• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Hype doesn't retroactively make a production worse (or better).

I find the more hype going in, the more likely something is to not really hit it out of the park. That's to be expected though. Managing expectations is the hard part. Like I said, that animation alone is going to make whatever comes out of this production worthwhile.

cnet128

Banned
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 7

And into another arc we go! Possibly the last arc we'll be seeing in this adaptation, judging solely from the fact that I think we've now seen all the characters and locales featured in the OP. Then again, it would have to be twice as long as the previous two arcs for that to be the case, so maybe not.

This show is nothing if not unpredictable, and this new setting seems distinctly more lighthearted in tone than what we've seen in the previous two arcs. Mostly due to the fact that...well, it's a school, which means lots of youthful characters (living characters, no less!) and, well, antics. Not much mulling over the meaning of death to be found here (yet, at least). Not to mention that all the new characters have special abilities, which naturally brings to mind the likes of various shonen action shows. We even spend a fairly large portion of this episode in the baths with a group of girls dressed in nothing but towels. Fanservice ahoy!

...Of course, everything is relative, and a lighthearted setting by this series' standards is still pretty grim by any reasonable standards. Even aside from the depressing thought that the very concept of a school is on the verge of dying out in this world thanks to no more children being born, this school...isn't exactly a normal one. All the students here
have been essentially kidnapped, and are held prisoner in the school against their will, possibly indefinitely. It looks like they're even forced to do hard labour in lieu of ordinary lessons. And then there's the woman in charge, who never seems to hesitate to point a gun at the students.
The fact that Ai manages to stay unfailingly happy and positive in such an environment is testament to her adorableness strength of character, but I guess that's nothing new.

Like every setting in this series, the school is gorgeous and atmospheric, with an ominous clock tower as the highlight and centrepiece (it doesn't even bother me that all the gears are clearly CG!) But the atmosphere certainly isn't as heavy as the overwhelmingly dark and subdued city of the previous arc, which makes for a pleasant change.

And unlike the previous arc, where the main plot took a while to take hold, this time around we have a clear objective right from the start:
to escape from this prison of a school.
And there's already a good deal of progress being made towards that goal, with
an underground passage out of the school uncovered and waiting to be used.
But it wouldn't feel like Kaminai if things were too straightforward, so there are still some mysterious elements hanging about, most notably
an enigmatic girl (well, as enigmatic as you can get when you're voiced by Kitamura Eri doing her Sayaka/Araragi Karen voice) who walks through walls, calls herself both a witch and a ghost, and is apparently prone to giving people subliminal suggestions...oh, and stalking Ai. Well, that last part is understandable. Who wouldn't want to stalk Ai?

In short, I'm liking what I see here. More, please!

CorvoSol

School Days 6

Basically at this point I think everything has to be spoilered, right? RIGHT.

Why they playing such dramatic slasher violin music for a ball of yarn? Well, I think we all KNOW why, but still, if you didn't this would be some weird directing. Anyway, Makoto hasn't the sense God gave him, it seems, what with the boy choosing all of the least stealthy places to fuck like, ever. I'm pretty sure you can choose a more covert place than you know, the most likely places to get caught ever.

Meanwhile, they really twist the knife into Katsura in this episode, the girl growing more confidant, sociable, and sweet as the episode continues, only for her to gain The Power of Love to tell bully-tan to shove it up her ass ten seconds before discovering that her Power of Love is mislead.

Makoto can barely be bothered to even FAKE being Katsura's boyfriend, too, what with basically spitting on her as she tripped and fell and dropped her knitting. It makes you just kinda want to scream at the kid "WHY DON'T YOU DUMP HER THEN?" I mean, if you're not into her at all, why don't you just dump the poor girl? Yeah, it's a dick move, but it's a hell of a lot less terrible than cheating on her behind her back.

And at this point, whatever innocence I might have said Sekai had in this matter is forever gone. I mean, not only is this girl continuing the affair, knowing it is wrong (one might plead that in Itou's case, he's not entirely sane), but she's also encouraging Makoto to keep the farce going. Oh, sure, at one point she tries to get him to tell Katsura, but she promptly discards the opportunity herself, and while one could argue that Makoto's emotional abuse is in effect hear, where knowing that going against his will would anger him and that'd leave Sekai without friends and without a squeeze, HOWEVER! The girl has repeatedly told Makoto he's Katsura's boyfriend and tried to get him to carry on with that number rather than break up with her out and out, has invited and encouraged all of Makoto's negative behaviors every last step of the way, and most importantly, has begun telling select people that she, and not Katsura, is Makoto's girlfriend. For all that Makoto is a slimy, manipulative son of a bitch, Sekai is the true architect and mastermind of this entire scenario. Makoto might be the evil bastard who's willing to drop the Affairtomic Bomb, but Sekai is the mad scientist who invented it.

And of course, Otome, who wishes for ten seconds she was anywhere near the level of Nanami Kiryuu's A-Game, has planned the bitchiest of high school plans for poor little Katsura. Basically, though, everyone in this entire school is fucking lucky as all hell that Kotohona Katsura wasn't born Jean Grey.

Let me tell you how THAT story played out.

55CgjOg.jpg

This man is Scott Summers. Like any red-blooded man since Adam Fell or Apes Walked Upright, Scott's two goals in life were Justice and Booty. The booty he spent his life chasing was this woman:

TusBt4w.jpg

Don't think ill of her, the 90s were a bad time for Super Hero fashion.

Jean Grey. Jean and Scott eventually got together, and seemed like the perfect couple, right? I mean, it was almost as great as Mary Jane and Peter Parker, Tony Stark and Pepper Potts, Charles Xavier and Moira McTaggert, and so on. The point is, Jean and Scott hooked up, and Jean was very happy with Scott.

Then Scott met this woman:

zIGvolE.jpg

Literally the least revealing outfit I could find a picture of her in.

Emma Frost. Emma had a lot in common with Jean. She was a psychic, she was a strong, independent, free-spirited woman, and she could kick some serious ass.
She was also one of a three-man team responsible for tormenting Jean to the point of cosmic insanity.
So Scott, like any reasonably amoral defender of truth, justice, and the American Way, came to her for "help" with his "lady problems" which of course wound up "a little more than helpful."

zV83XRG.jpg

I apologize if this spoils Grant Morrison's X-Men run from the turn of the century for anyone, but since basically everything he did SINCE then, aside from this has been retconned six times, I don't care.
xy2CMOx.jpg

Cheating on one of the most powerful and feared telepaths in the known universe was probably not the smartest choice Scott Summers ever made.

As you might have guessed, Jean didn't exactly take it well. You know how well she didn't take it?

XCXNpPq.jpg

I mean if that looks like a good reaction to you, then there's that.

Jean freaked out pretty hard. Now, I'm not saying Katsura Kotohona is a sun-eating, psychic angel of death and goddess of destruction, whose power was called nigh unto the Creator's by some of the most authoritative sources on the subject in the multiverse, but maybe, just maybe
Makoto cheating on Katsura with Sekai is going to have some serious fucking consequences here.

Just a hunch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
School Days 6

Basically at this point I think everything has to be spoilered, right? RIGHT.

Why they playing such dramatic slasher violin music for a ball of yarn? Well, I think we all KNOW why, but still, if you didn't this would be some weird directing. Anyway, Makoto hasn't the sense God gave him, it seems, what with the boy choosing all of the least stealthy places to fuck like, ever. I'm pretty sure you can choose a more covert place than you know, the most likely places to get caught ever.

Meanwhile, they really twist the knife into Katsura in this episode, the girl growing more confidant, sociable, and sweet as the episode continues, only for her to gain The Power of Love to tell bully-tan to shove it up her ass ten seconds before discovering that her Power of Love is mislead.

Makoto can barely be bothered to even FAKE being Katsura's boyfriend, too, what with basically spitting on her as she tripped and fell and dropped her knitting. It makes you just kinda want to scream at the kid "WHY DON'T YOU DUMP HER THEN?" I mean, if you're not into her at all, why don't you just dump the poor girl? Yeah, it's a dick move, but it's a hell of a lot less terrible than cheating on her behind her back.

And at this point, whatever innocence I might have said Sekai had in this matter is forever gone. I mean, not only is this girl continuing the affair, knowing it is wrong (one might plead that in Itou's case, he's not entirely sane), but she's also encouraging Makoto to keep the farce going. Oh, sure, at one point she tries to get him to tell Katsura, but she promptly discards the opportunity herself, and while one could argue that Makoto's emotional abuse is in effect hear, where knowing that going against his will would anger him and that'd leave Sekai without friends and without a squeeze, HOWEVER! The girl has repeatedly told Makoto he's Katsura's boyfriend and tried to get him to carry on with that number rather than break up with her out and out, has invited and encouraged all of Makoto's negative behaviors every last step of the way, and most importantly, has begun telling select people that she, and not Katsura, is Makoto's girlfriend. For all that Makoto is a slimy, manipulative son of a bitch, Sekai is the true architect and mastermind of this entire scenario. Makoto might be the evil bastard who's willing to drop the Affairtomic Bomb, but Sekai is the mad scientist who invented it.

And of course, Otome, who wishes for ten seconds she was anywhere near the level of Nanami Kiryuu's A-Game, has planned the bitchiest of high school plans for poor little Katsura. Basically, though, everyone in this entire school is fucking lucky as all hell that Kotohona Katsura wasn't born Jean Grey.

Let me tell you how THAT story played out.

This man is Scott Summers. Like any red-blooded man since Adam Fell or Apes Walked Upright, Scott's two goals in life were Justice and Booty. The booty he spent his life chasing was this woman:

Jean Grey. Jean and Scott eventually got together, and seemed like the perfect couple, right? I mean, it was almost as great as Mary Jane and Peter Parker, Tony Stark and Pepper Potts, Charles Xavier and Moira McTaggert, and so on. The point is, Jean and Scott hooked up, and Jean was very happy with Scott.

Then Scott met this woman:

Emma Frost. Emma had a lot in common with Jean. She was a psychic, she was a strong, independent, free-spirited woman, and she could kick some serious ass.
She was also one of a three-man team responsible for tormenting Jean to the point of cosmic insanity.
So Scott, like any reasonably amoral defender of truth, justice, and the American Way, came to her for "help" with his "lady problems" which of course wound up "a little more than helpful."

As you might have guessed, Jean didn't exactly take it well. You know how well she didn't take it?

Jean freaked out pretty hard. Now, I'm not saying Katsura Kotohona is a sun-eating, psychic angel of death and goddess of destruction, whose power was called nigh unto the Creator's by some of the most authoritative sources on the subject in the multiverse, but maybe, just maybe
Makoto cheating on Katsura with Sekai is going to have some serious fucking consequences here.

Just a hunch.

I like this whole analogy going on here

yami4ct

I enjoyed the friendships, music, and the length. 13 episodes was pretty good for something like that

Mix of music and action: Look to Wantanabe's other stuff. Most have seen it, but still worth suggesting Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. If you like mecha, Eureka 7 does a great job mixing the music in with animation.

On the friendship side, I'd suggest Tsuritama. It's a great little show focused on a small group of friends and fishing. Beautifully animated as well. If you're willing to look at films, I feel like all of Hosada's work captures a similar sort of nostalgic tone as KotS. Wolf Children, Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt through Time are all amazing films worth checking out. Wolf Children and GWLtT are probably closer to walk you're looking for. Summer Wars is more of an action flick.

Shergal

I see that your skills in writing these impressions have improved and are much more sophisticated now, Corvo. Though the mad screaming of R2's finale was pretty rad too.

CorvoSol

corvo is god, god is corvo

God is Oranges.

I see that your skills in writing these impressions have improved and are much more sophisticated now, Corvo. Though the mad screaming of R2's finale was pretty rad too.

I can write fancy when I feel like it. So far, though, nothing in School Days has me shouting the way R2 did. Now, if you'd seen me today when I got to Prison Island in Xenoblade, that'd be something different.

Narag

Very nice, Corvo.

I apologize if this spoils Grant Morrison's X-Men run from the turn of the century for anyone, but since basically everything he did SINCE then, aside from this has been retconned six times, I don't care.

If anything, I'd hope it'd get people to read it. His run was some of the most satisfying comic reading I'd ever had.

CorvoSol

Corvo summaries are always the best.

I like this whole analogy going on here

I bow to you and your superlative impression-writing skills.

Corvo...that was so beautiful. Well done.

86FBoA5.gif

Good lord man. At this rate you're gonna need two posts by the last episode. :|

Yeah, it's getting p. ridiculous.

Noted, though I don't really think I'll go two full posts.

Branduil

I enjoyed the friendships, music, and the length. 13 episodes was pretty good for something like that

Tsuritama is good for a depiction of friendship. Might also want to check out Black Rock Shooter OVA, Haibane Renmei, Time of Eve, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, or Hanasaku Iroha.

CorvoSol

Very nice, Corvo.
If anything, I'd hope it'd get people to read it. His run was some of the most satisfying comic reading I'd ever had.

I think it was about the last time I read X-Men Comics, though, since
he killed off Jean, and she's been dead ever since, and Jean is my favorite Marvel character.
But yeah, Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men was great. The retcons that came after weren't, and I'm not entirely a fan of
having Jean psychically encourage Scott to hook up with Emma over her gravestone
, but Here Comes Tomorrow was awesome enough to make up for it.

Ooh, that does sound like something I would like to hear your impressions of.

It was largely just me shouting "OH MY GOSH" at the TV screen and figuring out XENOBLADE CHRONICLES SPOILERS!
That Fiora was the female faced Mechon
before the game flat out told me so.

Jigolo

Mix of music and action: Look to Wantanabe's other stuff. Most have seen it, but still worth suggesting Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. If you like mecha, Eureka 7 does a great job mixing the music in with animation.

On the friendship side, I'd suggest Tsuritama. It's a great little show focused on a small group of friends and fishing. Beautifully animated as well. If you're willing to look at films, I feel like all of Hosada's work captures a similar sort of nostalgic tone as KotS. Wolf Children, Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt through Time are all amazing films worth checking out. Wolf Children and GWLtT are probably closer to walk you're looking for. Summer Wars is more of an action flick.

Thanks for the suggestions, dude. The reason I even checked this anime out was because I read Watanabe directed it. I love all his stuff and have watched SC and CB. Definitely going to check out Eureka 7 and Tsuritama. Just caught a glimpse of the animation and damn, those colors. It looks amazing

Never heard of Hosoda or those movies but I'll be sure to take a look at it

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 22

Doremi and company are now magic-broke, and Majo Ruka just keeps on selling her cursed magic goods like crazy. Things aren't looking good for the witch apprentices. What might be the worst thing is that they're gonna have a real hard time getting to the Witch Kingdom now, where they could maybe report what Majo Ruka is doing or...something. For now, they're pretty much stuck.

Branduil

Haibane Renmei 1

Things were getting a little stagnant with my viewing, so I decided to start this on a bit of a whim because some people said it was good.

I liked it enough. The scene with her wings sprouting was pretty weird. I wager they aren't very functional.

I wonder how this show's going to balance Rakka becoming a part of this new world and society and her trying to investigate who she was in her past life and why she, along with everyone else, became a Haibane. The way Reki described it, the town where the Haibane live exists in the same universe as the rest of the world.

You're in for a great experience.

CorvoSol

...that was a tweest?

@_@

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES SPOILERS AHOY!

Well considering that
she was supposed to be dead
and there was only the slightest indications that
Faced Mechons had human beings inside of them
at that point in the plot anyway, I'd say it was. The whole of Prison Island was pretty awesome, I thought.

Articalys

So what is all this I'm hearing now about Sawano being extremely likely to be the one composing the soundtrack for Kill la Kill? Something to do with a picture of the OST recording posted to the official KLK Twitter compared to a picture of a recording studio from Sawano's own account?

Haibane Renmei 1

Things were getting a little stagnant with my viewing, so I decided to start this on a bit of a whim because some people said it was good.

I liked it enough. The scene with her wings sprouting was pretty weird. I wager they aren't very functional.

It's more a marker of her as a Haibane than anything else.

I wonder how this show's going to balance Rakka becoming a part of this new world and society and her trying to investigate who she was in her past life and why she, along with everyone else, became a Haibane. The way Reki described it, the town where the Haibane live exists in the same universe as the rest of the world.

I find the show balances that pretty well. It doesn't explain everything about either the world or Rakka's past, but it explores them enough to be satisfying.

So what is all this I'm hearing now about Sawano being extremely likely to be the one composing the soundtrack for Kill la Kill? Something to do with a picture of the OST recording posted to the official KLK Twitter compared to a picture of a recording studio from Sawano's own account?

I think it was also that Sawano said he's revealing the new show he's working on in September and the Kill la Kill composer is getting revealed in September.

Well considering that
at that point in the plot anyway, I'd say it was. The whole of Prison Island was pretty awesome, I thought.

And it was after this point in the game where things started to get really interesting.

That game has one of the best endings in a video game IMO.

Jintor

Well considering that

Maybe it was because I played Xenoblade over the course of months, but I had figured all that out way earlier than that iirc

Duckroll on suicide watch.

Branduil

RIP duckroll.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 41

Hard questions being asked all around to Pop-chan, like "Are you too really sisters?" and
what will Pop do when she turns into a witch, since this is her level 1 exam, and she can became a witch before everyone, but is this what she really wants?
But she's nothing without her Onee-chan
leading the way
, felt like I was watching Space Brothers.
Why are episodes about these sisters so good?

yami4ct

Wait, that's the Gundam Unicorn and Attack on Titan guy, right? My lack of anime knowledge keeps me from painting a good picture of his work in my head. Never dug AoTs stuff, but Unicorn works for me. Not sure if I want that in something like KLK. Will have to hear it first.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Well considering that
i heard xenoblade and came in instantly

sawano's been rather busy, he's also working on monolithsoft's "x" soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom