• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I have been alerted that with two successful box sets under their belt, Anime Sols has begun their next round of crowdfunded releases. First up: one of AnimeGAF's favorites from Osamu Dezaki, Oniisama e (Dear Brother). Target goal for a DVD box of episodes 1-13 is $13,000 by November 9.

So I randomly decided to watch this anime called True tears (actually tbh it was because the opening song caught my attention). Has anyone else seen it? What am I in for?

Uchouten kazoku - 06

Conflicted feelings : the anime.

But it's so good.

So I randomly decided to watch this anime called True tears (actually tbh it was because the opening song caught my attention). Has anyone else seen it? What am I in for?

An anime with various strenghts and weakness.

It's a classic school drama but you can actually choose who the main guy date ( and thsus who wins ) by stopping watching at various episodes.I find that groundbreaking.
Other than that and the fact that it's somewhat pretty this anime is nothing special , really.

Seda

School days might depress or shock him more than the Chicago Bears.

ahaha I tried not to be so negative last year on that team but I may have failed.

At least the Blackhawks won again.

I don't really know what School Days is but I think I remember hearing not-so-favorable things about it?

Just watched episode 4 of NGE. I think I liked the Misato/Shinji confrontation more in Rebuild but I don't recall the movie enough to say for sure or to really give a reason why. Also I think there's a few things here that weren't in the movie, unless my memory is simply failing me. But Shinji being Shinji and then he decides to stick around to be the Eva pilot.

Seda

I doubt you'd like it.

It that a comment on your perception of my tastes or just a general comment about the show itself and the typical breadth of the audience who enjoys it?

I do try to be a bit open minded (towards games, shows, whatever) and I tend to enjoy more things than not.

Kazzy

And why is there a penguin.

I thought that it was the adherence to the typical mascot formula, but the more I watched of the show (or allowed myself to be indoctrinated, whatever), there is a little bit of neat storytelling there.

Because the more that you glean about the state of the word itself, the more you realize how he's just a product of how bad it actually is. His habitat is ostensibly uninhabitable, with the ocean appearing like a big void of nothingness. Yes, it's information gathered piecemeal from various aspects, but I think its clearly there.

Rebuild, for as superfluous as it ultimately is, even supports this, with the artificial habitat being introduced.

Jarmel

Banned
It that a comment on your perception of my tastes or just a general comment about the show itself and the typical breadth of the audience who enjoys it?

I do try to be a bit open minded (towards games, shows, whatever) and I tend to enjoy more things than not.

Then give it a whirl. It takes a few episodes to get good but oh boy when it gets rolling!

Pooya

I think it's based on the perception that you're a normal human being and as such monstrous shows like School Days should be avoided at all costs :p

Narag

Personally I think it's funny as hell but the recommendation to watch it is typically a handful who feel its genuinely good and the rest just people fishing for reactions. It's definitely a unique experience but not something you should really worry about if you're dabbling in the medium given the amount of great alternatives out there.

Syrinx

If you're thinking about watching it, I think you should have something of an idea of what you're getting yourself into instead of being "tricked" into watching it.

I don't know how to describe it without spoiling too much, but I will say that the characters will piss you off to no end.

I suppose it's not entirely impossible that someone could have managed audio only somehow, but they were pretty thoroughly patrolling watching for people doing suspect things in the main hall, and the people I talked to in the other room said much the same was going on there, so video is pretty unlikely.

yeah, i suffered 8 hours waiting in line for her concert, missed most of otakon.

I loved her concert!

The show is infamous, but in a different way than something like SAO.

I will say this. If hypothetically the show were ever to air on Toonami, the reactions to the final episode would be EXPONENTIALLY better than the reactions to Deadman Wonderland episode 6.

Seda

By the way, just assume I don't know anything about any show because it will be close enough to the truth. I'm a real newbie here.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Don't watch it (yet), you'd just be getting punk'd into a hazing ritual that some here still insist upon.

Kazzy

By the way, just assume I don't know anything about any show because it will be close enough to the truth. I'm a real newbie here.

I was in the very same situation, it's fun. You'll speculate on a lot of stuff that is ultimately, not very important, if at all. But I'd wager that you'll enjoy the ride, or at least find it memorable!

As you'll find out later, it lends itself amazingly well to ridiculous theories/analysis.

wonzo

Banned
School Days is a must watch imo. There's really nothing else quite like it. Be sure to watch the uncensored DVD version instead of the butchered one up on Crunchyroll.

The VN also owns.

Narag

I will say this. If hypothetically the show were ever to air on Toonami, the reactions to the final episode would be EXPONENTIALLY better than the reactions to Deadman Wonderland episode 6.

I think it'd be gold reading comments from episode 5 on actually.
dat Mankoto

santeesioux

I was in the very same situation, it's fun. You'll speculate on a lot of stuff that is ultimately, not very important, if at all. But I'd wager that you'll enjoy the ride, or at least find it memorable!

I enjoyed the ride, although it's a very divisive show. More people here seem to like it than SAO, so it has that going for it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have been alerted that with two successful box sets under their belt, Anime Sols has begun their next round of crowdfunded releases. First up: one of AnimeGAF's favorites from Osamu Dezaki, Oniisama e (Dear Brother). Target goal for a DVD box of episodes 1-13 is $13,000 by November 9.
I am astounded Black Jack got funded.

The show is infamous, but in a different way than something like SAO.

Ah ah so true.... school days is one of those anime where you just can't stay calm while watching it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ahaha I tried not to be so negative last year on that team but I may have failed.

At least the Blackhawks won again.

I don't really know what School Days is but I think I remember hearing not-so-favorable things about it?

Just watched episode 4 of NGE. I think I liked the Misato/Shinji confrontation more in Rebuild but I don't recall the movie enough to say for sure or to really give a reason why. Also I think there's a few things here that weren't in the movie, unless my memory is simply failing me. But Shinji being Shinji and then he decides to stick around to be the Eva pilot.

Dude, everyone has to watch School Days and report to this thread. You can't be a fan of anime if you've never seen it.

School Days is a bad show which only gets recommended here because there's a substantial segment of this community which enjoys seeing other people post "shocked" impressions of whatever.

Narag

School Days is a bad show which only gets recommended here because there's a substantial segment of this community which enjoys seeing other people post "shocked" impressions of whatever.

I wish people would watch the old Sanrio stuff if they want something soul crushing and good at the same time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 179
6Hdif5M.jpg
Seems like Sailor Star Maker is now under the Ami curse of "all your episodes are gonna be low-budget". RIP Sailor Star Maker

It really bothers me that the continuously make allusions to Usagi being overweight yet they've only shown Sailor Moon's lumps of fat in one episode a while ago. A little chubbiness can be sexy, dammit!

Kazzy

You're not wrong, the films simply do a bad impression of what these characters exist as within the series. Misato, especially, is barely recognizable in Rebuild, where she's simply awful.

There're probably a lot of shows that are 'requisite' viewing that I haven't seen.

Well you're watching one of them. That I am ashamed to have not watched before...

But here's my top three shows that EVERY fan of anime should see.

Gurren Lagann (You will have a blast)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (If you like Evangelion, you will most likely like this.)
Code Geass (Especially R2)

Shergal

There's this thing here called "The list" which School Days belongs to, that is like a compilation of shows that are completely baffling in some way and elicit unusual reactions in the viewer, generally being extremely shocked at some plot development, laughing at how bad the show is in some aspect, or both.
I don't really know what the exact criteria is, but some shows in it are genuinely fun to watch (Code Geass), and others are just meh (School Days).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 179

Seems like Sailor Star Maker is now under the Ami curse of "all your episodes are gonna be low-budget". RIP Sailor Star Maker

Also paired him with the most neglected main character in Stars, who then has her own episode coopted by fukken Usagi. Why did you start hating Makoto, Toei?

Shergal

I think it's just a soap opera with bad production values and one oh so shocking twist at the end which doesn't retroactively make the rest of the thing be of any interest. But I guess there is more than one way of seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom