• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

There is a lot more wrong with the show than just the pandering. Anime GAF didn't really hate the show as it was airing. Even episode 4 was viewed as being decent or at least better than the preceding episodes. If Toonami GAF wants to complain about it then they have reason to.

The self-insert bullshit with kirito is by far the most painful element

Branduil

Please no. Anime is already an embarrassing hobby at times. Watch that show go mainstream and I have to hear about the piece of shit show any time I mention I'm an anime fan.

I wasn't being serious.

Of course it's not like the second half of
SAO
is any better, LOL.

Narag

Since I'm more or less marathoning the rest of School Days tonight, do I need to see the two OVAs to get the full experience? If yes, at what point in the series do I need to stop and watch them?

No, one is based on the games and will spoil stuff. The other is this amusing send up of magical girl stuff.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
All of the western series that Hummingbird now considers "anime-influenced":

Some questionable inclusions and a couple of omissions (where's Totally Spies?!?!?) but it's mostly what I expected to see.

Why does Megas have two different entries, that's fucking dumb.

EDIT: Hell, they're all like that? Why. WHY Hummingbird.

Lucentto

Banned
Oreimo Season 2 14-16

Well then, this was one of the most absolutely unpleasant things I have ever decided to watch. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. I got hit with a waive of shit and garbage. I curse myself, that I decided to watch this piece of shit series all the way through. Fuck me, and fuck this show. I will never get back the time I wasted watching this pile of shit, fuck. Now I am just going to drown beer and play Dragon's Crown all night, praying I forget this pile of fuck and shit.

Narag

Oreimo Season 2 14-16

Well then, this was one of the most absolutely unpleasant things I have ever decided to watch. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. I got hit with a waive of shit and garbage. I curse myself, that I decided to watch this piece of shit series all the way through. Fuck me, and fuck this show. I will never get back the time I wasted watching this pile of shit, fuck. Now I am just going to drown beer and play Dragon's Crown all night, praying I forget this pile of fuck and shit.

This makes me wish I was all caught up.

Jintor

Oreimo Season 2 14-16

I'm glad you watched this so I don't have to

Jarmel

Banned
Oreimo Season 2 14-16

So I guess I have to catch up tomorrow.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oreimo Season 2 14-16

yup yup I know what I'm doing this week.

wonzo

Banned
People like Manami? I couldn't stand her.
Kirino is best girl. Incest is true ending to life
No.

Oreimo Season 2 14-16

Welcome to the future of anime. Chasing that panderbait LN incest $$$$

The population boost Japan doesn't need right now, but the one it deserves.

I believe the answer you were looking for was...yes.

Oreimo Season 2 14-16

So much anger. You should of embraced and enjoyed.

Quasar

Oreimo Season 2 14-16

After watching where S2 went and being spoiled on the last LN I had no plans to ever watch them. But with the CR promotion I caved and took a look. Skimmed part one, and watched part three.

I'm still shaking my head at that epilogue.

So...Manami did not go through with exposing the relationship to their parents?

And then there's the whole...lets have a romantic relationship till graduation and then go back to a normal relationship?

The mind boggles.

Kinds of makes me now want an epilogue to the epilogue. Does he attempt to crawl back to Manami/Ruri/Ayase? Does he attempt to get Kirino to back down on the deal? How the hell does that impact the family relationships? Does he just end a recluse with only his eroge for company?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Day Break Illusion 7

Uh oh. A whole episode where everyone's happy and shit, leading into an ominous portent for the future? Yep, shit's gonna go down soon.

:(

After watching where S2 went and being spoiled on the last LN I had no plans to ever watch them. But with the CR promotion I caved and took a look. Skimmed part one, and watched part three.

I'm still shaking my head at that epilogue.

So...Manami did not go through with exposing the relationship to their parents?

And then there's the whole...lets have a romantic relationship till graduation and then go back to a normal relationship?

The mind boggles.

Which basically meant
He burnt so many bridges with the potential waifus, and avertly also made Kirino burn bridges with everyone else and they won't even get married

No, it wasn't.

l6ejXq4.gif

CorvoSol

School Days 9

QZrFMDi.gif

At last, it truly begins.

Our episode begins where the previous one left off, with Katsura confronting Setsuna about her kissing Makoto while he's asleep. It's typical harem level bullshit that would be utterly harmless were it not for the fact that Katsura's already had way too much of this bullshit anyway, and this girl is just making things worse. Really, though, the scene is just missing the heavy accents, Antonio Banderas, an evil twin and a fake mustache to be something straight from a Tele Novella.

This episode's set up is basically the old Archie, Betty and Veronica special. That is to say, Archie (Makoto) is stuck choosing between one of a myriad of irate love interests to take to the magical bullshit every-fucking-school-in-Japan-has-one-all-your-wildest-dreams-come-true-social-event-thing. Because Makoto cannot say no when a girl flashes even the slightest leg or cleavage, he's got himself a three way tie. Of course, Makoto wishes he could pull things off the way Archie does.

UsG0g89.jpg

Frankly, I've always preferred Cheryl Blossom to either of them.

The episode's humorous high-water mark, if you can call it that, is Saionji kneeing an excessively grabby Makoto in the groin (like legit, this guy lives for grabass). Since I've been suspecting since last episode that Saionji is actually pregnant with Makoto's kid, and that's why she didn't come to school the other day, I daresay that Makoto won't exactly be needing those parts anymore, anyway.

Of course the real climax of the episode comes when Makoto does, if you will pardon the pun. Otome's bitch squad has been hounding Katsura for episodes now about whether or not she's actually going out with Makoto, and now, while Otome fucks Makoto no more than twenty feet at most from Katsura, Otome's own bitches realize that they've pushed too far, and walk away from the girl.

This raises an interesting question, I think. If someone has cheated once, does that actually mean they're likely to cheat again? Or is this just something we tell ourselves? I mean, obviously it goes on a case by case basis, but it is still worth wondering if this episode doesn't portray things, I don't know, a bit too cliche? Note that I'm not saying it is inconsistent; it certainly fits with the character's established behaviors, only that I wonder if this is really a thing or not.

Whatever the case, once he's done fucking her, Makoto ditches Otome for Saionji, who he takes to the dance. Katsura, who'd already extracted this promise from him, is devastated to hear it from his friend's lips. The guy confesses his love to her, but she can hardly hear him.

QFEOLDm.jpg

Basically the whole speech in one go.

The most terrifying part of it, though, is that Katsura does not react to his touch at all. The girl just stares and stares and stares. Makoto's done such a number on her emotions, and her understanding of physical contact and the phrase "I love you!" that she literally cannot react to it anymore. This poor kid has been through hell ever since she started dating Makoto, and none of it is her fault.

QPYR9Ph.jpg

This is basically the look on her face when
she finds out Makoto went to the goddamn dance with Saionji.

Understand, though, that I don't think that Katsura is perfect or without flaw, though. Her refusal to let go of Makoto, especially after it became painfully clear that he was cheating on her, is her true flaw. I could say it was her faith in the kindness of others, as that'd apply to her relationship with Sekai as well, however that's romanticizing things a bit much. Katsura is refusing to accept the truth, and her stubborn denial has most certainly played a pivotal, if tragic, role in landing her in this situation.

EDIT: Hitokage's quip about shaved ice reminds me:

EsK2NJG.png

Do you know? Do you know?

Setsuna attends a play in this episode that serves a comparable, if not entirely similar purpose to the Shadow Play toward the end of Utena. All full of guilt and foreboding. Of course if Setsuna turns out to have bottled up emotions riding on this, too, there could be further comparisons. As this one was full of broken medieval English and a lot of phony flower symbolism, though, I will spare you further details.

Quasar

Which basically meant
He burnt so many bridges with the potential waifus, and avertly also made Kirino burn bridges with everyone else and they won't even get married

Which is why I kind of want an epilogue to this. A 5 or 10 years later thing. Even if its just in print.

sagat2036

FUCK Oreimo... dropped that shit when 12 was spoiled! I did check final episode on crunchyroll to confirm and man i couldnt do it. Made me cringe like i was watching some russian dashcams on liveleak. Really liked the show too. Seems like author forced an end and chose to go out with a bang. 2 season of material seems short for light novel.

Oh well Love lab 7 had me fallin out of my chair heh.

Theonik

I'm never going to South Korea!
To be fair from the documentary, not many modern Koreans even know of these traditions let alone still practice them.

What the shit?
*Kappa*

She'll never get married ;3;

Why does Megas have two different entries, that's fucking dumb.

EDIT: Hell, they're all like that? Why. WHY Hummingbird.
They are probably trying to keep it consistent with how split cours = new show with anime.

Oreimo 14-15

One of my housemates just asked if I'm alright. Apparently my face when watching this made it look like something bad was happening to me. I'm not sure that's entirely inaccurate.

Jintor

It's weird. I feel kind of angry about OreImo even though I've never watched the show and have no attachment to it whatsoever beyond thinking the character designs and general artstyle look kind of interesting.

Honestly, looking at it again after a while, it artstyle and character designs (well mainly Kyousuke) bother me. I don't know why, but I guess it's now because it pains me to look at anything from it. I literally can't enjoy anything anymore that is associated with Oreimo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom