glimpse into the thoughts of people not plugged in to the anime scene. It's a different, often fascinating perspective, even if that perspective can be a bit infuriating at times.

Milamber

I think we're seeing what little reach the anime community has into the general nerd and action TV show crowd. This is most of there people's first exposure to SAO. Most of them never heard of it before Toonami and if they had, they just knew it as that anime about MMOs.

I actually meant on the fact that Toonami-GAF clearly enjoys anime as a whole but refuses to leave their little Toonami island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom