• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I actually meant on the fact that Toonami-GAF clearly enjoys anime as a whole but refuses to leave their little Toonami island.

I think a vast majority of Toonami's audience would admit to liking anime. Anime has a massive social stigma attached to it. Anime fans are seen as people to make fun of. They don't see Toonami stuff as anime.

sonicmj1

I actually meant on the fact that Toonami-GAF clearly enjoys anime as a whole but refuses to leave their little Toonami island.

I dunno, but I suspect it's because Toonami is a way of weeding out certain sorts of shows. If they wade into Crunchyroll unprepared, they have to weed through all sorts of crap, or shows in the wrong genre, to get to stuff they'd like. With something like Toonami, they're only presented with action shows that are (presumably) decent, which is a much simpler experience.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anyone in ToonamiGAF who actually makes it to the end of SAO should be forcibly initiated into AnimeGAF, because at that point they'd be lying if they said they were above the...well...everything.

jCHs28K.gif

I never really wondered where this was from but I guess it's good for posterity.

yami4ct

Anyone in ToonamiGAF who actually makes it to the end of SAO should be forcibly initiated into AnimeGAF, because at that point they'd be lying if they said they were above the...well...everything.

SAO is so late in the lineup that if the ratings are anything but mediocre by the end, I'll be surprised. It was setup to be a cheap way to pull in some ratings and fill a late spot in the lineup.

Crocodile

I think we're seeing what little reach the anime community has into the general nerd and action TV show crowd. This is most of there people's first exposure to SAO. Most of them never heard of it before Toonami and if they had, they just knew it as that anime about MMOs.

I think Toonami-Gaf's fun because it gives a glimpse into the thoughts of people not plugged in to the anime scene. It's a different, often fascinating perspective, even if that perspective can be a bit infuriating at times.

1) Considering most of what I've heard about SAO was akin to "worse than cancer" I didn't have much incentive to check it out on my own.

2) It's hard to hate-watch by yourself :p

Branduil

1) Considering most of what I've heard about SAO was akin to "worse than cancer" I didn't have much incentive to check it out on my own.

2) It's hard to hate-watch by yourself :p

I don't know, some people here are pretty good at that.

That reminds me, I need to finish Brain Powerd at some point.

yami4ct

I'm pretty much done with hate watching. There's too many old good anime to watch, games to play, books to read and western TV to see that I don't have time. I really only will hate watch if a show I like turns to crap and I just want to see it through.

iavi

Please nobody watch True Tears.

...I did

*throws on a list*

That's not time I'm getting back.

I'm pretty much done with hate watching. There's too many old good anime to watch, games to play, books to read and western TV to see that I don't have time. I really only will hate watch if a show I like turns to crap and I just want to see it through.

Ditto. I don't have the time to see everything I want to watch. No way in heaven that I'm watching stuff I don't want to watch. That was but a period in the timeline.

fertygo

Too bad new JoJo would have to adapt the pretty damn boring Stardust Crusaders. Oh well, any JoJo is better than no JoJo and would bring us one step closers to a Diamond is not Crash adaptation.

Stardust Crusader is boring? pffftt. I thought you mentioning Diamond before halfway.

yami4ct

Stardust Crusader is boring? pffftt

It's like twice as long as it needs to be. Too many joke fights where they pull "this guy is going to be tough" only to beat him like 5 minutes later. Most of the side characters outside of Polnareff are boring. Also, Part 3 Jotaro is terrible and personality devoid. It has some great moments, but it's nowhere close to as great as Battle Tendency or Diamond.

yami4ct

It's too bad Black Rock Shooter TV will never air on toonami.

There's a lot of shows that I think would work really well for Toonami that I think will get ignored for stuff that's dirt cheap and stuff that has some name recognition. Madoka, Steins;Gate would both be great, but aren't big or cheap enough to get picked up. I'd also love to see Tiger & Bunny on there, but that's likely outside of Toonami's budget.

Stardust Crusader is boring? pffftt

Well it certainly doesn't stack up to Diamond is Unbreakable, that's for sure.

Sailor Uranus SEXY/Spinning 115

Stop wearing that Blue Dress Chibiusa. EDIT: looking at the image, that doesn't look right at all... seems to be off.

Anyway, More Hotaru goodness, seizures and all, and more glimpse of her POWARUS. It appears that Haruka already knows of Professor Tomoe, as she looked suspicious after Hotaru confirmed who she was in that car.

...I want to ride in that car with Haruka.....

Uh what? But yeah, we're getting much closer to dealing with Hotaru, an--- HOLY FUCK! TOEI! WHAT!?

CHECK OUT DAT HARUKA ASS AND BACK NAKED AND EVERYTHING! MOTHERFUCKING KIDS SHOW! THIS AIN'T EVEN A SPLIT SECOND! PLENTY OF TIME TO MARVEL!

I'd be in lesbians with her... but I'm not a girl ._.

cajunator

Banned
Well it certainly doesn't stack up to Diamond is Unbreakable, that's for sure.

Sailor Uranus SEXY/Spinning 115

Stop wearing that Blue Dress Chibiusa. EDIT: looking at the image, that doesn't look right at all... seems to be off.

Anyway, More Hotaru goodness, seizures and all, and more glimpse of her POWARUS. It appears that Haruka already knows of Professor Tomoe, as she looked suspicious after Hotaru confirmed who she was in that car.

...I want to ride in that car with Haruka.....

Uh what? But yeah, we're getting much closer to dealing with Hotaru, an--- HOLY FUCK! TOEI! WHAT!?

CHECK OUT DAT HARUKA ASS AND BACK NAKED AND EVERYTHING! MOTHERFUCKING KIDS SHOW! THIS AIN'T EVEN A SPLIT SECOND! PLENTY OF TIME TO MARVEL!

I'd be in lesbians with her... but I'm not a girl ._.

Shit. My eyes went from her ass to wondering what car that is. I think its a Lamborghini Miura. Are there more scenes with it?

Crocodile

Speaking of Madoka, I saw that recently and I certainly have some......thoughts.......

I just want to know what's the difference between the TV series and the movies (already released and soon to be released)? Are they just retellings of the TV series or something else/more?

yami4ct

Speaking of Madoka, I saw that recently and I certainly have some......thoughts.......

I just want to know what's the difference between the TV series and the movies (already released and soon to be released)? Are they just retellings of the TV series or something else/more?

First two movies are straight retellings. Movie 3 this year will be an all new story.

Jex

Anime is wish fulfillment, which means there's no such thing as community college.

In this instance I was merely referring to the habit of old dubs 'aging' characters by trying to make it seem that they were older than they actually were.

cajunator

Banned

Two of them are a retelling, the latest one is all brand new stuff.

Jex

Ass on Titan 18

For such a fast Titan, took an entire fucking episode to reach fucking Eren and then you could practically SEE Levi dragging the fucking plot out, just biding his time, waiting and hoping that the episode would fucking end before anyone had to do anything or the animators had to fucking draw him doing something.

Look, all the animators are extremely tired from last week and they just need to take a breather, okay? Cut them some slack because everyone enjoys pointless exposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom