• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The Girl That God Lets Monologue To Herself 06

Moemoe Shiori episode doesn't disappoint.

Too bad we're now on the part of the Goddess Arc that looking back upon feels like it took forever to get through.

omg a Shiori episode? OMGOMGOMG

Same. It looks and sounds excellent but I'm not letting myself get Sankarea'd again.

Smile has a clunky introductory five episodes, but yeah, the upside is that you get it all over with at once.

Also, Reika is a robot.

You could always watch Angel Drops.

Rozen Maiden also has one of the most attractive cats I've seen in anime:

y9kfonN.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sankarea stopped being good after like three episodes. If Rozen Maiden was the same you would've already heard about it.

I mean in the more general sense of a precipitous drop in quality at any point in the series, but fortunately it is looking less and less likely the longer that Rozen manages to remain consistently well-directed.

Mature

I would highly recommend checking it out, with the awareness that the first episode is a summary of events and the rest of the show plays out differently. The recent show it reminds me the most of is Flowers of Evil, actually - the material is different, but it shows a similar attention to detail in visual direction and sound direction, with a dedication to deliberate pacing for the sake of realism and atmosphere. Omata isn't as good a director as Nagahama is yet, but he has the potential to reach that level with further refinement of his craft. I'll link to my episode 3 impressions, just to give you a sense of the kind of storytelling skill on display.

If nothing else, at least watch the ED.
I've explained this at length before, but I'm pretty quick to pick something up if it has promise of a great atmosphere. It's something I treasure in anime more than anything else. Especially when accompanied with stellar sound direction. That coupled with your willingness to compare it to Aku no Hana makes it an easy sell on me. I'll check out the first couple episodes tonight.

Uchouten Kazoku 4 - Battle of the Daimonji Leisure Cruisers
1MCJKkVl.jpg

It's pretty great to reflect back on this episode and realize that, save a few flashbacks, it all took place inside the Inner Parlor. The battle in the sky with fireworks was a lot of fun, and so cool to just look at. This is another one of those shows where one episode goes such a long way in developing it's characters. I already love this whole cast, haha.

OceanBlue

I haven't gotten to watching Rozen Maiden myself, but if the show randomly plummets in quality, would that really convince you guys to avoid the good episodes? From what everyone had been saying, they seem like worthwhile watches no matter how the rest of the show turns out.

I didn't watch Sankarea so I might not understand the feeling, lol.

Syrinx

Oh, and BTW, what exactly is the deal with Cure Peace and the rock-paper-scissors thing? When did she decide she gets super lucky when she wins? And who is she to decide such a thing? And probably most important of all, am I thinking about this way too much?

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 150

75% done with Sailor Moon!

To commemorate this, I contribute Two Pantyshots, one is just seriously bad art.

Anyway, we have a new cast of villains to deal with, and they were in the art thing I've been looking at, so now I understand who they are; The Amazoness Quartet. And they're like children, disobedient. They keep muddering phrases about being an adult and whatnot, and I think this is what starts to plant the seed of Chibiusa wanting to be an adult (but will Pedogasus like this?).

The New set of villains are thinking it'd be a waste to give Zirconia the unicorn, and funny enough, Zirconia is talking to the head honcho already about the possibility of turning against her in the future. Monster of the Week was much better than the usual set though.

Oh, and BTW, what exactly is the deal with Cure Peace and the rock-paper-scissors thing? When did she decide she gets super lucky when she wins? And who is she to decide such a thing? And probably most important of all, am I thinking about this way too much?

Yes

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun 19

p7B3kZhl.jpg

Hm, I like the new cat, Kaede. Pretty fun to have someone new enter and just comment on all of this.

I guess the whole collect all the orb sidequest will actually get some attention now with pretty much all the important pretty boys gathering at the capital now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I haven't gotten to watching Rozen Maiden myself, but if the show randomly plummets in quality, would that really convince you guys to avoid the good episodes? From what everyone had been saying, they seem like worthwhile watches no matter how the rest of the show turns out.

An incomplete experience is unsatisfying, and especially so if it was something that theretofore had successfully invested me in the characters and narrative. You can still enjoy good individual episodes on their technical merits, but they are no longer capable of contributing to the larger overall satisfaction that comes with consuming a good work. Seeing effort squandered is a disappointment.

Sankarea is a better show when you interpret it as a three-episode OVA about
an abused, naive girl who tragically commits suicide after becoming infatuated with a boy who romanticizes death and promises her rebirth
anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
An incomplete experience is unsatisfying. You can still enjoy good individual episodes on their technical merits, but they cease to meld into a unified "good" whole. Seeing effort squandered is a disappointment.

a girl who tragically commits suicide after becoming infatuated with a boy who romanticizes death and promises her rebirth
anyway.

But that ignores the smexy step mother!

Jex

The only problem I have with the Evangelion score is the use of synth. It makes it sound really dated.

I can't accept hating on synth. It's like pointing out that Nausicaa's score sounds dated - so be it!
Anime Sols crowdfunding for the first third of Oniisama e (Dear Brother) is already 20% of the way to its $13,000 goal after less than a day, and there's still a whole three months to go.
Looks like some people have taste.

Also, happy Birthday DTL!

Articalys

I never got around to mentioning it before, but that recent PV for Arpeggio of Blue Steel was looking neat. Also nano's bringing another superb OP song with her bilingual skills.

OceanBlue

An incomplete experience is unsatisfying, and especially so if it was something that theretofore had successfully invested me in the characters and narrative. You can still enjoy good individual episodes on their technical merits, but they cease to meld into a unified "good" whole. Seeing effort squandered is a disappointment.

an abused, naive girl who tragically commits suicide after becoming infatuated with a boy who romanticizes death and promises her rebirth
anyway.
I definitely see what you're saying. I guess, for me, it would depend on whether I enjoyed the episodes enough individually. It would also depend on the narrative and whether it was episodic out not. If I had watched Rozen Maiden, I'd probably have something more concrete to say. :<

Ah well, if it turns out badly, that would be a disappointment but that's what comes with watching something as it airs, lol. Better to have loved and lost something something.

Narag

For some reason, Watamote was playing for me on the lowest setting on the PS3. I wouldn't mention this but it made the polygonal lighting that came up in discussion really apparent. :lol

Sailor Mercury SuperSilly 151

Computers! How do they work!? Who knows, it's not a common place item yet.

What this and the last episode did made me happen, mainly in regards to not giving us a preview of the current episode. And it only took them 150 episodes to do this. Bravo. On that note, I don't know why, but it feels like there was a better budget for this episode. Maybe because of how they presented it right off the bat. I thought I did something by mistake and started watching her special, but that wasn't the case.

Anyway, this is an Ami episode, where I realize I'm not sure if its her clothing or whatever, but she definitely gives me vibes of being a woman with compassion, misguided or not, along with an expansion of her capabilities (she really has no bounds)

She was capable of writing lyrics that are apparently wonderful enough to charm the shit out of the pianist of the song she likes, but feels unworthy due to not realizing the passion that goes behind making it. However, she gets a power up (eat it Sexy/Spinning), and as a reward, we're are treated to a Naked Ami session, coming to terms of what she loves doing, on top of her fathers drawing of Alaskan Mountains. I do wish the other Senshi appeared more, but it's nice to know that SuperSilly is giving them some more respect after tossing them aside midway in S.

Hey look it's Umino and Naru, shows how much they give a fuck about em.

jman2050

Watamote 6

So much GIF material I don't know where to start. One of my favorite chapters from the manga adapted excellently as well (the fireworks one). Great ending, in a sort of weird way.

If I remember the order of events properly, I think
Kii-chan's first visit
will be either next week or the week after? I should check to make sure.

cajunator

Banned

Sankarea had three nicely animed episodes then it kinda went off the budget cliff. Wasnt horrible imo but very noticeable.

You are. Its just adorable for adorables sake.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Pacific Rim score is acceptable but comparing it to the Evangelion one is weird for numerous reasons.

Admittedly, yeah. I just couldn't resist leaping to the defense of one of my favorite anime OSTs. I suppose that, most significantly, it's a purely arbitrary comparison. I suppose that the urge to compare them partially has its origins in the idea that it's a valid comparison because it's a comparison between the (arguably) "best"/most acclaimed/culturally significant/etc. mecha works from their respective cultures, but this doesn't work because Pacific Rim, essentially being the only major Western work of its kind, earns all of these superlatives and titles by default. This isn't to say that Pacific Rim isn't good, but it's not really culturally or critically parallel to Evangelion in any significant sense.

Furthermore, it's understandably unfair to compare a two-hour film to a 26-episode television series because, in most cases, of course the much longer work is going to have more variety in its score. This isn't giving a pass to Pacific Rim because there are many films of the same length with extremely memorable scores, but scoring is also dependent upon the content and tone of the source material. Pacific Rim isn't exactly diversely emotionally evocative, nor does it meander into a wide variety of subplots. It's a laser-focused work with a simple and consistent tone, and in that sense the FUCK YEAH EPIC BLOCKBUSTER sound is functional for what it is.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Sagisu took a lot of cues from 80s mecha scores for his work in Evangelion, which I suppose was an important aspect of the genre deconstruction/subversion/whatever the hell it's considered acceptable to call Evangelion in reference to other mecha these days. It was a different time in a different culture and understandably Evangelion's score at least partially reflects what was considered a "mecha store" for an 80s/90s Japanese mecha anime. Likewise, Pacific Rim is scored in keeping with what's considered acceptable or appropriate for an 00s/10s Western blockbuster film score. Two works falling under the extremely wide umbrella of the mecha genre is not in and of itself enough to carry any sort of expectation that the works will have similarities in how they are scored.

cajunator

Banned
Admittedly, yeah. I just couldn't resist leaping to the defense of one of my favorite anime OSTs. I suppose that, most significantly, it's a purely arbitrary comparison. I suppose that the urge to compare them partially has its origins in the idea that it's a valid comparison because it's a comparison between the (arguably) "best"/most acclaimed/culturally significant/etc. mecha works from their respective cultures, but this doesn't work because Pacific Rim, essentially being the only major Western work of its kind, earns all of these superlatives and titles by default. This isn't to say that Pacific Rim isn't good, but it's not really culturally or critically parallel to Evangelion in any significant sense.

Furthermore, it's understandably unfair to compare a two-hour film to a 26-episode television series because, in most cases, of course the much longer work is going to have more variety in its score. This isn't giving a pass to Pacific Rim because there are many films of the same length with extremely memorable scores, but scoring is also dependent upon the content and tone of the source material. Pacific Rim isn't exactly diversely emotionally evocative, nor does it meander into a wide variety of subplots. It's a laser-focused work with a simple and consistent tone, and in that sense the FUCK YEAH EPIC BLOCKBUSTER sound is functional for what it is.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Sagisu took a lot of cues from 80s mecha scores for his work in Evangelion, which I suppose was an important aspect of the genre deconstruction/subversion/whatever the hell it's considered acceptable to call Evangelion in reference to other mecha these days. It was a different time in a different culture and understandably Evangelion's score at least partially reflects what was considered a "mecha store" for an 80s/90s Japanese mecha anime. Likewise, Pacific Rim is scored in keeping with what's considered acceptable or appropriate for an 00s/10s Western blockbuster film score. Two works falling under the extremely wide umbrella of the mecha genre is not in and of itself enough to carry any sort of expectation that the works will have similarities in how they are scored.

I just prefer the fuckyeah awesone score to Evas score. Its that simple.
*shrugs

Articalys

Finally started catching up on the anime I missed over the last one and a half weeks. Attack on Titan 17 was pretty good, now on to 18.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime Sols crowdfunding for the first third of Oniisama e (Dear Brother) is already 20% of the way to its $13,000 goal after less than a day, and there's still a whole three months to go.
Huh, unlike Jexhius, I just skip the 20 pages that I miss so I didn't see this.

I'd be inclined to contribute to this if there was some assurances that the next sets would come out. But you just have to trust that the fans would want the whole series and not bail after the first set.

Mature

Speaking of Eva and it's music— 3.0! I know it's Animegafs most hated rebuild movie, and speaking of it's name should only be followed by "is the worst", but I really, really loved Shiro Sagisu's score for it. It's operatic in a way that almost comes off as gaudy, but I feel sounds a bit more genuine than a lot of, let's say, video game OSTs that try a similar vocal composition**. It's the perfect anthem for a more bombastic and inflated (and yes shallow) take on Evangelion.

God's Message
The Ultimate Soldier
The Anthem

**I know nothing about music.

CorvoSol

It seems there will be a Sword Art Online stage as part of the Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival on October 6. A chance of an earlier announcement than we thought for something new, or will they just hype up the Extra Edition special?

http://moca-news.net/article/20130812/201308121200a/01/

Like an on-stage event, or like they'll have a stage and talk about it? Cuz I could do the former, if it meant seeing a chick dressed up as Waifuna.

Sailor Mars SuperSilly 152

This time is a Rei episode, but no nudity, or a beginning that feels like it has a higher budget, but rather the standard procedure. Rei is popular due to a magazine article, and we see the exaggerated side of her, on top of telling someone she doesn't need them without realizing they're even there. I actually like Ami's episode more despite the antics done in this episode, seems the animation team likes Ami more as well.

Although... it's nice to see a girl who has given up on having dreams beforehand. Also Nipple Monkey goooo

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Speaking of Eva and it's music&#8212; 3.0! I know it's Animegafs most hated rebuild movie, and speaking of it's name should only be followed by "is the worst", but I really, really loved Shiro Sagisu's score for it. It's operatic in a way that almost comes off as gaudy, but I feel sounds a bit more genuine than a lot of, let's say, video game OSTs that try a similar vocal composition**. It's the perfect anthem for a more bombastic and inflated (and yes shallow) take on Evangelion.

God's Message
The Ultimate Soldier
The Anthem

**I know nothing about music.

oh man, I forgot about The Ultimate Soldier. I suddenly felt like I was watching Bleach, hahahahah. Sagisu developed a fetish for dramatic chanting a while back.

Anyway, I'd be a liar if I claimed to have even the slightest ability to intellectually discuss music (please come back Geneijin ;___; ), and you've articulated why you like the Eva 3.33 music way better than I can explain why I like what I like, so no need to disclaimer something as simple as sharing what you enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom