• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 19: Okay, this can be boiled down pretty simply, when the focus was on the
Female Titan
chase things were good. When they decided to take a ten minute detour with a flashback that revealed a few interesting tidbits, but mostly retread the
Eren vs. Regular Human
dynamic that we already covered things got almost unbearably tedious. Next week looks rather keen though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm more interested in knowing what you didn't like about the animation. We can work out our differences from there! :)

I mostly didnt like how radical the last fight of the movie was compared to the other parts. I felt like I was watching the naruto vs pain fight, except the FMA fight was awesome.

cnet128

Banned
[Major AoT manga spoilers]
Well in that case one of the people in that image couldn't be a bride either.

It's fine if the Titan is in human form. It's when you insist on marrying the Titan form itself that problems ensue ~.~

Though cosmic's solution also works.

Kin'iro Mosaic 7

I was legitimately shocked that Shino
actually managed to get excellent marks on an English test.
Even if she did
make up for it with comically abysmal marks in Maths.

Most of the rest of the episode can be summed up as follows: Being Aya is adorable suffering.

Branduil

It doesn't have to be. RWBY has been legitimized as the future of anime.

iFCzkPOh2e9fM.jpg

Because she's wholly relatable, and the arc she undergoes is absolutely heartbreaking.
Struggling to come to terms with the fact that, despite your best efforts, some people are just better, really struck a chord with me.
Not everyone exists to solely be a waifu fantasy, though I'm sure she has her fans. Chitanda's personality, coupled with the way she ostensibly beguiles others -
which is examined with Irisu
, always irritated me somewhat.

You should know by now what kinds of characters cajunator likes, even beyond just by cuteness. He likes his characters energetic and enthusiastic, something Mayaka is definitely not.

MartyStu

I'm more interested in knowing what you didn't like about the animation. We can work out our differences from there! :)

I was okay with everything up until the final battle. There, I felt there to be a rather rough shift in style. I suppose the exaggerated approach could have been on purpose, but it is abrupt and out of place.

I am still more upset about the story though. Ugh.

duckroll

I was okay with everything up until the final battle. There, I felt there to be a rather rough shift in style. I suppose the exaggerated approach could have been on purpose, but it abrupt and out of place.

I am still more upset about the story though. Ugh.

I think the story at the end goes into shit too. Too many unnecessary twists, convoluted outcome, too convenient. The animation was really awesome though. I don't really think there's anything out of place about the animation style though. It's consistent with how the rest of the movie looks. The animation style of the film is very much a trademark of the animation director, where instead of having clear precise linework, everything is kinda loose and wobbly to allow animators to express maximum freedom in how characters move.

Syrinx

Haibane Renmei 1

Things were getting a little stagnant with my viewing, so I decided to start this on a bit of a whim because some people said it was good.

I liked it enough. The scene with her wings sprouting was pretty weird. I wager they aren't very functional.

I wonder how this show's going to balance Rakka becoming a part of this new world and society and her trying to investigate who she was in her past life and why she, along with everyone else, became a Haibane. The way Reki described it, the town where the Haibane live exists in the same universe as the rest of the world.

trejo

Is Attack on Titan good? Bad? Worth watching? I feel like being part of a minor cultural event that has other observers, for once, instead of just ferreting out brilliant obscure shit that, tragically, no one else will ever know about. It's a passing phase, I'm sure.

I don't think you'd enjoy it.

Shergal

I think the story at the end goes into shit too. Too many unnecessary twists, convoluted outcome, too convenient. The animation was really awesome though. I don't really think there's anything out of place about the animation style though. It's consistent with how the rest of the movie looks. The animation style of the film is very much a trademark of the animation director, where instead of having clear precise linework, everything is kinda loose and wobbly to allow animators to express maximum freedom in how characters move.

Indeed, Kenichi Konishi actually doesn't correct linework at all. It's his schtick as an AD, and what makes him one of the best in the industry; he is able to both instil his own personality in a work and leave the animator's essentially intact.

Here's an interesting tidbit on the production of Nobita's Dinosaur, for which he was AD:
Anipages said:
Konishi's focus was on filling out each moment of the film with richly nuanced realistic acting of a density that had never been seen before in the series [...] One of Konishi's strategies for doing this was to keep the line alive. Konishi actually used his corrections of key animators' drawings directly as inbetweens, and had the inbetweeners draw their inbetweens based on those drawings.

The takeaway from this is that Kaguyahime will be grand.

MartyStu

I will take your word for it.

I am too new to this to catch any nuances. Maybe if I can be arsed, I may re-watch it.

Shergal

Perhaps it's more satisfying to look at the animation in terms of the movement itself, rather than adherence to the models. Even then it's still very variable depending on the animator, but being uneven is not necessarily a bad thing if every bit is as good as any other.

Some of the stuff in Milos might be surprising at first though, but that's its charm.

sonicmj1

Indeed, Kenichi Konishi actually doesn't correct linework at all. It's his schtick as an AD, and what makes him one of the best in the industry; he is able to both instil his own personality in a work and leave the animator's essentially intact.

Here's an interesting tidbit on the production of Nobita's Dinosaur, for which he was AD:

The takeaway from this is that Kaguyahime will be grand.

If he's the animation director on Kaguyahime, that'd explain the linework in the trailer that ran before Kazetachinu.

That footage was pretty stunning, so I'm really looking forward to it.

wonzo

Banned
It's only a matter of time until novid adds Thundercats.

I do wonder where you draw the line. Just shows people confuse with actual anime? That line has already crossed with teen titans in the database.
lmao

It doesn't have to be. RWBY has been legitimized as the future of anime.
Never underestimate anime fans and their collectively bad taste.

Oh yay, Wolf Children in November!

Is Attack on Titan good? Bad? Worth watching? I feel like being part of a minor cultural event that has other observers, for once, instead of just ferreting out brilliant obscure shit that, tragically, no one else will ever know about. It's a passing phase, I'm sure.
You'd be much better off reading the manga tbqh.

cnet128

Banned

I'd say it's fundamentally good, but it has various issues that turn people off it to a greater or lesser extent. Most notably:

- The pacing (it gets pretty slow for a while in the middle of the series, though personally I don't think it's nearly as bad as some make it out to be, and certainly nowhere near as bad as almost any of the long-running shonen series)
- The production values (it's clear that the show's production has had nasty scheduling issues, resulting in many scenes being short on animation. ...And, as the post above demonstrates, occasional shots being reused if you look for them. Personally I think the presentation works nicely for the most part regardless, but some people are bothered by it)
- The direction (some take issue with the melodramatic way the show is presented and find it makes it hard to take things seriously. This also ties in to the pacing issues, since the show has a tendency to spend a fair amount of time showing people dramatically shouting about things before getting to the actual action.)
- The plot (there are certain plot points in the series that are divisive and people think it should have gone in a different direction)

Overall, though, I'd say it's worth watching. I think for all its issues, it's still fundamentally a good series and most people will be able to derive plenty of enjoyment from it. Even in the worst case scenario that you end up hating it, there's plenty of entertainment to be had from joining the discussions about its failings =p

...Then again, if all you're looking to do is pick up a show that lots of people are watching/discussing, I think most would agree that there are numerous better series airing that you could try out. Shingeki just happens to be the most high-profile for whatever reason.

It's a VICE Japan mini-documentary of sorts. I wouldn't link it if it was toxic!

I'm never going to South Korea!

Ojamajo Doremi 26

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 40

That was an episode 40, alright!
It had a different atmosphere from the rest of the show until now, it was real nice.
Even if I don't give much thought to music and can't really comment about it well(
not like I can comment about the rest well too.
),I felt it was used well here.

This was the first shot of the episode:
CQUNvTV.jpg

Choices! Symbolism everywhere!

It all starts when Doremi who has no clue about her future, and while ditching work she meets a retired witch named Mirai, who doesn't use magic anymore
and brings question that I thought the ojamajos wouldn't have to worry about, the same problem as the former Queen, how the time passes and they have to leave their loved ones behind because of their life span.
I'm sure there was a episode who ruled out the possibility
of them living for 300~X00 years, but like the magic frog curse it's pretty ambiguos what will happen to them when they turn into witches
. Even though the first sign is at a crossroad and we are presented to it every time she goes to Mirai's place, it's not the only one Doremi finds in her way there,
meaning she made the right choices to meet her

The episode focused on the passage of time, making an analogy with the movement of glass( There was a lot of "glass" shots, there were ones who worked and some that didn't, I think it's because the year this was made.),
showing the difference from how the time passes for witches and humans...and some stealth advice for Doremi? To be more like the glass that shifts slowly, at his own pace, little by little and that witches can see her movement even if it takes thousand of years.

And watching Mirai-san, is like seeing through the looking glass for Doremi, and she doesn't bring any answers for Doremi, just more questions to "bother" her and make her think, what turning into a witch means and the decisions she may have to take some day...and the good thing about this, is that Doremi herself wants to understand what Mirai said to her someday. =D

eQ3oRxf.jpg

Symbolism.

After I finished I went to look at the people responsible by this episode, and look who I find as the Episode Director, no other than Mamoru Hosoda, and he brought with him Tomoyo Harada, as the VA of Mirai who gives some guidance to Doremi, like she did in TokiKake as Makoto's aunt. Everything makes sense now.

Looking foward to episode 49.

381px-Akeno_blushing.jpg

Blessed Akeno

Highschool DxD New 6

Blue hair joined the club. Will be stoked if/when she joins the harem.

Kiba and Issei had some pretty good moments during the battle. Though, both were pretty much upstaged when the other guy and his dragon appeared wearing his badass suit. Issei is going to need some power ups before even trying to fight him.

Oh yay, Wolf Children in November!

If you want a currently airing show, watch Uchouten Kazoku instead. Not as popular as Titan, but it's got its fair share of viewers around here.

If he's the animation director on Kaguyahime, that'd explain the linework in the trailer that ran before Kazetachinu.

That footage was pretty stunning, so I'm really looking forward to it.

He is. The style is sort of similar to what Konishi and Takahata used on My Neighbors the Yamadas, only even more striking due to the traditional Japanese art flair. It's going to be amazing.

Nafe

You are a treasure, Nafe. FWIW I do sort of vaguely remember reading this post, but I think I refrained from commenting because I wanted to rewatch the film so as to help you out with answering some of those questions...which, frankly, have me stumped, as I sort of barely understood the plot contours of the film, having no familiarity with the E. European legends upon which it is based. It is mostly an audiovisual marvel for me.

Haha, that's okay. I think I'm more just happy that you read the post in general. I wonder if this will inspire any others to take a look at it now?

There were some others such as Jan Švankmajer's 1988 stop motion film of Alice, which I also watched and commented on. While maybe still obscure it seems that at least a few people have seen that film here.

Through your efforts(and others such as Jexhius) at least Angel's Egg is fairly well known and received around here. I think Night on the Galactic Railroad might be as well?

yami4ct

Amen to that.

These are just stills and the brush-stroke is already mind boggling.

Excite.

Gorgeous. All this hype right now makes me worried they won't pull it off, but even if the story doesn't work out the animation alone will be worth the price of admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom