• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still can't get over how incredibly racist the last bit in Space Bros was. Fucking hell Japan.
Or they saw the one guy in space who thought it was a good idea to show off his muscles in his pants and associated his with a muscly animal.

Fate/Illya thing 6

This was good. Nice action,
Archerko
, Emiya remix and other musical references, this was like a love letter to Type Moon fans.

The Eccentric Family Episode 6
tumblr_mrdho2DSPY1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Feel bad always having such short things to say on the episodes, but their always such good stories and intriguing for all characters involved. Favorite scene here was the initial jumping scene and then the
crying in the well scene, my eyes felt watery for some reason at that part, or perhaps it was his line about a child crying alone, etc

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's only racist if you know that turning peole into monkeys is racist. Something something cultural differences.
Yeah, where I grew up was a very multicultural part of London so my school was very mixed. I never heard about the monkey association until I started going online (cos I met the Americans who probably clapped after making said association). Though I suppose growing up in a multicultural area meant I was unlikely to come across a lot of racism since we learnt a lot about different cultures and respecting others while in primary school.

Tenumi

Banned
First things first this morning....

Sword Art Online: 03 (Toonami-watch)

RIP cute girl. Oh, and everybody else that died. So is the life of Kirito the beater.

Yeah, where I grew up was a very multicultural part of London so my school was very mixed. I never heard about the monkey association until I started going online (cos I met the Americans who probably clapped after making said association). Though I suppose growing up in a multicultural area meant I was unlikely to come across a lot of racism since we learnt a lot about different cultures and respecting others while in primary school.

Well, the point is that you can see strong characters turning into gorillas in anime and manga all the time.
Like it or not but it's not something they invented to make jokes about black characters, especially the guy is like one of the better characters of the show.

Kurita

Same here. I had never heard of the "black = monkeys" thing before interacting with americans...

I was confused the first time I saw people saying that Eyeshield 21 was racist because a black guy was portrayed as way stronger than Japanese players.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Milky Holmes 5

Hey, that was actually a fun and sweet little story. Good job, show, you're not completely worthless.

Tenumi

Banned
So now I've caught up on yesterday's news....

According to ANN, the Katyusha song in GuP that was missing from the Simulcast is getting changed due to licensing reasons for Sentai's US release. :/

No sale.

:(

Well, I'm hyped.

It still does not matter. He gives them Korean names, watch out.

Do you think that Haim Saban is the only person that works at that company, Novid? Because that's the way you act.

Some of them watch Toonami out of childhood nostalgia. Some of them because watching something put on your TV is easier than hunting down content yourself. I think the majority of the audience just get exposed to it because it's the stuff aired after Bleach.

I watch Toonami because of Nostalgia and because I want to support them. Is there any better reason?

Again, why? Why now?

This is why I ignore Toonami-GAF in the first place.

What is your problem?

Yamada and the Seven Witches 1
tumblr_mrdlrckk4S1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mrdlrckk4S1qbxqfpo3_500.png

Miyamura is amazing, best looks and personality, though Yamada too, his hairstyle even. Loved all of my favorite moments from the manga. Really cant wait for more. Shiraishi (when its Yamada) isnt that bad in live action form either.

Dynedom

Uchouten Kazoku - 06

cjvDIjol.jpg

Man, this show is pretty. It's nice to see the plot threads slowly coming together. The pacing in this anime is really well done. I don't have any sense of impatience for plot reveals because things expand in such a natural and beautiful manner. I want it to be slow so I can soak up everything: the music, the scenery, the dialog.

Real interesting commentaries on
inevitability, mortality, being at peace, etc
. I mean, tying your
position on a food chain
into a
philosphical discussion on mortality and fulfillment
is something I can only see happening in this show. It's good to see that even Yosaburo is troubled by the implications.

It's clear that "idiot blood" is going be a running theme in this show and its interpretation by different characters is going to be central to a lot of character arcs. Speaking of character arcs:

sk0Hi9cl.jpg

I'm really interested to see where Benten's story goes. As other people have suggested,
I'm sensing there is an element of guilt to Benten both possibly crippling the old Tengu and having to kill/eat Yosaburo's dad
and
the moon is either goinn to be yet another metaphor explained in this show or simply reminds her of one (or both) of these events to the point of striking an emotional nerve

Kaisei also proving to be the best unseen character in this series, haha.

Still the show of the season.

Dynedom is on some next level shit. Spoiler tag inside a spoiler tag.

Remember when I said Ando was storyboarding ep7 and 9 of Uchoten? Apparently that was a lie. FML. :(

Aww man, I looked up who he was and everything. Assuming I found the right guy and he storyboarded Sword of the Stranger, I was excited.

cnet128

Banned
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 6

And so another three-episode arc comes to a satisfying end.

Well, I was right about one thing:
Ulla was perfectly capable of sight and speech underneath all those bandages, which were there to hide her true nature from the world.
It's just that her true nature was a little more complex than I thought. Turns out
she has a sort of curse upon her; any living person who she lays eyes on, touches, or who hears her voice will instantly die.
And what's more,
Kiriko and the people of Ortus in general have been hiding this fact from her for her entire life, pretending that they're not dead in order to protect her from the truth about herself.

Upon discovering this, Ai decides
that Ulla needs to know the truth, no matter how hard it might be. She sees a lot of her own upbringing in Ulla's - both raised by the dead while thinking they were alive, both having their own true natures concealed from them - and feels that facing the truth is important for Ulla just as it was for her.
So she takes the Humpney role upon herself, breaking the harsh truth to Ulla, though she's certainly more tactful about it than Humpney ever was.

And as it it turns out,
Ulla was ready to hear the truth all along. She had realised for herself long ago that her gaze had some kind of effect on people and that Kiriko was keeping it secret from her, but she didn't mind not knowing if that was was he thought was best. And thanks to the looks of relief and happiness she's seen on people's faces as she unknowingly took their lives from them, she understands that death isn't necessarily a bad thing here in Ortus.
It all seems like quite a realistic outcome, given the circumstances.

Finally, we get an answer for what's been going on with Scar's condition and the voices she's been hearing:
it turns out Ulla had a twin sister, Celica, who was in a similarly unique situation. Their mother died in childbirth cursing the world and wishing for all the people in it to die (isn't that pleasant?), and while Ulla's "curse" was a result of accepting that wish, her sister's was a result of rejecting it. Somehow she froze herself in time, remaining an infant to the present day, and it seems she was the one calling out to Scar, who is somehow destined to be her new mother.
An unusual resolution that doesn't feel quite as conclusive or satisfying as the outcome of Ulla's story, but I suppose that makes sense since Ulla's story is essentially over, whereas Celica's is still just beginning.

Looking forward to see where this show goes next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom