• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

There are reasons for why Heartcatch's fashion show kicks the shit out of this one, but you'd probably already realize why.

I'm not sure what you mean. What I do know is that Heartcatch's' fashion show had Momoka in it. As well as the cast being absolutely overwhelmingly superior in Heartcatch, especially Erika. And that they were setting up for it for a long time instead of one episode.

Day Break Illusion Episode 7

Pretty boring episode. I dont understand why all these magical girl anime need to resort to dull girly times and girly training to pass episods out. It is just really dull, why cant they learn from Star Driver or something and now how to do good non actiony episodes. Still the
tarot card
portion was good. Makes me now thing
that they all will die in the end and not just Ginka (obligatory Ginka will die first comment)

They have fashion shows? Wow Precure has changed.

Only two of them did, and Smile Precure's fashion show was just the plot of the day, whereas Heartcatch's was an actual subplot that revolved around its cast.

I'm not sure what you mean. What I do know is that Heartcatch's' fashion show had Momoka in it. As well as the cast being absolutely overwhelmingly superior in Heartcatch, especially Erika. And that they were setting up for it for a long time instead of one episode.

Well not just the main cast, but the side cast as well. But other than that, yeah, that's pretty much why it was better.

EDIT: *sees the episode number* awww man, next episode is pretty cool.

Incest is a fairly common topic in older literature (Oedipus!) and is an interesting subject to write about precisely because, like cannibalism, it is a revolting taboo in nearly every culture. Instant drama.
True, and yeah, that probably is the reason in works such as those.

I will say that it is thankfully very rare to see positive portrayals of the same outside of "anime culture," however.
Yeah, this is a very good, and important, point -- outside of anime culture, incest is virtually always portrayed extremely negatively. That is good, because it helps emphasize how wrong and abnormal it is. Anime culture is just about the only place that it isn't, unfortunately (for anime culture).

I will say, even when HBO does incest, it's considered "wrong". lol
Well yeah, it's portrayed as wrong there because it is rightly thought of as such in essentially everything that isn't anime.

*sigh* When I say I think being against incest on principle is silly, I obviously don't mean that people should start treating it as a TOTALLY NORMAL THING that EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING YOU GAIS. On account of not being an oblivious idiot, I'm perfectly aware that there are biological issues with the offspring of such relationships, and I think inherent biological tendencies (as well as social norms on top of that) are more than enough to ensure that such relationships are always going to be an incredibly rare occurrence.

I just think that in the unlikely event that they do occur, it's silly to treat such relationships as horrible and offensive on a personal level. Unless the couple in question are planning to have children (and I'd like to think most people are sane enough to not go down that route), there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with it if that's what both parties want.

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia. Both are a case of dismissing the validity of a relationship because it's a) not in line with most people's inherent sexual preferences (most people aren't attracted to the same sex/close relatives), and b) biologically illogical because it's not going to produce viable offspring.
No. Absolutely not, that is not a valid comparison. The reasons why incest is wrong don't apply at all to homosexuality. The one does not lead to the other any more than allowing homosexuality leads to polygamy, which is also utterly wrong for very good reasons, and I don't think is made any more plausibly legal (in the future or what have you) just because homosexuality is now legal in some places. Homosexuality has none of the negatives that make incest and polygamy awful.

Then post that list, please. I'll be waiting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest

What a blight on the medium it's managed to be.
Eh, it's not exactly an uncommon theme, sadly, it's just an overly popular show WITH that theme...

cajunator

Banned
SoA -- Finished

The second half was just weird; Asuna
became nothing more than goal, Oberon had absolutely nothing redeeming about him, and Kirito's relationship with Sugu was all kinds of wtf.
But it was entertaining throughout, which is more then I can say for the first half. I feel like there were all kinds of holes in the logic of is story, but I kinda just turned that part of the brain off and enjoyed OP Kirito kicking ass in the second half.

I'd be down for more. There are more books, and this was popular, right?

I feel like first half was at least watchable then got so stupid I didnt watch the rest.

So in the midst of thinking, I'm trying to think of just how absurd the characters are, but two stick out the most.

One being Mana, who... well, it's obvious I guess. She's clearly the strongest civilian Cure in the franchise, to the point that she shames her partners. She may lack technique (as far as we're aware), where Itsuki, Alice, and apparently Yuri can take her out, but she has a shit ton of raw strength.

Speaking of Alice, her richness is utterly absurd. It makes Karen look poor in comparison. Alice is like.... Wayne Corps rich.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 35

Best episode so far. So awesome. And you know what would have made it even more awesome? If the episode didn't spoil was was going to happen IN THE GODDAMN TITLE! FUCK YOU TOEI! EAT YOUR OWN BUTTS!

*ahem* Anyway, Reika masterfully controlled Happy Robo, so that earns her good points. As does Yayoi for being a total mech nerd. Nao and Akane lose points for not realizing how fucking rad it was to be sitting in the cockpit of a mech.

Also Wolfrun and Red Demon playing with their action figures at the beginning was funny too.

cajunator

Banned
So in the midst of thinking, I'm trying to think of just how absurd the characters are, but two stick out the most.

One being Mana, who... well, it's obvious I guess. She's clearly the strongest civilian Cure in the franchise, to the point that she shames her partners. She may lack technique (as far as we're aware), where Itsuki, Alice, and apparently Yuri can take her out, but she has a shit ton of raw strength.

Speaking of Alice, her richness is utterly absurd. It makes Karen look poor in comparison. Alice is like.... Wayne Corps rich.

On a scale of Yui to Mugi how rich is Alice?

Smile Precure 35

Best episode so far. So awesome. And you know what would have made it even more awesome? If the episode didn't spoil was was going to happen IN THE GODDAMN TITLE! FUCK YOU TOEI! EAT YOUR OWN BUTTS!

*ahem* Anyway, Reika masterfully controlled Happy Robo, so that earns her good points. As does Yayoi for being a total mech nerd. Nao and Ayase lose points for not realizing how fucking rad it was to be sitting in the cockpit of a mech.

Also Wolfrun and Red Demon playing with their action figures at the beginning was funny too.

*Akane

On a scale of Yui to Mugi how rich is Alice?

I never grasp how rich Mugi was, but I can say it's Mugi at the very least.

Gatchaman Crowds - 01

This wasn't bad for a first episode , in the sense that they showed the basic premise for the fights .
i have to admit that i don't know the original gatchaman so i can't compare but the first episode was alright on his own.

Main girl is something else being able to handle things like this like that BUT that's to be expected from a main character

mhs004

My friend just got into anime and we caught up to Attack of Titan. What is another good anime like it that he will like? Nothing to girly or child like please it's just not his style.

Narag

Gintama 65

zBtePMzl.png

Good lord.
KwwdEeHl.png

This cut made up for it though.

Verbal humor was hit or miss but the visual humor was beyond great this ep. So many great little cuts.

Syrinx

I think the Fukuyama's in Girls Bravo were the most obscenely rich family I can think of in anime. They owned pretty much everything within a 50-mile radius, and what they didn't own they would buy. Also Fukuyama sent a satellite into space just to stalk the other characters in the show. And he almost had an entire military comprised entirely of maids.

Narag

Hey, I needed to catch up on this too. I left off on the beginning of the first apparently serious arc and never continued.

Hop back onboard! I don't mean to keep putting it off but I've been watching it in time with One Piece so I have to be in the right mood for both.

Hop back onboard! I don't mean to keep putting it off but I've been watching it in time with One Piece so I have to be in the right mood for both.

I'll probably do that tonight/whenever I get caught up with ongoing stuff I missed over the weekend. It's weird because I find Gintama incredibly easy to watch but I just forgot about it.

Akeno is the black haired girl?

Yes, she's the lewdest and the ara ara~-est.

Ojamajo Doremi 36

Onpu continues to style and profile, she's there at the lv 4 test just to fuck with the main 3, and she's so honest about it too.

Other than that, it was them vs the Tortoise and Hare, with MAGIC

EDIT: I know how to solve this incest problem. Create Outcest!

Narag

I'll probably do that tonight/whenever I get caught up with ongoing stuff I missed over the weekend. It's weird because I find Gintama incredibly easy to watch but I just forgot about it.

I think that's an inherent danger in lightweight series. At least I'm guilty of that with other stuff hah

Gatchaman Crowds - 02

Another cool episode the main dialog and the way the heroine acts is a breath of fresh air and so far her reaction is quite good.

I'm not sure that she understand that her soul is in her note ... the way i see it it's exactly like madoka magica ... but she seems ok with it... i certainly wouldnot be.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 36

Love? Crushes? In my Precure?!

(to be clear, I do remember how prominent this was in Futari wa and yes, I generally am okay with it).

But again, seriously, if you're going to have a character who's from the U.K., get a fucking guy that actually speaks English, not to mention one that has a British accent.

Oh God that ending was sappy as hell.

e: wtf madp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom