• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think parents are banning enough nowadays. I mean just look at half of the COD community!

Are parents banning Pokemon more than they are banning COD? That's a really scary fact if true.

cajunator

Banned
My school/parents never banned anything. Awesome childhood yaaay

Same. I was never barred from enjoying anything. Whatever I was into or whatever I liked to do was ok as long as I didnt hurt anybody or break anything.

That's a good opinion to have. I don't know about you guys, but i'd be too embarrassed to talk about the stuff i watch with friends/coworkers irl. Online peeps are the only ones i can talk with about anime.

My friends love anime, but my coworkers are only mildly curios about it so I showed them a video of Fate Zero. That seemed to be enough to satisfy their interest and they dont really discuss it. But they know I love it. I also eat bugs at work and wear a hoodie all the time so they already think Im a bit odd so anime is just another quirk as far as theyre concerned.

My parents were as liberal as they get probably.

I killed a great many hookers in GTA in place of my brethren who were never given the opportunity.

That's a good opinion to have. I don't know about you guys, but i'd be too embarrassed to talk about the stuff i watch with friends/coworkers irl. Online peeps are the only ones i can talk with about anime.

Honestly I talk about whatever with whoever if it fits the convo. It's never been weird, but it's not like I'm trying to sell them on Oreimo or anything.

cajunator

Banned
My parents were as liberal as they get probably.

I killed a great many hookers in GTA in place of my brethren who were never given the opportunity.

Honestly I talk about whatever with whoever if it fits the convo. It's never been weird, but it's not like I'm trying to sell them on Oreimo or anything.

Ive always hated Grand Theft auto. The top down ones were alright but it got really stupid.
I dont really have fun playing it at all.

Tenumi

Banned
The only thing my parents banned was Harry Potter books, and by banned, I mean my best friend was reading one, I wanted to as well, parents reluctant, buy first book but Mom reads it as well, Mom gets addicted on series.

Oh, and I guess GTA4. Wasn't allowed to play that until I was 18. An entire four months went by from when that came out to when I turned 18.

My parents really don't care anymore what I play or watch. Queen's Blade here I come....

faridmon

Why the hell would someone deny their kid to play Pokemon?

Because it was evil :(

My group of friends in elementary school were like the only ones that never got into Pokemon, but it was always weird when you'd hear about some kid's parents taking that kind of stuff away from them. For me it was my grandma and my R.L. Stine books, but luckily my parents didn't let her take them to burn them.
Yeah, My mum was very strict (is still strict to a certain degree) I never had a lot of games just because it dilute my brain and I wouldn't study.

It was frustrating.

Kurita

I didn't buy any 16+ games until I was like 12. It wasn't a big deal tbh, I'm not a fan of violent games anyway, and I do think my parents did the right thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
vJV2Gax.gif

jRHfBkT.jpg

Absolutely none

TWGOK S3 7

We've now reached the second half of the Goddess Arc.

Keima might be the god of conquest, but not even he could find complete success in the double sick event.

Ayumi was cute throughout the whole episode and I'm glad they showed off her *ahem* sweat problem. Chihiro had some nice blush faces and that song of hers sounded nice, can't wait to hear the whole thing later on.

Even if it is going to be depressing.

Novid

Banned
You've said this twice, and while I'm not really overly interested in why, and I really, really don't want to be that guy, what you should be saying is "Society isn't worth the paper it is printed on."

Again, I'm really sorry, 'cuz I make those mistakes, too, and I'm by no means Mr. Perfect Grammar, but it was driving me crazy.

Thanks, ugh - I am not that that great of a multitasker.

Saprol

My school/parents never banned anything. Awesome childhood yaaay
My school banned Beyblades because kids were using metal bootleg versions. Shit's dangerous.

As for parents, they've in the past asked why all my games involved shooting people but didn't do anything else beyond that. Maybe if I had a microphone I'd have been one of those squeaky annoying shits in random CS servers.

/XX/

I'm not sure how many people here have seen this but Birth is an OVA from 1984. It's about 80 minutes long or so and while it's not the first, I believe it's notable as being one of the very first OVA's released.

(...)

If you're someone who really appreciates the animation of shows or doesn't mind watching a show more purely for it's animation compared to its narrative then I think you should give this a watch if you already haven't.
Damn right you are! It makes me happy that you watched it, Nafe.

About that link to a video you posted, precisely Washi collected a couple more that include some of the scenes that had identified its key animator in charge (http://washiblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/birth-classic-1984-ova-yoshinori-kanada/).

Interesting to note is that for BIRTH, apart from being animation supervisor and character designer, Mr. Kanada also helped with the overall setting and art design of the project, influencing everything with his strikingly dynamic watercolor sketches and image-boards...
sometime I need to make better scans and stitch together those beautiful ones from the 'Yoshinori Kanada Special' of the animage ORIGINAL vol.5 magazine.

I'd love to see more appreciation for Yoshinari Kanada like this, and more people interested that could foment a bigger following for anything related to its enormously influential figure... so maybe then we could see shared and translated for anyone all that love and those signs of respect dedicated to him, like those from his peers at TV specials like ANIME MAESTRO, or the one our own good bunny talked about time ago as was in MAG・NET (MAG・ネット), a now deceased program. Thankfully, we don't need translation for the homages of 'truly recognized successor' Mr. Imaishi, for example... individual ones or along his GAiNAXers pals.

And to our EmmanuelMuñoz... if you are watching this, I'll say that I want to offer you and everyone someday a 'rip' from that DOWN LOAD's LaserDisc release we talked about (well, that or convincing the person called suteaka to give us his/her decent quality transfer).

So I guess this opened up a couple hours ago:

http://www.space-dandy.com/

Not much there right now besides the plot overview and staff though.
Holy shit, that is literally the most barebones site I've seen for an upcoming anime.
At least we now have confirmation on the post titles exact translation they granted to themselves; 'sō kantoku' (chief director) for Mr. Watanabe and 'kantoku' (director) for Mr. Natsume.

faridmon

Personally, I don't think parents are banning enough nowadays. I mean just look at half of the COD community!

Are parents banning Pokemon more than they are banning COD? That's a really scary fact if true.

It isn't really.
Its about media influence and social perception on what gets accepted or not. Back in the day, Pokemon was seen as the thing that ''brainwashed'' kids and got them addicted to one thing rather than do useful stuff just because the media and people around said so.

COD is seen as something cool and parents accept the fact that the kids nowadays are all about image hence not doing anything of the fact.

Ive always hated Grand Theft auto. The top down ones were alright but it got really stupid.
I dont really have fun playing it at all.

I didn't get much out of GTA 4, but I was 13 when Vice City came out. I think I enjoyed the self-insert vidyagame Scarface story. "Look at me now world, I'm a 13 year old crime lord."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This thread has been weird for the past day or two. I'm just... I don't really know what to say. On another note. I can't wait for the SAO BD Set II.

Novid

Banned
You guys should really, really read up on the "Perverts Guide To Cinema" written by Slavoj Zizek and the movie based on the book. It explains what happened with the ending of Oriemo perfectly.

Theres one other one, but its more into the "Conspiracy Theory" stuff but also explains this ending in a different way.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I wasn't allowed to get/play M (or even T games at first) as a kid because I had younger siblings. Didn't even get a decent computer until I was basically already college. Never got the chance to play a lot of those "classics" of the fifth, sixth, and seventh generation of consoles and basically no computer games. Played fuck out of gameboy and DS games though.

And then my siblings got decent computers ASAP and got to buy M games basically as soon as they wanted. Still rustles my jimmies.

It isn't really.
Its about media influence and social perception on what gets accepted or not. Back in the day, Pokemon was seen as the thing that ''brainwashed'' kids and got them addicted to one thing rather than do useful stuff just because the media and people around said so.

COD is seen as something cool and parents accept the fact that the kids nowadays are all about image hence not doing anything of the fact.

Because they're not willing to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom