• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Uchouten Kazoku 06

So good. Things keep getting more crazy, with
the revelation that Benten was straight up kidnapped. I guess that's something that Tengu are known for in mythology? I think it's fair to say that she didn't know she was eating his Dad (maybe had no idea Tanuki were intelligent creatures or that Yasaburo was one) and is still completely beat up about it.
It's really screwy that the Professor is still eating Tanuki even after realizing that they
can speak.

This remains the best show of the season. I'm sad that the book isn't translated.

Jex

Okay, so this is a list of Tomihiko Morimi's works:

• Taiyō no tō (2003)
  • The Tatami Galaxy (2004)
  • Sweet Blue Age (2006)
  • Uchōten Kazoku (2007)
  • Yoru wa mijikashi arukeyo otome (2006)
  • Pengin Haiwei (Penguin Highway) (2010) Nihon SF Taisho Award winner.

I want to see Penguin Highway animated next. Make it happen, Japan.

I can safely say that I know nothing about these works but anything with Penguin in the title has to be promising.

Branduil

I haven't seen Star Wars either

ijv9b97WHTrIO.gif

BluWacky

Dresden's list of Morimi's novels isn't quite complete.

JWiki lists the following other books:

The Fox's Tale (Kitsune no Hanashi) (2006)
Run, Melos! A New Interpretation (2007)
The Art of Writing Love Letters (Koibumi no Gijutsu) (2009)
Yoiyama Kaleidoscope (2009)
A book that I think might be a sequel to Tatami Galaxy that I'd probably call Observations of the Tatami Kingdom (Yojouhan Oukoku Kenbun) (2011)
The Adventures of a Holy Slacker (Seinaru Namakemono no Bouken) (2013)

It's worth noting that Taiyou no Tou ("Tower of the Sun") also won the Japan Fantasy Novel Award on release.

Penguin Highway sounds awesome, incidentally:

Amazon JP's synopsis said:
I'm only in my fourth year of elementary school, but there's a lot of things I know more about than grown-ups do. That's because I read books and take lots of notes every day. One day, suddenly penguins appeared in the suburb where I live. I learnt that this strange event had something to do with the mysterious powers of the lady who works at the dentist, and I investigated this mystery...

Apparently one of the major themes of the novel is the theory of relativity, of course.

Envelope said:
Penguindrum should have dispelled that notion

Hush, you. You're on The List with darkside and the other Pingdrum haters :p

santeesioux

Why did i have to go and watch the Haruhi Suzumiya movie? I'd have been fine with there being no more anime if i had just finished after the show ended, but since the movie was so good, i must have moar! It also doesn't help that nothing has been made sine the movie years ago either, and looks like nothing will be done.

cajunator

Banned
Okay, so this is a list of Tomihiko Morimi's works:

• Taiyō no tō (2003)
  • The Tatami Galaxy (2004)
  • Sweet Blue Age (2006)
  • Uchōten Kazoku (2007)
  • Yoru wa mijikashi arukeyo otome (2006)
  • Pengin Haiwei (Penguin Highway) (2010) Nihon SF Taisho Award winner.

I want to see Penguin Highway animated next. Make it happen, Japan.

Anything with Penguin in the name is something Id like to see!

But there is noBody here that Would do that, right?

image.php

How is that even possible

Star Wars is fairly old. Some people are quite young. Its not completely impossible.

LordCanti

Yeah but it still took half damage.

It's not Ikuhara's fault that anime had a few glowing weak points that could be attacked for massive damage.

Why did i have to go and watch the Haruhi Suzumiya movie? I'd have been fine with there being no more anime if i had just finished after the show ended, but since the movie was so good, i must have moar! It also doesn't help that nothing has been made sine the movie years ago either, and looks like nothing will be done.

Is there Haruhi beyond the uhh... uhh... same episode repeated a bunch of times thing? I stopped there and never returned.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's not Ikuhara's fault that anime had a few glowing weak points that could be attacked for massive damage.

Is there Haruhi beyond the uhh... uhh... same episode repeated a bunch of times thing? I stopped there and never returned.

haruhi is an endless abyss of the worst anime has to offer

Besides the extremely amazing Disappearance movie that everyone should watch, there's the arc that explains how the film they all filmed got made.

I liked Endless Eight more than that.

santeesioux

There's another arc and then the movie. I only watched three of the repeat episodes, i was weak. The show was only average to above average for me, but the movie made it all worth watching.

Same here. I had never heard of the "black = monkeys" thing before interacting with americans...

I was confused the first time I saw people saying that Eyeshield 21 was racist because a black guy was portrayed as way stronger than Japanese players.

It wasn't just that he was stronger, it was the "muscles only blacks have," which is a way of thinking lifted straight out of old scientific racism.

LordCanti

There's another arc and then the movie. I only watched three of the repeat episodes, i was weak. The show was only average to above average for me, but the movie made it all worth watching.

I'll add the movie to my list of things I need to watch then.

It wasn't just that he was stronger, it was the "muscles only blacks have," which is a way of thinking lifted straight out of old scientific racism.

That's almost Mr. Popo levels of racism. Almost.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 120

Telulu is revealed, meaning Mimete is going to get killed off here

PLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTPLOT

Eudial still has some relevence in regards to their machines.

In any case, it's revealed that Professor Tomoe is the owner of MUGEN Academy, which Haruka, Michiru and Hotaru attends, the former two are in as undercover agents.
Three years ago there was an accident that left the Professor and Tomoe unscathed, which in a flashback from Hotaru reveals that an entity is possessing her father. I knew he was too down to earth as a villain.
The Genetic mutation of Daimons are also linked to his abilty of being a genetic engineer.

It was also mean that everyone else must be involved with the Academy.

Mimete dies via having her plug pulled, keeping her in the Shadow Realm forever.

Plot is really ramping up now, although I wonder why bother introducing Telulu now? Well we'll see!

digimon xros wars 1

gestapo.jpg

this is a kids show?

so this show is pretty much nobunaga ambition + voltron. i can dig that.

Show does also seem noticeably better animated than previous ones.

You haven't even arrived to the point where it gets good.
And yeah they have a pretty good animation but like every 50 ep series , there will come the time where it'll be "less good".

BluWacky

If anyone can confirm the playlist from Yoko Kanno's concert at Otakon I will be forever in your debt; I've found one Twitter listing that suggests she played the following but I'd be grateful if someone could say for certain so I can seethe with the correct amount of jealousy while listening to the bootleg of her big 2009 concert...

Tank! (duh)
Chikyuu Kyoumei (omg omg chikyuu kyoumei on piano omg I'm in arjuna fanboy heaven)
Gravity
Memory of Fanelia/Aoi Hitomi
The Real Folk Blues
Rakuen
Power Of The Light

Plus the Star Spangled Banner at the end?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've seen like two Star Wars films. Like one from the original trilogy and Episode II cos I went with some friends. I had more important things to do like read the Mr. Men books.

Caesnd

Uchouten Kazoku really hits the spot for me. The mood of the show is so good, and I don't think there's a character that I don't want to know more about. in fact, Yodogawa really reminded me of one of my teachers, the way he acted.

I know. Still kinda interesting.
Also I really like what they went with. I pretty much only watched this originally because of the Gas Mask designs.

I don't know how the movie was marketed around the time of its release, but the images you get on a simply image search are indeed misleading, to say the least.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 7

Damn, this show is crazy. I thought for sure that this would be a point where Kamina and Simon were left near dead and Kamina begins to reflect on his principles, but Simon ended up bailing them out and they escaped as ultra-bros are wont to do.

Oh, and new friends have shown up. It's a team now.

The next episode better crank it up to 11 with how they're hyping it up.

Jarmel

Banned
If anyone can confirm the playlist from Yoko Kanno's concert at Otakon I will be forever in your debt; I've found one Twitter listing that suggests she played the following but I'd be grateful if someone could say for certain so I can seethe with the correct amount of jealousy while listening to the bootleg of her big 2009 concert...

Tank! (duh)
Chikyuu Kyoumei (omg omg chikyuu kyoumei on piano omg I'm in arjuna fanboy heaven)
Gravity
The Real Folk Blues
Rakuen
Power Of The Light

They left out the best one.

Innocent Green.

That was either after the Arjuna piece or Gravity but I think the former.

Yes she also played the Star Spangled Banner at the end and Tank again for the encore. Also Real Folk Blue was the 2nd to last song.

USA USA USA USA

cajunator

Banned
He's up past his bedtime too.

A lot of gaf probably is. Buncha rebels!

Tank! (duh)
Gravity
The Real Folk Blues
Rakuen
Power Of The Light

No Mameshiba no sale!

I guess it technically is about as long as watching all of Endless Eight. Still a much better choice, though.

This is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom