• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've never done more than like 20 episodes of something in a single day, but I think I managed ~400 episodes of One Piece at 15 episodes per day a few years ago, so at one time I at least had impressive marathon stamina.

I think that the last anime that I ever marathoned in any capacity was Max Heart, just to get the shit over with ._.

wonzo

Banned
The most I marathoned was the entire later half of TTGL in a single afternoon.

Haven't watched Kiki yet, but that post makes it sound like Ponyo all over again.
The lowest lows of Kiki's Delivery Service are still leaps and bounds better than the highest highs of Ponyo.

cnet128

Banned
She's the psycho lesbian of the show. Like I said, this show is made for SDBurton. lol

This post does not include the word "masochist" anywhere, and thus seems woefully insufficient as a description of Suzuna.

I mean, true story: when I couldn't remember the character's name to use in this post, I just searched the relevant Japanese Wikipedia page for "ドM".

7Th

It is a vice when it's not interesting. Your mileage may vary though. I love tons of kid films but a number of Ghibli films aren't working for me. Ghibli films are probably just not my thing.

The two films they're releasing this year are definitely not for kids.

CorvoSol

The longest anime marathon I've done in my life was probably watching the first twenty episodes of Digimon Adventure back in like 2000 when Fox Kids had them going back to back for New Year's or something.

I need to rewatch that show.

Okay, from what I heard here, this is one of the all time greats of anime so I hope I won't be disappointed here.

Eureka 7 - 1

OP sounds really nice. That's to be expected though, as it's the same guys who did the Code Geass opening.

I don't know why, but something tells me life sucks in that city for this kid.

Hmmm, has no dreams, was told to believe in himself, I give this main character until the end of the series before he busts through the heavens with his compact drive or something.

So the mechs in this show can surf in the air and can transform into F-1 race cars. Neat. But I have to say those are some pretty awesome designs for them. They remind me of Chamber from Gargantia for some reason.

You're in for a great show. EDIT: [spoilers]Before Drilling through the Heavens, there was carving your name into the moon.[/spoiler]

MikeMyers

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 183

Robocop allusions last episode, and now Friday 13th. I wonder what else is left in the gamut of eighties/nineties movies that SM will pay homage to.

Also, I miss nineties' fashion.

It took me a while to figure it out, but those costumes are basically Hurricane Polymar in various colours, minus the horns.

Oh yeah I forgot to celebrate DTL yesterday. Happy belated birthday DTL!

I think its more TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE than FRIDAY THE 13TH.

Venus is the hottest. Jupiter is the waifuest. Mars is the sexiest.

Yup.

I watched all of Detective Conan and Doraemon in a single day beat thaaaaaaaat

Nice.

You can't have a beautifully animated angered luffy punch everytime.
Hard to beat that time when he punch that noble.

I'll let slide the mediocre punch only because that happened literally in the last few seconds.

But the fact that they ruined this scene

img000015.png

Is just souring my mood right now.

Joe Molotov

I've pulled off some 30 episode marathons. Though I'm pretty sure those all involved heavy drinking.

A friend challenged me to watch the entire Darker than Black series (S1+2+OVAs) in one day with the offer to buy me a Mio Akiyama figure if I did it.

You're damn right I did it.

cajunator

Banned
Kiki's Delivery Service-

The cat is the best thing about this. I really enjoyed Jiji's animation and the flying animation in general. They put a lot of effort into portraying a sense of speed. I wasn't particularly wow'd by the art direction but it was fine I guess. Soundtrack was serviceable but that's it.

That said...

That ending is contrived as fuck. I very much enjoyed the movie until Kiki's powers fail. Of course she regains them just in time to save her friend. I started to groan at how predictable all of it was.

Its not a prize winning film or anything but its a really adorable movie for kids. You cant really hold it to that high of a standard as a result. Its still better than many kids movies anyway.

iavi

Male power fantasy stuff. It's a lost opportunity for a good partner dynamic in order to keep elevating Kirito as this badass hero.

These were my primary complaints for those sections of the show, too. I was pretty let down about that whole
Asuna can't leave her guild without a man's say so
deal.

The relationship started off kinda alright too. Now...

Well, Asuna's biggest "character flaw" (if you can call it that) is her excessively strong sense of duty. She has a tendency to consider what she "should" be doing in order to not let down the people around her before even thinking about what she actually wants to do. Heck, for about a year she focused single-mindedly on working towards the completion of the game to the exclusion of all else, because that was the only thing she felt she could do that was worthwhile. Kirito snapped her out of that attitude somewhat when he convinced her to lighten up and take a break for once, at the beginning of Episode 5, but the tendency remains.

With that in mind, it's easy to see why Asuna doesn't
get rid of Kuradeel herself
or
leave the guild without Heathcliff's permission
While she personally may not appreciate Kuradeel's insistence on guarding her wherever she goes, she feels a lot of pressure as one of the KoB's leading members who all of Aincrad looks up to, and she can't argue with Kuradeel's logic that someone so important to the guild should be carefully protected.

Similarly,
when she decides to leave the guild and form a party with Kirito, she feels pretty guilty about her decision, since it means both up and abandoning the only "family" she's had in Aincrad for the past couple of years - people who she feels she owes a lot - and also abandoning her "duty" to all the SAO players in general to devote her strength to clearing the game. I'm sure she could just up and leave without Heathcliff's permission if she wanted, but she feels a strong sense of duty towards him and to the guild, and at least wants to at least leave on good terms, particularly since it's not like she's planning on leaving permanently.

And in the end, it's Heathcliff who
forces Asuna into a sort of "damsel in distress" role, by naming a battle with Kirito as his condition for her leaving. Which he does not because he doesn't think Asuna is strong enough - indeed, her strength is the main reason he doesn't want her to leave the guild in the first place - but because Kirito's dual-sword ability is the talk of Aincrad at this point; Heathcliff is intrigued by Kirito's strength and wants an opportunity to face him first-hand, and hopefully make an ally of him as well.

Honestly, no. This girl has straight changed characters in the span of an episode. She
was never particularly witty, none of these characters are, but she was fiery still, and seemed like she had a solid backbone, with the potential for some good exposition. 11 eps in and she's not much more than Kirito's anti-air assist call-in that makes him breakfast in the morning.
I keep feeling like there's going to be something deeper to all of this, relating back to the psyche of the actual character behind the character, so to speak, though I'm beginning to think that I may have given this too much of a benefit of the doubt when I began.

It's all still entertaining, though. and I'm hopeful.

---

SOA 10

lol

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou - 05
i really wasn't expecting something serious but lol if they didn't treat this arc like they should have.

it was like they said " no we weren't serious, lol"

kojima was right , everything can bloom on the battlefield.

No doubt about it , she is the best girl.

I've been debating which direction to go when I reach it.

Eh, I'll probably stick with subbed.

Might as well if you're actually planning to watch Max Heart. Otherwise it.... I don't know if it matters... I mean the worst that it does is change names for all the not bad guys.

cajunator

Banned
I was explaining how I did it

To be fair in my case, despite popping in here every now and again before fully posting in the new animegaf thread that started a day after I turned 22, I never got a full explaination on why Max Heart was awful. All I knew was, only watch if you liked the first season, but that's about it. Nothing explained to me why Max Heart was just so bad, so there was very little to stop me.

In my case, Max Heart is just really really boring. Ill watch bad art, poor animation, and dumb stories if its entertaining. Hikari just took everything fun out of the first series and left it feeling flat and lifeless.

Sword Art Online 1-7 (bd engdub rewatch)

Well it seems a bit different after reading v1 and v2 of the ln rather recently, litrally yesterday and earlier today. Could have thought Silica got a few hits in
after pina death
for example. Otherwise Sachi's guild best guild such good voices and bonding. Lizbeth episode (7) was the best, Kirito says Lizzzzzbeth in such a good way in one minor scene, though one of her lines was weird: "the gnarliest magic sword a person can get" why say such a word in 2025 or something.

Im just glad to finally see it in non mobile phone cr app resolution, definitely worth the 89.99,

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This post does not include the word "masochist" anywhere, and thus seems woefully insufficient as a description of Suzuna.

I mean, true story: when I couldn't remember the character's name to use in this post, I just searched the relevant Japanese Wikipedia page for "ドM".
Ah yes, I forgot about that aspect of her personality. lol

In my case, Max Heart is just really really boring. Ill watch bad art, poor animation, and dumb stories if its entertaining. Hikari just took everything fun out of the first series and left it feeling flat and lifeless.

Considering what she basically is, it's not surprising Hikari did what she did.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 11

Nao is deathly afraid of bugs? Respect -1. It'd be one thing if they were cockroaches or beetles, but ladyugs? Pillbugs? Grasshoppers? Come on girl, that ain't shit.

I think I would have preferred a "Candy turns huge" story, which is what I thought this was at first, to a "Precure turns small" story. Still, the fight scene was pretty funny with Majorina and Candy cheering on their respective allies on the ground. And then when she realized she could just squash them.

I think this show has my favorite Precure transformation scenes. Especially Sunny and March.

cajunator

Banned
It is a vice when it's not interesting. Your mileage may vary though. I love tons of kid films but a number of Ghibli films aren't working for me. Ghibli films are probably just not my thing.

Yeah thats probably the case then. Not everyone has to like something just because its widely regarded as good.

CorvoSol

They really annoy the shit out of me. Im not a fan of Renton to begin with. Maybe the show just isnt for me.

I actually liked Renton most when the show began. Being kind of a loser and a geek, I saw a common ground there and latched onto him. Eureka herself took awhile for me to warm up to until she 1)became amazing and 2)I realized she was the anime equivalent of Terra Branford of FFVI. Eureka's kids are a constant pain the whole show, though. The show is, as people pointed out to me, a slow burn. I mean some people it probably isn't for, and Shard'll tell ya anything wrong with it that my love of it blinds me to, but I felt that once it hit a certain point, it was really awesome.

So wait, does this mean you've seen all of AO but not all of E7?

The relationship started off kinda alright too. Now...

Honestly, no. This girl has straight changed characters in the span of an episode. She
was never particularly witty, none of these characters are, but she was fiery still, and seemed like she had a solid backbone, with the potential for some good exposition. 11 eps in and she's not much more than Kirito's anti-air assist call-in that makes him breakfast in the morning.
I keep feeling like there's going to be something deeper to all of this, relating back to the psyche of the actual character behind the character, so to speak, though I'm beginning to think that I may have given this too much of a benefit of the doubt when I began.

It's all still entertaining, though. and I'm hopeful.

---

SOA 10

lol

My problem with the relationship between Kirito and Asuna is that it felt like Asuna contributed everything to it. This extends in large part to my problem with Kirito: that he didn't really have much in the way of a personality, and instead felt like a male equivalent of Bella Swan, or rather, that I was supposed to lay myself over top of his character sheet and go from there. Returning to the relationship, though, I just felt that Asuna made for a great Waifu, and that she obviously loved him and was willing to put a lot into that relationship and her wants for it.
At one point she cries and tells him she wants their relationship and family to be real, and not exist solely in this place, and I felt that was probably the endearing scene of the show
, but so often Kirito just says nothing and does nothing in these scenes, and it left me liking him less and less.

Really, while I liked to dump hate and scorn on a character who shows up in the second half of the series, I think Kirito is the biggest disappointment for me. His fight scenes become less and less as the show progresses, he contributes precious little to the romance, and toward the show's conclusion he does some things with which I did not agree at all.

I did find the characters of Asuna, Klein, and Egil to be good, and I kind of thought that
Sugou
was a good villain in the sense that he was enjoyably over the top. Really though, I think that for all my complaints with the first half, the show's second half not going the direction I had hoped and the hijinks that ensued are what really got my beef about it.

*reads TVTropes for a bit*

"Invisible to Normals: Nobody notices that Usagi looks exactly like Sailor Moon. Subverted in the manga, where (gasp) Usagi realizes that Haruka Tenoh and Sailor Uranus look exactly alike, and calls Haruka out on it. Of course, this was mainly because Haruka kissed her in both identities and Usagi realized they had the same kiss - and realized that Haruka wasn't a man---"

:O

Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1

So this is basically one really long episode of the TV series with a (obviously) higher budget. Decent enough, though I wish the villain wasn't kind of lame and that most of the movie actually felt like a movie instead of a well animated TV episode, but at least the soundtrack was baller as fuck.

I'm going to finally complete this series tomorrow with the second movie. I don't want it to end UEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1

So this is basically one really long episode of the TV series with a (obviously) higher budget. Decent enough, though I wish the villain wasn't kind of lame and that most of the movie actually felt like a movie instead of a well animated TV episode, but at least the soundtrack was baller as fuck.

I'm going to finally complete this series tomorrow with the second movie. I don't want it to end UEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

2nd movie is much better and an actual movie.
1st movie always gave me a "that's it ?" impression.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 14

Their magic works in mysterious ways. They're gonna screw something up really bad someday with their magic. Hell, they just unleashed a bunch of frogs into the school. Who the hell knows what their magic is gonna do next?

Show doesn't feature Pop or the fairies enough. And I still don't like Hadzuki's spell-casting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi 14

Their magic works in mysterious ways. They're gonna screw something up really bad someday with their magic. Hell, they just unleashed a bunch of frogs into the school. Who the hell knows what their magic is gonna do next?

Show doesn't feature Pop or the fairies enough.
This will get better before too long, then a bit worse down the line.

And I still don't like Hadzuki's spell-casting.
PAIPAI PONPOI PUUUUWAAPUWA PUUUUUUU

Sailor Moon SuperS+ Ami's First Love High Budget release

Ami, Toei's favorite girl, gets a special that has great quality packed into a 15 minute video dealing with a dude name Mercurius being her rival, and we see Ami's studious behavior taken to the absolute max, driving her into sleep depraved insanity to the point of just randomly fucking killing something by associating it with Mercurius.... with a high budget and equations! (warning, this is what smarts does)

I think this is the most insane I've ever seen her go. Might start Stars in a bit.

HEY IT'S THOSE PEOPLE AGAIN! SEE YOU AGAIN NEVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom