• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 7 (Kabuki 1)

Araragi is our viewpoint character again, yay. Standard setup episode of course, though I was a bit surprised at
Yotsugi's
return. Shinobu and Ararararagi play too well off each other, and her continually trying to BS her way through the whole
time travel
thing was fun to watch.

Cliffhanger ending, next episode when, based Nisio based Shaft etc. etc.

CorvoSol

It always warms my heart when someone is enjoying Turn A Gundam.

Turning out to be quite the nice show. I'd like to see some more throw-downs by the Gundam, but I appreciated this episode nonetheless.

I always make this distinction with Turn A in that it's not just a good Gundam show, it's good anime period despite franchise ties.

I'm really taken with the character of Diana Soreil. Her character is progressing swimmingly, I think.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Free! 06
It is increasingly difficult to like this show. The over the top fanservice is tied not only to character's dispositions and actions, but also serves as the story core almost every scene is built around. There is this uncertain outcome to half the cast left in the ocean, but the show still brandishes this weird sexualized tone that always seems to take hold of the characters as well. It's one thing when the show is just kind of having fun, but another when the show switches gears to any other emotion. Everything about this episode just kind of felt hollow. The jokes lacked punchlines
(okay, the fridge is empty?)
, the dynamic between characters was understated and dull, and visually this episode felt very flat and boring.

If Free! was more over the top with fan service that came in bursts it might be kind of entertaining, but instead every second of the show seems dedicated to subtly romanticizing and sexualizing the characters. It's really just gross.

Free! 06
It is increasingly difficult to like this show. The over the top fanservice is tied not only to character's dispositions and actions, but also serves as the story core almost every scene is built around. There is this uncertain outcome to half the cast left in the ocean, but the show still brandishes this weird sexualized tone that always seems to take hold of the characters as well. It's one thing when the show is just kind of having fun, but another when the show switches gears to any other emotion. Everything about this episode just kind of felt hollow. The jokes lacked punchlines
(okay, the fridge is empty?)
, the dynamic between characters was understated and dull, and visually this episode felt very flat and boring.

If Free! was more over the top with fan service that came in bursts it might be kind of entertaining, but instead every second of the show seems dedicated to subtly romanticizing and sexualizing the characters. It's really just gross.

But the moments around the dice and harus story was so funny and fun. How was it and were they dull :(

Dynedom

ibhkyMbZxI6txZ.gif

That is one fine piece of automobile

Vecks

Gatcha 6

I thought this show was going to have a lot of superhero action. Boy, was I wrong. I suppose they could be getting ready for an action-packed latter half.

cajunator

Banned
I guess this is where I'm the blind guy who doesn't see why the show looks bad.

Maybe I'm blinded by Hajime and her awesomeness.

--
Speaking of which, this is something that did look weird:
abbHpkfl.jpg

I just see a terrible looking Mercedes.

School Days 5

Hey. HEY. Hey Makoto, do you know who this motherfucker is up here? This is Arthur, King of Britain. You know what happened to him? His girl cheated on him with his bro, and you know what he did? Started a fucking war so fucking violent the goddamn POPE had to beg him to stop. And this is after he'd fucking conquered Rome, chopped off a giant's balls, slain a dragon and found the fucking Cup of Christ. And this dumb bastard still picked a fight with him by sleeping with his woman.

Maybe, and I know she's not a sword wielding pissed off Anglo who slays giants and dragons and witches for breakfast, but maybe, just MAYBE,
cheating on Katsura is going to have some serious fucking consequences here, kiddo. You want Sekai that bad? Break up with Katsura. People have started wars over this shit, man. You might think pretty little Katsura is too gentle to resist, but hey, Samson seemed perfectly harmless when they plowed his farm, till he brought that goddamn temple down on everyone's head.

Like, seriously, though, Makoto is manipulative in a way Lelouch wishes Geass could let him be. This is like the time I used cheat codes to make it so that both Visas and the Handmaiden fell in love with the Jedi Exile. Makoto's problem with Katsura isn't that she's high maintenance, its that she's low yield. He's totally okay with her when she's rubbing up against him, too, but she's just not as willing as Sekai. And while I don't think Sekai is as innocent as I could argue she is, something about the way he keeps silencing her when she's telling him "no" bothers me. No means yes is a bullshit bit and maybe I'm not familiar with good ol' fashioned tsundere ways, but this Makoto kid bugs me to no end.

And while fan service doesn't usually bug me, having two giant asses in the foreground of the frame is a bit much, I think.

Also fucking Sauron the Enemy of All Free Peoples went to the pool today. A joke about her being as flat as the sides of Barad Dur goes here.

Anyway, the point is, a tangled web just got wove, and I need to see some mother loving justice unfold here soon.

I am fascinated by your impressions.

Gatchaman Crowds Episode 6: Not getting the hate for this show, or rather the ones to profess to hate this show have thus far lacked meaningful articulation into the accusations of mediocrity. Indeed I rather marveling in how this show has instead of devolving into dull monster of the week pablum that other shows are currently experiencing. It is a bit slow and meandering since Gatchaman Crowds has decided to be a critique and examination on the nature of social media. Also, I think we could solve the energy crisis if we manage to harness the sheer genki energy of Hajimi. Indeed I have figured out what makes her different for other hyperactive ballasts, she has insight and awareness of the surrounding narrative rather then just being a ditzy coldcuckoolander.

Some people say that about me too! I dont know where all my energy comes from!

Also wtf is THAT?

it's alright if you can get past the cg during dancing.

it's nothing special. I personnally know that i couldn't get into it only because at the time i was burned out on idol shows.

I like those terrible CG dancing sequences actually.

Oh and I was in Best Buy and picked up Haganai finally on a whim. Hope its good.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds 6

As expected, the main conflict is a world without heroes that Rui is pursuing vs Gatchaman that represent that, heroes above everyone else. While it's a interesting social scenario, it's a bit silly because
normal people can't fight invisible aliens with superpowers, that's why Gatchaman exist in first place!
; Rui doesn't know that but we know, and then we see how all the issue is moot. Apart from that, the series is advancing slower than I thought, the tunnel situation from the past episode ended in a fizzle, not a boom, and all this episode all served for two talking scenes that mattered.

I think that's where the balance is going to come in. Gatchaman is super specialized while GALAX is covering everything else. And for as much as Rui likes to bitch about heroes, he never does anything without putting his own uniform on and using his handpicked 100 that were worthy of more power than anyone else. I half suspect Hajime and Rui are going to have shared some common tragedy in the past and we're seeing divergent paths cross finally.

cajunator

Banned
After this is done, we can probably retire the School Days recommendation thing, cause it ain't getting better than this.

Yeah. Corvy Kun has a way with words that makes these so much fun to read. Love you raven!

Prisma Ilya 6-
iiGU9abaDdObv.gif

ibjq2ziVgRsMD3.gif

ibuaVF490rAh3e.gif

IF THIS IS WHAT SILVER LINK CAN DO, GIMME DAT UFOTABLE

I take this as a good thing. Not sure why people interpret it as something bad.

Yeah, good times.

excalibuuuuuuuri1zip.gif

I'm glad Prisma Ilya is turning out to be a fun watch though.

It really is. Was surprised by it.

Naruto Shippuden 325

Wasn't expecting them to expand on Roshi's capture. His lava coating looked really cool and a Kisame appearance is greatly appreciated.

Rest of the episode was solid. Bee's twister move was depicted well and Kakashi & Guy's hero moment (unlike One Piece) was actually good.

jbug617

Banned
Funimation put out some of their November releases.
Akira (DVD)
Akira (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Good Luck Girl (Binbogami-ga!): Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Good Luck Girl (Binbogami-ga!): Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE)
Hetalia - World Series: Complete Collection
Maken-ki: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Maken-ki: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE)
One Piece: Strong World (DVD)
One Piece: Strong World (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
Wolf Children (DVD)
Wolf Children (Blu-ray / DVD Combo)
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?23319-FUNimation-New-Title-Solicitations-(Nov-13)

Hows the artbook? My guilty crown seems to have shipped late.

Artbook is good. I wish they went with a hard cover though because seems like it's going to get damaged pretty easily.

Articalys

Whoever it is that still runs the official SOS-Dan Haruhi web site must be really bored -- to mark the occasion of the beginning of the Endless Eight loop, the site randomly got updated with a summer activities list.

http://www.haruhi.tv/

Of course it means absolutely nothing, but it's nice to see that someone still cares.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 22

I actually liked how they handled this episode. Watching them actually acknowledge the very real, and actually very likely, possibility that they will fail if they actually attempt to save Candy is not something I see very often. It was pretty refreshing to see them actually stop and reflect individually on what was important to them, on what they wanted to do instead of going in all "Ra-ra!".

I don't doubt that there will be significant deus ex machina/extremely convenient power discovery to help them win this battle or at least escape the Bad End Kingdom with Candy and revive the queen. But this on its own was a good episode imo.

Smile Precure 22

I actually liked how they handled this episode. Watching them actually acknowledge the very real, and actually very likely, possibility that they will fail if they actually attempt to save Candy is not something I see very often. It was pretty refreshing to see them actually stop and reflect individually on what was important to them, on what they wanted to do instead of going in all "Ra-ra!".

I don't doubt that there will be significant deus ex machina/extremely convenient power discovery to help them win this battle or at least escape the Bad End Kingdom with Candy and revive the queen. But this on its own was a good episode imo.

This episode also granted the franchise its first doom face. And be prepared for more.

Ojamajo Doremi 25

Pop is basically the exact opposite of Doremi while still having some sisterly resemblance.
Their Ojamajo chant is very similar for example, their taste in magical goods is also similar but pop is a lot more competent generally. She'll grow to be a powerful witch one day.

Dela is easy to manipulate. =(
I wished they did even more with Pop than they already did but she turns out
to be a convenient shopkeeper later
, then even later just getting some Pop episodes here and there
. =(

===========================================================

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 37

Yay! Poop for the win. \o/

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 38

mIgyvZg.jpg

Elephant Poop. So funny.
When you think Aiko's story will come full circle...
something happens...
;____;
Being Aiko is suffering...
at least she has the best of friends by her side

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 39

AendmiE.jpg

They I just don't want to drop the Poop theme.
The stories about the
former Queen
just don't work to well because they are so short, it could have been little foreshadows
to traits of the other grandchild in each one story.

I'm ready for episode 40! I expect great things from it.
Not because of Umakoshi, but because it's episode forty, and the last too were pretty nice...I don't remember if the first season one was nice, have to check it later.

Smile Precure 22

Ah joker is such a great character.
He should be paired with another bad guy in those all star movies :)
just for the fun of making them crawl in despair.

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 179

No that's not what a poet is.

Also Haruka and Michiru appear again after a hiatus! Means shit will happen soon.

This episode reminds us that Taiki was a stop having fun guy, because he hasn't laughed in a while, and has done so twice.

Monogatari Second Season - 07

It starts adapting very literally the novels, like always, so that means every little small talk blah blah blah. After the first two dialog scenes, it turns into something more interesting than the last arc. Mayoi, Shinobu, Araragi (these 3 I feel have lots of chemistry) and
time warp shenanigans?
Yes please.

yami4ct

I know I'm probably super late on this, but I need to point out (likely again) how shit this is.
Doctor Who "Anime"

Oh look big eyes and zero animation! I'm so anime!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

You mean Chris Hardwick's awful faux-geek nerdist network put out something terrible that completely misses the point? Why am I not surprised?

Syrinx

Smile Precure 23

Queen gets revived and grants them Pegasus who grants them new power. I liked their transformation into Princess Form. As far as the queen goes, if she's ever shown, I just hope she looks better than the CG abomination from Futari wa.

I hope that's not all we see of Pierrot; they kept talking about the great Pierrot's revival, then he was there for like 2 minutes before he was defeated again. That would be lame as shit if he was wiped out that quickly. I know Wolfrun appears again because of Kirbyguy's spoilertastic image, so I guess that means he'll return.

wsippel

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds Episode 6: Not getting the hate for this show, or rather the ones to profess to hate this show have thus far lacked meaningful articulation into the accusations of mediocrity. Indeed I rather marveling in how this show has instead of devolving into dull monster of the week pablum that other shows are currently experiencing. It is a bit slow and meandering since Gatchaman Crowds has decided to be a critique and examination on the nature of social media. Also, I think we could solve the energy crisis if we manage to harness the sheer genki energy of Hajimi. Indeed I have figured out what makes her different for other hyperactive ballasts, she has insight and awareness of the surrounding narrative rather then just being a ditzy coldcuckoolander.
I like the show as well, horrible production values aside, but Hajime is a complete mystery. I kinda get Tylor vibes from her, but not really.

Smile Precure 23

Queen gets revived and grants them Pegasus who grants them new power. I liked their transformation into Princess Form. As far as the queen goes, if she's ever shown, I just hope she looks better than the CG abomination from Futari wa.

I hope that's not all we see of Pierrot; they kept talking about the great Pierrot's revival, then he was there for like 2 minutes before he was defeated again. That would be lame as shit if he was wiped out that quickly. I know Wolfrun appears again because of Kirbyguy's spoilertastic image, so I guess that means he'll return.

You don't mean my avatar do you??

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 180

Haruka and Michiru are back due to having a live performance with the Threelights (and for other manners). The Inner Senshi made up a scenario for why Usagi was late. Ami had faith, but unfortunately, the scenario ultimately happened.

There was a lewd moment where Saint Seiya was going to be unsaintly, hitting on Michiru, who then said help her undress. Of course Haruka comes in and JEALOUSY!

We almost had a group hand shake to work together, but then we got a WARUDO SHAKING, now we don't understand each other again. Wait till the midseason climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom