• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Tamayura - More Aggressive #7 - Oh the most mellow show ever continues to be awesome. More Sayomi is always awesome, and Tomo-chan in person was great. I want her as a regular.

Articalys

So I guess Aniplex is taking out full-page ads in the Yomiuri Shimbun every time a new Monogatari arc starts in the anime. They put one up for Neko White back before the first episode aired:
eGo70HT.jpg
And now they've got one up for Kabukimonogatari:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 7: Damnation, this was the best episode of the series, for the first 25 or so minutes, featuring the comedy antics firing on all cylinders, even though it seems Maki missed the memo and did not really Stella Academy is down the hall. The antics with the little brother were both rather true to life but also wore on the nerves the seventh time he got clobbered.
Then the episode had to pull this cram school swerve and all of a sudden were in the adventures of generic tsundereland with the generic romantic spaz from last episode, to this I will say FUCK YOU LOVE LAB!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I haven't watched Le Chevalier D'Eon and The Count of Monte Cristo in a while. Gonna try to finish/get most of the way finished with them sometime tonight.

Kagami

Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 7: You know, there is just the odd dichotomy to this show that comes from spot welding Space Pirate Adventures to High School Slice of Life antics. Even Misa and Kane seem to be aware of it and comment, I will note, that when something is so credulous or stupid that characters are commenting on the stupidity of a situation means you should have dropped the High School subplots. Yes, I consider the the majority of the High School/Maid Cafe shit to be mostly worthless subplots for the time being. Even the show had a hard time justifying the whole Marika Kato is failing her classes angle since it turns out running a space pirate crew is, even in anime, a whole order of magnitude more important then god damned high school. Anyway, the Pirates of the Caribbean show seemingly goes a bit daft and some foreshadowing is dropped and it seems a child stowaway has appeared on the The Bentenmaru to hopefully kick off the first full fledged Pirate arc.

The page is gone now, but there used to be an interview on Starchild's site that contained, among other questions:

●『ミニスカ宇宙海賊』のテーマやコンセプトは何でしょうか?
What's the theme/concept behind Miniskirt Space Pirates?

Sasamoto: It's designed to sell, based on the concept, "A high school girl in a miniskirt who's a space pirate sounds like fun, right?" (laugh)
So, what it was was, I wanted to do a "proper" sci-fi story with a solid depiction of outer space. But I figured if "proper sci-fi" was all it was, it would be too hardcore for anyone to want to read it, so I dressed it up with "high school girls" and "space pirates" to soften things in hopes that would get me some readership. (laugh) In this animated adaptation, they're going to be picking up those "proper sci-fi" elements and presenting it as such, so you can definitely look forward to that.

Mr.Jeff

There were some missed chapters, but Aqua was covered by S1 for the most part. And right, I forgot about the actor being dead. :(
Well they could always invent some new material; there were several episodes that were either partly or totally invented for the purposes or the show which turned out to be quite good not to mention a few chapters were they have proper Aika and Al development which they skipped.

But really as much as I love the show, I think it's time has passed and it's done what it needs to. Just listen to Shiawase Dekkai instead.

On the subject of -monogatari, is there ever an explanation on why half a dozen girls seem to perpetually be affected by various supernatural shenanigans? I mean beyond the necessity for plot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The page is gone now, but there used to be an interview on Starchild's site that contained, among other questions:

●『ミニスカ宇宙海賊』のテーマやコンセプトは何でしょうか?
What's the theme/concept behind Miniskirt Space Pirates?

Sasamoto: It's designed to sell, based on the concept, "A high school girl in a miniskirt who's a space pirate sounds like fun, right?" (laugh)
So, what it was was, I wanted to do a "proper" sci-fi story with a solid depiction of outer space. But I figured if "proper sci-fi" was all it was, it would be too hardcore for anyone to want to read it, so I dressed it up with "high school girls" and "space pirates" to soften things in hopes that would get me some readership. (laugh) In this animated adaptation, they're going to be picking up those "proper sci-fi" elements and presenting it as such, so you can definitely look forward to that.

I still reject the premise of Space K-On!

CorvoSol

You're welcome! I'm overjoyed you liked it.

Definitely a great show. Cartoon Network's had some real gems over the years. And MTV was about as dumb as it gets letting that one slip through their fingers.

No, its Densu. Get it right.

I don't know what a Densu is.

Truly the greatest mech show of our time. It's a shame they never got to do the episode where
Coop accidentally sets the Glorft off on their quest for universal domination
like they had planned too.

You can kinda see it at the end of the last episode, though,
where Coop has a chance to make peace with the Glorft and fumbles it spectacularly.

Erigu

On the subject of -monogatari, is there ever an explanation on why half a dozen girls seem to perpetually be affected by various supernatural shenanigans? I mean beyond the necessity for plot.
I seem to remember there's a reason why that particular place has seen a lot of supernatural activity lately, at least (
Kissshot's arrival
).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Giant Robo: The Animation: The Earth The Day Stood Still] 6
If there's one thing I have to criticise Giant Robo for is that it introduces (and disposes of) so many characters that it's difficult to keep track who is who when it jumps around from setting to setting. I understand a lot of this is just paying homage to Yokoyama's prolific career, but it's not very newcomer-friendly. Not to mention there's no real rhyme or reason as to who or what gets which super powers and a lot of the action seems self-indulgent.
Which doesn't mean it isn't FUCKING COOL, mind you. It gets repetitive to praise the show for its high production values all around, but that's really the highlight of the show. Looking around it doesn't seem this sold very well, so it's a cartoon that's clearly built on love for the material being (loosely) adapted. I should now wait three years to get to the conclusion. That's the true Japanese way~
RIP Go-sensei. And Ginrei went coo coo. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You still never shopped my idea for "Bi Beach Babes in Big Bots from Beyond" :(

I'll make that one when I get around to watching the Kamogawa Days special.

Sadly, unlike last year, there really aren't that many sacred cows to impart really awful titles on. I'll come up with something eventually.

Blue Exorcist: The Movie

This is without a doubt one of the best shounen franchise films I've seen. Admittedly I haven't seen that many, but still, this was really good. The art direction needs no additional praise beyond what others have posted in this thread; Shinji Kimura fills the film with eye candy from beginning to end. It works especially well for establishing the festival atmosphere. Also, the monster design was ace. But I knew that coming in. What I didn't expect was how good the story would be. It pretty much avoids battle shounen cliches, and instead crafts a compelling narrative which both establishes meaningful character relationships with a satisfying payoff, and thoughtfully explores the importance of memory to human beings. Despite being a franchise film with characters showing up who clearly had larger roles in the series, everyone had a role to play and every scene felt important; there was no time wasted on fanservice I wouldn't be able to appreciate. It's so tightly constructed.

Towards the end of the film, FMA: Sacred Star of Milos came to my mind. While Milos had better animation, Blue Exorcist managed to avoid all the storytelling flaws Milos fell prey to. It provided a complete package that I can't lay any serious criticisms to.

cajunator

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion 10-12

I don't have much to say about these episodes.
Three angels in, three angels defeated. The trio of pilots seem to be gelling a little more. Misato gives her background on why she works for NERV, and Gendo tells his son "good work", and Shinji admits the reason why he continues to pilot is to hear more praise from his father.
Nothing greatly interesting, but still enjoyable enough.

The show is as much a study of psychology as it is an action sci fi mech show.

As always, it's still way too early for me to make a list for Fall.

--------------------------

According to previews, looks like Funimation is using the title Good Luck Girl for their release of Binbougami ga! in November.

Hell yes :D

Crocodile

Reading this thread makes me want to rewatch Giant Robo and Mega XLR. It's been so long I've forgotten a lot of details for both shows.

On another note, am I a terrible person if I don't think RWBY is worse than cancer (which seems to be the prevailing opinion here)? Like I wouldn't call it "good" but most of the characters are so adorkable that I'm enjoying it. I'm a bit confused as to why the Red & Blue Halo series people are making an "anime" though to be fair I know very little about the people who made Red & Blue.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kitakubu 6

Not too much to say. Good stuff. Enjoying all the MonHun references.

Servant x Service 7

"What does BL mean?"

HAHAHAHA I FUCKING KNEW IT. :lol Goddamn this show is so good. And dat :DTL end card, too.

Meanwhile Ichimiya and Chihaya's relationship is just as complicated as ever. And Toko's still terrible, but she's not as grating as she was when she first appeared. So that's nice.

Articalys

Pokémon: The Origin TV Anime to Premiere in October
The Pocket Monsters: The Origin television anime will premiere in Japan on October 2 at 7:00 p.m. The anime was announced at the "Pokémon Game Show" event held at the Tokyo Big Site event center on Saturday.

Images from a promotional video shown at the event reveal that the anime will feature the player and rival characters from Nintendo's original Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green (released as Pokémon Blue in North America) video games. The original games' and television series' first gym leader Takeshi (known as Brock in English) will also appear in the upcoming anime. The Pokémon Hitokage (Charmander), Ishitsubute (Geodude), and Kamex (Blastoise) featured in the promotional video.

E3GkWpR.jpg

0CqvXzs.jpg

wonzo

Banned
i was really bummed out when pokemon red & blue didn't have unique sprites for each and every pokemon in the menu list. that was the day i learnt to never trust another ad for as long as i live.

I thought Red's cap was forward, not backward? He was the only character I knew that looked the coolest in his fanarts because of it. Either way I'm not sure I like the design but oh well. Pokemon Origins sounds cool I guess.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 5 - Yeah, I'm skipping some episodes, review-wise. Maybe I'll fill in the gaps later. Anyway, in this episode, Rin and Lluvia fight Saber at full power. It's pretty cool seeing them fighting with full full Magical Girl force. They're definitely better than Illya and Miyu are so far, unsurprisingly (they are older after all). It's amusing how even while they're viciously insulting eachother they are still able to work together quite well; they are a pretty good team, when they lay off fighting eachother for a few seconds. It's cool that Rin fights up close; you don't always see that in magical girl shows. But still, Saber is a very, very powerful opponent, one that pushes them to the limit...

6 - Now THIS was what I was waiting to see! Episode 5 was good, as seeing Rin and Lluvia fight at full power was pretty cool, but this but with this episode, we finally see Illya start to unlock (
literally and figuratively! :p
) her potential. And man, does she have potential. Awesome, awesome episode, surely the best one yet. The visuals are good as always, but the animation, fighting, CG, it all looks particularly good this episode. The fight is about as good as you'll find, too. Fantastic work all around. This show clearly has a decent budget, and it shows.

Of course the episode had to end with the predictable "
and then she didn't remember any of it afterwards
, which I expected but is, as always, annoying,but still, at least Miyu and Sapphire saw what Illya can really do... and it was really, really amazing stuff.
Crushing Saber like that, with nothing more than an Archer card... yes, Illya is a very special girl. Not the same kind of special person that the Illya of F/SN is, but she is clearly not normal...
and that's awesome. I mean, just look at what she did in this episode! She just completely destroyed a very, very powerful opponent. Yeah. Very impressive stuff. This episode was just filled with awesome. Illya went from weak and probably doomed to completely amazing in the space of a few seconds... I only hope that she'll soon get even just a fraction of that power level and fighting skill back again, she'll need it. I know that she gets stronger as the series goes along, so I was waiting for this... but yes, fortunately, weak Illya is going to go away soon, despite this episode's ending.

Yeah, I really hope that this show gets followup seasons; the second and third mangas are better all around than the first one. This is great... but it gets even better, for the most part.

from ep. 5 said:
vlcsnap-2013-08-15-03xoj4p.jpg

Quite right there, Illya.

vlcsnap-2013-08-15-0365jz0.jpg

Rin fighting is cool.

vlcsnap-2013-08-15-03fxju1.jpg

Don't blink, this is probably one of the only times one of these two will actually say something nice, or grateful, to the other one!

from ep. 6 said:
vlcsnap-2013-08-15-20psjfu.jpg

Before...

vlcsnap-2013-08-15-20f2kkz.jpg

See? I said it was literal!
During...

vlcsnap-2013-08-15-20yej4o.jpg

How?
By unleashing Illya's inner power, that's how!

After!

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-08-15-206vkyt.jpg
Naturally, as usual for Fate-universe archers, it seems, she fights with swords. Yeah, it makes as little sense as ever.

Defuser

Gatchaman crowds ep 7
Good god the art is terrible.

Love lab ep 7
Good god the art is terrible.

On the other hand, another excellent episode. Riko's little brother segments are great to see especially when he is lovestruck for Maki.

Anything related to Maki and the addition of guys really carry this show.

cajunator

Banned
So I guess Aniplex is taking out full-page ads in the Yomiuri Shimbun every time a new Monogatari arc starts in the anime. They put one up for Neko White back before the first episode aired:

And now they've got one up for Kabukimonogatari:

Watanabe. Best character designer. Ever. Ever ever.

Hmmmm, seems like an idea has formed in my head.

Careful! Figure collecting can get really out of hand! Not that Id know or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom