• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Pokémon: The Origin TV Anime to Premiere in October

E3GkWpR.jpg

0CqvXzs.jpg

Well this was a surprise. Cant say Im excited though.

AIKATSU SECOND SEASON CONFIRMED

BR1XBcpCAAAzLXc.png:large

Ive been curious about this show. Was it actually good or not?

OceanBlue

I'm too dumb for what just happened in Darker than Black episode 12...

Darker than Black is so different from how I was expecting it to be. I was expecting a long-running action story, to be honest, but I think I prefer the way it is.

Edit: omg Yin. Such a cute arc.

Theonik

Rabu Rabu 07
Production values were pretty low for an odd numbered episode.
Still It was very entertaining. If only the little brother had known the real Maki.
Makio also makes his triumphant return.

Narag

Turn A Gundam 21

Well, as far as I am concerned, this is officially one of the best series in the entire franchise. I'm completely in love with the rustic theme the music so often has, and the characters of Diana Soreil and Loran Cehak have me fully engaged.

I always make this distinction with Turn A in that it's not just a good Gundam show, it's good anime period despite franchise ties.

Railgun S - 18

This feels like a railgun/index start of an arc.
This feelign of "nothing's happenning while they try to subtly drop hints of what the arc is gonna do is typical.

It works ....... thanks to the very huge amount of friendship that was displayed in this episode.

Toaru_Kagaku_no_Railgun_S_-_18.jpg

i have a hard time deciding if uhiharu pouting was one of the highlights of this episode or not.

Anyway uhiharu is a hard working and honnest girl.. if you needed more confirmation, you got it, right there in this episode !

Jarmel

Banned
I always make this distinction with Turn A in that it's not just a good Gundam show, it's good anime period despite franchise ties.

Yea I definitely disagree on that. It has moments where it does something decent but it sure as hell doesn't do anything excellent. The politics stuff is background noise at best and is halfassed. They don't really delve into the war ramification stuff in an insightful manner. The animation is pisspoor at best. It's easily the worst looking Gundam show I've seen and somehow that includes Destiny. Music is meh, probably one of Kanno's weaker works. There is so much bullshit surrounding identities that it really cuts into the atmosphere. The characters themselves aren't that great either. Loran is fine but someone needs to stuff a sock in Sochie's mouth.

As always, it's still way too early for me to make a list for Fall.

--------------------------

According to previews, looks like Funimation is using the title Good Luck Girl for their release of Binbougami ga! in November.

Is that really what binbougami ga means?

o9mI9Y4l.jpg

Btw, this is going to be something. Regardless of whatever it is, hypedddddddd!

Sold, otp

Direct feed footage of the Pokémon: The Origin trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg

QG91wkX.jpg

kRJA3XS.jpg

tJUnEWi.jpg

Green is great, Red is kind of odd in some angles. I wish they started with Gold and Silver though from Special, thats like the best pkmn subfranchise manga portion (plot and PreciousMetalShipping)

This is truly an exciting year for pkmn. Please include some dragon pkmn in this special and a fairytype.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 25
Pop is basically the exact opposite of Doremi while still having some sisterly resemblance.
Their Ojamajo chant is very similar for example, their taste in magical goods is also similar but pop is a lot more competent generally. She'll grow to be a powerful witch one day.

This actually hasn't been a bad season of anime, surprisingly. I like a lot of the returning shows, and some of the new stuff like Watamote and Love Lab are pretty good too. I'm pretty pleased.

Syrinx

School Days 5

Hey. HEY. Hey Makoto, do you know who this motherfucker is up here? This is Arthur, King of Britain. You know what happened to him? His girl cheated on him with his bro, and you know what he did? Started a fucking war so fucking violent the goddamn POPE had to beg him to stop. And this is after he'd fucking conquered Rome, chopped off a giant's balls, slain a dragon and found the fucking Cup of Christ. And this dumb bastard still picked a fight with him by sleeping with his woman.

Maybe, and I know she's not a sword wielding pissed off Anglo who slays giants and dragons and witches for breakfast, but maybe, just MAYBE,
cheating on Katsura is going to have some serious fucking consequences here, kiddo. You want Sekai that bad? Break up with Katsura. People have started wars over this shit, man. You might think pretty little Katsura is too gentle to resist, but hey, Samson seemed perfectly harmless when they plowed his farm, till he brought that goddamn temple down on everyone's head.

Like, seriously, though, Makoto is manipulative in a way Lelouch wishes Geass could let him be. This is like the time I used cheat codes to make it so that both Visas and the Handmaiden fell in love with the Jedi Exile. Makoto's problem with Katsura isn't that she's high maintenance, its that she's low yield. He's totally okay with her when she's rubbing up against him, too, but she's just not as willing as Sekai. And while I don't think Sekai is as innocent as I could argue she is, something about the way he keeps silencing her when she's telling him "no" bothers me. No means yes is a bullshit bit and maybe I'm not familiar with good ol' fashioned tsundere ways, but this Makoto kid bugs me to no end.

And while fan service doesn't usually bug me, having two giant asses in the foreground of the frame is a bit much, I think.

Also fucking Sauron the Enemy of All Free Peoples went to the pool today. A joke about her being as flat as the sides of Barad Dur goes here.

Anyway, the point is, a tangled web just got wove, and I need to see some mother loving justice unfold here soon.

After this is done, we can probably retire the School Days recommendation thing, cause it ain't getting better than this.

Hmm. I'm really not impressed in the slightest. Guess you need to be a Pokefan for this to have any sort of effect on you.

Good for those who are into this, I suppose.

The trailer rely heavily on nostalgia.
Also you might not believe me , but even if there was nothing special , especially in term of animation , it's still MUCH better than before ( i haven't seen the current seasons but they seem to have improved several effects )

It's still bad if you compare it to other anime.

Vecks

Hmm. I'm really not impressed in the slightest. Guess you need to be a Pokefan for this to have any sort of effect on you.

Good for those who are into this, I suppose.

I doubt it's meant to be amazing, but all I really want is for it to be decent. The old one is just meant to be a bland kid's show. Low production values. There's no real overarching storyline. The main character never really gets any interesting pokemon, resets and uses random (mostly starter) pokemon every season, the same thing happens every episode, he never gets any better or makes any progress outside of getting badges. Whether you watch the first episode or the utmost latest, you aren't missing anything because hundreds of episodes later he still makes the same stupid mistakes, can't really win much of any competition and HE NEVER AGES.

I just want a show where there is actual progress and a possibility of an ending.

I doubt it's meant to be amazing, but all I really want is for it to be decent. The old one is just meant to be a bland kid's show. Low production values. There's no real overarching storyline. The main character never really gets any interesting pokemon, resets and uses random (mostly starter) pokemon every season, the same thing happens every episode, he never gets any better or makes any progress outside of getting badges. Whether you watch the first episode or the utmost latest, you aren't missing anything because hundreds of episodes later he still makes the same stupid mistakes, can't really win much of any competition and HE NEVER AGES.

I just want a show where there is actual progress and a possibility of an ending.
You nailed it..
Previous pokemon anime had no payoff and thats what made many people turned off by it

Gatchaman Crowds 6

As expected, the main conflict is a world without heroes that Rui is pursuing vs Gatchaman that represent that, heroes above everyone else. While it's a interesting social scenario, it's a bit silly because
normal people can't fight invisible aliens with superpowers, that's why Gatchaman exist in first place!
; Rui doesn't know that but we know, and then we see how all the issue is moot. Apart from that, the series is advancing slower than I thought, the tunnel situation from the past episode ended in a fizzle, not a boom, and all this episode all served for two talking scenes that mattered.

Blue Exorcist movie.
Pretty, but bland, uninteresting, with dumb characters and bad end.
I think is kind of funny in untended way how bad is the main character. The movie paints the basic story : The MC is an exorcist in training different to the others. While the others kill demons and that's it, that's the job, he tries to help people affected by demons, and really understand them and solve their issues in a more pacific way. Typical shounen trope, really. The movie establishes that in the first ten minutes.
Well, here the hero instead of doing his job properly of watching a demon, his typical carelessness, regular disobedience of superiors and overfriendly attitude (basically your typical shounen hero) causes a disaster of what I imagine should have thousands of deaths (though somehow no one mentions it). They are only saved by something even worse: a blatant Deux Ex Manchina, "time reset" included.

trejo

Prisma Ilya 6-

IF THIS IS WHAT SILVER LINK CAN DO, GIMME DAT UFOTABLE
That's actually giving me some Nanoha A's vibes. Show me some sweet beamspamz and I might jump back in!

Blue Exorcist movie.
Well, here the hero instead of doing his job properly of watching a demon, his typical carelessness, regular disobedience of superiors and overfriendly attitude (basically your typical shounen hero) causes a disaster of what I imagine should have thousands of deaths (though somehow no one mentions it).

If you're referring to
the initial ghost train incident then it is mentioned during Yukio's trial that there were only two casualties
and if you're referring to
the climax of the film then it's mentioned that instead of his usual memory manipulation Usamaro did some time and space shit and basically undid everything which is why no one mentions anything. Because there was nothing to mention.

vareon

009 Re:Cyborg

Not sure what to say here. How the hell did something that is so good for the first half turned into a mess for the later half?

Not to say I'm not enjoying it, though. The CG looked surprisingly good and music is godlike. The theme is far, far from what I expected, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. But I can imagine people being disappointed, mainly those expecting a traditional cyborgs-kicking-ass-with-kickass-scarfs movie.

Kiniro Mosaic 7

Sensei is weeeeird. Orgasmic state wearing a tracksuit, and apparently she also has dat ass/birthing hips according to the English. They better give us a good viewing opportunity.

Shino actually manages to score a 96 on the exams at the end! Better than Ayaya!

cajunator

Banned
All of the starters after Gen 3 are varying degrees of stupid-looking.

How many gens are there? I lost interest after the second.

Tokyo Mew Mew 3

Ichigo hates ghosts. Oh boy. And obviously we'll get our third PrecureAnimal Girl this episode, and I thought Lettuce was going to be 4th. She really looks like Komachi/Cure Mint.... except with glasses and doesn't look as stupid.

And... some random ass drama to boot. It's like... we knew she had some issues with the fuckers Retatsu or whatever was with... and then she randomly attacks them because her body is weird and she can't make friends. That was dumb. At the same time, WAY to go you douchebags, you fucked up a girls life that she didn't even want. You forced it on her.

Speaking of forced, there was onscreen kiss-rape by the enemy. She lost her first kiss. In comparison, kiss rape almost happened in Yes Precure 5! GoGo's movie, but it was a lot creepier.

Lettuce is a cutie. Love her. TMM is kinda weird overall. Its still a typical mahou shoujo though. Theres other weird shows like Shugo Chara, although that ones super adorable.

Gatchaman Crowds 6

Hajime makes Madoka and her Marus look like a character that stepped right out of Apocalypse Now. She is quite possibly the most genki super positive character that I've ever seen in fiction and makes all the characters from Aria look like bitter, cynical fucks.

And yet, somehow, I don't find her annoying or grating. If anything, her unyielding optimism that even Anne from the Green Gables could learn from is somehow endearing. It's not just that she's genki. It's that she's fucking swag with her genki. She's probably more positive than all the Precures and the Doremis and My Little Ponies and whatever other magical girl characters put together. lol

I looove genkis. Best kind of character. The kind of optimism I wish I could have all the time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou/Day Break Illusion Episode 7: Right, so we get some vauge portents about future developments and some plot shit happens way away off-screen, also a love triangle is developing out of nowhere, and OH MY GOD I AM SO BORED! SOMETHING FUCKING HAPPEN! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING! WHEN DID THIS TURN INTO AN EPISODE OF K-ON?? ARGH!

cajunator

Banned
Looking at hummingbird reccomendation list.

hummingbird-rec-1.jpg

Dunno whether I'll trust that. Seems I should be trying Higashi no Eden

Eden is good. Also Acchi Kocchi is feel good super sweet adorableness. Venus Vs Virus is an interesting recommendation.

Damn. I was just curious when the Hanasaku Iroha bluray comes out, so I checked the website. October. Awh...

Feels like I've been waiting for-bloody-ever for this.

Huh?

yami4ct

The new Mickey shorts feature great art direction, too. Wouldn't just praise the aural part!

That's the first one I've seen and I have to agree. Great balance between the old black and white designs and modern stuff. Nice use of color as well. Really enjoyed it. I'll have to check out some of the others now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom