• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I'm not denying that LN sales explode after the anime. However, to deny that SAO wasn't popular prior to animation is a discrediting its popularity.
I'm not sure what you arguing here, Light Novel is pretty niche media even among otaku.. many of them not gonna interested before it got anime. So implying SAO's LN as massive brand before the anime just incorrect. You confusing its popularity in japan (before anime) to the hype its get in LN's translation scene among foreign fans.

EDIT : thanks to westlo for correcting the sales number.

The Free Character songs 3 4 5 all have great arts, Nagisa and Rins the best. (Rei's)
tumblr_mrgqezDvQL1rjzbfeo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mrgqezDvQL1rjzbfeo2_500.jpg

DiGiKerot

Now imagine me having to fight through that horde on Friday at the Watanabe signing with that big cardboard thing in order to be one of the first 40 people.

Oh, I skipped the Watanabe signings since I got one when he was in London back in May, but whilst I never got the particulars out of them, a couple of my friends were pretty annoyed with how the Friday session went (they did get their signatures at the second signing though, so all's OK).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not sure what you arguing here, Light Novel is pretty niche media even among otaku.. many of them not gonna interested before it got anime. So implying SAO's LN as massive brand before the anime just incorrect. You confusing its popularity in japan (before anime) to the hype its get in LN's translation scene among foreign fans.

EDIT : thanks to westlo for correcting the sales number.

I'm not saying that SAO is a MASSIVE brand nor am I saying it's as popular as AoT pre or post anime launch. I'm saying that SAO was quite popular prior to the anime, the sales did really well among its peers, and after the anime it took off even more. If you can't see what I'm trying to say, then you're ignoring my points or you just don't want to discuss this properly. As an added bonus, the foreign translation started before the anime announcement and was popular even prior.

Arthea

The manga is great (the anime isn't imo but that's another issue).

I don't really care about any manga at all, so I wouldn't now, but I can't agree that anime is no good. Unless there are several anime that is really good and somebody is hiding it from us. In comparison, it's good, and even for hyperbole's sake I can't see it as horrible.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 16

Aaaaaand it's a focus episode for the last character who hasn't had one since the introductions yet - Komachi! She shows the group a pirate adventure story she's been writing, and everyone is super positive about it...except Nuts, who tells her that objectively speaking, he doesn't think it's up to scratch. This gets Komachi all depressed and she considers giving up her dream of becoming an author. Meanwhile the rest of the girls get mad at Nuts.

Nuts feels pretty guilty too, but he can't take back what he said because that would be dishonest. So he goes to see Komachi and give her some more constructive criticism and encourage her not to give up on her DREEEEEEAM. Good call, Nuts, even if encouragement isn't your strong suit. It's the thought that counts.

And then Arachnea shows up to crash the party, dragging everyone inside Komachi's story to attack them with a giant pirate ship Kowaina. Because hey, why not? If she was hoping to cause the Cures to despair, though, she had another thing coming, because the Power of Friendship and Hope and Dreams always wins out in the face of adversity. Doubly so when you're basing your method of attack on a story whose defining feature is a main character who never gives up. Didn't really think that one through, did you, spider-woman?

Oh, and apparently Komachi has a Cool Big Sister who looks almost completely identical to her. So that was a thing.

Yes! Precure 5 - 16

Aaaaaand it's a focus episode for the last character who hasn't had one since the introductions yet - Komachi! She shows the group a pirate adventure story she's been writing, and everyone is super positive about it...except Nuts, who tells her that objectively speaking, he doesn't think it's up to scratch. This gets Komachi all depressed and she considers giving up her dream of becoming an author. Meanwhile the rest of the girls get mad at Nuts.

Nuts feels pretty guilty too, but he can't take back what he said because that would be dishonest. So he goes to see Komachi and give her some more constructive criticism and encourage her not to give up on her DREEEEEEAM. Good call, Nuts, even if encouragement isn't your strong suit. It's the thought that counts.

And then Arachnea shows up to crash the party, dragging everyone inside Komachi's story to attack them with a giant pirate ship Kowaina. Because hey, why not? If she was hoping to cause the Cures to despair, though, she had another thing coming, because the Power of Friendship and Hope and Dreams always wins out in the face of adversity. Doubly so when you're basing your method of attack on a story whose defining feature is a main character who never gives up. Didn't really think that one through, did you, spider-woman?

Oh, and apparently Komachi has a Cool Big Sister who looks almost completely identical to her. So that was a thing.

And thus marked the start of Nuts x komachi shipping that lasted 2 years.....

Can you remind me the name of komachi sister ? it's been a while

Branduil

Shingeki selling so well is proof of how terrible Japan's taste is.
And how anime based on already popular properties will sell regardless of the quality of the anime in question but that's a boring assertion.

I dunno, look at what happened to Magi's sales.

Silver Spoon 4

Man Silver Spoon is such a great show, watching Hachiken figure out all the ways the school could help him make pizza was super satisfying, show also makes me really freaking hungry lol.

KLonso

Sword art Online 8/9

ep 8 was cute. Ep 9 was cool in the end, but largely stupid. Why are they
reducing Asuna to some damsel in distress waifu? She can't quit her own guild or tell that stalker bodygaurd to fuck off herself? C'mon now

This is a bit of a spoiler for the next arc but
if you don't like Asuna being reduced to a damsel in distress, you're not going to like the next arc very much

cnet128

Banned
It started since like episode 1

But Nuts didn't even appear until Episode 7! OP/ED and eyecatches notwithstanding.

I guess shipping of him with Komachi was fairly inevitable though, considering his Designated Favourite Food is the daifuku that she brings. Quickest way to a squirrel's heart is through his stomach.

But Nuts didn't even appear until Episode 7! OP/ED and eyecatches notwithstanding.

I guess shipping of him with Komachi was fairly inevitable though, considering his Designated Favourite Food is the daifuku that she brings. Quickest way to a squirrel's heart is through his stomach.

Yep it was the eyecatches. Although.... their designated foods are like... the only thing they practically eat.

Theonik

I dunno, look at what happened to Magi's sales.
First volume sold pretty well iirc.

The issue isn't as much synth as it is using synth to simulate real instruments. Using synth for its own inherent qualities is completely different.
While I agree that synth is best when used for synth's sake, even when emulating instruments it all comes down to execution. And given how many shows still use synth for that I wouldn't say it necessarily sounds dated either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
^Thanks for that(!)

EDIT: Quoted the whole OP to post that it is all moe and thus disgusting and then claims it is the wrong thread A HA HA HA! Yeah right.

duckroll

What? Magi was like 9th best selling manga 2012 and most likely still in the top 5 this year.

There's always a boost when a shounen manga gets a big anime push, the majority of those sales are from new fans catching up on the dozen or so back volumes, so it's inflated. In terms of per volume sales, it's nowhere near the the top10. I don't even think it sells as much as Blue Exorcist.

Check the 2012 list ranking stuff by individual volume sales: http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2012/bookrank1203/index05.html

Magi isn't even in the Top50, which cuts off at 521k.

It's way more over-dramatic and cheesy than the manga.

I will say the manga is already a bit dramatic in a slightly cheesy way, for starters.

But it's true the anime intensifies the over-dramaticness, in part it's because when we see the same stuff happening "live" (with animation, voice overs of actors shouting, etc), it happens to be more exaggerated, even if it's all the same than the manga.
...and another part is pure direction from the director, who chose to over dramtize it. And that part I will agree it's a slight flaw of the anime.

Branduil

The Magi manga is not particularly popular.

There was a brief period when it looked like the anime was boosting the manga to new heights, though. It seems a bit silly to say an anime will sell regardless of quality when it's obviously possible to botch an adaptation so badly that its sales dwindle.

Devils and Realist 4

Finally meet the last main demon character who seems interesting enough. Need to see how he interacts with the main cast or if he continues to be a loner.

duckroll

There was a brief period when it looked like the anime was boosting the manga to new heights, though. It seems a bit silly to say an anime will sell regardless of quality when it's obviously possible to botch an adaptation so badly that its sales dwindle.

I don't think the quality really matters much for the sales. The majority of the extra sales push for these adaptations seem to come from new fans who get very interested in the material and decide to buy the anime and the manga initially. The trend -seems- to indicate that a lot of these fans are also female "fujoshi" fans, who tend to not really like getting ripped off so to speak. So the anime being overpriced and more expensive to collect will collapse as the volumes go by, while they stick to buying the manga and other merchandise instead.

The same thing happened with Blue Exorcist, where the first volume sold really well, and then the sales just collapsed after that. Meanwhile the manga is now selling over 800k per volume.

Well, it's crazy to think it's possible to predict such top hits like SnK. No one predicted that Madoka, Bakemonogatari or K-On would be such hits, there is no pattern.

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 6

Right, so the most pressing question out of this episode is do they really sell Diet Coke in black cans over in Japan or are they passing off the horrible swill known as Coke Zero as Diet Coke over there? Otherwise this show continues is slow, agonizing and dull slide into one note repetition and tedium, so much so that I nearly fell asleep several times while attempting to watch it. Tokomo just doesn't show any growth or change as a person, and that is just fucking uninteresting. Honestly, one of the biggest shockers here is the fact that Tokomo has not yet received one swirly yet and that is a shame.

Do swirlys exist in Japan?

I imagine she'd welcome bullying more than being flat out ignored. At least then she could say her life isn't completely insignificant to people outside her family.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't ever see Space Brothers high in the sales charts, and that's pretty goddamn popular.
It's a non-nerd show though. That and the box sets are for super nerds who want the soundtracks. lol

I do wonder if shows like that and Sazae-san even bother trying to do disc releases beyond the perfunctory attempt to sell to the super nerd collectors.

---

Also, for anyone who followed AnimeSols, does anyone remember what they were asking for the Creamy Mami set?

The Oniisama e... set is only $13,000, yet I seem to remember the other sets needing around 20k?

They also seem to have shut down every other funding effort and have focused on getting just one series done... which probably means they'll cycle between the shows that have gotten funded at this point... which then probably means that the second box set of Oniisama e..., if it ever happens, would be mid-late 2014. Yikes!

It started since like episode 1
what ?
thought so.

at least nuts x komachi works much much better than coco x nozomi

Branduil

I don't think the quality really matters much for the sales. The majority of the extra sales push for these adaptations seem to come from new fans who get very interested in the material and decide to buy the anime and the manga initially. The trend -seems- to indicate that a lot of these fans are also female "fujoshi" fans, who tend to not really like getting ripped off so to speak. So the anime being overpriced and more expensive to collect will collapse as the volumes go by, while they stick to buying the manga and other merchandise instead.

The same thing happened with Blue Exorcist, where the first volume sold really well, and then the sales just collapsed after that. Meanwhile the manga is now selling over 800k per volume.

I don't think things like mordance.gif did anything to keep the sales from plummeting as far as they did, though.

Well, it's crazy to think it's possible to predict such top hits like SnK. No one predicted that Madoka, Bakemonogatari or K-On would be such hits, there is no pattern.

While it's not really possible to make a guaranteed hit, somebody at Aniplex must be doing something right if they're responsible for producing a large majority of high-selling anime as of recent.

Branduil

I think a lot of people were expecting Attack on Titan to be a hit considering how well the manga was selling without an anime to advertise it.

sonicmj1

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 6

Right, so the most pressing question out of this episode is do they really sell Diet Coke in black cans over in Japan or are they passing off the horrible swill known as Coke Zero as Diet Coke over there?

The latter.

fertygo

While it's not really possible to make a guaranteed hit, somebody at Aniplex must be doing something right if they're responsible for producing a large majority of high-selling anime as of recent.

If your strategy are spamming project that with potential sure you can get few hit, also you gonna land some bomb.

duckroll

I don't think things like mordance.gif did anything to keep the sales from plummeting as far as they did, though.

Stuff like that has pretty much zero impact on sales. Do you seriously think anyone who pays 80 bucks for 3 episodes of anime on blu-ray really gives a shit about stuff like animation or writing? No, they're just people who want to spend money on stuff they're obsessed with. People who judge stuff sensibly generally don't buy anime from Japan much.

Attack on Titan has 2-3 minute recaps before the OP starts, tons of stills, and unfinished animation in some episodes. Doesn't stop it from getting huge sales. :p

Well, look at Vividred. It was pushed for like one year and it got the full Aniplex advertisement package and the average sales are like 5k.

I think it would be crazy if a production committee would calculate with more than 30k for the high profile titles.

cajunator

Banned
Rough sales numbers are in for last week's sales, still waiting for the exact list. But for now:

Hataraku Maou-sama! vol.2 -- approx. 8600 BD, 1400 DVD (compare to 9720/2119 v1w1)
Aiura -- approx. 1800 BD

People actually bought Aiura? Its like 2 mins long each episode. Granted it is really adorable so...

I have some compassion. I could have easily posted that image inline but I thought I'd protect the childhoods of those who are young enough to have Cars as part of their childhood.

I'm a fan of Cars and I still weep for a childhood like that.

Eiken 1&2

My eye balls. My eye balls! They hurt. they hurt so so bad. Never again. Watamote please clear my eyes of this absolutely vile experience.

You were warned. No compassion for the foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom