• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Here's some better news. The Bushiroad anime site has finally opened, kinda: http://bushiroad-anime.com/

There isn't much there, but aside from the previous staff information, it also lists Satoshi Mori as the assistant director and the effects director.

tpgPqbI.jpg

Seda

Sorry, I never post in here but I saw myself quoted and some discussion about Toonami and anime and wanted to comment.

I've always been a very casual anime fan. Like several people my age, I saw a couple of the old Toonami classics in elementary and middle school (Gundam Wing, G Gundam, DBZ etc) and I liked a lot of it, I was 12, etc. but during my high school years I pretty much ignored anime completely. Not for any specific reason, I just was busy and interested with other things and never got around to it. It wasn't until my undergraduate that a new friend of mine strongly recommended shows like Full Metal Alchemist when I started to watch a couple of shows on my own again - including some of the classics I had missed at the time like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, and I got a bit more interested in anime in general.

But I'm still a very casual fan (I'm doing my graduate work now) and there's a TON I haven't seen that I want to. I'm slowly getting more into anime even more now thanks to this revived Toonami block as well as the fact that I now chat regularly with big anime watchers (talking near daily basis here, including Neogaffers like kayos90 and sometimes cosmicblizzard). I actually started a watch through of the first few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a show I already know quite a bit about just by references and discussions that show up from time to time. However, I still find that when I have free time by myself I'd often rather do something else than watch anime by myself. Having a scheduled block of shows once a week (most of which I haven't seen) actually works well for me + having a 'chatroom' available as I watch really adds a lot to the experience for me. I think it helps me stay interested in the shows. It's also fun to interact, rage, cry, and whatever in real-time.. I enjoy the 'live' nature of that thread

But in the end I'm still a very casual fan. One reason why I don't post in this thread is that It feels most of the talk in here about the currently running or more recent anime seasons and I'm still primarily watching the much older stuff I missed a long time ago. I'd feel out of place at this point. Also the fact that I'm still not very familiar with the anime scene, I just feel like I can't contribute or participate well in this thread. I have nothing against anime or fans of it or anything like a few of the comments in here seemed to imply.

Oh yes, and Episode 6 of Deadman Wonderland was special night for sure, haha.

Pooya

Attack on Titan -18

1zduoj.jpg

nice, that was very appropriate

IQ level of these guys is a bit low, they really couldn't tell why they're going inside the jungle? ha, that was like half of the episode, Pretty ok episode otherwise.

Syrinx

Sorry, I never post in here but I saw myself quoted and some discussion about Toonami and anime and wanted to comment.

I've always been a very casual anime fan. Like several people my age, I saw a couple of the old Toonami classics in elementary and middle school (Gundam Wing, G Gundam, DBZ etc) and I liked a lot of it, I was 12, etc. but during my high school years I pretty much ignored anime completely. Not for any specific reason, I just was busy and interested with other things and never got around to it. It wasn't until my undergraduate that a new friend of mine strongly recommended shows like Full Metal Alchemist when I started to watch a couple of shows on my own again - including some of the classics I had missed at the time like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, and I got a bit more interested in anime in general.

But I'm still a very casual fan (I'm doing my graduate work now) and there's a TON I haven't seen that I want to. I'm slowly getting more into anime even more now thanks to this revived Toonami block as well as the fact that I now chat regularly with big anime watchers (talking near daily basis here, including Neogaffers like kayos90 and sometimes cosmicblizzard). I actually started a watch through of the first few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a show I already know quite a bit about just by references and discussions that show up from time to time. However, I still find that when I have free time by myself I'd often rather do something else than watch anime by myself. Having a scheduled block of shows once a week (most of which I haven't seen) actually works well for me + having a 'chatroom' available as I watch really adds a lot to the experience for me. I think it helps me stay interested in the shows. It's also fun to interact, rage, cry, and whatever in real-time.. I enjoy the 'live' nature of that thread

But in the end I'm still a very casual fan. One reason why I don't post in this thread is that It feels most of the talk in here about the currently running or more recent anime seasons and I'm still primarily watching the much older stuff I missed a long time ago. I'd feel out of place at this point. Also the fact that I'm still not very familiar with the anime scene, I just feel like I can't contribute or participate well in this thread. I have nothing against anime or fans of it or anything like a few of the comments in here seemed to imply.

I kinda understand how you'd feel out of place; hell, most of my impressions are from my massive backlog of shows I'm just now catching up to as I was also pretty much out of the anime scene for a good while. Just keep in mind that this place can be very active in talking about old stuff; hell, I don't remember the last time in here there wasn't at least one person watching Sailor Moon, and old stuff like Utena and Evangelion can provoke a lot of discussion around here as well. So if you want to talk about anything, new or old, you can probably have a good discussion about it in these parts.

Uchouten Kazoku - 06

cjvDIjol.jpg

Stop Dynedom, stop! You said all the things I wanted to say!

This episode has been beautiful, so many good parts visually speaking. The part of her looking at the moon, when she disappears into the light, hnnng.
Also, while the episode has been kind of a slow one (just finishing up the storyline of the previous episode, the aftermath of the dinner), it has been especially filled with feels: the last moments of the father, the philosophical discussion of mortality and the food chain with the slightly creepy and crazy but affectionate professor, and the glimpse to
the real Benten who hides through a façade of power and whims.

One option is guiltiness of eaten the tanukis and the accident of Professor Adakama. But I think it's related to the normal, mundane life she lost when she was kidnapped and went into Tengu society. She also may feel lonely in the heights of power.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

[...]

That doesn't matter, really. I'm not watching anything new right now (other than Majestic Prince, but I'm going slow and not up with everyone else), lots of people watch old stuff too, and a lot of us love watching as other members go through shows we love (or hate, or love to hate).

Narag

I kinda understand how you'd feel out of place; hell, most of my impressions are from my massive backlog of shows I'm just now catching up to as I was also pretty much out of the anime scene for a good while. Just keep in mind that this place can be very active in talking about old stuff; hell, I don't remember the last time in here there wasn't at least one person watching Sailor Moon, and old stuff like Utena and Evangelion can provoke a lot of discussion around here as well. So if you want to talk about anything, new or old, you can probably have a good discussion about it in these parts.

the older the better, i say

Kurita

That doesn't matter, really. I'm not watching anything new right now (other than Majestic Prince, but I'm going slow and not up with everyone else), lots of people watch old stuff too, and a lot of us love watching as other members go through shows we love (or hate, or love to hate).
I'm only watching dramas right now so there's that!

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist 6
tumblr_mrdovd9gj11qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mrdovd9gj11qbxqfpo2_500.png

Everybody wants William Twining (even Swallow
human style otp, sorry Isaac :(
. Regardless, still leaning towards Dantalion, hopefully thats the choice end of day.

The whole Kevin/Uriel thing was shocking didnt think he'd actually be an angel. Raguel quite good, though is there some Kevin v Raguel going on. Too bad hes focused on William :(

cnet128

Banned
One reason why I don't post in this thread is that It feels most of the talk in here about the currently running or more recent anime seasons and I'm still primarily watching the much older stuff I missed a long time ago. I'd feel out of place at this point. Also the fact that I'm still not very familiar with the anime scene, I just feel like I can't contribute or participate well in this thread. I have nothing against anime or fans of it or anything like a few of the comments in here seemed to imply.

Well, many of the most popular posts in this thread have been impressions of older series posted by people going through them for the first time, so don't feel like you have to be watching recent series to participate. It helps, of course, since there are always a lot of people watching the current stuff, but it's by no means essential. There's a huge range of discussion in here, so I doubt you'd find a single person in this thread who can say they consider every post in this thread relevant to them. It's all about skimming over the impressions and discussions that aren't relevant to your interests and participating in those that are.

That said, I can absolutely understand if you feel like this thread isn't for you; it moves really fast and can be a lot of work to keep up on, and it might be difficult to motivate yourself to do so if you're only interested in a small portion of the series being discussed. I didn't start posting here myself for a long time for that very reason (and only really started posting here after I started watching most of the current anime each season).

Shingeki no Kyojin 18

Aw c'mon, you can't end the episode there!

Episode did a good job building up the
Female Titan
as a threat. But I feel all that "
what the heck happened to the plan
" buildup would have worked much better if we actually got to see a little of the payoff before the episode ended. Cutting off after "
cover your ears
" just feels awkward. Almost feels like a non-sequitur.

cajunator

Banned
Blue Exorcist movie have some outstanding art, dayum..

Wow. It really does. First thing I saw when I looked at this picture was "tower of babel" lol.

Fate kaleid what the heck was that in this episode Ilya - 06

10/10
Yes this episode was 10/10 tier.

First ..this ep is 10/10 material... so good , so well animated.. such a great fight ...such an ending !!

This THIS is what i look forward in my magical girl show anime.. heck it reminded me of nanoha As at times..

SUPERB.

Episode 5 was very good but damn if episode 6 didn't step on it like no tomorrow..

GLORIOUS ,10/10, want more , i guess i'll rewatch this episode again. DAT friendship in the END.

My next candidate for a manga to read is now Fate Kaleid .. I'm hyped

EDIt : rewatching the episode i just realised that there was an animation defect/error during the fight.
Damn the episode is only 9.9/10..

Yeah the show has progressively been getting better.

Wish I could go to the Watanabe panel today but stuck in seating line for Kanno concert.

This is whats known as a happy dilemma

OH GOD THE UNDERBOOB! MY EYES!

Fresh Pretty Cure!: 01

Heterosexual romance? In my Precure? Nooooooooo!

Her name is really Love? Wow.... Wait a second *Looks closer at image* Boobies!

Heterosexual romance was a thing up until Fresh was done. Yes! 5 and GoGo is the most heterosexual though.... but with animals.

Seda

That said, I can absolutely understand if you feel like this thread isn't for you; it moves really fast and can be a lot of work to keep up on, and it might be difficult to motivate yourself to do so if you're only interested in a small portion of the series being discussed. I didn't start posting here myself for a long time for that very reason (and only really started posting here after I started watching most of the current anime each season).

That is also true. With Toonami stuff I can comment on anything being discussed in there (other than the Hunter X Hunter stuff that shows up from time to time) but here 90% of the posts are jargon to me. I don't know what any of these shows are and that would make a large portion of reading this thread to be, well, pointless for me.

In short, my ignorance of most things anime-related, even though I have gained interest in it, is generally the main reason I haven't participated in here.

Perhaps I will start putting my (non-Toonami) watch impressions in here though and see what happens. Like I said before, currently watching NGE.

Theonik

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
ibivIGNCw0CMeR.png

[REDACTED] also good C96
This was pretty great. I see Oshii had a hand on this too, though he only did the screenplay.
Okiura really nailed the atmosphere for this to a T.
Also I don't think I'll ever tire of fake nazis. Like similar works though it also suffers from that oddity where you have people inexplicably using WWII equipment in a much more advanced setting, but I suppose it just looks cool so I can't really be too bothered about it.
Music was pretty great too though much of the film actually was silent, which I suppose isn't that unusual. It also had some very pretty cuts of animation
Just watch it people!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think it's really a spoiler to say Space Brothers did a time skip. I suppose that somehow makes it more likely that we'll see him go to the Moon before the series ends though, because another 4 years of training would have been too much. Still, as a show that hasn't been shy about showing everything - I'm speaking of you, selection arc - I'm surprised they pulled that card as easily as they did.

Tenumi

Banned
Heterosexual romance was a thing up until Fresh was done. Yes! 5 and GoGo is the most heterosexual though.... but with animals.

I'm suddenly disturbed.... yet intrigued.

Breast Pretty Cure!: 02

So we've got Peach and Berry now. Also, a monster that is made from a drink machine. Scary. Even more scary was the "dancing" at the end of the episode (And I'm talking about the CG ending, either).

On the plus side, Eas's outfit is quite nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yamada and the Seven Witches 1
tumblr_mrdlrckk4S1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mrdlrckk4S1qbxqfpo3_500.png

Miyamura is amazing, best looks and personality, though Yamada too, his hairstyle even. Loved all of my favorite moments from the manga. Really cant wait for more. Shiraishi (when its Yamada) isnt that bad in live action form either.

---

I guess this is related:
2edTiQxl.jpg

I really did forget how yaoi the early arc of Genshiken TNG really was. I don't even have to wait for the Hato stuff at this point. lol

Not in threads Seda posts in clrearly.

I don't know, I mean Regulus does post in many places, gaming side included.

I'm suddenly disturbed.... yet intrigued.

Breast Pretty Cure!: 02

So we've got Peach and Berry now. Also, a monster that is made from a drink machine. Scary. Even more scary was the "dancing" at the end of the episode (And I'm talking about the CG ending, either).

On the plus side, Eas's outfit is quite nice.

And joining this cast is Eas as the most sexualized villain, and Cure Berry, one of the worst Precures ever.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 116

Despite Haruka telling Usagi to not let ChibiUnitedStatesofAmerica get near Hotaru, she does it anyway.

And we have a family picnic, with no one else showing up besides the Outer Navels. Everyone was blushing over the fact that the Victim of the Week "got around" (and his wife is apparently pregnant at the end of the episode, awww yeah).

Hotaru's Darkness is apparently saving them, but they don't know it yet, I'm going to feel a bit sad when they find out the truth behind Hotaru and the Best Villain yet.

I'm still bothered by the fact that Kaorinite still exists, and it gives me a very sinister feeling about her.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure!: 03

Going for a pace of 3 episodes a day, excluding rest days, of course.

Anyway, so now we've got three Precure. But what about that fourth key-thingy? I'm sure that won't be brought up for a while. Gotta have that mid-season addition, right?

Fresh Pretty Cure!: 03

Going for a pace of 3 episodes a day, excluding rest days, of course.

Anyway, so now we've got three Precure. But what about that fourth key-thingy? I'm sure that won't be brought up for a while. Gotta have that mid-season addition, right?

A great midseason no less.

Blood Lad - Episode 6

Best... Episode... Ever! Wow, just wow. The fighting in this anime is A tier to me. I need to get my friends watching this anime stat if this kind of action keeps up. This is the kind of action show I've been looking for ever since Beelzebub stopped running. I might even start reading the manga now.

Also, I was laughing when Staz was about to do
the kamehameha
. Nice.

Jex

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

This was pretty great. I see Oshii had a hand on this too, though he only did the screenplay.
Okiura really nailed the atmosphere for this to a T.
Also I don't think I'll ever tire of fake nazis. Like similar works though it also suffers from that oddity where you have people inexplicably using WWII equipment in a much more advanced setting, but I suppose it just looks cool so I can't really be too bothered about it.
Music was pretty great too though much of the film actually was silent, which I suppose isn't that unusual. It also had some very pretty cuts of animation
Just watch it people!
But it set in the 50's!

digimon xros wars 1

gestapo.jpg

this is a kids show?

so this show is pretty much nobunaga ambition + voltron. i can dig that.

Show does also seem noticeably better animated than previous ones.

cajunator

Banned

For some people, they may have been born or very young around the time stuff like cowboy Bebop aired. I can understand that. theres a new generation of anime watchers. Some people may be genuinely busy with life and just watch toonami in their free time. I definitely understand all that. however I do think they are missing out on a whole lot by limiting themselves to toonami shows. Theres just so much more to offer in this medium.
Literally thousands of shows waiting to be seen.

That was not nice.

Uchouten Kazoku 06

GC6Dih3l.jpg

I think at times I wasn't even paying attention to the very interesting backstory and dialogue cause I was too entranced by what I was seeing on screen.

Also, man Benten is such an interesting character.

Jex

[Uchouten Kazoku] - 6

uchoten6tree1tfa27.jpg

Have I talked about the colour design in and lighting in this show? Because it's off the charts! In the grand scheme of all that this show manages to accomplish the sheer strength of the visual design isn't even the most important item to consider but it is the most obvious one to focus on when you're just sitting back and basking in the series.

Other things that this show does well include: direction, editing, pacing and most importantly the writing which is head and shoulders above everything else that's currently airing. It's one of the best and most important shows of the year and, like Aku no Hana, it's sure to be one that's talked about and recommended for years to come.

One of the reasons I watch anime is to see shows like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom