• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So I got distracted for a week or two, but I finished watching Girls Und Panzer and that shit was nanners. Porsche Tiger is the secret hero.

It's easily the single best piece of pro-Imperial Japan propaganda I have ever seen. Glory be to our hypothetical alternate history aquatic suzerain.

yami4ct

The Girl Who Leapt through Time

After seeing both Wolf Children and Summer Wars, I finally caught this one to complete the set. I have got to say, I absolutely adored it. Not sure how much I have to add to the numerous things that have been said, so I'll keep it kind of brief. Everything about this film got me. It's amazingly done on almost every level. The pacing is great, the major characters are nicely well rounded, and the animation is absolutely stunning.

There are a few things that impressed me about the film, but probably what got me most besides the stunning visuals was how well scoped it was. With time travel stories, it's really easy to let things get out of control. Here, time travel isn't really the focus. Hosada doesn't let it take over the tale. He's able to use it to aid a deeply beautiful, personal story. It enhances the emotional impact of the film rather than convoluting it to the point of losing that impact. It's quite something and I really enjoyed every second of it.

The other thing I really adored was Makoto. She's just great. It's nice to see such a well written female lead. Very few people, both in the west and in Japan, can write good female protagonists. They tend to be shallow and one dimensional. Makoto is anything but. She's funny, she's energetic, she's clumsy, but no one trait rules her entire character. She feels like a real human being. This is something that really worked for me in Wolf Children as well and is one of my favorite parts of what Hosada does. I hope he continues to bring great females to the screen. We definitely could use them.

I know I'm extremely late to the bandwagon here, but Hosada is one of the people who gets me most excited in cinema today. Everything he does i super interesting in its own way. His filmography is already really impressive compared to many others working today. He's made 2 fantastic original films in Wolf Children and Girl Who Leapt through Time and even if Summer Wars wasn't his best work, it's still better than a lot of the stuff getting put out. If he keeps this up, he's going to end up making something truly special. Wolf Children and GWLtP come really, really close, but I feel he has even more in him. For sure I'll be right in line for whatever he ends up doing next.

Neptunia - 06

This episode was 100% entertaining..

So cute cliffanger became annoying kid , but hasty enough so that she moves the usually unmovable neptuna so that's a feat ... then we realise that a Sdburton garden bloomed out of nowhere:

Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2006_1.jpg

That's a way to become independant i guess.

a huge amount of running gags later , including the sony network security ( lol ) & bill gates , illustrated by the character representing windows :

We have the most plot heavy part so far for this arc , but not without a dose of crazy. i guess
cosplaying is not a crime
... and then we end with ANOTHER cliffanger.

Neptunia the animation , you're doing a great job at making things entertaining..so deliciously self- aware , so nice to watch....BRAVO

ilya 6

well things happening.

weird that this show has the best animated swordfight of the season lol.

That sword fight was cool BUT it had a bunch of errors in it.
i'm sad if this was the best this season had to offer.

don't get me wrong the episode as a whole was awesome. but once i rewatched the ep i found some things that annoyed me.

EdIt : weird ... the animation errors i watched in the niconico release are now gone. good for the show i guess.

yami4ct

They're making a full pokemon show not staring Ash and Pikachu? Color me interested. Nice to see something different. Should be fun to see how it turns out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They don't simul-dub the stuff airing right now, do they? Don't see any reason they'd do it here. It'll certainly get aired, though.

well this is a different thing then what the standard anime thats like a year or 2 ahead of everyone else and is obviously suppose to support x and y's release, then again, they didnt simul-dub the movie

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 21

They should have just let Reika continue to spiral into madness and then eventually to death.

Can't they report what Majo Ruka is doing to the Witch World? Though I guess their only way there was through Maho Dou, so I'm not even sure they could go there if they wanted.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Lab 7

First 25 minutes of the show is basically filler. There are some moments but nothing really stands out. The story really didn't advance till the last 5 minutes of the show.
Now that Riko has to go to cram school I expect the boys to be full time on the show.

Also this is not a :SDBurton episode.

Brb, jumping off a cliff.

Out of nowhere, it seems that Crunchyroll will now be streaming RWBY weekly.

NFjEiSs.gif

Aww yeah!

Neptunia - 06

This episode was 100% entertaining..

So cute cliffanger became annoying kid , but hasty enough so that she moves the usually unmovable neptuna so that's a feat ... then we realise that a Sdburton garden bloomed out of nowhere:

Maybe I should be watching this! :O

Pumpkin Scissors end

Not a bad ending. Not sure if I really like that they chose a minor commoner uprising as the cutoff point rather than something that furthers the overarching conspiracy with the military, but ah well, it had some heartwarming moments. As far as a story about issues with class goes, it definitely could have been worse.

Pretty good show on the whole, though it definitely got stale at points, and quality-wise, may not be worthy of the "Trigun + Fullmetal Alchemist" comparison. Still, it was a fun series that tackled a subject you rarely see in a fantasy setting from the beginning; post-war conflict. It may not have been handled the most realistically, but it was an enjoyable ride.

Now to switch over to the manga I guess.

yami4ct

well this is a different thing then what the standard anime thats like a year or 2 ahead of everyone else and is obviously suppose to support x and y's release, then again, they didnt simul-dub the movie

All of the Pokemon shows, and some of the movies, are made to support the new games. I'm still surprised their behind, honestly. I don't think they're coordinated enough to pull of a simul-dub. They are managing to get the game out at the same time now, though, so maybe we'll get the anime at the same time soon.

Is this like Gundam: The Origin, too?

Are we just rebooting Anime in general? I can live with this. Next year we'll have Mazinger and Getter Robo: The Origin, Sailor Moon: The Origin, Dragonball: The Origin, and so on.

Can't wait for Garzey's Wing Chronicles and Musashi Gundoh Rising.

DB_Origins_Cover.PNG

CorvoSol

Yo if Red picks anything other than a Charmander or a Pikachu, he'll go right back to being the dumbest of trainers. YOU DON'T NEED EASY MODE, BRO.

yami4ct

Yo if Red picks anything other than a Charmander or a Pikachu, he'll go right back to being the dumbest of trainers. YOU DON'T NEED EASY MODE, BRO.

Keep Pikachu the hell away. He's fine, but he's so overexposed. Better to make a clean break.

Plus, we all know Blastoise is the best of the starter evolutions. Who cares if he's easy mode? Too badass to care.

CorvoSol

Figures. DB would whore itself out to anyone for another nickel.

Keep Pikachu the hell away. He's fine, but he's so overexposed. Better to make a clean break.

Plus, we all know Blastoise is the best of the starter evolutions. Who cares if he's easy mode? Too badass to care.

Pikachu is only meant as an alternative to Poliwag or whatever that one starter was in that one manga. The point is no one should ever pick Blastoise or Venusaur, especially not a trainer named RED. Give the kid a Charizard and hope it finally bumps his damn cred in the games.

Ideally, he'd have Red's team from the games at the end (Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Snorlax and Espeon.) Especially Snorlax and Espeon. Need to see more of that.

yami4ct

Loving the redesigns Brock and Oak are getting for Origin. The stockier look makes Brock especially look much tougher.

Charizard, on the other hand, is looking a bit chunky in that trailer. Probably just the angle. Blastoise looks great.

CorvoSol

Yo my hype for this show is so high right now I can't even begin to think how high it is. I was gonna rewatch the old Pokemon but if they're gonna make a new one that'll do.

yami4ct

I think we can all agree, Venusaur is fat, boring and just genuinely awful. Bulbasaur isn't bad, but damn if that final evo isn't super disappointing.

Is this like Gundam: The Origin, too?

Are we just rebooting Anime in general? I can live with this. Next year we'll have Mazinger and Getter Robo: The Origin, Sailor Moon: The Origin, Dragonball: The Origin, and so on.

Can't wait for Garzey's Wing Chronicles and Musashi Gundoh Rising.

Nostalgia never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom