• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I didn't bother watching beyond the second episode of AO. I never imagined it could go so deep.

It goes deeper. I politely cut myself short when I realized I was straying into reasons the show sucked in general and not just reasons it shits on E7.

There are two great things about the show though. First is that it made a literal retcannon and the second is that the show retcons itself out of existence. How often do you see the later happen?

Oh and glorious adult Eureka.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Adult Eureka and Long Haired Eureka are the best things out of AO and PFoR respectively. Although, to be fair to AO, I really didn't have a problem with most of the main cast. Aside from Naru, Truth, and Apollo Justice, the only characters that pissed me off were Elena toward the end
because of that hilarious revelation that none of her build up meant anything
and of course
Not-Renton.

Oh that reminds me, Corvo have you had your fill of the Eureka Seven franchise?

W-why? I mean the original show will always be one of my favorite anime series ever, but everything that came after it was bad. Why, is there something more I haven't seen yet?

Toei would be proud.

Bwahahaha. Damn.

There should be some kind of law about this

I think there's a difference between referencing NGE and ripping it off. As in, when Elena cracks a joke about there being something hidden beneath Generation Bleu and then strikes the Lillith Pose, that's just a reference for fun. On the other hand, Truth is a pretty blatant evil clone of Kaworu.

Where I would disagree that the original E7 was a rip-off of NGE, and I would not go so far as to say that the whole of AO is either, there are definitely some things that feel less "inspired" or "influenced" by and more "taken directly from the playbook." It's not a 1:1 copy, but it's still bad. Which is par for the course for AO.

Even more than I imagined it could be.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 6

Oh man, the second half started with that recap, and I thought it was just gonna be boring recap fare from then on. Holy SHIT was I wrong! Kamina going through kicking ass in that bathhouse with only Boota (I think) covering his junk was fucking rad.

Blood Lad Episode 6 That’s Friendship
tumblr_mrdsoxNFS71qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best blood lad episode yet. Intense from beginning to end and no complaints at all. The action for both Wolf and Staz was great, musical selections were perfect, and even the bit of comedy and friendship was high. Hyped for next episode
knell / yuki kaji finally, been waiting all season for him

Dynedom

Uchouten Kazoku 06

GC6Dih3l.jpg

I think at times I wasn't even paying attention to the very interesting backstory and dialogue cause I was too entranced by what I was seeing on screen.

Also, man Benten is such an interesting character.

[Uchouten Kazoku] - 6

uchoten6tree1tfa27.jpg

Have I talked about the colour design in and lighting in this show? Because it's off the charts! In the grand scheme of all that this show manages to accomplish the sheer strength of the visual design isn't even the most important item to consider but it is the most obvious one to focus on when you're just sitting back and basking in the series.

I wonder if any Fall 2013 show is going to come even close visually let alone as good in all other places Uchouten excels in.

Mature

[Uchouten Kazoku] - 6
Other things that this show does well include: direction, editing, pacing and most importantly the writing which is head and shoulders above everything else that's currently airing. It's one of the best and most important shows of the year and, like Aku no Hana, it's sure to be one that's talked about and recommended for years to come.
Well then, guess it's time to check it out.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Genshiken 6
What the fuck happened to this show? I'm sure there are people who like this sort of thing, but it's way different from the original and really not my cup of tea.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 117

More like Sexy Twister, that was amazing. Professor Tomoe don't stop pls.

I didn't know Hotaru had hobbies
and Kaorinite appearing twice was also amazing, but Hotaru is right, she's been strange lately, and it bothers me
of course she's also into the athlete that's being targeted because he was also frail much like her. So an idol basically.

The guards are some of the creepiest people I've ever seen, like beautiful men and whatnot doing shit in a stadium, but I endorse their inclusion to this episode

ibkFzv9D9cor5J.gif

That being said, they burned Hotaru's letter D: and it pissed her off, but the Outie Bellie Button Squad notice she's not normal, shit's happening folks! But at least she got to speak with him when this was over.

Sidenote: not sure why they had to bring back the story behind the Outers again. It was also the only time everyone else appeared this episode.

Theonik

Alternate history. Done. They worked really hard on night vision goggles.

A wizard did it.
And Super Helicopters.
Clearly I am not really complaining, they look cool, just an observation. It's similar to how SoRaNoWoTo does this. Though that's set in the far future.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes Seda, welcome to the other side of the coin, or some such thing, Don't get too hung up on the lingo, it will make itself apparent in its due course.

Anyway....

Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episodes 1-4: I really want to like this series, it is obvious it has potential for being good; certainly good enough to warrant further watching. That being said, fuck you Japan, fuck you and your obsession with High School and High School Clubs. I wanted One Piece mixed in with Yamato and I am getting god damned Space K-On! I am significantly less interested in the High School yachting club.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Genshiken 6
What the fuck happened to this show? I'm sure there are people who like this sort of thing, but it's way different from the original and really not my cup of tea.
Well, the OG cast were mostly perverted men. Now it's perverted women. Gender equality!

2q7aqOA.jpg
GdsJXJC.jpg
a6NWScj.jpg

My sides XD

Dog & Scissors 2

lol Sadist was sincerely considering some beastility for a moment there.

The character interaction between the leads is really good in this show. Whether its a funny gag or an emotional scene, both of them can play off one another really well.

Downside is that the animation is really bad. That chase scene and the fight were just mediocre, with the only slightly good thing coming out of it was the criminal mimicking the fighting styles from the books.

cajunator

Banned
Why did I click the link.

Because none of us can resist the words "don't do this"

Ah yes Seda, welcome to the other side of the coin, or some such thing, Don't get too hung up on the lingo, it will make itself apparent in its due course.

Anyway....

Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episodes 1-4: I really want to like this series, it is obvious it has potential for being good; certainly good enough to warrant further watching. That being said, fuck you Japan, fuck you and your obsession with High School and High School Clubs. I wanted One Piece mixed in with Yamato and I am getting god damned Space K-On! I am significantly less interested in the High School yachting club.

The show gets a lot more fun. Lots of space adventure still awaits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dog & Scissors 2

lol Sadist was sincerely considering some beastility for a moment there.

The character interaction between the leads is really good in this show. Whether its a funny gag or an emotional scene, both of them can play off one another really well.

Downside is that the animation is really bad. That chase scene and the fight were just mediocre, with the only slightly good thing coming out of it was the criminal mimicking the fighting styles from the books.

I will say, that hard dere turn made me laugh. It's why I'm still watching the show despite the fact that it isn't really anything new or special.

Get ready for the next arc. :p

Makai Ouji - Devils and Realist 06

mfSM0Zfl.jpg

The :DTL is strong in this episode.

I guess it was amusing. Pretty amused we got more girls crashing this show now.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Episode 5

That was great stuff. After the pizza episode, it was a great idea to bring this later chapter forward as a bridging episode before they start on the Summer arc. I loved this self-contained short story from the manga, and they really did it justice in the anime. Lots of fun. I think this is really shaping up to be a really solid adaptation, because they've done a great job of showcasing all the different sides of the manga very quickly, and each episode has had something different and interesting. The writer on the adaptation did a good job on Bunny Drop too, so I guess this isn't much of a surprise.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 118

4OXNazR.jpg
EJ5kYpj.jpg

Chibiusa, you're banned from picking your clothes

Mimete never realized why you can't throw a bunch of shit in the oven, but now she does, WEIRD SHIT happens. FISH IN THE DRESSER.

Also gambling. Reminds me of back when Pokemon use to have gambling up until HeartGold/SuperiorSilver.

Professor's laugh at the beginning was fantastic, and the fact that he was stuck outside of his home forced him to rely on the Senshis. What's weird is that he transitioned into his real identity and his face being shadowed. Just shows how humane the crew is.

Kurita

I've been wondering something.
How big is (in general) the original author's involvement/input when it comes to adaptations of mangas/novels/LN?

Milamber

I always thought original creators had full control over this stuff but it seems that they really dont.

I always thought that it was purely the directors job on what to adapt from the OC. In reality it still is but they more or less work together depending on the importance of the project.

Or how anal either of them are to each other.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster Episode 44 (bd)
tumblr_mrdut1lED41qbxqfpo1_500.png

Numerous Clotho and Shani scenes made up for the ridiculous and unnecessary need for a insert song/ed for Flay. Why give such an irrelevant and worthless character screentime and love.
especially since she was captured again on the wrong side and worst just leads to trouble for poor Kira. Tossing on the secret even this late isnt good. Cant imagine it will end well for Archangel and Eternal unless they have someway of giving Gundams another upgrade hopefully

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji 1-3

How can something be some beautiful and manly at the same time. Sometime I think they purposely draw everything so ugly just to highlight the majestic of the two main character. I didn't expect much going in, but this show is a pleasant surprise. I really enjoy the story, especially the mix of Sengoku Era and over-the-top manliness like JoJo.

Milamber

"Hey everyone, lets add a brand new mascot character in this anime adaption that is completely annoying and doesn't add anything productive to the series in it self."

Dresden

Okay, so this is a list of Tomihiko Morimi's works:

• Taiyō no tō (2003)
  • The Tatami Galaxy (2004)
  • Sweet Blue Age (2006)
  • Uchōten Kazoku (2007)
  • Yoru wa mijikashi arukeyo otome (2006)
  • Pengin Haiwei (Penguin Highway) (2010) Nihon SF Taisho Award winner.

I want to see Penguin Highway animated next. Make it happen, Japan.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya 05

XdIi6CDl.jpg

Saber always comes in and ruins everybody's day.

The fight was pretty good and I hope all those oh god we can get injured? gets resolved soon.

Okay, so this is a list of Tomihiko Morimi's works:

• Taiyō no tō (2003)
  • The Tatami Galaxy (2004)
  • Sweet Blue Age (2006)
  • Uchōten Kazoku (2007)
  • Yoru wa mijikashi arukeyo otome (2006)
  • Pengin Haiwei (Penguin Highway) (2010) Nihon SF Taisho Award winner.

I want to see Penguin Highway animated next. Make it happen, Japan.

Uchoten Kazoku novel, I wouldnt mind reading it. Maybe people can suggest it to yen to translate since its single volume (and they do do novels, like the Another novel after the anime).

If the others are as interesting as Uchoten then hopefully they get animated, Id be interested in watching.

Sega Saturn Sexy Spinning 119

Speaking of Uchoten

There she is! And there was some terrible art in here. Anyway PLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOT

The Messiah of Silence is of course, Hotaru, who is actually the Sega Saturn destined to destroy the world Hahahaha.

Everyone learns that Rei has been having bad dreams, and understand what's approaching, yet despite learning of Saturn's real identity, they still protect her. Will the Sega Saturn destroy the gaming industry, or will it save us all? Well we know the answer to that already lol.

Branduil

Sorry, I never post in here but I saw myself quoted and some discussion about Toonami and anime and wanted to comment.

I've always been a very casual anime fan. Like several people my age, I saw a couple of the old Toonami classics in elementary and middle school (Gundam Wing, G Gundam, DBZ etc) and I liked a lot of it, I was 12, etc. but during my high school years I pretty much ignored anime completely. Not for any specific reason, I just was busy and interested with other things and never got around to it. It wasn't until my undergraduate that a new friend of mine strongly recommended shows like Full Metal Alchemist when I started to watch a couple of shows on my own again - including some of the classics I had missed at the time like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, and I got a bit more interested in anime in general.

But I'm still a very casual fan (I'm doing my graduate work now) and there's a TON I haven't seen that I want to. I'm slowly getting more into anime even more now thanks to this revived Toonami block as well as the fact that I now chat regularly with big anime watchers (talking near daily basis here, including Neogaffers like kayos90 and sometimes cosmicblizzard). I actually started a watch through of the first few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a show I already know quite a bit about just by references and discussions that show up from time to time. However, I still find that when I have free time by myself I'd often rather do something else than watch anime by myself. Having a scheduled block of shows once a week (most of which I haven't seen) actually works well for me + having a 'chatroom' available as I watch really adds a lot to the experience for me. I think it helps me stay interested in the shows. It's also fun to interact, rage, cry, and whatever in real-time.. I enjoy the 'live' nature of that thread

But in the end I'm still a very casual fan. One reason why I don't post in this thread is that It feels most of the talk in here about the currently running or more recent anime seasons and I'm still primarily watching the much older stuff I missed a long time ago. I'd feel out of place at this point. Also the fact that I'm still not very familiar with the anime scene, I just feel like I can't contribute or participate well in this thread. I have nothing against anime or fans of it or anything like a few of the comments in here seemed to imply.

Oh yes, and Episode 6 of Deadman Wonderland was special night for sure, haha.

Heh, sorry about the quoting. AnimeGAF had its own unique experiences with Sword Art Online, so some of us were curious how it was going to be received by a new audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom