• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Original Gundam just came out on Blu-Ray I guess. Did anyone happen to bite on that set? I'm thinking about it, but I'm wondering about the PQ.

So, I've been reading the first Rozen Maiden manga so i can jump into the anime and I've been wondering just how different the original anime series are and if they're actually worth checking out?

Haven't read the manga, but the first 2 series aren't bad. They're just pretty unremarkable. I do know the anime goes in its own direction, but I'm not sure if that happens during season 1 or 2.

Articalys

Spot o' news for Phi Brain S3. Hopefully it'll be as good (i.e. creative puzzles) as the first several episodes of S2 were before it started getting worse.
epDhRxf.jpg
OP song is by another popular niconico singer, appropriately named neko (who, like nano before him, also knows English). ED song is for the first time a cast song with the main five characters (Kaito, Nonoha, Gammon, Cubic, Ana) singing.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 27, 28, 29

Nothing is original in Precure anymore. That doesn't mean it can't still be fun to watch though, even when the plot chugs.

Spot o' news for Phi Brain S3. Hopefully it'll be as good (i.e. creative puzzles) as the first several episodes of S2 were before it started getting worse.

OP song is by another popular niconico singer, appropriately named neko (who, like nano before him, also knows English). ED song is for the first time a cast song with the main five characters (Kaito, Nonoha, Gammon, Cubic, Ana) singing.

Freecell spotted (yeah ) , rock spotted ( yeah ) ..Melancholy spotted !! ( that's a surprise )

Hyped for season 3 like no tomorrow.

Best news all day, hopefully ed 2 is a dream team character song kaito, rook, and freecell.

Andrew J.

Watamote 08

Tomoko's biggest problem, more than shyness, misanthropy, or perversion, is that she just isn't very smart.

Rie Kugimiya actually sounds really cute when she's playing an actual little girl instead of bitter, underdeveloped high schooler.

Hidamari Sketch Sae & Hiro Graduation Chapter OVA release confirmed for November 27.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00ESY3FD8/

The two episodes are:

Februrary 1 - February 20 -- Exam Sketch
Februrary 28 - March 1 -- Graduation Sketch

Three more months until INFINITE SADNESS. I can only assume Ume-sensei is still continuing the manga since the graduation already happened there, but I can only wonder how long.

Guess I'll be on the lookout for the OP.

Weekly Blu-ray Sales Rankings August 19-25 (informally formatted list)
Code:
*1, 28,876 28,876 Attack on Titan vol.2
*2, 11,370 11,370 Oreimo S2 vol.3
*3, *5,647 *5,647 Anohana Blu-ray Box
*4, *5,358 *5,358 Star Driver the Movie
*5, *3,413 *3,413 Valvrave the Liberator vol.3
*6, *3,402 *3,402 Muromi-san vol.3
*7, *3,268 *3,268 Saki Episode of Side A vol.10 (Special Episode #16)
*8, *2,986 *2,986 Brothers Conflict vol.1
*9, *2,823 *2,823 Tamako Market vol.6
10, *2,798 *2,798 Servant x Service vol.1
12, *2,767 *2,767 Majestic Prince vol.3
15, *2,141 *2,141 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha vol.6
16, *1,940 *1,940 Oreshura vol.7
19, *1,531 45,539 Attack on Titan vol.1
20, *1,504 *1,504 Magi vol.9
Weekly DVD Sales Rankings August 19-25 (informally formatted list)
Code:
*1, 14,217 *,*14,217 Attack on Titan vol.2
*2, 14,147 *,*14,147 One Piece Log Collection "ROOKIES"
*3, *6,923 *,**6,923 Brothers Conflict vol.1
*6, *2,196 *,**2,196 Magi vol.9
*8, *1,641 *,**1,641 Oreimo S2 vol.3
10, *1,445 1,205,783 My Neighbor Totoro
11, *1,440 *,**1,440 Servant x Service vol.1
13, *1,184 *,**1,184 Star Driver the Movie
15, *1,118 *,*26,121 Attack on Titan vol.1
16, **,965 *,*55,969 One Piece Film Z
17, **,922 *,***,922 Valvrave the Liberator vol.3
20, **,770 *,*60,652 One Piece Film Z Greatest Armored Edition
21, **,745 *,513,047 Kiki's Delivery Service
23, **,721 *,***,721 Devil Survivor 2 The Animation vol.3
28, **,563 *,174,285 Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo
30, **,546 *,357,849 Princess Mononoke
(will replace with something's lists in the morning)

Why is it that EVA is the only non Ghibli series able to do numbers in the hundreds of thousands? Or am I not seeing the whole picture? Surely there are more like the popular shounen?

Articalys

Why is it that EVA is the only non Ghibli series able to do numbers in the hundreds of thousands? Or am I not seeing the whole picture? Surely there are more like the popular shounen?
Funny you just quoted that, I just replaced that sales ranking post with something's better-formatted lists. More observations:

- Muromi-san final average: 3,732 BDs across 3 volumes

- Tamako Market final average: 3,684 BD+DVD across 6 volumes

- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha final average: 2,647 BD+DVD across 6 volumes

- Oreshura final average: 3,838 BD+DVD across 7 volumes, about 2,700 if you ignore the first volume (which was boosted by both discount price and an event ticket. Just goes to show how v1 is not always representative of a series' true strength)

And as a bonus, the hilarious decline of Magi sales (vol. #, first week sales, total sales, release date, combined BD+DVD total of each vol):

Watamote - 08

Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch!
Fucking Kii-chan...I think I need more Rie in my life...how is she doing in Doki Doki Precure?

Articalys

And a separate post for music sales:

New CD Single August 19-25
*9, 20,373 *20,373 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S OP "eternal reality"
11, 15,221 *15,221 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G : Character Song 4 Tsubasa "Gekkou no Tsurugi"
12, 15,169 *15,169 Shingeki no Kyojin ED "great escape"
18, 10,375 *10,375 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. Movie theme song "Circle Game"
20, *8,137 **8,137 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S ED "Links"
28, *4,561 **4,561 Gatchaman Crowds OP "Crowds"
30, *4,513 **4,513 Tanken Driland: 1000-nen no Mahou ED "Blessing Card"
37, *3,748 **3,748 Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live ED "§Rainbow"
40, *3,119 **3,119 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS : Character Songs - Keishin Gakuen Shotoubu Joshi Mini-Basketball-bu 5nensei Team "Gekyuusei Groove!"
45, *2,472 **2,472 Karneval : Character Songs Vol.5 Gareki (Kamiya Hiroshi) "Reach for the Sky"
53, *1,958 **1,958 Uchuu Kyoudai OP "Crater"
58, *1,867 **1,867 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince OP "Prompt"
61, *1,691 **1,691 Highschool DxD New OP "Gekijouron"
72, *1,273 **1,273 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince ED "Arigatou. Tadaima / Bokutachi wa Ikiteiru"
78, *1,136 **1,136 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai : CharaCD.9 Kujou Tsukiyo starring Iguchi Yuuka "Tsuki no Yoru ni Aimashou"

LordCanti

I would like to get it at least as a collector's item, but it's waaaay out of budget.

And speaking of out of budget...

DO WANT.

$300 is pretty steep, but if the PQ is up to snuff, it might be worth it. The chances of us ever getting it in the US are so slim that I'm not holding my breath.

Is it three times faster than a regular Auris?

That video is pretty damn sweet

cnet128

Banned
Inu to Hasami 9

Natsuno is dere-ing it up all over the place, but that's nothing new at this point. What is new is
an old schoolmate (osananajimi?) of dogboy's figuring out his TRUE IDENTITY
. Well, okay, that's kind of already been done with
his sister, but it might actually be for reals this time!

LordCanti

I can only imagine that if this Auris had an Amuro/RX-78 themed counterpart that the navi would have to be Bright Noa and a constant stream of criticism.

The car would literally just deploy the airbag directly into your face whenever you did something that would upset Bright (tailgating, swerving, etc).

Soma

That feeling when catching up on weeks worth of anime in a few days. Feels good.

Blue Exorcist Movie
Shinji Kimura should just do background work for every anime ever. The attention to detail, the unique style and color work brought together really captures that city-wide festival atmosphere. All these elements coupled with very imaginative monster designs makes for a hell of a standout film. Even outside the art direction, the rest of the movie is very solid. It does a great job at establishing each important character and never leaves the viewer confused as to who is who. It's a good example of something I can show to a friend who hasn't even heard of the series and they'd be able to grasp the already established relationships easily.

The plot is simple but didn't stop it from being engaging. The dynamic between Rin and Usamaro was really heartwarming and even if the ending was a bit predictable given all the foreshadowing from the very start, it definitely tugged on those heart strings.

Really enjoyed this and is so far probably one of the best anime films I've watched this year right up there with The Garden of Words and (but not quite as high as) Wolf Children.

Silver Spoon
Just like the manga, the show just gets better and better as it progresses. The cheap production values does hurt it from an animation standpoint but all the core lessons from the manga are still there. The supporting characters are just as entertaining and charming in this adaption and Hachiken's slow but subtle growth is well portrayed here.

The anime seems to be moving at a rather brisk pace which is good in that it never feels like its dragging its heels and each scene never feels wasted. Yet as a result, there are few minor yet noticeable character interactions from the manga that have been removed to fit the allocated time length. It''s really a non-issue though, since the viewer eventually gets the same message in the end. So far, while it hasn't been the best looking adaption the show really does have a lot of heart and there's usually something to be taken away after each episode.

Love Lab
I find it hard to hold back laughter after each episode, I swear. The slapstick comedy combined with a charming main cast with wonderful chemistry and the occasional awesome animation values makes this one of my favorites of the season. Maki (and by extension Makio) is truly the star of the show for me. Her hilarious lack of tact and cluelessness leaves me in stitches. The rest of the cast isn't bad at all, even Suzu, who is definitely the weakest link in the main cast, has her moments sometimes too.

The last scene in the latest episode was a bit of a buzzkill but given how swiftly the show seems to deal with drama scenarios I don't believe it'll be an issue.

tl;dr - Blue > Green > Orange > Eyebrows > Brown

Uchouten Kazuko
This anime is definitely something else and continues to be the show of the season for me. The art direction and atmosphere in this show remains to be consistently amazing. This story is getting into a much weirder moral middle-ground than I thought it would be going in. It's interesting seeing all the details slowly start to unfold regarding the father. Benten remains as elusive and mysterious as ever and the cast is so quirky and interesting in their own ways.

I can definitely see this show somewhere in my top of the year list if it remains to be this consistent to the end.

Monogatari S2
Not a whole lot to say here. The show hasn't really been breaking any new ground and it doesn't seem likely that it'll reach the highs of the very first season but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this new arc. I'm a sucker for most things time-travel related and more Shinobu is always a plus, imo.

Araragi is still one of my favorite protagonists in anime with all his creepiness.

Decided on a whim to listen to the latest ANNCast. Lots of manga talk, but when the discussion gets to Attack on Titan, Zach praises the anime for being well paced.

Yep. Can't exactly say I agree, but to each their own.

Senyu 22

The hero arrives... wait

Fantasista Doll 7

I wish the fights in this show didn't feel as shallow as they are. You have 5 on 5 magic girls fighting each other with magic cards to boost their effects. Main character tank was pretty funny though.

Watamote 8

Oh god. I can't. I just can't.

Tomoko why you do these thiiiiiiiiings

The part with
Tomoko's ruse completely blowing up in her face in front of Kii
was definitely pushing it. I'm not sure it's possible to cringe harder at something.

It made me recall the chorus to "Just" by Radiohead.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What is this show actually about? lol

This is the premise

God: Hello.... Hello Is this thing on? *Taps Mic*

God: Hello everyone on Earth. So basically I kind of fucked up. I don't know how to say this but Heaven is nearing full capacity and so is hell. Apparently I didn't reserve enough space lol. So basically I'm going to make it so everyone doesn't die even if they are killed. Sorry about this one. Peace. Also no one can have children anymore, sorry.

Jl0eYx2l.jpg

I am still baffled at how "bitch" became "slut" in Japan.
(I suppose you could also have a debate about how it should be subbed here. All according to keikau).

It might have something to do with Bitch being a female dog. Bitch in heat. Slut.

Theonik

When dresden spoke of his great purge, it wasn't accounts he was after but users themselves. It'll only get slower from here on out as active members suddenly stop posting.
There's a manga/anime just waiting to happen there.
Forum posting neet notices that many members in a board he frequents have recently stopped posting. He makes a thread on the board asking if anyone knows what's up jokingly saying they were attacked by demons. Many people post in his thread overnight and wwwwwwww. The thread dies eventually and he forgets the event until one faithful day a mysterious girl visits his home. At first he has no idea who that girl is but is intrigued by the good looks that girl possess decides to hear her out.
She reveals that she read his thread and tracked him down as she felt that he like her must be one of the chosen ones that can see the demons. He decides to play along, when a demon attacks his house and he defeats him with the help of that mysterious girl.
It will be great!

Attack on Butts 20
Should I suffer through this once more?

Is it 3 times faster than a regular Auris?
Dammit beaten but whatever

Is it three times faster than a regular Auris?
They DID paint it red.

Novid

Banned
This is the premise

God: Hello.... Hello Is this thing on? *Taps Mic*

God: Hello everyone on Earth. So basically I kind of fucked up. I don't know how to say this but Heaven is nearing full capacity and so is hell. Apparently I didn't reserve enough space lol. So basically I'm going to make it so everyone doesn't die even if they are killed. Sorry about this one. Peace. Also no one can have children anymore, sorry.

It might have something to do with Bitch being a female dog. Bitch in heat. Slut.

doesn't really work that way. The word they looking for is ratchet but most subbers are idiots anyway...

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 30

With all five Cures having had a focus episode each to obtain their new powerups (even if a couple of them had their spotlight stolen somewhat...), it's time for new developments! Arachnea is determined to defeat the Cures if it's the last thing she does, and despite some surprisingly heartfelt objection from bee-boss-dude, she obtains a Black Mask from Kawarino and goes to make her final stand.

Meanwhile Nozomi and Milk are having a fight. Which of course means that they're going to end up the bestest of friends by the end of the episode, and sure enough, after a little pep talk from her Designated Cure Companion Karen, Milk works up the courage to be honest with Nozomi and tell her that she likes her really and believes in her. Aww, how sweet.

And when Milk gets a Power Of Friendship scene, we know what that means! IT'S DIVEBOMBING TIME! So long, Arachnea. That's two villains down, and just two to go, I suppose. Bee-boss-dude, and toadboy. Not counting Kawarino and Desperaia herself, who haven't done any actual battling yet, but are both presumably going to get in on the action at some point.

Jex

Decided on a whim to listen to the latest ANNCast. Lots of manga talk, but when the discussion gets to Attack on Titan, Zach praises the anime for being well paced.

Yep. Can't exactly say I agree, but to each their own.

Dear lord. Zach has to Zach, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom