• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you guys redesign Noire, Uni Blanc and Vert for next gen?

(I didn't know that the creator of Neptunia is a female?)

Vert:
kwb6nAB.png

Blanc:

Noire: I dunno, bigger breasts or something. Noire sucks.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 17
Sakura's Cajun levels were especially high this epiode. All those "Hueeee"s.
That's quite a dormidable card they got there too. Li's power levels seem to fluctuate quite a ton. It's confusing somewhat. At least the implication seems to be that Sakura's inherent magical levels are much greater than his.

Ojamajo Doremi #3

At this point, I don't even need to explain these two. Shipping Erika and Tsubomi before even existing.

Pop finally takes her damn exam thanks to raising a kid
And she gets boosted to level 6 for performing magic too good for her previous level.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 18
Sakura in a sakura yukata!
I'd be surprised if they find a use for glow but they've been good at this so far so I'll keep some faith in them.
Nevertheless Sakura is becoming stronger.

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon 7

Mikage:
"You're just like a horse, Hachiken!"
Mikage:
"I don't want to become a farmer because I want to spend my life with horses."

Yeah, that's
basically a confession
. Right? Right?!

Articalys

Looks like the Haganai live-action movie cast their Sena -- the role goes to actress and gravure idol Mio Otani. As is clear to see, she's not a blonde anymore, and the source article also says her father is now a city councilman instead of the school's director. She'll still have the "Meat" nickname, though.

Ojamajo Doremi #4

You'd think Hazuki would be the mother instead. The plot line from episode one last season continued with her not being sure if Igarashi still loves her due to Soccer practice. This led to Doremi being stupid in regards to taking care of a baby, causing drama and getting slapped. You still have a lot to learn about being a parent.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 19
Summer homework episode? Summer homework episode!
The start of the episode seemed pretty excessively visual gaggy compared to some of the others before it. Sakura is very sneaky as well.
Getting other people to do her homework tsk tsk. Also cheating on weather reports. Serves her right though Kerro-chan's math answers were hilarious.
Wei looks like a groovy guy.
Hah! That fortune about dealing with women ended up being too right. Poor Li. Meilin looks fun!

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 19
Summer homework episode? Summer homework episode!
The start of the episode seemed pretty excessively visual gaggy compared to some of the others before it. Sakura is very sneaky as well.
Getting other people to do her homework tsk tsk. Also cheating on weather reports. Serves her right though Kerro-chan's math answers were hilarious.
Wei looks like a groovy guy.
Hah! That fortune about dealing with women ended up being too right. Poor Li. Meilin looks fun!
This episode taught me to use "I won't buy it" for any math problem involving money that I don't know.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looks like the Haganai live-action movie cast their Sena -- the role goes to actress and gravure idol Mio Otani. As is clear to see, she's not a blonde anymore, and the source article also says her father is now a city councilman instead of the school's director. She'll still have the "Meat" nickname, though.

Those boobs clearly aren't big enough.

cnet128

Banned
Danganronpa 8

I think this may be the best-executed episode the series has done so far. Admittedly that's not saying much, but I quite enjoyed it. I daresay the improvement stems from the fact that there was actual focus on character interactions. And it probably helps that the characters who got the most focus were best girl Asahina and most fuck-awesome character Oogami (who threw in a blatant Hokuto no Ken reference within the first few seconds of this episode, just in case anyone was in any doubt about her badass status).

Though the focus that Oogami got in this episode did make me realise just how little we've really seen of her in the anime up until this point. Sigh. All these great characters, going to waste because the anime doesn't have any time to let them shine. Meh, at least anyone who actually gives half a shit about the series has had ample warning to just play the game instead.

Andrew J.

Silver Spoon 07

It's funny - there are a lot of little moments that, in a different series, would definitely culminate in Hachiken becoming a vegetarian, but there are larger themes and other moments that pretty much cancel them out.

Earth Maiden Arjuna, this ain't.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

LA staying true to the series overall.

Yozora is the better chick in every way.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 17
Sakura's Cajun levels were especially high this epiode. All those "Hueeee"s.
That's quite a dormidable card they got there too. Li's power levels seem to fluctuate quite a ton. It's confusing somewhat. At least the implication seems to be that Sakura's inherent magical levels are much greater than his.

Those uweeeeeeh's and hanyans are the stuff that kills people. Very very dangerous.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 20
I was right about Mei-lin. That ojousama laugh. And faces. Poor Li though.
Looks like the next few epsidoes are going to be extremely fun.
Cousins AND engaged eh? Saw this coming actually.

This episode taught me to use "I won't buy it" for any math problem involving money that I don't know.
Pretty much.

Those uweeeeeeh's and hanyans are the stuff that kills people. Very very dangerous.
They very much are. Dangerous stuff.

BluWacky

I've been doing a bit of rewatching (and some newer shows) while I wait to get internet up and running properly and see if I'm able to access Crunchyroll etc. from behind a school firewall. In the meantime, the wonders of mobile phone wireless hotspots will have to do.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 1

I am determined to enjoy a shounen fight show some day, so I thought I'd give this a try. I don't care for the brash characterisation as usual but I like some of the ideas in this show (well, I like Gon's fishing rod!). Very early days yet so I'll continue to give it a shot.

Kimi ni Todoke 1-4

I don't know why I stopped watching this show when it originally aired. Sawako is frustratingly endearing - this is the kind of social awkwardness I can relate to, rather than the grotesqueries of Watamote - and the show is directed with a delightfully light touch.

While I wish the show had a little more visual inventiveness and perhaps a more sophisticated visual/literary language like Honey and Clover (and the OP/ED, which are both wonderful) I'm enjoying this a lot.

Why am I so much more tolerant of navel-gazing slowjo dialogue than declamatory shounen nonsense?

Dennou Coil 1

Man, this show is just as great as it was when it first aired - the animation and writing are just as delightful as ever, and the CG really hasn't aged at all. Oh Iso, please come back to us...

Plus you pick up on a few bits and pieces on a rewatch that you wouldn't otherwise - for instance,
Tamako is sat in a cafe across the street from Yasako and Kyouko at one point

I wonder how I'll feel about the second half when I get there this time. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time round but can't deny it's very different from the episodic stuff I'll get to shortly, but it's not as if the show gives no clues to any of it early on.

Fate/Zero 1

I am determined to like this show. I have watched the first episode 3 times now and I hate it less each time, but I still have virtually no idea who anyone is. I will prevail!

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

I already like this show. But I've never actually finished it. Starting at the beginning...again... I can never remember how far I actually got, though, what with all the Cardcaptors episodes I watched (less edited over here than it was in the States) and all the aborted restarts I've gone through.

(and in non-anime news Rubicon was cancelled way too soon and the original Danish/Swedish version of The Bridge is acebest)

Mature

Fate/Zero 1

I am determined to like this show. I have watched the first episode 3 times now and I hate it less each time, but I still have virtually no idea who anyone is. I will prevail!
Exactly my situation, haha. That first episode couldn't be more of a turn off for me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe I'll actually go to a con for the first time in, well, ever if I have the cash for a couple of hotel nights by January. This looks to be the closest one to me of any significant size. Seraphis Cain, you're from Columbus, right? You ever been?

oh god @ the theme. time to start working on my cosplay

Branduil

Fate/Zero 1

I'm sure it will be easier once you move on to episodes that are actually good.

Mature

Maybe I'll actually go to a con for the first time in, well, ever if I have the cash for a couple of hotel nights by January. This looks to be the closest one to me of any significant size. Seraphis Cain, you're from Columbus, right? You ever been?

Give it a whirl, they're fun. Though, honestly, I've enjoyed myself much more at bigger events than at lower scale ones (which is what Ohayocon appears to be). Then again, I have the convenience of being less than an hour from the convention centers Anime-Expo is usually held at.

cajunator

Banned
Exactly my situation, haha. That first episode couldn't be more of a turn off for me.

I actually enjoyed the first episode. Except for...THAT part.

You got some legit large anime cons nearby. You are lucky. Mechacon is a lot more expensive now that its in New Orleans.

Wow, Ojamajo Doremi 16 is so easier to read than the Jinrui light novel.
And Doremi told her hairstyle name is chignon. Did you know?
- I didn't - .

Why am I so much more tolerant of navel-gazing slowjo dialogue than declamatory shounen nonsense?

I can't answer for you, but it's easy for me to see how the soft introspection of shoujo dialogue would be more naturally appealing than the in-your-face extroversion of shounen writing.

Fate/Zero 1

You should probably just watch further episodes instead of rewatching the first. They'll be easier to follow.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Silver Spoon Episodes 1-6

Another great agricultural school anime to add to the list. We are 2/2 now with Moyashimon.

I'm liking this a lot. It is really funny. The part where everyone was freaking out about the pizza was hilarious.

Don't eat Pork Bowl!

I wish all the cons around here weren't all between April and August.

I would go to Japan Expo this weekend but none of the events are worthwhile on the only day I'm going. :\

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Give it a whirl, they're fun. Though, honestly, I've enjoyed myself much more at bigger events than at lower scale ones (which is what Ohayocon appears to be). Then again, I have the convenience of being less than an hour from the convention centers Anime-Expo is usually held at.

you know, out of curiosity for how small con events compare to large con events I looked at the 2013 program, and some of these panels, man...it's like paying to physically immerse yourself in the worst of MAL and tumblr.

a7uWnIn.png

I might just save up for Otakon or something because the subject matter for most of these Ohayocon events are pretty cringeworthy on the whole. case in point

you know, out of curiosity for how small con events compare to large con events I looked at the 2013 program, and some of these panels, man...it's like paying to physically immerse yourself in the worst of MAL and tumblr.

a7uWnIn.png

I might just save up for Otakon or something because the subject matter for most of these Ohayocon events are pretty cringeworthy on the whole. case in point

Go for the best and aim for AX next year!

Yama no Susume

Within its short time frame, this is able to accomplish a fair deal. There's a simple but complete character arc for the protagonist, the three other girls get fleshed out enough to have multiple facets to them, and it's effective propaganda for mountaineering - even though they never really got beyond light hiking. It managed to cover technical details about climbing, show off the natural beauty that motivates people to climb, and wrap everything up into a heartwarming package of budding friendship. Despite only adapting about a volume of an ongoing manga, it felt more or less complete both within each individual episode and as an overall series.

It's certainly the most attractive 3 minute show I've seen. The character designs look good both animated and in stills, and the art design is well realized. I particularly enjoy the pastel colors which gave the whole thing a soothing atmosphere.

zxBfba8.jpg

This shot shows off several of the positive qualities of the art. It would have been easy enough to use cut-and-paste to create this wall of backpacks, but the artist declined to do so, instead giving each one a unique color and unique aspects to their design - different straps, different pockets, different tag locations, and so on. It makes for a warm and inviting scene.

The nudity in the OVA episode felt at odds with the rest of the show, but I suppose the staff felt they had to put some fanservice in an OVA.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter X Hunter (2011) 1

I am determined to enjoy a shounen fight show some day, so I thought I'd give this a try. I don't care for the brash characterisation as usual but I like some of the ideas in this show (well, I like Gon's fishing rod!). Very early days yet so I'll continue to give it a shot.

Yeah! Stick with this one! It starts out pretty decent, and only gets better.

(and in non-anime news Rubicon was cancelled way too soon and the original Danish/Swedish version of The Bridge is acebest)

...And now I have learned that there is an American version of The Bridge. Dammit, America, I actually enjoyed that show. Why must you take all the good things and ruin them with...Americanness.

Yes! Precure 5 - 24

Well, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the power of friendship saved the day. And dreams! The power of dreams is also important. People who have dreams should never have to abandon them - Hachiken taught me that. Wait, wrong show.

At first I was a little disappointed to see that the nightmare masks had turned into
a pretty standard lotus-eater machine setup, where everyone was trapped inside a world of satisfaction. It seemed like a bit of a step down from the actual, you know, nightmares that they had presented the Cures with last episode.

But thematically, it actually turned out to work pretty well, because the conflict here isn't about happiness versus sadness, it's about hope versus despair - active striving towards goals versus passive acceptance of reality. So it's quite fitting that after breaking the Cures mentally, the masks left them in a world that they could passively accept, seemingly pleasant enough on the surface, but devoid of all hope and dreams. Unlike the usual lotus-eater machine setup, the Cures weren't staying there because they were truly happy with this fake world, but because they'd lost the will to strive for anything better. Lord knows the EMPTY EYES OF CREEPINESS made that awfully clear.

Anyway, once the Cures escaped through the expected means, it was back to fight the monsterified mantis-man! And Kawarino even gave him a bit of extra monsterification, just for good measure. (The show is really hyping up this Kawarino guy, by the way. Apparently his power is on a whole different level from the rest of the bad guys we've met. Works for me, because he's sure creepy enough to warrant it.)

So how do the Cures beat an extra-monstrous monster mantis? That's right, it's POWER-UP TIME of course! So the power of Milk's friendship or hope or whatever summons what I can only reasonably describe as a GIANT BUTTERFLY MECH-PLANE of RAINBOWS AND SHININESS (buy our merchandise buy it all) that defeats the enemy by DIVEBOMBING STRAIGHT INTO IT (with all five Cures on board, natch). Well, that was unsubtle! Not complaining here!

So all's well that ends well. Send more bad guys so we can divebomb them too, please.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Servant x Service 8

Another really good episode, though little of note happened until the last few minutes.

Wonder if the final episode is going to be Lucy and Hasebe's date. Probably will be.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 1[/b]

Hunter x Hunter is relatively unremarkable at the beginning, not doing much to either stand out from the pack by being unique or consistently use the genre's tropes super well. However, that changes after the first few arcs. It stops looking like a relatively standard shounen with identity issues and begins to resemble something more akin to a deconstruction of the genre. It's pretty great when that happens.

So yeah, try to tough it out for 10 episodes or so if you can.

cajunator

Banned
Actually it is, she even call it odango hair, I mean chignon style.

Oh ok thanks.

a7uWnIn.png

Tiff Is a sweetie. Met her several times since ADV is in Houston and not far from here. Eventwise im not sure whats here yet. I mainly check out artist alley and the dealers room with not much time to do anything else but im booked in a room till sunday noon so I can do whatever with no rush.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 25

"Pretty witchy Pop-chi" doesn't really sound right. But oh well. Pop's a witch, and that's all that matters.

Servant x Service - 08

The balance of power has shifted !

This will be some pretty impressive event when "that" happens.

what the heck was that end , anyway ?

cnet128

Banned
Stella C3-bu - 8

Dammit Yura.

Even accounting for what happened at the end, Yura is still incredibly awesome. She's super-cute in general, just like she's always been, but when she gets serious, she gets deadly serious. And when Yura gets deadly serious, people get their asses handed to them. I may have actually swooned when she pulled the gun on that imposter Karira. Hnnnnnnnng Yura you are goddess.

But then she just has to go and screw it up. I mean, it was obvious that something like that was going to happen, all the "Yura-going-to-the-dark-side" flags were pointing to it, but even so, when the bullet hit her, I was inwardly screaming at the screen "JUST SAY HIT. JUST SAY HIT AND EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY." But of course she didn't, and Stella won the tournament by cheating. Official victory won, moral victory thrown in the goddamn dirt.

I'm a little apprehensive to see what happens next. What I'm hoping for is Yura admitting what she did, owning up to the officials and forfeiting the tournament. Because the sooner she turns around, the easier her redemption is going to be. It would be a perfectly reasonable direction for the story to take, because the loss would still be an awful shock for the rest of the team after they thought they'd won, and it would still be pretty difficult for Yura to make up to them for what she did. But she would have at least done the right thing in the end.

After that ominous satisfied-sounding "I won" at the end, though, I'm not expecting that to happen at all. No, Yura's going to keep her silence. The question is, how will the truth about what she did come out? The first possibility is that the officials organising the tournament will spot what happened while reviewing the video footage, and Stella will be stripped of their title in disgrace, putting Yura in the most shameful position possible. I can totally see this one happening.

The other possibility is that the truth won't come out, at least not immediately, and Yura will have to live with the knowledge of her guilt (and the knowledge that Rin knows). This is possibly the worst option of all, since it means there will be no redemption for Yura at all in the short term - her guilt will inevitably worsen the tension between her and the rest of the group, and she may even continue further down the path of valuing victory above all else. Which, in case you didn't get the memo, is bad bad bad. And then the truth will inevitably come out eventually, be it from Rin, from Yura herself, or from some other source, at which point the group may well disown Yura outright, and worse, the whole team will have to live with the guilt of holding onto a winners' trophy they didn't deserve for all that time.

Basically, nothing good can come of any of these possibilities.

But I'm still itching to see the next episode and witness the horrible fallout.

And Yura, I still love you. See the light soon, please, for your own sake.

Outside of Yura-talk, I think Rento deserves a mention for all her efforts keeping the team's spirits up this episode. She really is a wonderful character. I'm actually having trouble deciding who's best girl now between Rento (for the gorgeous looks, amazing voice and delicious positive attitude), Yura (for the heart-melting combination of cute and badass, plus lolDRAMA), or Sonora (for the wonderful leadership and the Miyukichi). Hmmmmmmmmmm.

e_i

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku episode 7

Nothing happened because this show got delayed again for a week. I guess this show will finish by December.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

a7uWnIn.png

Now you know why I don't even think about going to cons in South Dakota or Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom