• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much do they charge for anime at cons, full price?

It's usually more than what you can get it for online, though there are some exceptions. Aniplex in particular was priced about the same which is why I decided to buy at the con. Most of the time for DVD/BD I just use the Amazon iOS price check app to see what the difference is and then either order online or put it on my Amazon wish list.

Theonik

Nichijou 08
i0lPfp7tHyA17.png

Explosive Tsundere is pretty awesome.
Nano wanting cavities was also adorable as were Hakase's lies. Also man that elevator scene. Also that accapela ED. So goood

IT HAS BEEN DONE.
Good man.

Can I do it for Pirotess instead? Mmm, Pirotess.
Sure

I don't remember now, but episode 9 is just the beginning of the Trost arc, isn't it? Things dip for the next 3 episodes before they begin to try and pick up again. Really, if that latter part of Trost had never happened, I think I wouldn't notice any of the problems the show still has.

I'm presuming where I'm at is middle-to-end, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jex

I don't remember now, but episode 9 is just the beginning of the Trost arc, isn't it? Things dip for the next 3 episodes before they begin to try and pick up again. Really, if that latter part of Trost had never happened, I think I wouldn't notice any of the problems the show still has.

I kind of feel bad for beating up on the Trost-arc because it's almost like pointing out that they sky is blue and that grass is green - it feels rather redundant.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 160

Enemy and Allies, working together, because Minako was cock chasing boys who stop existing afterwards. The enemy dreams of never growing up, and mocks others for having adult dreams. And they still don't recognize each other. Disguises, how do they work!?

6 episodes remain.

Mushibugyo - 19

Mushibugyo%20-%2019_01.jpg

Hi my name is sanada yukimura , my hobby is to act as a commander, building scientific things and therorise the populace , but sometimes , i also love to change the scenary.

Anyway , this episode was actually pretty cool. i'm concerned abot jinbei , anyway , since as of now he managed to master 4 attacks but still as 42 left to master ... that leave a hell of a progression margin for a character , especially one such as jinbei.

So this episode had decent action , cool premise and it look like next episode gonna be ninja focused... can't wait.

lhySrXW.jpg

Yandere Imouto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog & Scissors 4

I absolutely love how this show has basically assembled my personal trinity of best anime girls.

Yandere, Sadist, and a Masochist.

It's like a love letter to everyone who loves watching anime girls with a few screws loose.

cajunator

Banned
Do it for Deedlit!

This is the best reason.

IT HAS BEEN DONE.

Good man! But can you actually understand that stuff?
I dont understand how yall do it.

Cross-posting my Otakon pickups from K-ON GAF just for the heck of it:

The Aniplex booth ended up getting most of my money because I'm weak and stuff. All of the Madoka was a semi-impulse buy; I was intending to get it at some point but it wasn't necessarily on my dealer's room agenda.

I'm looking forward to all of the watching/reading, though right now I'm getting caught up on Attack on Titan after seeing the first two episodes at Otakon. Up through episode 9 so far. I'm pretty much hooked even with some inconsistent pacing.

Nice pick ups. Aniplex stuff is even more expensive at dealers booths!

How much do they charge for anime at cons, full price?

They charge full price and sometimes higher.

cajunator

Banned
Dog & Scissors 4

I absolutely love how this show has basically assembled my personal trinity of best anime girls.

Yandere, Sadist, and a Masochist.

It's like a love letter to everyone who loves watching anime girls with a few screws loose.

I do indeed like anime girls with screws loose :D

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 161

I feel like I saw this somewhere before.

Shit's starting to get real, our big bad is using the power of a hoarder to blacken the sky with spider webs, and for some reason, it effects Mamoru really badly.

The opposing forces learn of each others identities, but they are still unaware of where Pegasus is hiding. The big show is about to begin, and Pegasus tells them not to go to Dead Moon just yet. But why not?

(Break time, time to clean).

Cons always have great deals on anime in my experience. You just have to search around for them some. But you can find a lot of stuff for really cheap there.

Really? I often have (small) discounts when I buy stuff at cons.

It's really case by case in my experience. For DVD/BD/Manga, newer releases are almost always near MSRP. It is possible to find deals on older stuff, but that can take some digging, especially in a dealer's room the size of the one at Otakon or Anime Boston.

I can tell you that buying import/used video games at cons is a mixed proposition. Video Games New York (which always has an Otakon booth) especially has rather inflated prices on almost everything.

Theonik

Nichijou 09
The first half of this episode was probably the most relatable section of an anime I've seen in recent memory. I was just sitting there nodding.
Good episode.

Jex

[Doremi Sharp] - 11 (I'm still watching this from time to time)

doremisharp111c0u2c.jpg

In which Doremi and her co-conspirators seek to ruin some poor women's day just because their friend Hazuki is such a massive doormat that she can't say no to a single request from her mother. These girls are truly evil witches.

doremisharp1124aui6.jpg

Of course, literally everyone learns the error of their ways by the end of the episode and many tearful emotional moments are shared by all. I could complain that this is terribly cliche but it's worth remembering that a) this is a show for kids and b) they manage to pull it off in an effortlessly charming manner, as always.

This episode certainly wasn't the best looking of the series and there were plenty of weak layouts and moments of lazy animation but the show manages to rise above these problems on the sheer strength and charm of the writing. That's what differentiates this series from a number of other magical girl titles. The fact that these girls are witches doesn't really matter most of the time because the focus of the show is on the characters, their struggles and their developments. Magical is generally the means to an end rather than the end itself.

cajunator

Banned
It's really case by case in my experience. For DVD/BD/Manga, newer releases are almost always near MSRP. It is possible to find deals on older stuff, but that can take some digging, especially in a dealer's room the size of the one at Otakon or Anime Boston.

I can tell you that buying import/used video games at cons is a mixed proposition. Video Games New York (which always has an Otakon booth) especially has rather inflated prices on almost everything.

I havent had the ability to attend a large anime con. Only local ones in Louisiana. Mechacon is the biggest and has expanded since I last went about 3 years ago. Here the dvd/bluray selection is usually confined to just one or two booths and they are overpriced.

Good man! But can you actually understand that stuff?
yep , no problem here.
I dont understand how yall do it.

well.... i hate spanish language , and despite my school teacher telling me to study german i wasn't thrilled ....
so ..
i made my choice.
My desire to play rpg made me stay on course while i was memorising all this stuff.

The end result ....

Jex

I don't like parts of Nausicaa's score, either. This is also why the redone score for the American version of Laputa is superior.

Branduil Branduil Branduil. Where's Genijin when you need him? I mean, other than in Headphone GAF dispensing wisdom.

cajunator

Banned
yep , no problem here.

well.... i hate spanish language , and despite my school teacher telling me to study german i wasn't thrilled ....
so ..
i made my choice.
My desire to play rpg made stay on course while i was memorising all this stuff.

The end result ....

Well thats cool. wish I had the ability to do that. I cant focus well enough on anything to learn another language like that :(

Jex

Admittedly, yeah. I just couldn't resist leaping to the defense of one of my favorite anime OSTs. I suppose that, most significantly, it's a purely arbitrary comparison. I suppose that the urge to compare them partially has its origins in the idea that it's a valid comparison because it's a comparison between the (arguably) "best"/most acclaimed/culturally significant/etc. mecha works from their respective cultures, but this doesn't work because Pacific Rim, essentially being the only major Western work of its kind, earns all of these superlatives and titles by default. This isn't to say that Pacific Rim isn't good, but it's not really culturally or critically parallel to Evangelion in any significant sense.

Furthermore, it's understandably unfair to compare a two-hour film to a 26-episode television series because, in most cases, of course the much longer work is going to have more variety in its score. This isn't giving a pass to Pacific Rim because there are many films of the same length with extremely memorable scores, but scoring is also dependent upon the content and tone of the source material. Pacific Rim isn't exactly diversely emotionally evocative, nor does it meander into a wide variety of subplots. It's a laser-focused work with a simple and consistent tone, and in that sense the FUCK YEAH EPIC BLOCKBUSTER sound is functional for what it is.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Sagisu took a lot of cues from 80s mecha scores for his work in Evangelion, which I suppose was an important aspect of the genre deconstruction/subversion/whatever the hell it's considered acceptable to call Evangelion in reference to other mecha these days. It was a different time in a different culture and understandably Evangelion's score at least partially reflects what was considered a "mecha store" for an 80s/90s Japanese mecha anime. Likewise, Pacific Rim is scored in keeping with what's considered acceptable or appropriate for an 00s/10s Western blockbuster film score. Two works falling under the extremely wide umbrella of the mecha genre is not in and of itself enough to carry any sort of expectation that the works will have similarities in how they are scored.

I broadly agree with your points although, of course, one can still simply prefer one score to the other because taste isn't a particularity rational element of the human psyche. I know that you weren't suggesting that they were incomparable.

Kurita

Depends what you mean by teach. I forgot everything I knew about Spanish the day the class ended.

Don't worry I was the same since I don't like Spanish that much. Still managed to get a 14/20 at my final oral exam (baccalauréat), I don't know how...
I understand everything Regulus tweets though!

Depends on where you go to school but most schools offer at least Spanish and French. The middle school I went to offered Spanish, German, French, Japanese, Chinese, and Latin.

Oh wow, I only had the choice between German, Spanish and Latin (well, and English of course).

Choosing between Spanish and German at school was hard.
I just went with the lesser of two evils, Spanish.

i spend 2 years learning spanish and then i just went full scientist route (computer stuff basicly ) and then i only needed to learn english ( that i already knew ) other languages being bonus points i managed to finish my school life without trouble.
All the japanese i did was on my free time... ( and during that 6 months of my life when i was part of a fansubbing group. )

I took five years of French between middle/high school, but I forgot all of that pretty much instantly. I've hung on to my Japanese from college better, although I'm pretty rusty there.

Don't worry I was the same since I don't like Spanish that much. Still managed to get a 14/20 at my final oral exam (baccalauréat), I don't know how...

Well I got an A in the class and as said, don't remember a thing. It was mostly a fill-in the blank worksheet and goof-off class since the teacher was hilarious.

The worst part is that my parents are both fluent but they never taught me.

Kurita , you're french ? i never knew .
BY the time i had to do my "baccalauréat" i was already on a path where i didn't need to study spanish.
Oh wow, I only had the choice between German, Spanish and Latin (well, and English of course).

Latin ... oh the bad memories ..i avoided that one too by choosing "reinforced english"

I'm good i avoiding languages i don't like.

I didn't even have an option for a language in middle school.

In high school, I took Cantonese (so easy).

In college, I took Japanese so I know all my hiragana and katakana and pretty much nothing else.

Theonik

Choosing between Spanish and German at school was hard.
I just went with the lesser of two evils, Spanish.
I had a choice of French or German at school. Went with French as I knew French since elementary school.
Still regret this decision.

Down here, only French. Which...actually could come in handy if I imported all that French licensed anime....

Don't ... import french stuff . most of the publishers are lazy , and you'll have trouble finding stuff in high quality besides the obvious big animes out there .
There is a great selection of titles but that's it.

i don't import for no reason.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I went to super poverty rural public school and they only taught Spanish there. Most people don't realize just how good their high schools actually are.

Jex

Also, I'm interested now. What do you guys think are good anime film scores? Have some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIwbusbN1g (representative tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrnl7mjUz0
Hmm, thinking of movies with good overall scores is trickier than I imagines as a number of movies I like have great individual tracks but the score as a whole isn't that great, for example Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh. My list would go as follows:

- Pretty much everything scored by Joe Hisashi
- Akira
- Sword of the Stranger
- Patlabor 1 & 2
- Millennium Actress
- Paprika
- LOGH My Conquest is a Sea of Stars (This is basically cheating but I don't care)
- Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 (Even if it's mainly just TV tracks)
- Utena: The Movie
- Escaflowne: The Movie

Kurita

I learned Japanese for a bit back when I was 10.
Then I stopped for a long time, started learning it again, from September 2012 to May 2013, one class every week.
And as I said in this thread a while ago, I managed to get into the college I was aiming for, which only teaches Oriental, African... languages (INALCO ), so I'll be able to properly learn Japanese!

Kurita , you're french ? i never knew .

I am French yup. I thought it was pretty obvious :lol

Theonik

Hmm, thinking of movies with good overall scores is trickier than I imagines as a number of movies I like have great individual tracks but the score as a whole isn't that great, for example Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh. My list would go as follows:

- Pretty much everything scored by Joe Hisashi
- Akira
- Sword of the Stranger
- Patlabor 1 & 2
- Millennium Actress
- Paprika
- LOGH My Conquest is a Sea of Stars (This is basically cheating but I don't care)
- Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 (Even if it's mainly just TV tracks)
- Utena: The Movie
- Escaflowne: The Movie
I really like parts of REDLINE's score tbh.

Jexhius is white? The meme lied to me??
His avatars don't lie!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Doremi Sharp] - 11 (I'm still watching this from time to time)

doremisharp111c0u2c.jpg

In which Doremi and her co-conspirators seek to ruin some poor women's day just because their friend Hazuki is such a massive doormat that she can't say no to a single request from her mother. These girls are truly evil witches.

doremisharp1124aui6.jpg

Of course, literally everyone learns the error of their ways by the end of the episode and many tearful emotional moments are shared by all. I could complain that this is terribly cliche but it's worth remembering that a) this is a show for kids and b) they manage to pull it off in an effortlessly charming manner, as always.

This episode certainly wasn't the best looking of the series and there were plenty of weak layouts and moments of lazy animation but the show manages to rise above these problems on the sheer strength and charm of the writing. That's what differentiates this series from a number of other magical girl titles. The fact that these girls are witches doesn't really matter most of the time because the focus of the show is on the characters, their struggles and their developments. Magical is generally the means to an end rather than the end itself.
Was it that episode or another when they basically imply that Hazuki is simply doomed to become her mother whether she likes it or not? Of all possible resolutions, that's really the most realistic one.

Jex

Was it that episode or another when they basically imply that Hazuki is simply doomed to become her mother whether she likes it or not? Of all possible resolutions, that's really the most realistic one.

Another one, I believe, but it's kind of an implicit undercurrent to many of her stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom