• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 7 Oh yes, this show is well made in a certain sense, I certain felt as fucking bored as Tokomo was watching this most tedious affairs. I get it, I really do, hey look at the hugely unpopular, probably suffering from Aspberger's syndrome, high school girl summer break of doing fuck all, doesn't remind you of your own pathetic summer break? There in lies one of the other reasons I hate this show so god damned much, this very obvious and cynical otaku pandering that gives the likes of SAO a run for its money. Also, Watamote, stop trying to have attempts at a sibling relationship filled with mirth and kindness. It just feels hollow and falls fiat on its ass since Tomoki is a loathsome little troglodyte who needs to have his face repeatedly slammed into a wall until it is a bloody mess. In short, fuck this garbage, I am going to watch a random episode of Phineas and Ferb, as any given episode of that is better then this noise.

cajunator

Banned
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 7 Oh yes, this show is well made in a certain sense, I certain felt as fucking bored as Tokomo was watching this most tedious affairs. I get it, I really do, hey look at the hugely unpopular, probably suffering from Aspberger's syndrome, high school girl summer break of doing fuck all, doesn't remind you of your own pathetic summer break? There in lies one of the other reasons I hate this show so god damned much, this very obvious and cynical otaku pandering that gives the likes of SAO a run for its money. Also, Watamote, stop trying to have attempts at a sibling relationship filled with mirth and kindness. It just feels hollow and falls fiat on its ass since Tomoki is a loathsome little troglodyte who needs to have his face repeatedly slammed into a wall until it is a bloody mess. In short, fuck this garbage, I am going to watch a random episode of Phineas and Ferb, as any given episode of that is better then this noise.

I deal with social awkwardness from aspergers every day. Its not easy.

Oh, I got confused with the stuff at the end of the last page. Sorry.

Its no problem. Attack on titan isnt really well made I would agree.

wonzo

Banned
He is talking about Watamote.

literally silver link though.
Yeah, Watamote does feel really phoned in a times unlike their adaptation of Dusk Maiden which was pretty good past the shitty start. The only reason I'm bothering with it is the novelty of seeing all the cringeworthy stuff from the manga animated.

CorvoSol

I havent watched the latest episode of AOT. Was there screaming in it?

Attack on Titan drinking game: Every time someone actually moves, take a shot. Finish the bottle when someone says something that is not punctuated with at least one exclamation point. Invite your local AA to play!

Glass Fleet 16

Cleo and Sean Connery escape from Witch Mountain and Luci Christian is finally set loose from her place in this as well. Meanwhile ninja maids are still a thing, and the butler goes to talk to the Lamia. Betty continues to make no sense, having
date raped Michel, ditched his wife, and now obsessing over Cleo
but you shouldn't care about any of that because Cleo will win and it isn't like there is ANY tension in this at all because Cleo has NEVER really lost at anything because he's Cleo and all he's missing is the power to shoot fire from his hands.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, Watamote does feel really phoned in a times unlike their adaptation of Dusk Maiden which was pretty good past the shitty start.

Dusk maiden turned out to be very enjoyable. I bought the blurays. Best of the (girl representing idea) animes from that season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I deal with social awkwardness from aspergers every day. Its not easy.

Yea, so do I, which is why I know and can see that Tokomo is suffering from something, maybe not Aspberger's, maybe social anxiety disorder, but something more is there. At best this is cynical pandering, at worst this is a most egregious misunderstanding of legitimate mental disorders to be made the butt of unflattering and unfunny jokes.

jman2050

You seem like an extremely unpleasant person to be around. Perhaps you relate to Tomoko more than you think.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 19

...and the rest will follow.

The world is crumbling around in magnificent fashion. The Count's Revenge is running as planned. Albert is losing himself. Eugenie is finally worth something to her father, but not the way she wanted. Andrea is still fucking prick. And that's all good with me. Except for Andrea. Fuck that guy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You seem like an extremely unpleasant person to be around. Perhaps you relate to Tomoko more than you think.

No, I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur like she does. Also, got any real counter-arguments or are just going to make character judgements because I don't like the thing that you like?

Monogatari SS 7

Araragi & Shinobu: parters in time.

If those flashes ahead are any indication, shit is going to get really real. Already enjoying this Arv 11x more than I thought I would

Based on what I've read about Kabukimonogatari, yes, shit gets extremely real.

I kinda sorta hope maybe they can somehow throw in a Back to the Future reference, but I highly doubt that'll happen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, Watamote does feel really phoned in a times unlike their adaptation of Dusk Maiden which was pretty good past the shitty start. The only reason I'm bothering with it is the novelty of seeing all the cringeworthy stuff from the manga animated.
now you can see relevant animegaf conversations beautifully animated.

Here is a shot from the most recent episode that kind of epitomizes how poor the production is on Watamote:
P9uUSqq.jpg
Weird fucking lens flare in the middle of nowhere. Those sharp lighting squares creeping up on the image in the form of these shadows that come out of nowhere. The block of wood head board. My favorite team the "World Cup". I have three of their posters. Eraser pillow. The angles of the walls. This completely out of place row of books on the desk in this otherwise spartan room.

cajunator

Banned
Yea, so do I, which is why I know and can see that Tokomo is suffering from something, maybe not Aspberger's, maybe social anxiety disorder, but something more is there. At best this is cynical pandering, at worst this is a most egregious misunderstanding of legitimate mental disorders to be made the butt of unflattering and unfunny jokes.

Aspergers is a high functioning autism. She might have characteristics of that since she can function in society and just simply hates it. I used to hate society but over time I grew to appreciate and love people.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aspergers is a high functioning autism. She might have characteristics of that since she can function in society and just simply hates it. I used to hate society but over time I grew to appreciate and love people.

I dunno about that, one of the recurring comedic motifs is how much she has trouble adjusting to normal society. Just off the top of my head I am thinking of the whole deal with being covered in dried coke and ants and how not aware Tokomo was of the situation.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 10

I had other things to say about this episode but holy cow can Karlman please be the first baby to die in a Gundam series? ALL HE DOES IS SCREAM. And I get that small children are shrieking factories, although I was lead to understand they were capable of also being quiet and making noises other than "FUCKING SCREAM" but the point is, Karlman wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't literally fused to Shakti's back in some grotesque manner, and since Shakti is a bigger idiot than Uso (who is pretty dumb, taking off without a fully docked Gundam to scout an area he knows might have enemies, and bringing two civilians along for no reason anyway), it means I get to hear Karlman scream ALL THE TIME.

Good GOD. Can I get one episode, just ONE episode without hearing that noise? If I wanted to play Yoshi's Island I'd pop that in instead.

jman2050

No, I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur like she does. Also, got any real counter-arguments or are just going to make character judgements because I don't like the thing that you like?

I'm not going to attempt to rebut your argument because hey, it's your opinion and you're free to think what you want about the show. I of all people am in no position to chastise someone for being a voice of dissent about a show that most other GAFfers seem to like...

I'm just amused at the irony from the fact that with your vehement judgmental tone and the presumed cynical disdain for the show's intended audience that you are acting very much like the character you are attempting to vilify.

cajunator

Banned
I dunno about that, one of the recurring comedic motifs is how much she has trouble adjusting to normal society. Just off the top of my head I am thinking of the whole deal with being covered in dried coke and ants and how not aware Tokomo was of the situation.

I have been covered I n red ants before while sleeping and when I woke up I was certainly well aware of the situation.

Articalys

This past week, nothing new was released. Literally. The most boring sales list ever, but for consistency's sake, here it is.
Code:
2013 08/12~08/18 Anime BD List
*2 (***)	*43	1,234	387,990	*17	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33)
*3 (***)	*29	1,029	*44,008	**5	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
*4 (***)	*27	*,994	*87,289	**4	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
*5 (***)	*37	*,666	*15,397	**4	Ghost in the Shell ARISE v1
*6 (***)	*68	*,645	*53,246	**8	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
*7 (***)	**2	*,643	**9,323	**2	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
*9 (***)	*72	*,574	*20,396	**8	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
10 (***)	*59	*,512	*12,236	**5	Porco Rosso
Code:
2013 08/12~08/18 Anime DVD List
*3 (***)	*19	1,959	1,204,338	608	My Neighbor Totoro
*6 (***)	*33	1,702	*,*55,004	**8	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
*9 (***)	*91	1,050	*,*59,882	**8	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
11 (***)	*54	1,018	*,*25,003	**5	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
12 (***)	*61	*,981	*,512,302	554	Kiki's Delivery Service
16 (***)	*55	*,889	*,771,207	543	Castle in the Sky
19 (***)	*67	*,856	*,**8,386	**4	Precure All Stars New Stage 2 Kokoro no Tomodachi
20 (***)	*82	*,795	*,357,303	357	Princess Mononoke
24 (***)	---	*,693	*,173,722	*17	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33) 
25 (***)	*56	*,637	*,*21,755	**4	ONE PIECE Log Collection "Sabaody"
26 (***)	---	*,631	2,385,197	417	Spirited Away
28 (***)	---	*,593	*,658,449	379	Naussica of the Valley of the Wind
30 (***)	*84	*,580	*,**7,308	**4	Hunter x Hunter Phantom Rouge
As if to make up for it, an unholy amount of shows are being released this week, including the Anohana BD-Box, Star Driver The Movie, Attack on Titan volume 2, Angel's Egg, the first two summer shows (Servant x Service and Brothers Conflict) and many, many, many, MANY more.

CorvoSol

Bow to the Totoro King, suckers. BOW TO HIS GRINNING FACE. Bow to his Catbus.

You will never be even half the man that Totoro is today.

Yeah, she reminds me pretty strongly of how I was in middle school and maybe my first year of high school. I have Asperger's, although I just barely qualify, to be honest (I wasn't even diagnosed until two and a half years ago -- up until then I was misdiagnosed with ADHD and OCD somehow). I was nevertheless an extremely unpleasant person to be around in my early teens. I had some nasty entitlement issues, and severely overestimated my, well, everything.

Minus the extreme shyness, I was basically her as a guy. I'm not particularly proud of that fact.

You know what. I just realized another part that was stupid of Suite Precure, and this was actually mentioned earlier in regards to how Smile Precure gathers energy.

Why in the fuck did they bother making them into Negatones? Just fucking take them! I understand if you cross pathes, but if you don't, why bother?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Isn't that what started this line of suggestions, though?

ANYWAY, I forgot to mention:

MEGAS XLR -Pilot- Low Brow

So Felix Orion, who is a total bro, by the way, guys, sent me this little gem to watch, and watch I did. The pilot ran during the Cartoon Cartoon Summer, which, if I remember my childhood right, was a period in which many shorts were released and viewers voted to determine which ones got to be new Cartoon Cartoons. This is how Billy and Mandy and Sheep in the Big City happened, both of which were great shows until Billy stopped being important and Mandy became the invincible Mary Sue that alt-goth kids in Junior High and Hot Topic would worship forever (I might be slightly bitter about this).

Anyway, the short, which runs for like, seven and change minutes, is mostly the first episode of the show in a condensed format with lower-quality animation. Notably Kiva and Coop's eyes are more akin to Jaime's, and Kiva's face is really off model (her face wouldn't really get nailed down until the second season). The Glorft, and Gorath in particular, don't play much of a role in the short, but it is worth it to see the origins of Megas, the eightball Hadoken, and a number of series staple gags.

Basically it is a damn shame that there was never a third season of this show.

Aww ya makin' me blush, son.

I definitely agree that the character models were off and the animation wasn't the best, but I really liked the rather fluid animation style of Low Brow.

Theonik

Gunbuster
I had mixed feelings on this first episode. It initially came across as almost more of a comedy with its wacky scenes such as the robots and their gym routines or maybe even kind of a parody of certain other shows. On that note, just the way I found out the Japanese name "top o nerae" or "Aim for the top" seems to be a play off of an older sports shoujo involving tennis called "Ace o nerae" or "Aim for the ace." I haven't actually seen the show though so I don't know what all there was as far as allusions there.
First episode does indeed play on a parody of Eisu o Nerae, or indeed several other shoujo that were later inspired by it, even with regards to its general story in that episode they are damn near identical exchanging some drama and adding mechs.

If my fluffy tails could hide my shame I wouldn't wear any underwear either.
Yes. This logic is flawless.

and forget about the cursed items!
That's not very encouraging.

I think this one looks better, right?
Mirror it so she looks into the posts.

Make it transparent and we're set!
That too.

https://gumroad.com/l/MAKa
Die Hollen Polizei, the Inferno Cop theme, available for $1 as a 2:24 long, 24.3 MB .wav file.

(source tweets 1, 2)

Who knows what else this might be used for in the future?
Bought.

Not the hero AnimeGAF deserves but the one it needs right now.

I really do wish there was a way to purge Watamote from this world.
I can't wait to see what AnimeGAF does if they adapt
the incest arc.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, she reminds me pretty strongly of how I was in middle school and maybe my first year of high school. I have Asperger's, although I just barely qualify, to be honest (I wasn't even diagnosed until two and a half years ago -- up until then I was misdiagnosed with ADHD and OCD somehow). I was nevertheless an extremely unpleasant person to be around in my early teens. I had some nasty entitlement issues, and severely overestimated my, well, everything.

Minus the extreme shyness, I was basically her as a guy. I'm not particularly proud of that fact.

I was pretty quiet but definitely had some major social issues that I still deal with daily. It kind of made me lack empathy for a long time although more recently ive regained that. Im pretty fun to be around now if a bit eccentric.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dammit, cajun

The cousin thing? 'Cause I kinda already knew about that.

Watamote 7

First half was a bit boring (though I suppose that was the point), but man did the second half crank up the wajah to maximum. Poor Tomoko. :lol

wonzo

Banned
now you can see relevant animegaf conversations beautifully animated.

Here is a shot from the most recent episode that kind of epitomizes how poor the production is on Watamote:
Weird fucking lens flare in the middle of nowhere. Those sharp lighting squares creeping up on the image in the form of these shadows that come out of nowhere. The block of wood head board. My favorite team the "World Cup". I have three of their posters. Eraser pillow. The angles of the walls. This completely out of place row of books on the desk in this otherwise spartan room.
The dumb lens flare stuff is definitely there to try and hide up just how fucking boring and ugly the layouts of everything are. It really doesn't work.

Servant x Service - 3

I'm attempting to catch up with this series, but at a snail's pace. I have to be in the right mood for it, I guess.

Is it just me, or is Touko's VA, Rumi Ookubo, sorta doing an Ayana Taketatsu impression? It's a pretty fitting tsundere voice, so I'm not really complaining.

Meanwhile, Lucy continues to be the most moe character this season.

I also love how completely deadpan Chihaya is at all times. It's absolutely hilarious.

Also, is there some sort of thing the Japanese have with Satie's Gymnopédie no. 1? I heard a tiny bit of it in this episode, and I know I've heard it in several other anime (most notably The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya).

I'm not complaining; it's a pleasant little piece. It works really well when arranged for classical and/or fingerstyle guitar, too.

Overall, a pretty decent episode. Light on plot, but that's sorta how it's been so far. Not really sure if the Lucy/Hasebe teasing will lead anywhere (they are pretty cute together).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
WataMote 7
Utr4QJMl.jpg

Indeed. Great episode. lol

Sukitte Il Na Yo OVA
A38HZVjl.jpg

It was a nice reminder of the show, but other than the characters still being together and a hint of movement on behalf of the mohawk dude, it really does feel like something that was designed to be a bit of "status-quo" service, for lack of a better term.

Dog and Scissors
VV369ncl.jpg

Masochist girl really does take it to the next level. I'm not even sure what this show is anymore, although since you could argue that it involves bestiality, it may be more controversial than OreImo. Well, if anyone actually watched it that is. lol

Railgun whatever
vfSoSG5l.jpg

I have no idea what's going on in this show, but I'm glad that they remembered that season 1 exists.

/XX/

Looking at that Washiblog article and it's interesting to see the names of some of the people who animated certain sections. As I mentioned I'm still learning the names of animators and trying to see their own styles. I remember earlier mention in the thread of people talking about animators being inspired by or learning from Yoshinari Kanada and the term "Kanada-style".
Now that you mention 'Kanada Style'... I've already posted about this same Facebook account earlier, but for a quick taste of everything related to Mr. Kanada and his further influence, this place created by Mexican pal Tito Alarcón (@TitoHabif) is one of the very first you need to go to:

The Kanada Style 「金田スタイル」 | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/thekanadastyle

@Trigger_tattun said:
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Making random sketch from animators and other contents available for $1 purchase.

Our 1st upload as an test will be Inferno Cop's main theme.
https://gumroad.com/l/MAKa
Die Hollen Polizei, the Inferno Cop theme, available for $1 as a 2:24 long, 24.3 MB .wav file.

(source tweets 1, 2)
But Mr. Tatemoto didn't say anything about paying for them, what a sly guy... they are definitely going to rip us off GAiNAX style, huh? ;-P

I....I need that poster. HOW DO I OBTAIN THIS POSTER?
This is the magazine's volume you'll have to search for:

Ultra Jump Shueisha [BOOK]
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-1544056

Remember that cover! :)

You know what. I just realized another part that was stupid of Suite Precure, and this was actually mentioned earlier in regards to how Smile Precure gathers energy.

Why in the fuck did they bother making them into Negatones? Just fucking take them! I understand if you cross pathes, but if you don't, why bother?
They are negatone to prevent the final tome to be completed , because
noise doesn't like good music ?

This gif should be kept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom