• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So, I watched the first episode of Uchouten Kazoku. Not sure what to think about it. It wasn't very interesting, or entertaining, or funny, or deep. Need to watch more before deciding, it seems.

You didn't even think it was interesting? Even from the first episode I thought the presentation of three "factions" showed lots of promise for interesting developments, and that was just one element out of many of the enjoyable parts of the episode.

Jintor

I said it before when I saw the first ep, but it has that wonderful urban fantasy vibe where multiple rules are in play and the characters know what they are but the viewer does not.

Arthea

You didn't even think it was interesting? Even from the first episode I thought the presentation of three "factions" showed lots of promise for interesting developments, and that was just one element out of many of the enjoyable parts of the episode.

Nope, it didn't seem interesting to me, kinda boring even. Don't see promise either. But I won't judge just by one episode, will watch some more.

iavi

Sword art Online 8/9

ep 8 was cute. Ep 9 was cool in the end, but largely stupid. Why are they
reducing Asuna to some damsel in distress waifu? She can't quit her own guild or tell that stalker bodygaurd to fuck off herself? C'mon now

I'm also incredibly disappointed at just how badly the fight scenes have been directed.

----

That Ao no Exorcist environmental art may be the best I've ever seen in an anime, outside of maybe something Shinkai, and even then, I love the gritty aesthetic way more. Probably worth watching the film just for that.

Narag

Sword art Online 8/9

reducing Asuna to some damsel in distress waifu? She can't quit her own guild or tell that stalker bodygaurd to fuck off herself? C'mon now

Male power fantasy stuff. It's a lost opportunity for a good partner dynamic in order to keep elevating Kirito as this badass hero.

Eiken 1&2

My eye balls. My eye balls! They hurt. they hurt so so bad. Never again. Watamote please clear my eyes of this absolutely vile experience.

Male power fantasy stuff. It's a lost opportunity for a good partner dynamic in order to keep elevating Kirito as this badass hero.

Yup, and unfortunately, it only embodies that more as time goes on.

I agree about the action directing as well. I was hoping that I would at least enjoy that while everything else fell apart, but I don't remember being impressed with a single fight. Redeeming features are few and far between with SAO.

CorvoSol

Sword art Online 8/9

I'm also incredibly disappointed at just how badly the fight scenes have been directed.

These were my primary complaints for those sections of the show, too. I was pretty let down about that whole
Asuna can't leave her guild without a man's say so
deal.

Theonik

There was double penetration in that Watamote doujin. It's not pure!
It's also not yet translated. I was lied to!

Sick burn.

Mad Bull 34

I heard stuff. It can't be crazier than Gunsmith Cats. I'm jumping in now.

I TAKE IT BACK.
You mistake.

The only problem I have with the Evangelion score is the use of synth. It makes it sound really dated.
Hating on synth? Seriously? Fuck that noise.

wonzo

Banned
Jun Sadogawa(author of Muteki Kanban Musume) was passed away

RIP
http://www.asahi.com/obituaries/upda...308130275.html
Damn, I've been meaning to check out Muteki Kanban Musume for a while now too. RIP

Eiken 1&2

My eye balls. My eye balls! They hurt. they hurt so so bad. Never again. Watamote please clear my eyes of this absolutely vile experience.
"It's only two episodes," he said.

"It can't be that bad," he said.
Every single time… :(

/XX/

Happy birthday DTL!
smh people ignoring DTL's birthday
Also Happy (late in GMT land) Birthday DTL and Happy (early in GMT land) Birthday Grzi.
I think I can compensate for the lateness on congratulating DTL making it early for Grzi, right?

Happy Birthday to both Dedication Through Light & Grzi!

Hey, callback to that earlier discussion on Space Dandy regarding the roles of Natsume and Watanabe. Thomas Romain says:

https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/366840212707479553
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/366840442651811840
Nice clarification, exactly what we needed to know.

gjzm7TA.jpg
And here I thought the packed showing events in theater (precisely at Shinjuku Wald 9 as well) for animemirai, or the expectation at individual Machi☆Asobi talks (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57063518&postcount=7689) would have suffice to create a minimal or baseline 'on-site' following greater than that. Oh, well...

Trigger not being good at marketing their work seems in line with how the kickstarter was run to be honest. They know enough to have the event in the first place, like they knew enough to have a stretch goal, but their implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Live and learn.
I'm sure they'll learn on this matters from the masters of content promotion at Aniplex Inc., yeah... they've well started mentioning a premiere event through inscription more than a month away (http://www.kill-la-kill.jp/special/event.html), and touted by others means than twitter too!

/XX/

It the 13th (in Japan). I wonder when the Little Witch Academia Blu-ray preorders will start?
As you mention Japan's time... did you mean the international or the domestic pre-orders? Because those domestic ones has been up since nearly two weeks ago, just so you know:

『リトルウィッチアカデミア』ブルーレイ
http://goodsmile.ecq.sc/tribrdjp00001.html

Although, yeah... the international ones just opened, as posted here by Articalys:

The Little Witch Academia Blu-ray is now available for preorder from Trigger's online store for 6,000 yen.

http://trigger-global.ecq.sc/lwa-bluray01.html

(via @WTK)

_____

The new Rozen Maiden is a hard sell because it's tied to the franchise and went under the radar. Also the first episode was that recap. But it's actually very well done, I think it's one of the better shows this season.
One would think that after the 'Rozen Asō' incident it wouldn't be so under-the-radar! Of course the ex-Prime Minister gained 'ota' fame also nets him some... cool, presents...

Oh, and BTW, what exactly is the deal with Cure Peace and the rock-paper-scissors thing?
A ploy to beat Sazae-san on her own turf!

I wonder which ones Cédric Hérole worked on... because it seems he can't show us now after closing his personal blog and other accounts. :-(

cnet128

Banned
Sword art Online 8/9

Well, Asuna's biggest "character flaw" (if you can call it that) is her excessively strong sense of duty. She has a tendency to consider what she "should" be doing in order to not let down the people around her before even thinking about what she actually wants to do. Heck, for about a year she focused single-mindedly on working towards the completion of the game to the exclusion of all else, because that was the only thing she felt she could do that was worthwhile. Kirito snapped her out of that attitude somewhat when he convinced her to lighten up and take a break for once, at the beginning of Episode 5, but the tendency remains.

With that in mind, it's easy to see why Asuna doesn't
get rid of Kuradeel herself
or
leave the guild without Heathcliff's permission
While she personally may not appreciate Kuradeel's insistence on guarding her wherever she goes, she feels a lot of pressure as one of the KoB's leading members who all of Aincrad looks up to, and she can't argue with Kuradeel's logic that someone so important to the guild should be carefully protected.

Similarly,
when she decides to leave the guild and form a party with Kirito, she feels pretty guilty about her decision, since it means both up and abandoning the only "family" she's had in Aincrad for the past couple of years - people who she feels she owes a lot - and also abandoning her "duty" to all the SAO players in general to devote her strength to clearing the game. I'm sure she could just up and leave without Heathcliff's permission if she wanted, but she feels a strong sense of duty towards him and to the guild, and at least wants to at least leave on good terms, particularly since it's not like she's planning on leaving permanently.

And in the end, it's Heathcliff who
forces Asuna into a sort of "damsel in distress" role, by naming a battle with Kirito as his condition for her leaving. Which he does not because he doesn't think Asuna is strong enough - indeed, her strength is the main reason he doesn't want her to leave the guild in the first place - but because Kirito's dual-sword ability is the talk of Aincrad at this point; Heathcliff is intrigued by Kirito's strength and wants an opportunity to face him first-hand, and hopefully make an ally of him as well.

Theonik

Shingeki selling so well is proof of how terrible Japan's taste is.
And how anime based on already popular properties will sell regardless of the quality of the anime in question but that's a boring assertion.

fertygo

And how anime based on already popular properties will sell regardless of the quality of the anime in question but that's a boring assertion.

What you'd say after Silver Spoon's anime flopping?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I thought we already knew this based off of SAO.

I didn't write anything about the episodes of the past weekend, except Uchouten.

Gatchaman Crowds - 6
While the action seems to be postponed a bit more, there was a very interesting dialog, almost a monologue, of Rui in the roof, talking with the leader of the crowds. It was almost the core conflict of the series, his motivation and his ideals, and how it clashes with reality (even he has done some impressive strides, the galax system). In fact it's one of my favorite aspects, how it's not something fully unrealistic, you can imagine the Galax system being used for a more horizontal society, using e-democracy with a mix of meritocracy and technocracy as government.
You can notice the disagreement with his own crowds will be key later.
In a way the real main character of the series is Rui, with Hajime being more a wild card that will change the course of fate.
Well, next episode will be the first time both sides will clash.

Shingeki no Kyojin - 18
Another good episode, while it has some problems with the repetition in some scenes, overall the episode is a success, you can feel the tension and the worry of a powerful, dangerous opponent who is overpowering the humans and they can't do anything against it, recovering the feeling of hopelessness of the first episodes with only some brink of hope, maybe. The final scene was priceless, with Eren noticing that no, the veterans really don't know what to do and there is no secret plan in their sleeves, and the female Titan is closing more and more, breaking trees in her sprint, underlining the difference in power.

Hunter x Hunter - 92
I know the scene perfectly from the manga, but still, I kind of got emotional, it was a well directed, well written scene.
The moment the queen speaks before dying, and what she asks is... if his son born well and sane (nevermind he killed her doing it!). Powerful.

Servant Service 6
A few decent funny moments, but overall not a good episode. For now the series is being mixed, half good, half meh.

Silver Spoon 5
I think this is the first episode I liked it positively!

Arthea

Not sure what you mean... Terrible taste? rly?
Titans are good, may be not very good, but good. I'm still at episode 10 though.
or is it some kind of reverse sarcasm?

SAO's LN wasn't that popular? Is that what you meant to type? If so.... lol, i'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Well it was popular ( it spawned dozen of web side stories and web alternate endings from various people ) and it got lots of awards. i mean isn't the first book a sucess only by word of mouth ?

BUt i think that the sales are higher and steady since the anime aired.

I was popular before , it's even more popular now.

fertygo

SAO's LN wasn't that popular? Is that what you meant to type? If so.... lol, i'm pretty sure that's not the case.
What to "lol" about?

SAO's LN hovering around 40k per volume or so before adaptation IIRC
For comparison LN that already got anime and explode can sell around 70k-200k+

Certainly not something that mass already know before becoming hit.

Kurita

Not sure what you mean... Terrible taste? rly?
Titans are good, may be not very good, but good. I'm still at episode 10 though.
or is it some kind of reverse sarcasm?
The manga is great (the anime isn't imo but that's another issue).

Maybe the anime is popular because is good? Basically it's the same as the manga but with refined art style.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What to "lol" about?

I'm not denying that LN sales explode after the anime. However, to deny that SAO wasn't popular prior to animation is a discrediting its popularity.

Westlo

What to "lol" about?

40k mark pre anime was more like Accel World, SAO was more popular than as it is now.

Vol 9 pre anime

*1, 66,561 *66,561 Sword Art Online vol.9

Vol 10 which came out the week that ep 1 aired.

*1, 109,231 109,231 Sword Art Online Vol. 10

Unknown to big time is more DRR and Baka Test, they went from like 30k to 300k, while SAO was probably doing 100k a volume since it opened up with nearly 70k week 1. And remember there was always the web version of SAO to read as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom