• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP-620x.jpg

One Piece 604

The debut of Luffy's UFO move was a sight to see.

Anime did a good job of improving that scene between Zoro and Luffy about taking things more seriously in the New World.

DiGiKerot

did anyone make a bootleg of the yoko kanno concert >..> <..<

I suppose it's not entirely impossible that someone could have managed audio only somehow, but they were pretty thoroughly patrolling watching for people doing suspect things in the main hall, and the people I talked to in the other room said much the same was going on there, so video is pretty unlikely.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Doki 28:

cork gun game &#10004;
goldfish game &#10004;
mascot gets mistaken for a prize toy &#10004;
festival-themed MotW &#10004;

shitty copypasta festival episode.

CorvoSol

Joke referencing the "Awesome" Fan Art thread, where the Lion King and to a lesser extent other Disney animals are the next most popular thing to make everything into after Sonic and Ponies.

Just thought I'd also let everyone know that my opinion of Majestic Prince was dramatically improved this Saturday. Because I realized that whatever else MJP is, it is an infinitely better show than Attack on Titan. Whatever complaints I might have with MJP, at least Izuru and his team go out and do shit. I mean yeah, it was dumb waiting the whole episode for Goku to drop the Spirit Bomb only for it to fail, but they fixed that in the next episode. Ass of Titan would've taken like seven more episodes to fix that, would've given me half of an animated action scene set in a Sega Saturn backdrop and then done it again.

So expect to see MJP jump up in my rankings next thread, because I've come to appreciate the show a great deal in the last three days. Other notes: Gundam 00 S1 will likely move up, because SRWZ2 has healed that sore (Gundam 00 S2 remains the worst Gundam show ever made.), and you can, of course, expect Attack on Titan to be as far down as I can put it.

Narag

I still don't get why this is in licensing hell in the US. Maybe Funi just doesn't watch to pony up the scratch. :(

At this point, maybe folk are waiting for the new series so they can license it all at once. Or it's just too expensive like you said.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 178
Fake yuri, reverse furries, and tons of inter-species netorare (Artemis has it rough). Yep, this is Sailor Moon alright!

So, real talk, so far Seiya is the only Starlight worth caring about. Takun is a dweeb and whatshisface was in an Ami-budget episode. I'm also thoroughly disappointed that, after two seasons with great stock footage, the henshin, finishing move, and villain reveal animations are incredibly underwhelming. Episode was still great on the comedy department, at least (fucking
Sailor Iron Mouse walking out on Moon's long-winded speech
).

Narag

Remember the part where the dog was murdered in the first five minutes of the movie? He got off light because he's technically omnivorous, I'm sure.

Just ask the villains in An American Tail & Land Before Time.

This is ruining my childhood more effectively than any rule 34 I might stumble upon.

Novid

Banned
guys... the shit they pulled off in Regan's era was crazy.

Lets not get started on the second Gi-Joe movie (animated) and the animated Chipmunks Movie (which they tried to recreate in the second live action movie but it was more fucked up than in the 80's version)

Attack on Titan 1-4

I guess I'm all in on this.

But is there any reason I should read the manga first?

No. Anime is much better at first because it doesn't jump around in time like the manga does. Only real negative is the very minor censorship, which you can just skim through the corresponding chapters to see what got censored.

May be a fine idea after the anime ends though.

Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning (engDub)
tumblr_mk6t2rvQl41qlpbujo8_500.png

The movie was pretty good even if filled with scenes we'd scene but additional takes on moments and expanded backstories really helped a few things. Really enjoyed it and just the many minor and littles things made it a blast (Ivan always being there, excited to get a tiny moment of screentime, or just by himself saying something then fading to the background, poor guy, but still always my favorite). Best minor scene was their peeks into the trailers each character used to change, and then the scene with Ivan and Keith running.

Amusement park with Robin Baxter was quite entertaining and enjoyable and I didnt recognize his english voice at all. I hope we get more original characters in the future.
Also for plot the kid and the statue was a good inclusion. Was a really well done scene and touching how Kotetsu let him save the day to instill and boost confidence.

Only criticism
Yuri could have been involved in this instead of just sitting at his desk, and did we really need to see Blue Rose say her key line over four times?

Seda

Okay, so I'll go ahead and post so quickie write-ups from time to time in here for shows I'm watching in here. I don't watch a lot nor do I watch at a expeditious pace so these may come a bit infrequently and/or sporadically. I'm also likely sticking with older/classic stuff for now.

Currently I'm watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, a show I already know a fair amount about due through a sort of general osmosis of its popularity but I finally decided to actually set aside time and watch it myself. I saw the first Rebuild movie already but that is it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-3

I see that 'You Are (Not) Alone' followed these three episodes nearly directly, almost everything is the same so far, or at least I can't recall something that wasn't in 1.0 or vice-versa. Shinji isn't the most likable guy at this point but considering the situation I can't really blame him for being the way he is. Seeing him freak out against the second angel in episode 3 was satisfying however. Misato is a bit of a ditz but it is clear she means well and tries to cheer Shinji up.

Pacing of the show is quite good at this point, nothing too boring but it's not progressing too quickly to keep on top of what is happening. In general I'm definitely interested in seeing where this series goes.

And why is there a penguin.

Novid

Banned
Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning (engDub)
tumblr_mk6t2rvQl41qlpbujo8_500.png

The movie was pretty good even if filled with scenes we'd scene but additional takes on moments and expanded backstories really helped a few things. Really enjoyed it and just the many minor and littles things made it a blast (Ivan always being there, excited to get a tiny moment of screentime, or just by himself saying something then fading to the background, poor guy, but still always my favorite). Best minor scene was their peeks into the trailers each character used to change, and then the scene with Ivan and Keith running.

Amusement park with Robin Baxter was quite entertaining and enjoyable and I didnt recognize his english voice at all. I hope we get more original characters in the future.
Also for plot the kid and the statue was a good inclusion. Was a really well done scene and touching how Kotetsu let him save the day to instill and boost confidence.

Only criticism
Yuri could have been involved in this instead of just sitting at his desk, and did we really need to see Blue Rose say her key line over four times?

Interesting they never changed the Softbank ad with a Sprint (Because Softbank and Sprint are one and the same now.)

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 127 END

One last Sailor Venus Upskirt for the road.

Farewell party for Chibiusa, and one last Daimon to kill, Chibi Moon saves the day in the end, as Neo Queen Serenity allowed her to stay. I mean, we have SuperSilly following up right?

========

In short, Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning strayed from the numerous upskirts (but still had some) and upped the sexiness anyway with more subtext and more yelling "KIDS SHOW", giving us a taste of our superior childhood with its strengths. Before you know, political correctness infested more and more of our daily lives.

We have a team that stood against idealism, a down to earth villain cast, with a Nutty Professor being the most entertaining villain set out there, even giving him a great theme to go with him. From the beginning, we saw two different sides of the cast, primarily civilian interactions and Senshi interaction, which later converged into one once they learned of each other's identities.

Musically speaking, it reminded me that I liked jazz and yet have very little to show of this (my inner black is showing). Now then,. it does have something that will concern me later. Rather, the Inner Senshis were pretty much phased out over a period of time, along with Tuxedo Mask, the latter I have no real issues with, not because he's annoying, I like him now. But it was kinda frustrated seeing him save them constantly to the point that it made them look underwhelming, granted, it doesn't help that the others don't get any buffs whatsoever, and I'm not too sure what to expect from them going outwards.

Speaking of which, while the villain cast was great, only half of them really got much of a showing, whereas the last three minions pretty much got displayed for one episode and then got themselves killed. They realized the Daimon plan wasn't doing well, but I wonder if it's like a poke at how monster of the weeks drags things with Mahou Shoujos. *shrugs*

That being said, I actually enjoyed it, and will continue onward as I watch the S movie, and then move on to SuperSilly.

Narag

anno said:
Super straightforward naming, but I thought the repetition sounded cute. His name has officially become the 2nd power of Pen [Pen²]. I was reluctant at first, but we thought we needed a mascot character, so we had an animal appear in the show. As it happened, the show is set in Hakone, which one associates with hot springs, which in turn are associated with monkeys. But that is no fun, so we decided to make it a penguin, the animal least suited to a hot spring. I'm positive that Sadamoto came up with the idea of a "hot spring penguin".

Kind of hope it and other huge properties that are unlicensed (Gundams...) dont all go to Funi. Dont understand why people want Funi to get everything.

Part of that Funi leak was a Gundam SEED image. I don't see them splitting the franchise up among licensors.

Novid

Banned
Well I can imagine, but you'd think they'd make it back and then some.

OH man...DBZ on its face doesn't make that much money - until you realize they air on 2 networks. The Blu-Ray's sell. etc. Then theres the Fox Movie

For such a deal to happen for Sailor Moon you must get Hollywood backing, end of story. Its that HIGH.

Tenumi

Banned
Note to self: When making in-joke related to anime, keep it to the anime thread. Otherwise, confusion ensues.

Poor Katyusha...

cajunator

Banned
guys... the shit they pulled off in Regan's era was crazy.

Lets not get started on the second Gi-Joe movie (animated) and the animated Chipmunks Movie (which they tried to recreate in the second live action movie but it was more fucked up than in the 80's version)

whoa whoa...do NOT hate on the Chipmunks movie!

Okay, so I'll go ahead and post so quickie write-ups from time to time in here for shows I'm watching in here. I don't watch a lot nor do I watch at a expeditious pace so these may come a bit infrequently and/or sporadically. I'm also likely sticking with older/classic stuff for now.

Currently I'm watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, a show I already know a fair amount about due through a sort of general osmosis of it's popularity but I finally decided to actually set aside time and watch it myself. I saw the first Rebuild movie already but that is it.

I see that 'You Are (Not) Alone' followed these three episodes nearly directly, almost everything is the same so far, or at least I can't recall something that wasn't in 1.0 or vice-versa. Shinji isn't the most likable guy at this point but considering the situation I can't really blame him for being the way he is. Seeing him freak out against the second angel in episode 3 was satisfying however. Misato is a bit of a ditz but it is clear she means well and tries to cheer Shinji up.

Pacing of the show is quite good at this point, nothing too boring but it's not progressing too quickly to keep on top of what is happening. In general I'm definitely interested in seeing where this series goes.

Because penguins are AWESOME and Penpen is one of the very best.

Syrinx

To Loveru 18

...Wow, they really had no problem whatsoever sending that guy to space against his will, did they?

And why'd they dress him as a fish?

Jarmel

Banned
Yea, Wo Qui Non Coin is definitely the one she sang and was accompanied by the bag and credits. I think Rakuen was the one accompanied by the bird visual after relistening to the song. So Gravity did come earlier but I'm not sure where. I'm placing it after Chikyuu but I'm not sure about that. Boy this list is a pain in the ass.

1.Tank!
2.Nomad Soul
3.Innocent Green
4.Chikyuu
5.Gravity
6.Rakuen, visual with bird
7.Monochrome sung along with prerecorded voice(in that the prerecorded voice was in addition to her voice), visual with pulse machine
8.Memory of Fanelia
9.Real Folk Blues
10.Wo Qui Non Coin sung solo, visual with plastic bag and credits
11.Power of the Light
12.Tank! But played faster
13.Star Spangled Banner

santeesioux

It's pretty much a given that we need to get Seda to watch School Days next, right?

Some people may think it's a classic, so it fits his criteria.

CorvoSol

Oh that reminds me, Corvo have you had your fill of the Eureka Seven franchise?

In case you missed my earlier reply, I'm intensely curious and a little worried that if I say "no" you will have yet one more terrible E7 heart-breaker for me.
The answer is still no, since I'm playing SRWZ1 just to see Renton tag the moon as an attack.

Jarmel

Banned
In case you missed my earlier reply, I'm intensely curious and a little worried that if I say "no" you will have yet one more terrible E7 heart-breaker for me.
The answer is still no, since I'm playing SRWZ1 just to see Renton tag the moon as an attack.

lol

Sorry I did read your earlier reply. Today has been a busy day. Well fortunately for you, there is no more E7 related anime. Unfortunately for you, Kyoda is still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom