• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smile Precure 36

Love? Crushes? In my Precure?!

(to be clear, I do remember how prominent this was in Futari wa and yes, I generally am okay with it).

But again, seriously, if you're going to have a character who's from the U.K., get a fucking guy that actually speaks English, not to mention one that has a British accent.

Oh God that ending was sappy as hell.

e: wtf madp?

This one obviously pissed people off (guess who), but this dude was like... the dorkiest most unfashionable one out there. I think this could be another reason why Akane gets the shaft in the Nao pairings (although I think Miyuki doesn't get much attention in comparison to everyone else).

Articalys

@Trigger_tattun said:
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Making random sketch from animators and other contents available for $1 purchase.

Our 1st upload as an test will be Inferno Cop's main theme.
4Yghc2x.jpg

NHdhGM3.jpg
https://gumroad.com/l/MAKa
Die Hollen Polizei, the Inferno Cop theme, available for $1 as a 2:24 long, 24.3 MB .wav file.

(source tweets 1, 2)

Who knows what else this might be used for in the future?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One Piece 65

lol @ mr. 5 being lenny kravitz

You'll notice even more celebrity cameos as the series goes on. One of the arc bosses is Eminem :lol

e: I think it's probably time for me to bite the bullet and catch up on the last hundred episodes at one a day. I don't just hate Toei for magical girl reasons.

wonzo

Banned
Thats kind of a bullshit copout. Im not saying I condone this sort of thing personally (anime aside) but if its consensual and not hurting anybody who cares really?
Maybe you should read what's actually been posted earlier but the notion it doesn't harm anyone is incredibly disingenuous:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2010/12/incest_is_cancer.single.html

Incestuous connections lead to an overlap of family relationships and social roles and thus to a disturbance of a family bereft of [clear] assignments. … Children of an incestuous relationship have great difficulty finding their place in the family structure and building relationships of trust with their next caregivers. The vital function of the family for the human community … is crucially disturbed if its ordered structure is shaken by incestuous relations.

Liberals tend to recoil from such arguments. They fear that a movement to preserve the "family unit" would roll back equal rights for homosexuals. But that doesn't follow. Morally, the family-structure argument captures our central intuition about incest: It confuses relationships. Constitutionally, this argument provides a rational basis for laws against incest. But it doesn't provide a rational basis for laws against homosexuality. In fact, it supports the case for same-sex marriage.

When a young man falls in love with another man, no family is destroyed. Homosexuality is largely immutable, as the chronic failure of "ex-gay" ministries attests. So if you forbid sex between these two men, neither of them is likely to form a happy, faithful heterosexual family. The best way to help them form a stable family is to encourage them to marry each other.

Incest spectacularly flunks this test. By definition, it occurs within an already existing family. So it offers no benefit in terms of family formation. On the contrary, it injects a notoriously incendiary dynamic—sexual tension—into the mix. Think of all the opposite-sex friendships you and your friends have cumulatively destroyed by "crossing the line." Now imagine doing that to your family. That's what incest does. Don't take my word for it. Read The Kiss. Or the sad threads on pro-incest message boards. Or what Woody Allen's son says about his dad: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father …"

Homosexuality is an orientation. Incest isn't. If the law bans gay sex, a lesbian can't have a sex life. But if you're hot for your sister, and the law says you can't sleep with her, you have billions of other options. Get out of your house, for God's sake. You'll find somebody to love without incinerating your family. And don't tell me you're just adding a second kind of love to your relationship. That's like adding a second kind of life to your body. When a second kind of life grows in your body, we call it cancer. That's what incest is: cancer of the family.

Syrinx

This one obviously pissed people off (guess who), but this dude was like... the dorkiest most unfashionable one out there. I think this could be another reason why Akane gets the shaft in the Nao pairings (although I think Miyuki doesn't get much attention in comparison to everyone else).

I largely don't give a shit about shipping and pairings and bullshit like that. If you're actually pissed off about that sort of thing...well, I can't help you.

But yeah, that dude did kinda suck. All they needed was to make him obsessed with anime and he would have been a full-fledged weeaboo coming to Japan to experience their superior culture and all that jazz.

You're ignoring the rather large section on child abuse, I presume, and this:
Certainly has to be, yeah.

Let's say the only living family members are the siblings, one or both are infertile, and it's consensual.

Is it fine then?
The problem is that such a situation is near-nonexistent in the real world because of the natural aversion human beings have towards wanting to have relationships with their siblings. Almost all actual incest is child abuse.

Not every case of incest involves rape or horrible trauma. Some of it is purely love based and consensual.
A fraction of a fraction of a percent, perhaps. It's that rare for a reason, between the natural aversion I mentioned above and societal rules against it on top of that, that's something that would almost never happen in the real world. Note how in the Wikipedia article, most of the article is about either child abuse or past examples of incest not for love, but for family/power reasons that have nothing to do with love (such as how Egyptian royalty used incest to keep outsiders from having any chance of having a claim on their throne).

And even in that miniscule minority of cases that aren't about that stuff, any children would have a high likelihood of problems. But seriously, my main problem with incest in anime is about how common it is in anime (if it was as rare as it should be it wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem) and that the natural aversion siblings have towards being interested in such things is almost never present. It's a completely unnatural in a very bad way. Of course there are lots of problems with how anime stereotypes people, and this is just one of them, but it is an important one. There are plenty more though, particularly about female characters... it's often hard to find female anime characters (particularly in shonen) who act like human beings, I think.

Maybe you should read what's actually been posted earlier but the notion it doesn't harm anyone is incredibly disingenuous:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2010/12/incest_is_cancer.single.html
Good article there. And as I said in my last post, similar points rule out polygamy as a valid comparison to homosexuality (or as something that should ever, EVER be allowed, which it should not) as well. In polygamy's case of course, it's the inherent sexism of the situation that's the biggest problem, irregardless of the opinions of the people involved.

I'm not comparing incest to homosexuality, but this

When a young man falls in love with another man, no family is destroyed.

is definitely not always true. You hear about parents disowning their kids all the time when finding out that they're gay.

The problem is that such a situation is near-nonexistent in the real world because of the natural aversion human beings have towards wanting to have relationships with their siblings.

I'm not asking your opinion on the likelihood of the situation, I'm asking whether it would be fine.

And I'll say what I said in the Oreimo thread; what if the Westermarck effect isn't in play? Separated at birth or some other similar scenario.

Almost all actual incest is child abuse.

I'm referring to the small percentage that isn't.

I largely don't give a shit about shipping and pairings and bullshit like that. If you're actually pissed off about that sort of thing...well, I can't help you.

But yeah, that dude did kinda suck. All they needed was to make him obsessed with anime and he would have been a full-fledged weeaboo coming to Japan to experience their superior culture and all that jazz.

Well I was primarily talking SDBurton, but looking at later stuff (and what I said earlier) She's too similar to Nao, so it doesn't mesh as well.

However, we couldn't have Brian be a fullfledged weeaboo. This is an Akane episode, not Yayoi.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10235994

I still really want this figure. Whats the show called again? Someone named Yaya has to be rather adorable.

kikou shoujo wa kizutsukanai

if you want to know what the show is about :

During the early 20th century, along with technological advancements, scientists were able to develop sophisticated magic. The combination of science and sorcery was Makinot, circuits made from spells that were put into objects to bring them to life and even gain a personality. It was developed as a military weapon and has now spread throughout the world.

Akabane Raishin is now attending the Royal Academy to become the best in the world. Accompanied by the lovely teenage girl Yaya, who is actually Raishin’s puppet weapon, he plans on rocketing to the top of the class. However, his test scores come nearly dead last although his combat skills and determination are second to none. Raishin has to compete with the deadliest of classmates if he wants to come out as the king.

Edit : oh wait you got the info yourself .Didn't see that ..

Wait : it's getting an anime ???

is definitely not always true. You hear about parents disowning their kids all the time when finding out that they're gay.

Wouldn't that attribute more to the fact that gay relationships wasn't as common or accepted in their time though?

Syrinx

Well I was primarily talking SDBurton, but looking at later stuff (and what I said earlier) She's too similar to Nao, so it doesn't mesh as well.

However, we couldn't have Brian be a fullfledged weeaboo. This is an Akane episode, not Yayoi.

Oh I knew who you were talking about.

There are some shippings in anime that I actually may or even do support, to some extent. I won't lose any sleep over having them ruined though. It just seems largely like some meta-game while watching the show of "Everybody's a lesbian! Pair them together!" And...I guess if that enhances your viewing experience, go for it, but it just seems kinda dumb sometimes. Especially in a kids show like Precure.

Wouldn't that attribute more to the fact that gay relationships wasn't as common or accepted in their time though?

You're probably going to have cases like that well into the future. It may never stop. I think there's been enough interracial relationships in our "parents time" that they wouldn't think about disowning their kids over it, but they do it anyway.

Edit: Let's stop

Oh I knew who you were talking about.

There are some shippings in anime that I actually may or even do support, to some extent. I won't lose any sleep over having them ruined though. It just seems largely like some meta-game while watching the show of "Everybody's a lesbian! Pair them together!" And...I guess if that enhances your viewing experience, go for it, but it just seems kinda dumb sometimes. Especially in a kids show like Precure.

Well I guess it made the earlier seasons doable (well mainly Max Heart), but Yes! 5 is where it's like "Okay STAHP, lets kill your parade while throwing you a bone" (Meanwhile the very few Rin fans ultimately gets fucked over very hard in comparison to everyone else), so that was the end of that fun.

Gatchaman crowd - 03

Still NO IDEA what's going on but .... it's fun i guess ??

i'm confused on several things ... like the fact that's it's NOT a monster of the week show and that someone upgraded ( updated ? ) facebook ...and it's running with sky net and only 100 moderators... Mark Zuckerberg , you've met your match !

Syrinx

Well I guess it made the earlier seasons doable (well mainly Max Heart), but Yes! 5 is where it's like "Okay STAHP, lets kill your parade while throwing you a bone" (Meanwhile the very few Rin fans ultimately gets fucked over very hard in comparison to everyone else), so that was the end of that fun.

Who would you even pair in Max Heart? Wasn't that just Black and White from Futari wa plus Shiny Luminous whom everybody agrees sucks a mile-long dick, and who probably isn't worth anybody's time anyway? Then it's just Honoka and Nagisa, both of whom had established crushes in Futari wa, the latter of which evidently carries over into Max Heart. Were people just that desperate for something to cling to to keep watching?

Who would you even pair in Max Heart? Wasn't that just Black and White from Futari wa plus Shiny Luminous whom everybody agrees sucks a mile-long dick, and who probably isn't worth anybody's time anyway? Then it's just Honoka and Nagisa, both of whom had established crushes in Futari wa, the latter of which evidently carries over into Max Heart. Were people just that desperate for something to cling to to keep watching?

I would think they are, but I ultimately think the best way to deal with Max Heart if you're actually going to watch it is to bum rush it since its awfulness won't sink in quite as fast (which is why I originally gave it a six, despite acknowledging that I nearly burned out in the process).

Honoka's establish crush
is dead though, so she's pretty free

cajunator

Banned

Lots of different relationships have power to disrupt and destroy family.

kikou shoujo wa kizutsukanai

if you want to know what the show is about :

Edit : oh wait you got the info yourself .Didn't see that ..

Wait : it's getting an anime ???

yes it is :D

Syrinx

I would think they are, but I ultimately think the best way to deal with Max Heart if you're actually going to watch it is to bum rush it since its awfulness won't sink in quite as fast (which is why I originally gave it a six, despite acknowledging that I nearly burned out in the process).

Honoka's establish crush
is dead though, so she's pretty free

I thought at the end that Kiriya was shown alive, but with no memory and such so he can start anew...or something like that.

Meh, whatever. He wasn't good enough for her anyway.

trejo

I'm just thinking out loud here but if I were a mod I would've probably banned a bunch of you fuckers already for all this constant incest shit.

Just saying.

edit: Ah, I see Dresden's already taken care of business. Nevermind, then.

I thought at the end that Kiriya was shown alive, but with no memory and such so he can start anew...or something like that.

Meh, whatever. He wasn't good enough for her anyway.

Well yeah, he does come back at the end, but he pretty much stops existing after that, so it no longer matters.

Meanwhile, Yes gives everyone their established fairy "partner" sans Rin.

Rin is the only one who stayed "pure".

Not that i mind "cure aqua x milky rose" i'm actually satisfied

But it endlessly tortures her with that fact too. Doesn't help that she's less popular than fucking Shiny Luminous (granted a few others are) and is in dead last to boot.

It is kind silly to see all the yuri pairings in supposed kids shows. But its kinda fun too.

We know it's yuri but they call it "friendship" ..doubtless in the fact that i believe in my eyes and know the truth ...

The simple conclusion is to admit that you can do everything you want once friendship is involved.

But it endlessly tortures her with that fact too. Doesn't help that she's less popular than fucking Shiny Luminous (granted a few others are) and is in dead last to boot.

Sorry but if yes precure had added ONE MORE fairy i would have killed someone. unless it was a fighting character like milky.

Seriously. Too bad for rin , but that was a sacrifice to be done.

Articalys

I....I need that poster. HOW DO I OBTAIN THIS POSTER?
Well, that much is easy, just get a copy of the September issue of Ultra Jump from your local Japanese magazine bookseller. Or import it yourself/get someone to send you the magazine if none such stores exist near you.

Mature

Well, that much is easy, just get a copy of the September issue of Ultra Jump from your local Japanese magazine bookseller. Or import it yourself/get someone to send you the magazine if none such stores exist near you.
Oh, you know what, I may actually do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom