• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Those 2 episodes rocked. Corvo is in for a treat.

It's the most important part.

Hence my shame at forgetting it. Gonna mainline the end of Megas tomorrow.

And it's a shame that the last two episodes of Megas was awesome.

On the plus side, we don't have to watch it die a slow, sad death like some shows!

Glass Fleet 13

Clip show, and unless Michelle
slept with Betty during this episode and I missed it,
I don't think there was anything worth saying about it.

cajunator

Banned
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5
78aD4v6.gif

this whole episode reminded me of why i loved the whole series so much, plus the ending was really great :D

That gif is so good. Its made of joy and happiness.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Studio BONES to release a Megas sequel in 2017, issuing in a second age of mecha supremacy. BELIEVE.

Well the creators are in talks with Titmouse and CN for a third season. /fingerscrossed

Those 2 episodes rocked. Corvo is in for a treat.

So good, he's gonna love 'em.

Hence my shame at forgetting it. Gonna mainline the end of Megas tomorrow.

You have to watch them both tomorrow.

Theonik

Nichijou 11
That poem gag. Haha. Yuuko can't catch a break. How unfortunate.
Production values in this continue to be amazing. Also
Sakamoto almost died holy shit. Poor old guy too.

That's why it's a shame.
Kiva to forever look for a Protonic Stabilizer.
You know Corvo has made me really want to rewatch MEGAS. But I must refrain.

fertygo

Silver Spoon - 06

Damn, great episode.. its pretty fun but also deliver the rather heavy scene.. man just watching this you can recognize the manga are pretty damn good, based Arakawa.

what up with this season anime and the thought of eating animals though?

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 7

If you were worried about this episode not being storyboarded by Hatekeyama, worry no more, because this episode has some of the best layouts in the series so far. The tea-brewing scene at the beginning is especially nice. There's also some creative metaphorical imagery and meaningful use of camera angles, as well as some nice animation.

This episode is a little bit slower than previous ones, and the second half gets a bit bogged down in exposition. Still, there are some nice character moments, particularly in the conversation between Jun and Suigintou. Jun can be remarkably perceptive when it comes to others despite his self-destructive idiocy concerning his own relationships.

CorvoSol

Yeah seeing it go down in a blaze of light is better than them running out of ideas. But it's clear they were planning for more.

Well yeah, it shares the fate of Spectacular Spider-Man and Batman Beyond for great shows that were axed just as they were getting really good.

Well the creators are in talks with Titmouse and CN for a third season. /fingerscrossed

You have to watch them both tomorrow.

One can only hope. Especially with updated animation. That'd be nice. The only thing better than that CN could do for me would be a new season of Samurai Jack. I guess I should just be grateful they revived Toonami.

Kiva to forever look for a Protonic Stabilizer.
You know Corvo has made me really want to rewatch MEGAS. But I must refrain.

Speaking of rewatches, I'm dying to rewatch Eureka Seven, but I think what I'm going to do is 1)finish up my planned shows, 2)finally earn my Mecha Credentials by watching all of Getter, Mazinger, and Macross at once, and then 3)binge on all my mecha favorites again.

This depends on whether any show can prove as terrible as AO between now and then.

Victory Gundam 7

You know, I've heard a LOT of dumb things in anime, but "I've revived the tradition of driving a motorcycle, and it has made me invincible!" is perhaps one of the funniest of them all. That it serves as foreshadowing
to the fact that the Zanscare Empire has also revived the positively barbarian Guillotine and uses it on a named character in this show only makes things that much worse. This scene also sets the tone for exactly what kind of show this is.
And I mean, damn. Not only do we see
the Count beheaded (off screen)
, but we also get to see a very, very creepy
torture device employed before that.
I know the show had already made a point that
guillotines were in use, but I had thought it metaphoric until this point.

Also Shakti gets pissed on after cleaning a dirty diaper. You needed to hear this as much as I needed to see it. Which is not at all, I hope.

Uso looks so damn nineties. Like he has that dumb bowl cut and he wears his baseball cap backwards. He's basically Mighty Max in a Gundam.

Shakti and Uso also keep thinking they can somehow just up and go back to Kaserelia whenever they want. Well, I mean, Shakti's realized Uso cannot back out now, but he hasn't. Meanwhile Katejina just sits there, looking Dorothy.

Again, though,
a man was tortured and then decapitated in this episode. Last episode a man cried after killing his subordinates, and then blew himself up with a grenade.
Victory Gundam is like if you took the last five episodes of Zeta Gundam and made them into a series.
Which means I expect Uso to lose his sanity before we're through here.

Shergal

So what's his actual name? Shinichi Omata or Mamoru Hatakeyama? I registered him as the former, but if he's using the other one for series supervision maybe I should call him that?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One can only hope. Especially with updated animation. That'd be nice. The only thing better than that CN could do for me would be a new season of Samurai Jack. I guess I should just be grateful they revived Toonami.

Also, the same VA cast must return. That is non-negotiable.

I know Megas is a show I want to rewatch, but the backlog and all. Think it's the only one I'm really pining to rewatch though, but it's not large enough to say fuck everything else so that's good.

Branduil

So what's his actual name? Shinichi Omata or Mamoru Hatakeyama? I registered him as the former, but if he's using the other one for series supervision maybe I should call him that?

I don't know, I just figured I'd call him by the name he signs off on as a director.

Theonik

Well yeah, it shares the fate of Spectacular Spider-Man and Batman Beyond for great shows that were axed just as they were getting really good.
At least Batman Beyond got its customary 52 episodes and a proper conclusion on the Justice League. MEGAS and Samurai Jack suffered a much more wicked fate.

Tartakovsky was still in talks about making a Samurai Jack conclusion movie so that could happen. But this has been going on forever so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Fact is CN axed them even though they were popular shows just because of poor merchandising so convincing them would be hard.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
At least Batman Beyond got its customary 52 episodes and a proper conclusion on the Justice League. MEGAS and Samurai Jack suffered a much more wicked fate.

Tartakovsky was still in talks about making a Samurai Jack conclusion movie so that could happen. But this has been going on forever so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Fact is CN axed them even though they were popular shows just because of poor merchandising so convincing them would be hard.

I don't know how you can do an end to Samurai Jack without Mako :(

wonzo

Banned
Recorder to Randoseru Mi 6

recordermi6.jpg

yet another day in the life of Take; the constantly unemployed neighbour, this time featuring a boss that tries to hook him up with the "little" girl ._.

CorvoSol

Also, the same VA cast must return. That is non-negotiable.

Definitely. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

I don't know how you can do an end to Samurai Jack without Mako :(

On that note, it would be hard, but I think that Norio Wakamoto could maybe fill that role. He's just about the only one, though.

Also I am only half way through School Days 4 and I just. I can't believe what I'm seeing in this episode.

cajunator

Banned

On that note, it would be hard, but I think that Norio Wakamoto could maybe fill that role. He's just about the only one, though.

Also I am only half way through School Days 4 and I just. I can't believe what I'm seeing in this episode.

Corvy Kun, who got you interested in School Days? Its an interesting experience Ill give it that.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Yeah, though I think it would probably be easy to get everone back, though might be a touch harder to get David DeLuise back as Coop, but not that much.

For Aku that guy who took over for Iroh in avatar might work, but that pushing it probably.

CorvoSol

Corvy Kun, who got you interested in School Days? Its an interesting experience Ill give it that.

Is "Anime-GAF" too broad an answer? I dunno. I've seen all the other most notable things on the List, might as well get this out of the way.

Yeah, though I think it would probably be easy to get everone back, though might be a touch harder to get David DeLuise back as Coop, but not that much.
For Aku that guy who took over for Iroh in avatar might work, but that pushing it probably.

Whichever way, I really hope it works out. Megas is such a great show.

A word of warning, the following segment of the post will contain "OOOH" "AAAH" and other capitalized words for emphasis. I'll spoiler the whole thing for your protection, but you've been advised if you click it.

School Days 4

Makoto is one fucking step away from being a rapist. That's not where I wanted to start this review, but there you have it. I just wanted to get that shit off my chest first, and I'll come back to it as I go.

So first and foremost, I'm guessing the idea of this episode's title, "Purity" is meant to be ironic, right? Because it sort of pisses me off the way that they keep referring to any sexual activity as "perverted." That shit confuses the issue, and you can see it all over this episode. The scenarios that Katsura described to Sekai might be unrealistic and fantastic, but they were also endearingly romantic in both sense of the word, and I really think there's far, far less perverted about sex and sexual relations in the way she's thinking about them as compared to Makoto and Sekai. Notably, it is perverted for Makoto to get grabby as fuck on his girlfriend, turn around and nearly rape his other female friend. Sorry, getting ahead again. It isn't perverted for a girl to fantasize about one day having sex when she's what, fifteen?

That sounds jumbled and is probably telling of my psychology, but the point is, Makoto is forcing Katsura to feel like she needs to put out for him. Her statements of "I wish I could" on that note might sound different coming from a girl ten years older, but Katsura is not at the age where she should be dealing with this kind of stuff. And Makoto's fucking bitching about how tiring it is having a girlfriend who won't put out, and his constant use of "It's MY" fault is as abusive as it gets. Katsura's being pushed into this, and the longer this goes on, the less I think Sekai really has her best interests in mind. ESPECIALLY since she DIDN'T talk down to Itou about his groping Katsura, but rather used the opportunity for her own gains.

And then there's that fucking rooftop scene. I've seen my fair share of romantic rooftop scenes, and that was not one. It started out harmless enough, sure, with Makoto and Sekai spending all afternoon looking for a private place to fuck practice making out, and when they finally did, I was prepared to say "oh, this is tragic like a Grecian play, this love triangle here, tangled web we weave yadda yadda." UNTIL Sekai told the guy to stop and he FORCED HER ARMS DOWN AND HIS LEG BETWEEN HERS. That, coupled with his little "it's MY fault" mind game and the originally fairly innocuous grope paints an entirely different picture of this kid. Makoto's not just some horny teen in desperate need of getting some. He crosses that line when he goes from doing whatever he has to socially to get some to doing whatever he has to physically.

And Sekai isn't without blame in this. Not as much because she's leading him on, but because she's using Katsura to do it, rather than being open about her feelings. That's more back on the level of a tragedy than the reprehensible levels of filth that Makoto has become. Being a horny teen we all get. Being one step away from raping a girl, not so much.

Moving on to other things, I want to stab fucking staring girl in the face. God damn her face is nothing but two giant, lidless eyes, wreathed in fire. She's got fucking Sauron times two for a face, except Sauron had lines! And the constant gossiping! Hot damn, things are already proceeding in such a way that these people will hate each other, but the gossip is just adding gasoline to a burner set to max.

And I swear to God the next person who takes the bus or goes to the cafeteria in a petty attempt to avoid someone gets their fucking larynx removed by my hand.

Acosta

Blue Exorcist Movie

Well, how about that? This was pretty good. Superficially it's like an anime Three Men and a Baby bookended by action pieces but there's actually this nice examination of the value of memory in shaping identity, the importance of how one interprets duty, and the bonds shared between one another. The character drama was surprisingly satisfying as a result.

I don't know shit about this franchise but whomever made this movie did a wonderful job in conveying character relationships and hierarchy visually throughout. The tribunal scene in particular stood out in establishing Rin's rank compared to his brother and those above him. Everything else could be reasonably inferred just by character interaction. By the end, it felt like I knew Rin all along and I think that's commendable.

Anyhow, beautiful movie, the Rin/Usamaro relationship was great, and I'm glad others in this thread brought this to my attention as I sure as hell wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Whatever though, the art is what's going to sell this as a watch more than the story so here you go:

Jesus... thanks for the review, I need to watch this.

Can I buy it somewhere? I have checked Amazon but I think I'm just seeing the series and in Japanese).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 7: You know, there is just the odd dichotomy to this show that comes from spot welding Space Pirate Adventures to High School Slice of Life antics. Even Misa and Kane seem to be aware of it and comment, I will note, that when something is so credulous or stupid that characters are commenting on the stupidity of a situation means you should have dropped the High School subplots. Yes, I consider the the majority of the High School/Maid Cafe shit to be mostly worthless subplots for the time being. Even the show had a hard time justifying the whole Marika Kato is failing her classes angle since it turns out running a space pirate crew is, even in anime, a whole order of magnitude more important then god damned high school. Anyway, the Pirates of the Caribbean show seemingly goes a bit daft and some foreshadowing is dropped and it seems a child stowaway has appeared on the The Bentenmaru to hopefully kick off the first full fledged Pirate arc.

cajunator

Banned
Is "Anime-GAF" too broad an answer? I dunno. I've seen all the other most notable things on the List, might as well get this out of the way.

Whichever way, I really hope it works out. Megas is such a great show.

A word of warning, the following segment of the post will contain "OOOH" "AAAH" and other capitalized words for emphasis. I'll spoiler the whole thing for your protection, but you've been advised if you click it.

School Days 4

Makoto is one fucking step away from being a rapist. That's not where I wanted to start this review, but there you have it. I just wanted to get that shit off my chest first, and I'll come back to it as I go.

So first and foremost, I'm guessing the idea of this episode's title, "Purity" is meant to be ironic, right? Because it sort of pisses me off the way that they keep referring to any sexual activity as "perverted." That shit confuses the issue, and you can see it all over this episode. The scenarios that Katsura described to Sekai might be unrealistic and fantastic, but they were also endearingly romantic in both sense of the word, and I really think there's far, far less perverted about sex and sexual relations in the way she's thinking about them as compared to Makoto and Sekai. Notably, it is perverted for Makoto to get grabby as fuck on his girlfriend, turn around and nearly rape his other female friend. Sorry, getting ahead again. It isn't perverted for a girl to fantasize about one day having sex when she's what, fifteen?

That sounds jumbled and is probably telling of my psychology, but the point is, Makoto is forcing Katsura to feel like she needs to put out for him. Her statements of "I wish I could" on that note might sound different coming from a girl ten years older, but Katsura is not at the age where she should be dealing with this kind of stuff. And Makoto's fucking bitching about how tiring it is having a girlfriend who won't put out, and his constant use of "It's MY" fault is as abusive as it gets. Katsura's being pushed into this, and the longer this goes on, the less I think Sekai really has her best interests in mind. ESPECIALLY since she DIDN'T talk down to Itou about his groping Katsura, but rather used the opportunity for her own gains.

And then there's that fucking rooftop scene. I've seen my fair share of romantic rooftop scenes, and that was not one. It started out harmless enough, sure, with Makoto and Sekai spending all afternoon looking for a private place to fuck practice making out, and when they finally did, I was prepared to say "oh, this is tragic like a Grecian play, this love triangle here, tangled web we weave yadda yadda." UNTIL Sekai told the guy to stop and he FORCED HER ARMS DOWN AND HIS LEG BETWEEN HERS. That, coupled with his little "it's MY fault" mind game and the originally fairly innocuous grope paints an entirely different picture of this kid. Makoto's not just some horny teen in desperate need of getting some. He crosses that line when he goes from doing whatever he has to socially to get some to doing whatever he has to physically.

And Sekai isn't without blame in this. Not as much because she's leading him on, but because she's using Katsura to do it, rather than being open about her feelings. That's more back on the level of a tragedy than the reprehensible levels of filth that Makoto has become. Being a horny teen we all get. Being one step away from raping a girl, not so much.

Moving on to other things, I want to stab fucking staring girl in the face. God damn her face is nothing but two giant, lidless eyes, wreathed in fire. She's got fucking Sauron times two for a face, except Sauron had lines! And the constant gossiping! Hot damn, things are already proceeding in such a way that these people will hate each other, but the gossip is just adding gasoline to a burner set to max.

And I swear to God the next person who takes the bus or goes to the cafeteria in a petty attempt to avoid someone gets their fucking larynx removed by my hand.

Corvy Kun this show will cause you great anguish at times but stick with it.
We're here for you.

Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 7: You know, there is just the odd dichotomy to this show that comes from spot welding Space Pirate Adventures to High School Slice of Life antics. Even Misa and Kane seem to be aware of it and comment, I will note, that when something is so credulous or stupid that characters are commenting on the stupidity of a situation means you should have dropped the High School subplots. Yes, I consider the the majority of the High School/Maid Cafe shit to be mostly worthless subplots for the time being. Even the show had a hard time justifying the whole Marika Kato is failing her classes angle since it turns out running a space pirate crew is, even in anime, a whole order of magnitude more important then god damned high school. Anyway, the Pirates of the Caribbean show seemingly goes a bit daft and some foreshadowing is dropped and it seems a child stowaway has appeared on the The Bentenmaru to hopefully kick off the first full fledged Pirate arc.

Yeah it gets better at that point.

School Days 4

Bu-but they were just practicing!

Get used to little green haired girl, cause she's gonna be around with that soulless expression on her face for a looooong time.

i think this is precisly where things get faster and richer.
The whole contrast between the 2 lives marika have ( student vs pirate ) is a subject that get stated numerous times but each time they do it , it'll be for more character or world building so.... you should be alright.

cajunator

Banned
i think this is precisly where things get faster and richer.
The whole contrast between the 2 lives marika have ( student vs pirate ) is a subject that get stated numerous times but each time they do it , it'll be for more character or world building so.... you should be alright.

Yeah it pretty much picks up at that point.
Spends more time in space. The not-Usagis show up. Things get fun.

Dynedom

Majestic Prince - 19

So many
glaringly obvious death flags
and they didn't even stretch it out, with
all members of Doberman biting it in the same episode
. I guess that's something. I do feel kinda bad for
Patrick :(
. I always knew
Doberman would eventually become cannon fodder (or at least, Randy)
so it's not entirely shocking.

End game begins now!

Omata is his real name; Hatakeyama is the pen name he's using for the shows he's directing. I just use the former because it's less of a mouthful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom