• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Worst girl. Dunno why people like her.

iCIUkScqrLaTN.gif

Mr.Jeff

It's almost like it's 2007.
But for that to happen, a number of them will have to turn out good.

Edit: There's one interesting thing about newcomers to Eva as opposed to say School Days :
The nature of all the endings make it very hard to spoil. I mean you can't seriously tell someone about eps 25/26 or the End of and have them believe you.

AOTY tier:
Kill la Kill

Excite tier:
Valvrave s2

Anticipated tier:
Pupa
Yozakura Quartet
Magi s2

Curious tier:
Outbreak Company
Log Horizon
Kikou Shoujo wa Kitzutsukanai
Galileil Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Tokyo Ravens
Strike the Blood
Kyoukai no Kanata
Coppelion
Multiple choice one with a long title (this seems familiar, but it's an LN and not a manga)
Bushiroad

Obligation tier:
Infinite Stratos 2
Phi Brain s3
Freezing Vibration

Gonna be a busy season.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds 6

• LOAD GALAX sure sounds a lot like Lord Galax which sure seems anthitetical to his goals of equality.
  • Ep looked pretty nice aside from the dogshit Papyrus segment
  • Sugane is still working well at this old school representation of heroic idealism.
  • Savant Hajime returns:
  • I fully believe she unmasked in view of the cameras purpsefully so people could have a face to associate with herosim. Doesn't hurt she looked awesome in uniform sans helmet.
  • She showed off her NOTE intentionally to gauge Rui's reaction.
  • She also saw through Rui's disguise easily.

Theonik

Smile Precure 21

Yep, it's that time. Approaching halfway point in a Precure series.
At least Toei was nice enough with smile to include a handy timer on each episode counting down to the time shit gets real.
In addition to similarly creating the most pointless villain arc ever. Seriously these guys need energy which they get no matter if the PreCure defeat them or not so why bother with the fighting part.

Toei never learns. but it does teach.
Toei is a cruel teacher.

It's almost like it's 2007.
You mean it's not?

At least Toei was nice enough with smile to include a handy timer on each episode counting down to the time shit gets real.
In addition to similarly creating the most pointless villain arc ever. Seriously these guys need energy which they get no matter if the PreCure defeat them or not so why bother with the fighting part.

Competent villians? In a show where everyone is effectively stupid?

Go_Ly_Dow

Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon 6

This show is lovely. Simply one of those feel good shows you can sit back, relax and thoroughly enjoy.

CorvoSol

MEGAS XLR 213 (And Series Finale)

So Evil!Coop's army is an army of giant mecha Cylons, crossbred with Goufs. Because Evil!Coop realized that the Gouf is the most powerful mook ever, and made an army of them. Speaking of MSG references, Evil!Coop himself is basically a Char Clone, circa CCA, with the red uniform, and the fact that the MEGAS XLR 013 is basically what would happen if the Sazabi and the MEGAS had a baby.

For the sake of comparison:

The final episode, visual references aside, is nothing but one of the best mecha beat downs I've ever seen. Like I said last night, it's sad that Megas ended, but I'm glad that it went down swinging. The fight in this episode is just one long, unadulterated brawl, with match ups of the best kind, with Coop vs Coop, Coop vs Kiva, Gorath vs Kiva, and so on. It's also hilarious that after taking seven levels in badass and piloting his own custom mech, Alt!Jaime is still basically just along for the ride as Coop and Gorath throw-down with the final bosses.

The episode also casts quite a few questions upon the show's basic set-up. Foremost is "what does happen after Coop beats the Glorft forever?" The show answers it in a very serious manner, pointing out that this guy, who has basically defeated all the most powerful threats in the known Universe, and who has a penchant for violence and a tendency to blow shit up with little regard for it, will basically become the most terrifying force in the entire universe. And it makes sense, too: if you stop laughing about all the horrible stuff Coop does for a minute, he is in many ways as terrible a threat as the one he just quashed.

Next up is Kiva's devotion to Coop. During the Space Pirate episode, Kiva showed she trusted Coop a LOT, and there were some really, really subtle implications that Kiva, at least, has feelings for Coop. This takes it to its furthest extent, showing that her attraction to or devotion to Coop is such that he will eventually wear down her morality. And since she has basically shrugged off the damage Coop has done, and has trained him in ways of doing more, it comes as no surprise that Kiva is one bad day from losing her sanity and humanity, and becoming Coop's loyal dragon.

Meanwhile, Jaime's repressed feelings of inferiority to Coop, which have only grown over the course of the show, demonstrate the most remarkable of changes. Namely, that Jaime isn't as loyal to Coop as Kiva, and that Coop's amorality would drive him away from him and to become a leader of the Resistance. And of course, there's the very telling point that whatever bond Kiva and Jaime might form is not trumped by her feelings for Coop. It's rather brilliantly done, I think.

Of note though, is that while Evil!Coop, Robo!Kiva and Alt!Jaime all are "cooler" and come from a "bad" future and pilot "cooler" mechs, none of them are portrayed as better than their "uncool" regular counterparts. Alt!Jaime is called a bigger creep than normal by his own best friend, and it shows. Robo!Kiva is an obsessed, homicidal monster, deprived of the moral code that centered her character throughout the show. And of course, Evil Coop, no matter how cool, is Evil, and is shown to have abandoned his best friend and most prized possession for no good reason.

I bring this up as a means of pointing out to shows like Eureka Seven AO and Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness, that when you have taken for your protagonist a loveable loser, chances are you already made him cool. Coop is a fat, jobless chump who lives in his mom's basement, yes, but he also kicks alien ass, saves the Earth on a daily basis, is an expert mechanic, and uses the power of Rock and Roll to look badass doing it. Renton might be the biggest dork ever born, with a hilariously cheesy crush on the first girl he even meets in his show, and he might sound whiny and dopey, but he also uses the power of love to fucking carve his name and his girlfriend's onto the moon after he's kicked the asses of alien abominations and human monsters. Akito might have been an anime obsessed nerd and cook, but he was also a war hero with more than a few victories notched into his belt. None of these characters need to be dressed in black, given some harsh event in their life for the sake of melodrama, and then touted as BATMAN or KIRITO or whatever other generic caped melodramatic hero you have. If you want Batman, make Batman. Just don't make the guy who is already a cool nerd into him.

That, to me, at least, is the point of Evil!Coop.

So yeah, I'm sad the show is over, but that final episode was not a bad way for it to end. Really worth it, and I'm so glad I watched it. The show is a hoot, and the fights never, ever disappoint. Thank you, based Felix. I definitely recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of giant robots.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 20

I said, now I've got my Magic Bus.

If the Maho Dou meant so much to Majo Rica, why the hell did she gamble it away in a card game?

I thought that was a pretty crackpot plan by Doremi at first, but man, they tricked out that bus. I was waiting for somebody at the end to claim ownership of the bus and take it away, to which Doremi would again proclaim herself the unluckiest pretty girl in the world. But no, it didn't happen. Yet.

jbug617

Banned
Love Lab 7

First 25 minutes of the show is basically filler. There are some moments but nothing really stands out. The story really didn't advance till the last 5 minutes of the show.
Now that Riko has to go to cram school I expect the boys to be full time on the show.

Also this is not a :SDBurton episode.

cnet128

Banned
Love Lab 7

First 25 minutes of the show is basically filler. There are some moments but nothing really stands out. The story really didn't advance till the last 5 minutes of the show.
Now that Riko has to go to cram school I expect the boys to be full time on the show.

Also this is not a :SDBurton episode.

The only thing that counts as filler in a show about cute girls and amusing antics is content that contains neither cuteness nor humour. The entirety of this episode contained large quantities of both, therefore I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be called filler.

jbug617

Banned
The only thing that counts as filler in a show about cute girls and amusing antics is content that contains neither cuteness nor humour. The entirety of this episode contained large quantities of both, therefore I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be called filler.

Well the cuteness and humor is subjective and I felt this episode it was phoned in compared to the past episodes.

Theonik

But even so, you have to attempt to kill off any opposition either way.
Let's not even get to the "The villains could win by default, if only they stopped attacking the city the heroes live in"
At least HeartCatch PreCure gives a reason for that and the vilains seem set back from losing.

So yeah, I'm sad the show is over, but that final episode was not a bad way for it to end. Really worth it, and I'm so glad I watched it. The show is a hoot, and the fights never, ever disappoint. Thank you, based Felix. I definitely recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of giant robots.
YOU dig Giant Robots!
I dig Giant Robots!
WE dig Giant Robots!
CHICKS dig Giant Robots!

Let's not even get to the "The villains could win by default, if only they stopped attacking the city the heroes live in"
At least HeartCatch PreCure gives a reason for that and the vilains seem set back from losing.

I asked about why didn't they just attack somewhere else like months ago, and all I got was BUT BUT THERE COULD BE MOOOORE!

Also, HCPC was good, asking for another geniunely good all around Precure is like asking for the Moon.

Articalys

Out of nowhere, it seems that Crunchyroll will now be streaming RWBY weekly.
Director Monty Oum says, “It is an incredible honor for RWBY to be hosted on the most respected and cutting edge site for this generation of anime fans. As we hope to contribute to this genre of storytelling and help it grow, a relationship with Crunchyroll brings a great deal of credibility that one can only earn by being a truly dedicated fan. This partnership truly helps validate our efforts in creating our own form of storytelling piece that we hope one day stands among the rest.”

Seda

Neon Genesis Evangelion 10-12

I don't have much to say about these episodes.
Three angels in, three angels defeated. The trio of pilots seem to be gelling a little more. Misato gives her background on why she works for NERV, and Gendo tells his son "good work", and Shinji admits the reason why he continues to pilot is to hear more praise from his father.
Nothing greatly interesting, but still enjoyable enough.

Articalys

As always, it's still way too early for me to make a list for Fall.

--------------------------

According to previews, looks like Funimation is using the title Good Luck Girl for their release of Binbougami ga! in November.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Damn, now you've reminded me about the Miyako nendo.

Well they did skip out a few chapters and I guess there's always the Aqua pre-series but considering the VA for Athena and the singer for Athena both died, I seriously doubt we'll ever get anymore.

I'd be full steam ahead for Amanchu though! or even a second series of Sketchbook...
There were some missed chapters, but Aqua was covered by S1 for the most part. And right, I forgot about the actor being dead. :(

Edit: Icarus - the white cat in the first picture bears a resemblance to Hime and the hat in the second is pretty close to President Aria's.
Hmm, still not seeing it. Too subtle.
Specifically, it's a giant furball cat trying to flirt with a normal "Hime" looking cat. But yeah, the captain's hat is a lot like Aria-sachou's cap. Although, of course, it's not the tiny version.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

So Evil!Coop's army is an army of giant mecha Cylons, crossbred with Goufs. Because Evil!Coop realized that the Gouf is the most powerful mook ever, and made an army of them. Speaking of MSG references, Evil!Coop himself is basically a Char Clone, circa CCA, with the red uniform, and the fact that the MEGAS XLR 013 is basically what would happen if the Sazabi and the MEGAS had a baby.

The final episode, visual references aside, is nothing but one of the best mecha beat downs I've ever seen. Like I said last night, it's sad that Megas ended, but I'm glad that it went down swinging. The fight in this episode is just one long, unadulterated brawl, with match ups of the best kind, with Coop vs Coop, Coop vs Kiva, Gorath vs Kiva, and so on. It's also hilarious that after taking seven levels in badass and piloting his own custom mech, Alt!Jaime is still basically just along for the ride as Coop and Gorath throw-down with the final bosses.

The episode also casts quite a few questions upon the show's basic set-up. Foremost is "what does happen after Coop beats the Glorft forever?" The show answers it in a very serious manner, pointing out that this guy, who has basically defeated all the most powerful threats in the known Universe, and who has a penchant for violence and a tendency to blow shit up with little regard for it, will basically become the most terrifying force in the entire universe. And it makes sense, too: if you stop laughing about all the horrible stuff Coop does for a minute, he is in many ways as terrible a threat as the one he just quashed.

Next up is Kiva's devotion to Coop. During the Space Pirate episode, Kiva showed she trusted Coop a LOT, and there were some really, really subtle implications that Kiva, at least, has feelings for Coop. This takes it to its furthest extent, showing that her attraction to or devotion to Coop is such that he will eventually wear down her morality. And since she has basically shrugged off the damage Coop has done, and has trained him in ways of doing more, it comes as no surprise that Kiva is one bad day from losing her sanity and humanity, and becoming Coop's loyal dragon.

Meanwhile, Jaime's repressed feelings of inferiority to Coop, which have only grown over the course of the show, demonstrate the most remarkable of changes. Namely, that Jaime isn't as loyal to Coop as Kiva, and that Coop's amorality would drive him away from him and to become a leader of the Resistance. And of course, there's the very telling point that whatever bond Kiva and Jaime might form is not trumped by her feelings for Coop. It's rather brilliantly done, I think.

Of note though, is that while Evil!Coop, Robo!Kiva and Alt!Jaime all are "cooler" and come from a "bad" future and pilot "cooler" mechs, none of them are portrayed as better than their "uncool" regular counterparts. Alt!Jaime is called a bigger creep than normal by his own best friend, and it shows. Robo!Kiva is an obsessed, homicidal monster, deprived of the moral code that centered her character throughout the show. And of course, Evil Coop, no matter how cool, is Evil, and is shown to have abandoned his best friend and most prized possession for no good reason.

I bring this up as a means of pointing out to shows like Eureka Seven AO and Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness, that when you have taken for your protagonist a loveable loser, chances are you already made him cool. Coop is a fat, jobless chump who lives in his mom's basement, yes, but he also kicks alien ass, saves the Earth on a daily basis, is an expert mechanic, and uses the power of Rock and Roll to look badass doing it. Renton might be the biggest dork ever born, with a hilariously cheesy crush on the first girl he even meets in his show, and he might sound whiny and dopey, but he also uses the power of love to fucking carve his name and his girlfriend's onto the moon after he's kicked the asses of alien abominations and human monsters. Akito might have been an anime obsessed nerd and cook, but he was also a war hero with more than a few victories notched into his belt. None of these characters need to be dressed in black, given some harsh event in their life for the sake of melodrama, and then touted as BATMAN or KIRITO or whatever other generic caped melodramatic hero you have. If you want Batman, make Batman. Just don't make the guy who is already a cool nerd into him.

You're welcome! I'm overjoyed you liked it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Truly the greatest mech show of our time. It's a shame they never got to do the episode where
Coop accidentally sets the Glorft off on their quest for universal domination
like they had planned too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom