• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Like an on-stage event, or like they'll have a stage and talk about it? Cuz I could do the former, if it meant seeing a chick dressed up as Waifuna.
Oh, it's the latter. Sorry for any confusion. There'll be an MC along with the seiyuu for Kirito, Asuna, Suguha, and Yui. Dunno exactly what they talk about at events like this though.

Also just finished Attack on Titan 18. Not as good as 17, but still fun.

Just wanted to say thanks to Jexhius and everyone else who recommended Uchouten Kazoku. I'm already on episode 4 and it's pretty much head and shoulders above everything else this season. The only other thing I'm really enjoying is Watamote, and it scratches a different itch. It's very consistently funny. I'd like to watch more Silver Spoon; the first episode wasn't the best first episode, but it felt like it did a good job establishing the characters and the setting. If nothing else, I enjoyed the tone, as well as the atmosphere. Feels like it could be a slice-of-life, in a matter of speaking, without carrying the baggage that normally comes with that classification.

If you approach the rest of Silver Spoon with that mindset, you'll be pleased by it as I have. With that being said, it's nowhere near the level of quality shown in Uchouten Kazoku and Rozen Maiden.

Soma

Speaking of Eva and it's music— 3.0! I know it's Animegafs most hated rebuild movie, and speaking of it's name should only be followed by "is the worst", but I really, really loved Shiro Sagisu's score for it.
Yeah the OST was really the best thing about the film.

My favorite track is definitely God's Gift

Shergal

Wolf Children has an incredibly beautiful soundtrack.

Sora Tsutsumi
Okaasan no Uta
Shonen to Yama

Three random examples, because each one is as good as the last.

I completely forgot about Wolf Children. Such an amazing soundtrack.

Hosoda is really good with music, even when not using original soundtracks he can bring out the strengths of both the music and the animation by combining them seamlessly. Actually that's probably my favourite aspect of the first Digimon movie he directed (his 2nd best thing after WC :3), which only uses Ravel's Bolero.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 153

vSs2A8A.jpg

Of course the more childish one is a devil in disguise. Villains 101

And we go to the dentist because fuck brushing our teeth. I was expecting another powerup episode with either Jupiter or Venus, but I guess that follows afterwards. I forgot what number was the "best episode of SuperS/Franchise" is, but it's somewhere from 156-158. Was hoping to make it to the episode before it to start fresh, but eh.

The Juuban Dentist needs to get revamped. STAT.

13 episodes left. Depending on how things work out, I can have this one done tomorrow.

CorvoSol

Oh, it's the latter. Sorry for any confusion. There'll be an MC along with the seiyuu for Kirito, Asuna, Suguha, and Yui. Dunno exactly what they talk about at events like this though.

Also just finished Attack on Titan 18. Not as good as 17, but still fun.

Ah, okay. Wonder if they'll talk about S2. or is this not the place to make that announcement? Or has that already been announced?

Megas XLR 208

Where to begin with what is cool in this episode? First off, Kiva in some threads other than her standard ones, which also debunks my previous wondering as to whether or not her legs from the knees down were mechanical or not. Second, Jaime impressing a girl on his own merits, rather than through subterfuge. Coop and Goat moshing. MEGAS moshing to save the world. Coop moshing while making Megas mosh. Kiva getting some time with a family member, the Glorft's hijinks, and Tiny's reaction to Jaime pointing out that if he had scored with Kiva's ancestor, they could have been related.

The weirdest part though, was Jaime's quip "THIS hot chick is Kiva's ancestor?" because Kiva's ancestor was dressed exactly the way Kiva was, and basically looked just like her. Just goes to show the boys really don't see Kiva as more than one of the guys. Well, except Goat, who most definitely does.

Best line of the episode goes to Goat, though.

Coop (upon seeing Jaime and Kiva's ancestor on-screen) "Was that Jaime?"
Goat "Nah, that guy's with a girl."

Corpse Party Tortured Souls 1

I should not have watched the PV for this. It spoils pretty much all the gore.

Since I'm a pretty big fan of the game, it's nice seeing this in animated form, and not lazily adapted like Danganronpa. In fact, this actually attempts some different ways to display how creepy things are. The screen turning at an angle is surprisingly effective when accompanied by the oppressive atmosphere.

Looking forward to episode 2.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For some reason, Watamote was playing for me on the lowest setting on the PS3. I wouldn't mention this but it made the polygonal lighting that came up in discussion really apparent. :lol

I had the same problem, so I switched to the PC. Didn't really help.

Watamote 6

The awkwardness continues. Also random Miku ED was nice.

Kazzy

My only observation about Pacific Rim is that I've literally just come out of a screening, and I'm struggling to remember the score.

Generic is not the word.

BluWacky

Megas XLR > *

Also, I'm interested now. What do you guys think are good anime film scores? Have some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIwbusbN1g (representative tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrnl7mjUz0

That Only Yesterday track is beautiful. I'm a total sucker for piano music - most recently the opening theme for Nerawareta Gakuen was a particular favourite, as was this track. It has a lovely OST all round, and the film's rendition of Debussy's Clair de Lune is a pivotal moment in the plot.

(while I'm talking about piano music, I've been packing my house up recently and rediscovered my copy of the Someday's Dreamers OST. While not a film, I'd forgotten what a great score that show had! Here, have a gratuitous link to the main theme)

I know Mature's already given Wolf Children, but any time anyone mentions the music from that film I have to the music that made me cry with joy in the cinema.

It's probably cheating to list this, but the movie specific music for Escaflowne is gorgeous. Particular favourites are First Vision and Into GAEA (I had no idea that the "Sora" melody from this is actually from a piece of music Kanno composed many years prior for an art exhibition!).

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 17

I feel like this show is finally hitting its stride. We had some good fights going on between Loran and a Zaku, and Loran and Bruno and Jacop. Meanwhile, Diana and Kihel are placed agonizingly close, but unable to switch due to Teteth's hijinks. What she's plotting at, I don't know, other than that she tried to kill Diana the moment she saw her. At first I thought it was because of her feelings for Will, but it is obviously something else. Anyway, Guin continues to claw his way back up the ladder of power, and Harry is still trying to convince me that insect eyes and a bowl cut are cool.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
so i just watched episode 5 of servant x service, and omg this show, im actually even more invested into it than i thought i would be, these semitwists are playing with my heart lol
this is ok to talk about right? >.<

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 9

Boy howdy, so much for Super Robots being able to run around in the mountains! What else did EVA mislead me on? Next I'll learn penguins don't like hot springs and that japanese chicks won't let me feel them up for the sake of learning about thermal expansion! Gee osh.

Anyway, the episode is spent taking apart and reassembling the Dai-Guard, and it is about as boring as you might remember Sayla and Amuro practicing docking the Gundam was, but that's kind of the point. The Heterodyne this episode is lighter than air and harder to catch. Meanwhile, in the background, goofy Dr. Rika has developed a new anti-Heterodyne weapon which she has conveniently failed to patent, obtain legal possession of, and in fact pay for. Meaning Shirota has taken it for the Army, and thus caused a new rift between himself and Akagi.

Shirota refers to their company's processes as being "too Japanese." Which is a bit odd, considering that the name Shirota has lead me to believe that the man was, well, Japanese. Although I would not be surprised to learn this is not the case.

cajunator

Banned
Silly, Cajun, you're not even making sense! Though I must say, I'm pretty disappointed with it overall. They focused on the wrong things, and that actress is simply terrible

I went into it expecting giant robots fighting giant monsters and it delivered lol. I havent had that much fun watching a movie in years.

Blusby

Everything feels so dry now outside of my weekly viewings of Free! All these shows lack passion, someone please set the date to whenever Kill la Kill airs in Oct and saves this stagnant industry. Other than that I suppose I have Space Dandy, The new FSN anime, new Muv-Luv anime, and the Grisaia adaption to look forward to (whenever we get an airdate for those last three that is).
Anyways, Free! is good and the best of the season, I'd also like Crowds more if there was more screentime being giving to Joe and Saya instead of Hajibeast and the Gaijin Samurai.

Articalys

Rough sales numbers are in for last week's sales, still waiting for the exact list. But for now:

Hataraku Maou-sama! vol.2 -- approx. 8600 BD, 1400 DVD (compare to 9720/2119 v1w1)
Aiura -- approx. 1800 BD

iavi

Sword art Online 5/6/7

Kirito being such a boss has become almost comical now. He knows everything. Is prepared for everything. Has everything. And gets all the girls.

This shit is killing me. It's also entertaining as hell.

I can see where they're going with his character, though; he's not at all phased at the fact that the game became life or death. Seems like it only excited him.

CorvoSol

Glass Fleet 11

So this episode was--and I can't believe I am saying this about Glass Fleet--pretty good. I mean, when you cut out the parts where Cleo behaved like a colossal bitch (which is always), this was a good amount of character development for the increasingly sympathetic Emperor Betty. I mean, even as Betty told us
about his abuse at his father's hands, er, feet, and the even more fucked up double murder of his adoptive parents after his adoptive father raped him repeatedly, he still remained more sympathetic than Cleo, who basically bitches around until Michel grants him all power over everything. At which point I sort of have to call into question Michelle's dedication to freeing the People from Nobility. She's allied with a Duchess, and has proclaimed a Prince the savior of the people. Doesn't really sound like she cares about defeating the Nobility that much to me. For crying out loud, in the last two episodes she has assented to grant the Duchess full control of all Trade Zones and given command of all military operations to a guy who says he wants to take over the world. The hell is she even thinking at this point? Everything she does betrays her stated motive, whereas Betty's goal is clear and his efforts to reach it are as logical as anything is apt to get in this show.

Also is it just me or is the Pope's daughter's dress sort of suggestive when viewed from above?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rough sales numbers are in for last week's sales, still waiting for the exact list. But for now:

Hataraku Maou-sama! vol.2 -- approx. 8600 BD, 1400 DVD (compare to 9720/2119 v1w1)
Aiura -- approx. 1800 BD

is that good? please tell me thats good, idk how maou-sama's sells were from the anime, it basically sets itself up for a 2nd season and is my anime of the year

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 6

Right, so the most pressing question out of this episode is do they really sell Diet Coke in black cans over in Japan or are they passing off the horrible swill known as Coke Zero as Diet Coke over there? Otherwise this show continues is slow, agonizing and dull slide into one note repetition and tedium, so much so that I nearly fell asleep several times while attempting to watch it. Tokomo just doesn't show any growth or change as a person, and that is just fucking uninteresting. Honestly, one of the biggest shockers here is the fact that Tokomo has not yet received one swirly yet and that is a shame.

Articalys

Okay, something's got the list.
Code:
2013 08/05~08/11 Anime BD List
*1 (***)	---	8,680	**8,680	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
*3 (***)	---	3,060	**3,060	**1	Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z v3
*4 (***)	---	1,827	**1,827	**1	Aiura
*5 (***)	**6	1,291	*86,345	**3	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
*6 (***)	*27	1,214	*42,979	**4	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
*7 (***)	---	*,967	***,967	**1	Kotoura-san v5
*8 (***)	*16	*,933	*24,886	**3	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v6
*9 (***)	*20	*,899	*14,731	**3	Koukaku Kidoutai ARISE v1
10 (***)	---	*,862	***,862	**1	Waga Seishun no Arcadia
Code:
2013 08/05~08/11 Anime DVD List
*4 (***)	---	1,805	*,**1,805	**1	ONE PIECE 15th Season Gyojintou-hen v9
*5 (***)	*30	1,789	1,202,379	607	Tonari no Totoro
*6 (***)	---	1,444	*,**1,444	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
*8 (***)	*31	1,373	*,*53,302	**7	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
11 (***)	*51	1,021	*,*23,985	**4	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
12 (***)	*53	1,006	*,770,318	542	Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
13 (***)	*10	1,003	*,*21,118	**3	ONE PIECE Log Collection "Sabaody"
14 (***)	---	*,942	*,***,942	**1	Naruto Shippuuden Special Chikara
15 (***)	*56	*,939	*,511,321	553	Majo no Takkyuubin
17 (***)	---	*,881	*,***,881	**1	Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z v3
18 (***)	*38	*,821	*,**7,560	**3	Precure All Stars New Stage 2 Kokoro no Tomodachi
21 (***)	*32	*,749	*,*11,487	**3	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v6
22 (***)	*72	*,727	*,356,508	356	Mononoke-hime
23 (***)	*48	*,712	*,**6,728	**3	Hunter x Hunter Phantom Rouge
25 (***)	*80	*,665	*,*58,832	**7	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
27 (***)	*90	*,584	*,173,029	*16	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33) 
28 (***)	*94	*,550	2,384,566	418	Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi

Westlo

Pretty good drop considering IIRC the first volume had some shorty story or some BS added to it. Taking that out and adding normal vol 2 decay to figures, it held well.

is that good? please tell me thats good, idk how maou-sama's sells were from the anime, it basically sets itself up for a 2nd season and is my anime of the year

It "should" get a second season with those sales, easy. Light Novel sales also went up quite a bit. For stuff I want to see more of I'm pretty happy if it can sell at least 7k to increase prospects of future anime. Of course sometimes good sales don't end up in sequels for some reason, see Durarara.

Okay, something's got the list.
Code:
2013 08/05~08/11 Anime BD List
*1 (***)	---	8,680	**8,680	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
*3 (***)	---	3,060	**3,060	**1	Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z v3
*4 (***)	---	1,827	**1,827	**1	Aiura
*5 (***)	**6	1,291	*86,345	**3	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
*6 (***)	*27	1,214	*42,979	**4	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
*7 (***)	---	*,967	***,967	**1	Kotoura-san v5
*8 (***)	*16	*,933	*24,886	**3	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v6
*9 (***)	*20	*,899	*14,731	**3	Koukaku Kidoutai ARISE v1
10 (***)	---	*,862	***,862	**1	Waga Seishun no Arcadia
Code:
2013 08/05~08/11 Anime DVD List
*4 (***)	---	1,805	*,**1,805	**1	ONE PIECE 15th Season Gyojintou-hen v9
*5 (***)	*30	1,789	1,202,379	607	Tonari no Totoro
*6 (***)	---	1,444	*,**1,444	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
*8 (***)	*31	1,373	*,*53,302	**7	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
11 (***)	*51	1,021	*,*23,985	**4	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
12 (***)	*53	1,006	*,770,318	542	Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
13 (***)	*10	1,003	*,*21,118	**3	ONE PIECE Log Collection "Sabaody"
14 (***)	---	*,942	*,***,942	**1	Naruto Shippuuden Special Chikara
15 (***)	*56	*,939	*,511,321	553	Majo no Takkyuubin
17 (***)	---	*,881	*,***,881	**1	Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z v3
18 (***)	*38	*,821	*,**7,560	**3	Precure All Stars New Stage 2 Kokoro no Tomodachi
21 (***)	*32	*,749	*,*11,487	**3	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v6
22 (***)	*72	*,727	*,356,508	356	Mononoke-hime
23 (***)	*48	*,712	*,**6,728	**3	Hunter x Hunter Phantom Rouge
25 (***)	*80	*,665	*,*58,832	**7	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
27 (***)	*90	*,584	*,173,029	*16	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33) 
28 (***)	*94	*,550	2,384,566	418	Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi

Wish Aiura would sell a little better, would love to see a S2.

duckroll

Blue Exorcist: The Movie

Text review

I really, really enjoyed this way more than I expected. I haven't seen the TV series, and I don't read the manga, so I mostly had no idea who the characters were going in. The movie doesn't really spend much time introducing the characters, but it is written and directed in a way where you have a good sense of what roles they play in the world and aside from that you don't need to know much more to enjoy the story in the movie. I found the film exciting, somewhat touching, and mostly a visual feast. The art direction is truly stunning, and the direction and script were really tight too. The movie clocks at about 90 minutes, and it doesn't feel like it's too short or too long. There's always something interesting going on, and it feels like a pretty complete experience.

What surprised me the most about the movie was how much more of a character drama it was rather than an action movie. There are action setpieces at the start and the end of the film, but the majority of the story is centered around developing a relationship which is key to the theme of the film. Reiko Yoshida did a really good job here, like she usually does when given the creative freedom to tell the sort of stories she's good at. The director's roots in Ghibli are really obvious in the visuals as well, especially in terms of how the monsters look and how they animate. Great stuff.

The best thing I can probably say about the soundtrack is that I didn't want to kill myself listening to the music. But Sawano still sucks and he can blow me. Lolz. A-1 Pictures should really do more movies instead of cheap TV series. They seem to do a pretty good job of delivering pure spectacle to their anime films.

Image review

Great layouts:

Amazing backgrounds and art direction:

Awesome monster designs:

Moe character moments:

Arthea

So, I watched the first episode of Uchouten Kazoku. Not sure what to think about it. It wasn't very interesting, or entertaining, or funny, or deep. Need to watch more before deciding, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom