• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

My problem with the relationship between Kirito and Asuna is that it felt like Asuna contributed everything to it. This extends in large part to my problem with Kirito: that he didn't really have much in the way of a personality, and instead felt like a male equivalent of Bella Swan, or rather, that I was supposed to lay myself over top of his character sheet and go from there. Returning to the relationship, though, I just felt that Asuna made for a great Waifu, and that she obviously loved him and was willing to put a lot into that relationship and her wants for it.
At one point she cries and tells him she wants their relationship and family to be real, and not exist solely in this place, and I felt that was probably the endearing scene of the show
, but so often Kirito just says nothing and does nothing in these scenes, and it left me liking him less and less.

Really, while I liked to dump hate and scorn on a character who shows up in the second half of the series, I think Kirito is the biggest disappointment for me. His fight scenes become less and less as the show progresses, he contributes precious little to the romance, and toward the show's conclusion he does some things with which I did not agree at all.

I did find the characters of Asuna, Klein, and Egil to be good, and I kind of thought that
Sugou
was a good villain in the sense that he was enjoyably over the top. Really though, I think that for all my complaints with the first half, the show's second half not going the direction I had hoped and the hijinks that ensued are what really got my beef about it.

I'm only on ep 11, and quickly losing steam, but, you're right in that Kirito adds nothing to their relationship once
they get married.[ he basically morphs into your typical harem horrible lead,
not to say he really had much more going in the first place, but he was entertaining. And separately they still are alright, but together that dynamic is just blah. blah, blah, blah. I love romance bits in anime, but this is making my stomach turn.

Maybe that's intentional. I don't know. That'd be kinda cool. Show how idealized those mmo marriages are supposed to be, but again I feel like I'm giving to much credit, and even if I am, this is just boring.

I might skip to the end.

Branduil

Attack on Titan has 2-3 minute recaps before the OP starts, tons of stills, and unfinished animation in some episodes. Doesn't stop it from getting huge sales. :p

That's all true, but it also has well-directed action(when it's animated), competent voice acting and character designs, some nice-looking art direction, etc. I don't think it would sell as well if it was made by, say, DEEN, and directed by some D-list director with crummy action scenes.

Shergal

Blue Exorcist movie
Yeah it was pretty good. Tight script and direction, animation was passable although a lot of the times the drawings were sort of bland. Not much of a problem, and some parts were rather nice. The scene in the kitchen had very lively character animation, and the battle against that red demon was dynamic and delivered some oomph.

But boy, those backgrounds. Sasuga Shinji Kimura, it was amazing and carried the whole film. The editing complemented the art direction well enough because it was full of wide, spacious shots and glorious pans.

Besides that, I guess it's worth noting that there is no need AT ALL to know anything about the franchise to enjoy and understand the film unless you like getting caught up in all the little superfluous setting/plot details.

I hope this doesn't mean my name will suddenly be associated with scatological humour.

Totally not my intention. Just wanted to confirm that Umakoshi is a hack.

This will get better before too long, then a bit worse down the line.

PAIPAI PONPOI PUUUUWAAPUWA PUUUUUUU

But I like it...the first time she says it back to Majo Rika, "Paipai ponpoi puwapuwa puu?" =(

You brought it on yourself.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gifuu Doudou! 7:

Oda Nobunaga's ghost coming back from the afterlife just to be a party to a conversation between Kanetsugu and Keiji that involved him was badass beyond words. In all honestly, I look forward to my weekly dose of RIGHTEOUSNESS more than almost anything else airing this season. More people need to be watching this.

Articalys

A nice Amazon Japan exclusive steelbook cover for the Girls und Panzer event BD fandisc:
81IOXvrppIL._AA_.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I actually liked Renton most when the show began. Being kind of a loser and a geek, I saw a common ground there and latched onto him. Eureka herself took awhile for me to warm up to until she 1)became amazing and 2)I realized she was the anime equivalent of Terra Branford of FFVI. Eureka's kids are a constant pain the whole show, though. The show is, as people pointed out to me, a slow burn. I mean some people it probably isn't for, and Shard'll tell ya anything wrong with it that my love of it blinds me to, but I felt that once it hit a certain point, it was really awesome.

So wait, does this mean you've seen all of AO but not all of E7?

Yeah I watched E7AO cause it was shorter.
I guess its good because the show can only get better this way.

Ponyo was fun, screw the haters. Also Ponyo riding the waves was some of the best animation in any Ghibli film ever.

Agreed. Looooove that movie. Its silly especially towards the end but it gives such a whimsical feeling. Its magic.

Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1

So this is basically one really long episode of the TV series with a (obviously) higher budget. Decent enough, though I wish the villain wasn't kind of lame and that most of the movie actually felt like a movie instead of a well animated TV episode, but at least the soundtrack was baller as fuck.

I'm going to finally complete this series tomorrow with the second movie. I don't want it to end UEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I could listen to Sakura hanyan~ and Uweeeeeh until my heart explodes.

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 167

I should really keep calling this SuperSilly since that's what this 6 episode filler arc is, but it doesn't look SuperSilly enough to do it.

Due to popular demand, our primary antagonist for SuperSilly is coming back with a vengence, but so is all of our Senshis! Inner and Outer (and even babies) because shit's getting real! In the meantime, I'm sort of amazed at the fact that it took them two whole seasons just to get done with high school entrance exams, and finally be in highschool, but hey, can't appeal with high school magical girls. That's why we didn't keep Nagisa and Honoka for future Precure series after Max Heart (thank god).

The mirror of Nephilephalis (not her real name) broke and created many nude mirror clones of her basically, and nearly took out our Outers, but Saturn gave them a power up to be Super, and a time skip on one person happened. Shits getting real again (and this is the source of loli Saturn.)

HEY we can't have a 167 impression without this gem though.

Lewd Stars~

yami4ct

Utena: 25-31

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. This show is messing with my head. It keeps going in directions I don't expect, and frankly am quite nervous about how dark things will get. I don't have much to say about the first few episodes. The
Akio x Utena
stuff is creepy as all hell, but feels like a really interesting direction to develop the characters. The little Jury two-parter was fantastic with a really great, unexpected ending. The cars are an amazing addition to the dueling arena and the cars=sex metaphor plays itself out in oftentimes hilarious ways. I find all the eye-candy they've added for female viewers to be hilarious as well. That shirt open flip move Akio does is pretty damn funny.

Mostly, I want to talk about how freaking disturbing episode 31 was. Holy crap. Some major stuff hinted at is brought into the light and I now rather I had never seen it.
This episode is taking the whole brother/sister complex to a whole new level. Why does everyone have a damn brother complex on this show? It's too damn freaky every time it comes up. Now we pretty much confirm Anthy and Akio are sleeping together. What?!?! Taking it to a whole new level, and I thought Nanami's infatuation was creepy.
As disturbed as I am by what's happened, it's certainly interesting to watch. I cannot wait to see how this all plays out in the end.

One last thing, It was pretty great that now that Nanami has found out
Touga isn't her real brother, she's upset not glad. You'd think she'd be happy as it sort of makes her creepy infatuation a bit less creepy.

Jex

Let's be real. Both shows undercut the hard work theme despite it being pivotal for both.

I dunno about that. In Gunbuster Coachie can see Noriko's latent abilities because he's Coachie and that's his magic power (also because it's an Aim for the Ace parody). Then she gets where she needs to go as a hero through GUTS and TRAINING.

Jex

Haven't watched Kiki yet, but that post makes it sound like Ponyo all over again.

Lies. Kiki's Delivery Service is one of Miyazaki's better films and unlike Ponyo it actually has a plot and pacing and characters and stuff. It's not literally for babies, although it is for kids but that shouldn't bother you.

yami4ct

Lies. Kiki's Delivery Service is one of Miyazaki's better films and unlike Ponyo it actually has a plot and pacing and characters and stuff. It's not literally for babies. It's for kids.

I'll back this up completely. Kiki even beats out Totaro for me as my favorite light-hearted Miyazaki film. It's just so lovingly produced. Great look, great music, lovable characters and just a really sweet plot overall. One of my favorite films.

Shergal

I'll back this up completely. Kiki even beats out Totaro for me as my favorite light-hearted Miyazaki film. It's just so lovingly produced. Great look, great music, lovable characters and just a really sweet plot overall. One of my favorite films.

Totoro is my favourite from Miyazaki, it's just so well-shot and earnest. Also it's not light-hearted, we all know
Totoro is actually the God of Death! or something, dunno how that one goes

yami4ct

Forgot to post this in my Utena review. I'm kind of really angry that Truth got replaced as the ending theme. It was so fantastic. The new one is really boring and kind of unpleasant sounding. I've gone from sitting through the end credits every time to skipping them. Oh well, at least it still has the great OP.

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 168

Douchebag Mamoru might be coming back with a Revengeance, but hey, so did the rest of the folks.

We were given a history lesson from Hotaru ontop of more timeskipping for her. Boy is Tomoe going to be surprised.

Nice to see Sailor Moon in her final form, which also tires her out like Super Mode pre Pedogasus. Things are keeping up just fine, doesn't feel like a drag for a filler arc either. Better than Rough's at least.

CorvoSol

I'm only on ep 11, and quickly losing steam, but, you're right in that Kirito adds nothing to their relationship once
they get married.[ he basically morphs into your typical harem horrible lead,
not to say he really had much more going in the first place, but he was entertaining. And separately they still are alright, but together that dynamic is just blah. blah, blah, blah. I love romance bits in anime, but this is making my stomach turn.

Maybe that's intentional. I don't know. That'd be kinda cool. Show how idealized those mmo marriages are supposed to be, but again I feel like I'm giving to much credit, and even if I am, this is just boring.

I might skip to the end.

Yeah, I dunno. I thought that Asuna was a great side to the relationship, but on the other hand, I think she herself plays into the wish fulfillment aspect of the show, too. She's a fiery red-head who is spirited, but also completely devoted to her boy. She's an excellent cook, can "keep pace" with Kirito, attractive, intelligent, and so on and so on. Really, I don't recall Asuna having any flaws at all. And I mean, there's a time and a place for a character to be too cool for flaws, I suppose, but I dunno, I would've appreciated Asuna being more than the ideal and perfect girlfriend, too. Hell, I don't think she and Kirito ever even fought in the show.

Part of the problem I had with the show, that I noticed from talking about it with cnet, is that in the books things are apparently explained in better detail, where the show just kind of abandons any need to explain a lot of stuff, and that left me annoyed.

Yeah I watched E7AO cause it was shorter.
I guess its good because the show can only get better this way.

As in you're gonna rewatch it? Cuz you could do it, and you could push through Eureka's awful hellspawn!

Utena: 25-31

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. This show is messing with my head. It keeps going in directions I don't expect, and frankly am quite nervous about how dark things will get. I don't have much to say about the first few episodes. The
Akio x Utena
stuff is creepy as all hell, but feels like a really interesting direction to develop the characters. The little Jury two-parter was fantastic with a really great, unexpected ending. The cars are an amazing addition to the dueling arena and the cars=sex metaphor plays itself out in oftentimes hilarious ways. I find all the eye-candy they've added for female viewers to be hilarious as well. That shirt open flip move Akio does is pretty damn funny.

Mostly, I want to talk about how freaking disturbing episode 31 was. Holy crap. Some major stuff hinted at is brought into the light and I now rather I had never seen it.
This episode is taking the whole brother/sister complex to a whole new level. Why does everyone have a damn brother complex on this show? It's too damn freaky every time it comes up. Now we pretty much confirm Anthy and Akio are sleeping together. What?!?! Taking it to a whole new level, and I thought Nanami's infatuation was creepy.
As disturbed as I am by what's happened, it's certainly interesting to watch. I cannot wait to see how this all plays out in the end.

One last thing, It was pretty great that now that Nanami has found out
Touga isn't her real brother, she's upset not glad. You'd think she'd be happy as it sort of makes her creepy infatuation a bit less creepy.

I think one of the best things about Utena was the way it took the character of Nanami, introduced her as a hateful, spoiled, rich bitch, maintained that aspect of her character, and still managed to make her a sympathetic member of the cast before it was done. Nanami was definitely one of my favorite characters in the show.

PLUS, I loved hearing her go "TSU-WA-BU-KI!" *SNAP*.

yami4ct

Totoro is my favourite from Miyazaki, it's just so well-shot and earnest. Also it's not light-hearted, we all know
Totoro is actually the God of Death! or something, dunno how that one goes

Totoro really rides the line between light and dark, much more than most of Miyazaki's stuff. I still think tonally it's closer to something like Kiki than Mononoke or Naussicaa. You could make an argument for either side, but I personally consider it on the lighter more kid-friendly side of his works.

yami4ct

I think one of the best things about Utena was the way it took the character of Nanami, introduced her as a hateful, spoiled, rich bitch, maintained that aspect of her character, and still managed to make her a sympathetic member of the cast before it was done. Nanami was definitely one of my favorite characters in the show.

PLUS, I loved hearing her go "TSU-WA-BU-KI!" *SNAP*.

I really still don't like Nanami. I still can't forgive her for all the awful shit she's done. There's 2-3 episodes of the show that just focus on her trying to absolutely destroy other people's lives for nothing but selfish reasons. After the Black Rose saga episode where she treats
one of her friends like human garbage
, I just cannot find it in myself to forgiver her. At times, I do feel bad for her. Then, I remember how much shit she's done and immediately start hating her again. I mean,
the cat
. Come on, how could you forgive someone like that? 31 is as close to feeling bad for her for a whole episode as I've gotten.

CorvoSol

Yes... things.

Well I don't remember off the top of my head because I've blocked some stuff out, but it was a general problem I recall having, that there were elements of the show that are just sort of shoved aside. Like who is paying for keeping all these people alive, for instance.

I really still don't like Nanami. I still can't forgive her for all the awful shit she's done. There's 2-3 episodes of the show that just focus on her trying to absolutely destroy other people's lives for nothing but selfish reasons. After the Black Rose saga episode where she treats
one of her friends like human garbage
, I just cannot find it in myself to forgiver her. At times, I do feel bad for her. Then, I remember how much shit she's done and immediately start hating her again. I mean,
the cat
. Come on, how could you forgive someone like that? 31 is as close to feeling bad for her for a whole episode as I've gotten.

Oh, yes, definitely. She's done some definitely messed up stuff,
literally killing a kitten being the biggest of them all
, but on the other hand, some of the shit that
Anthy puts her through, most particularly that Egg thing
is just really rough. She can be horrible and meanspirited and vicious, but I appreciated her for that. Kinda like how Lelouch Britannia came off as a total piece of shit scumbag in Geass to me, but I still liked his character.

I dunno. I mean yeah, Nanami was a horrible person, but I still felt for her during that whole
egg
thing.

yami4ct

Oh, yes, definitely. She's done some definitely messed up stuff,
literally killing a kitten being the biggest of them all
, but on the other hand, some of the shit that
Anthy puts her through, most particularly that Egg thing
is just really rough. She can be horrible and meanspirited and vicious, but I appreciated her for that. Kinda like how Lelouch Britannia came off as a total piece of shit scumbag in Geass to me, but I still liked his character.

I dunno. I mean yeah, Nanami was a horrible person, but I still felt for her during that whole
egg
thing.

I have to admit, I was so preoccupied with trying to figure out what was going on during the
egg
episode that I couldn't even begin to process feeling for any characters involved. What a weird episode.

iavi

Yeah, I dunno. I thought that Asuna was a great side to the relationship, but on the other hand, I think she herself plays into the wish fulfillment aspect of the show, too. She's a fiery red-head who is spirited, but also completely devoted to her boy. She's an excellent cook, can "keep pace" with Kirito, attractive, intelligent, and so on and so on. Really, I don't recall Asuna having any flaws at all. And I mean, there's a time and a place for a character to be too cool for flaws, I suppose, but I dunno, I would've appreciated Asuna being more than the ideal and perfect girlfriend, too. Hell, I don't think she and Kirito ever even fought in the show.

Part of the problem I had with the show, that I noticed from talking about it with cnet, is that in the books things are apparently explained in better detail, where the show just kind of abandons any need to explain a lot of stuff, and that left me annoyed.

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with the character traits that you mentioned down to the devotion, but the turn around needs to be logical; the framework needs to be in place. When someone's that devoted, hard expectations usually comes along with, the anger when they're not met, etc, and Kirito just getting this free pass to be a blah harem lead from a rabid fan is something I find so shite. And disappointing. I'm not surprised to see they never even argue, given the way things look from where I am.

It's funny that you mention the books, since I actually went and read a translated bit a little while ago to see if things are explained better, since the anime moves at this ridiculously fast pace, and they do. The translation, or writing's funky, but the scenes are given their proper enough pacing it seems. To say the least, lol.

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 169

Also returning from SuperS! NTR!

They realize whose really behind all of this mirror nonsense, or at least, Sailor Moon is the first to realize. But before that...

HowxC5M.jpg

Look at all this effort! "Modern Day Unknown Disease" Look at all this trying! EFFORT!

I think it's making a statement when it's mostly affecting females.

Narag

Part of the problem I had with the show, that I noticed from talking about it with cnet, is that in the books things are apparently explained in better detail, where the show just kind of abandons any need to explain a lot of stuff, and that left me annoyed..

It mostly abandoned his inner monologue and learning about the world via his POV.

faridmon

Just noticed in the OP that Shin Oonuma (the Baka no Test dude) directed two shows this season. Hos is that possible?

Incidently, I am watching the second season of Bako on Test. Love it!

CorvoSol

I have to admit, I was so preoccupied with trying to figure out what was going on during the
egg
episode that I couldn't even begin to process feeling for any characters involved. What a weird episode.

It was a weird episode, but by that point in the show I already knew to just go "LOL, Nanami episode." and move on. Nanami episodes are kinda the breather episodes between the crazy crazy crazy going on. It can't ALL be incredibly sexy men riding shirtless on the hood of their sexy cars in the middle of the night during an increasingly less metaphoric sex scene.

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with the character traits that you mentioned down to the devotion, but the turn around needs to be logical; the framework needs to be in place. When someone's that devoted, hard expectations usually comes along with, the anger when they're not met, etc, and Kirito just getting this free pass to be a blah harem lead from a rabid fan is something I find so shite. And disappointing. I'm not surprised to see they never even argue, given the way things look from where I am.

It's funny that you mention the books, since I actually went and read a translated bit a little while ago to see if things are explained better, since the anime moves at this ridiculously fast pace, and they do. The translation, or writing's funky, but the scenes are given their proper enough pacing it seems. To say the least, lol.

I would have appreciated Asuna doing more independently of Kirito, and in fact, that she
did do things independent of him during the second half of the show
was something I thought better, but I dunno. I just couldn't get into it because I didn't like Kirito, and I think one's enjoyment of the show does, to some extent, depend on whether or not you like Kirito.

It mostly abandoned his inner monologue and learning about the world via his POV.

Well I can't vouch for its contents, since I've never read them. The only LN I've ever read is part of the first FMP, through which I'm currently reading. I just trust to cnet's comments about them, since he has read them, and I have no reason to believe he'd lie about that.

Megas XLR 209

Coop kills Optimus Prime, blows up Tatooine, kills Megatron and all the Decepticons, and causes a dramatic global climate change on Hoth, making the local Wookies need to adapt rapidly to it. This level of destruction and carnage might be the sort of thing that would make lesser species, like the pansy Shi'ar empire, piss its pants with fear, but for Coop, it was Monday.

Chuck

Still without luck
Can anyone argue against me calling Titan violence porn? What an atrociously disgusting show. How in the fuck do people enjoy watching this?

iavi

I would have appreciated Asuna doing more independently of Kirito, and in fact, that she
did do things independent of him during the second half of the show
was something I thought better, but I dunno. I just couldn't get into it because I didn't like Kirito, and I think one's enjoyment of the show does, to some extent, depend on whether or not you like Kirito.

I keep thinking that the script wants me to be in this position where I should like Kirito the badass, but know he's Kirito the MMO addict. Like, there's that whole other level that's never mentioned, but the intro showed it, so I think it pivotal.

why this show gotta be so deep tho

faridmon

Can anyone argue against me calling Titan violence porn? What an atrociously disgusting show. How in the fuck do people enjoy watching this?

The show has bigger problem than what you call ''violence porn''. In fact, considering the settings and the themes behind it, I would argue that there isn't enough violence and gore.

yami4ct

I have stopped watching the show because of the miserable pacing, but I still read the manga. It really isn't violence porn. It's more misery porn than anything else. I never find the violence to be used in a fetishistic or extreme enough way to offend me. If you want violence porn, look at Deadman Wonderland. That series is offensive and horrible in more ways than I can count. Fetishizing violence is only one of its many crimes.

Jintor

I keep thinking that the script wants me to be in this position where I should like Kirito the badass, but know he's Kirito the MMO addict. Like, there's that whole other level that's never mentioned, but the intro showed it, so I think it pivotal.

why this show gotta be so deep tho

that's actually a great way to put it, why I feel even more disconnected from the character than I would from a meh character in another show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom