• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Zach fellow shames the name.

Kamichu 1

ibiVhYq854C3Jo.jpg

This was pretty strange, though I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time I was watching this. Whatever the reason, this town seems to have some sort of mythical creatures wandering around without a care in the world and people becoming gods is not really that surprising, it sort of reminds me of a Ghibli-esque setting. The animation in some scenes were pretty damn fluid which may or may not be maintained since this was the first episode. I think I'm really going to dig the rest of this show, especially if it does a good amount of world building like a Sora no Woto or a Haibane Renmei.

/XX/

A thing that caught my eye about the JoJo 2000 OVA, Skywalker sound is actually credited in the opening curiously enough. That's something I haven't seen in anime a lot.
I saw Skywalker Sound in anime credits just recently; they worked on 009 Re:Cyborg.
Yeah, and for Sky Crawlers too... in fact, all three works were handled by the very same Tom Myers.

Regarding the recent talk about Evangelion, I've seen it a few times where people mention watching the "Director's Cut" version of episodes 21-24. They have what seems to be some added footage from the "Death" movie that wasn't in the original release. Taking a look as far as western releases and there was an 8 DVD set by ADV Films and then the most recent release looks like a DVD boxset called the "Platinum Edition" by A.D. Vision.

Does the earlier ADV Films release not have the directors cut versions where the A.D. Visions release does? or does the A.D. Visions release contain both and people are just recommending that people prioritize more the directors cut versions or something?
A.D Vision & ADV Films have been sometimes used as totally interchangeable names between the main administrative and retail/publishing arms of the same company respectively, so I won't get into that... but, basically, true scholar MDWigs says everything you need to know about the beginning of that mess:

Wigs said:
The 26 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion were first aired on Japanese TV in 1995-1996. When they were screened the first time on TV the episodes had to be slightly altered to remove some actual brand names and “sexual content” (it was screened after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after all). Gainax also wanted to have 30-second previews of each episode, but had to shorten them to 15-second ones.
The Japanese videos of the series were then released one after another. Each video or Laser Disc contained 2 episodes and was named "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Genesis 0:01, Genesis 0:02, Genesis 0:03, etc...". These videos featured the Evangelion Episodes the way they were supposed to be in the first place, i.e. they had 30-second previews, actual brand names, added “sexual content” etc…

However Anno Hideaki decided to slightly improve the quality of episodes 21 to 24 as well as adding new scenes. He also decided to remake entirely episodes 25 and 26 for this video release (he thought that he "owed" this to the Gainax staff, since he took complete control of the last two TV episodes).

So the video release came to a stop with "Genesis 0:10", which contained Episodes 19 and 20, because they had to work on redoing episodes 21 to 24 to get them ready for video release, they also has to work on the movies! Hideaki Anno’s idea to redo the last two episodes eventually spawned ”Evangelion: Death and Rebirth”, ”The End of Evangelion” and finally ”Revival of Evangelion”.

Now at this point (when the Japanese Video Releases stopped), AD Vision bought the rights to English Dub and release the TV series. They released episodes 1 to 20 of the Japanese Video Version but they didn't want to wait until the completion of the Redone Evangelion Episodes 21 to 24 by Gainax, so they released the TV Version of episodes 21 to 26.

This is where the problem lies. The Redone Evangelion Episodes are available on LD, VHS and DVD in Japan but are unavailable in other parts of the world. Most English speaking people have seen the ADV dub of Evangelion. They have seen “outdated” versions of Episodes 21 to 24 and thus when they hear about these extra scenes they instinctively think that they were cut from the versions that have seen. This is not the case. These extra scenes had not even been made when AD Vision bought and released its tapes. Don’t blame Gainax because you are missing out on about 15 minutes of extra Eva goodness, blame AD Vision for not having any patience.

Now over in Japan Gainax finally released “Genesis 0.11” and “Genesis 0.12”. They contained the redone episodes 21 to 24, improved and with added scenes. Some of these added scenes were featured in ”Evangelion: Death and Rebirth“ so if you can’t get a copy of the redone episodes, try and get a copy of Evangelion: Death. The added scenes are worth seeing, they provides a lot of information you otherwise wouldn’t find out.
http://everything2.com/title/Redone+Evangelion+Episodes

This situation obliged A.D Vision (or ADV Films) to later work on both DVD releases of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Directors' Cut: Resurrection substituting their own previous 7th DVD of the old TV version from before the late Japanese releases of Genesis 0:11 & Genesis 0:12 incorporated the "Directors' Cut", correctly called 'New Video Edition', scenes of episodes 21 to 24 made for EVANGELION: DEATH, and NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Directors' Cut: Genesis Reborn in turn also substituting their own previous 8th DVD of the old TV version, this one without changes (no slight changes or old LD 'video edition' credits for 25' and 26' like in the Japanese Genesis 0:13 & Genesis 0:14 ones).

But all doesn't matter that much after in Japan the RENEWAL OF EVANGELION project came into play, which spawned the Platinum Edition DVD versions of some western releases. These incorporate the new digital master of all the series including the "Directors' Cut" episodes anyway (plus the 'feature film' EVANGELION: DEATH(TRUE)² and Air/My Purest Heart, For You in edits as seen since REVIVAL OF EVANGELION), whose are the definitive ones for the moment.

So, to finally answer your question, the "Platinum Edition" you mention has both the 'On Air' and "Directors' Cut"/'New Video Edition' versions, so people recommend the later more expanded one most of the time.

Actually, regarding Gunbuster, I asked about the recent Bluray release a few months ago now I guess. Taking another look at it and it lists updates to the sound and picture like one would probably expect but also an "untrimmed" version of episode 6. Does anyone know what this means? Was some footage cut or do they mean it was originally made in one aspect ratio but has been usually released in another?
Your second assumption is spot-on. It is the non-cropped, 4:3 version of episode 6 that the 'Renewal' Aim for the Top! Gunbuster DVD-BOX also featured... catalina (@ginban_catalina) already made comparison screenshots from the BD-BOX transfer, visible here the cropped 16:9 and here the 4:3 one.

It mentions having the previous specials, like the one detailing the mass produced "Sizzler" units, but mentions adding a brand new special as well. Does anyone know what this new special is about?
That "short video" announced at first was a new (well, two new) 'Space Lessons', instead of extra shorts from the 'Renewal' Aim for the Top! Gunbuster edition that you are probably referring to here (these ones, right?). Not too long ago, 4Chan's /m/ resident Nomake Wan made another translation for these new 'Space Lessons' worth taking into account:

Gunbuster 'Kaettekita Kagaku Kouza' English TL - Pastebin.com
http://pastebin.com/FYjLYF2N

Anyway, still behind with 20 pages of the thread for me to read now... maybe someone answered you already!

So I suddenly acquired a laserdisc player today. Are there any English-language anime LD releases worth owning as a curiosity?
I've been keeping an eye on this beauty since months ago, even when I don't use LaserDisc anymore! For U.S.A. releases something like The Criterion Collection's AKIRA on its CAV edition would be something to value greatly nowadays, but as good pal and music-savvy amishpriest99 mentioned with the 'disc rot' plague, being first and foremost wary of each disc pack press factory involved in the manufacturing is a must to avoid such lottery.

faridmon

Decided on a whim to listen to the latest ANNCast. Lots of manga talk, but when the discussion gets to Attack on Titan, Zach praises the anime for being well paced.

Yep. Can't exactly say I agree, but to each their own.

I personally think its a terrible postcast that lacks the charisma and the quality to make up for its poor taste in Anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is the premise

God: Hello.... Hello Is this thing on? *Taps Mic*

God: Hello everyone on Earth. So basically I kind of fucked up. I don't know how to say this but Heaven is nearing full capacity and so is hell. Apparently I didn't reserve enough space lol. So basically I'm going to make it so everyone doesn't die even if they are killed. Sorry about this one. Peace. Also no one can have children anymore, sorry.
So is it like Preacher and/or Angels in America?

It might have something to do with Bitch being a female dog. Bitch in heat. Slut.

Yeah, but... we already have the word slut... and if they're boring an English word, why not borrow the right one?!

BluWacky

doesn't really work that way. The word they looking for is ratchet but most subbers are idiots anyway...

You've missed the point. She says the word ビッチ, "bicchi". That's what firehawk is querying - why did the Japanese language borrow the word "bitch" but use it to mean "slut".

It takes a very brave subtitler to subtitle an English word as something else when the audience can hear her say it.

Truth be told, I hadn't heard the word "ratchet" used in the slang context of "ghetto" until yesterday. I think they're safer just sticking to "bitch" :p

cajunator

Banned
Sentai has Tamako Market.

Ah ok. Cool then!

the word the subbers are looking for is ratchet. but if course I don't expect Caucasian subbers to get the jist.

I still have no idea...

Meh. fuck Toyota. Burn it.

Watamote 08

Tomoko's biggest problem, more than shyness, misanthropy, or perversion, is that she just isn't very smart.

Rie Kugimiya actually sounds really cute when she's playing an actual little girl instead of bitter, underdeveloped high schooler.

Yes, she actually can be cute when she isnt being tsundere.

Three more months until INFINITE SADNESS. I can only assume Ume-sensei is still continuing the manga since the graduation already happened there, but I can only wonder how long.

If I pretend this doesnt exist and never watch it, then it never ends right :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You've missed the point. She says the word ビッチ, "bicchi". That's what firehawk is querying - why did the Japanese language borrow the word "bitch" but use it to mean "slut".

It takes a very brave subtitler to subtitle an English word as something else when the audience can hear her say it.

Truth be told, I hadn't heard the word "ratchet" used in the slang context of "ghetto" until yesterday. I think they're safer just sticking to "bitch" :p

That's a new one to me too!

Kamichu 1

This was pretty strange, though I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time I was watching this. Whatever the reason, this town seems to have some sort of mythical creatures wandering around without a care in the world and people becoming gods is not really that surprising, it sort of reminds me of a Ghibli-esque setting. The animation in some scenes were pretty damn fluid which may or may not be maintained since this was the first episode. I think I'm really going to dig the rest of this show, especially if it does a good amount of world building like a Sora no Woto or a Haibane Renmei.

Great show, with a couple bad episodes, but overall loved it.

Novid

Banned

This is the major problem with transliteration. Look at the sentence. It ends with bitch but the romanji is bicchi. the way to end that sentence is "a bitch", "a slut", "slutty" , "bitchy (which fits the romanji better) or if you wish to keep the bad sentence, "ratchet".

C85 ? end of december 2013

GET HYPED

Fresh Pretty Cure: 27, 28, 29

Nothing is original in Precure anymore. That doesn't mean it can't still be fun to watch though, even when the plot chugs.

Well it'll start up again at like... 34 or 35 at least. Think you'll get to the episode that gives more reasons that Miki/Cure Berry is a bitch. (so much of a bitch that her figure isn't worth much.)

Yes! Precure 5 - 30

With all five Cures having had a focus episode each to obtain their new powerups (even if a couple of them had their spotlight stolen somewhat...), it's time for new developments! Arachnea is determined to defeat the Cures if it's the last thing she does, and despite some surprisingly heartfelt objection from bee-boss-dude, she obtains a Black Mask from Kawarino and goes to make her final stand.

Meanwhile Nozomi and Milk are having a fight. Which of course means that they're going to end up the bestest of friends by the end of the episode, and sure enough, after a little pep talk from her Designated Cure Companion Karen, Milk works up the courage to be honest with Nozomi and tell her that she likes her really and believes in her. Aww, how sweet.

And when Milk gets a Power Of Friendship scene, we know what that means! IT'S DIVEBOMBING TIME! So long, Arachnea. That's two villains down, and just two to go, I suppose. Bee-boss-dude, and toadboy. Not counting Kawarino and Desperaia herself, who haven't done any actual battling yet, but are both presumably going to get in on the action at some point.

Which reminds me, I don't recall too much with fights, but I don't think dive bombing happens too often. Which is a good thing.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote 8

Oh god. I can't. I just can't.

Tomoko why you do these thiiiiiiiiings

I give Tomoko a lot of credit for at least trying. Maybe she embarrasses the fuck out of herself but she at least gives it a shot.

Kamichu 1

I like having stupid grins on my face. Maybe I will check out Kamichu.

Huh, so that's how Cajun got sick. Gintama, you're so wise.

Oh ok. Makes sense.

Cover art up for Sentai's Kokoro Connect release. Interestingly enough, BD and DVD get different disc art once again.

(via WTK)

Sooooo looking forward to this!

/XX/

Hey /xx/ what do you think of the recent... apathy of your team Real Madrid? Also what do you make of the whole Bale debacle?
Intensity is something I was precisely expecting to see more thanks to the booming young 'canteranos' and the new-found appreciation for them as seen from the top executives (long forgotten the 'Zidanes y Pavones' philosophy). Someone like Morata personifies that with the constant work he offers all the minutes of play they sometimes give to him. I want Mr. Ancelotti to keep rotating players as tests like in the pre-season to stir things up now and then... people take too much for granted sometimes on this club.

Also, let me use just this time as a excuse that having both our great Xabi Alonso (I love you, man... always) AND also its "disciple" Illarramendi out has impaired us a lot on this beginning when establishing a strong and secure midfield backbone to support a further refining (and tuning-in) of the attackers pass plays is essential.

For this Bale thing, I'll just say that I'm already accustomed to this wearing-out and letting-the-player-make-the-move tactic that Florentino Pérez likes to use... Karembeu, Ronaldo (the good ol' one not the fake one, as someone I know would say here), Drenthe (remember Drenthe?) and more examples of rebellious players that their respective clubs had to let them go, even 'in extremis' at the very end of the transfer window period. I think he will end up here.

But I'm worried it will be for that truly obscene amount of money, though... :-/

cnet128

Banned
Yeah, but... we already have the word slut... and if they're boring an English word, why not borrow the right one?!

Because the Japanese language doesn't give two shits what English words actually mean in English? =p They probably just thought "bitch" had a better ring to it!

This is the major problem with transliteration. Look at the sentence. It ends with bitch but the romanji is bicchi. the way to end that sentence is "a bitch", "a slut", "slutty" , "bitchy (which fits the romanji better) or if you wish to keep the bad sentence, "ratchet".

"Bitchy" fitting the romaji better is just plain inaccurate. If that was the word they meant, it would have a long vowel at the end. "Bicchi" is an entirely standard katakana-isation of "bitch".

And yes, this particular loanword is very well established in Japanese with the meaning of "slut". Trust me...I've read more than enough doujins to know >.>

Which reminds me, I don't recall too much with fights, but I don't think dive bombing happens too often. Which is a good thing.

So far at least, it's been reserved for the two instances of taking out a major villain. That shit's too fabulous to be wasted on boring Kowaina.

Yes! Precure 5 - 31

Nozomi-Coco shipping episode! Coco has been getting love letters from half the girls in the school, but hasn't told anyone about it. So when Nozomi finds out, she's pretty shocked and upset, and the two of them have a falling out. Nobody brings up exactly why Nozomi is so hurt by this when all the other girls are totally fine with it, but I think it's pretty obvious to anyone with more than two brain cells.

Meanwhile, somebody figured out that the whole "evil organisation" setup doesn't really work any more when bee-boss-dude only has one named subordinate left, and that's the part-timer who never actually reports in anyway. So his whole department is disbanded, and he's demoted to flunkie in a different department, which comes complete with a couple new villains of its own. One is the head of the department, a man named Bloody. Nice name you've got there. The other is a...large woman with an overbearing personality. I believe her "true form" is supposed to be bird-themed, but frankly even with a beak she still looks more like a toad, so "toadbird-woman" it is.

And yes, it's this toadbird-woman who decides to attack the Cures this episode, whereupon it's revealed that she was the one responsible for Coco, Nuts and all the Pinkies becoming separated in the first place. What a bitch. After Nozomi PRECURE CRYSTAL SHOOOOOTs her Kowaina into oblivion and Milk retrieves the Dream Collet she pinched, though, she wisely backs off with her air of superiority intact.

And once all that's over with, Coco and Nozomi have a little heart-to-heart and Nozomi forgives him for not telling her about the love letters (all of which Coco turned down, naturally). The episode ends with the two of them running off together holding hands tightly. What a pair of lovebirds.

I was thinking more like this, personally:

I wonder whether the Crunchyroll subbers actively consider the fact that they're subbing for an international audience? I would guess not, but I can pretty much guarantee that the slang use of "ratchet" would fly over the heads of any non-American English speakers.

It would fly over the heads of most American English speakers. Certainly I'd never heard of this slang before.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 9

Simon's losing his goddamn mind right now. I get it and all, but the others are kinda right in that he needs to get it together unless he wants to get himself and probably the rest of Dai-Gurren killed as well. Yoko feels similarly, but she's still going out and fighting. But Kamina's been Simon's bro since the beginning. What's a man to do without his bro?

Well, it seems he's to acquaint himself with and protect Nia, the daughter of the Spiral King, who was locked in a chest only accessible through Simon's drill key. She's voiced by Hynden Walch in the English dub, so I may check that out at some point.

cajunator

Banned
Also a new Di Gi Charat cover but I didn't want to overload the last post with two different cover arts.

Think the only October cover from them yet to be finalized is Gatchaman.

I love this show. Its adorably crude in a way but pretty fun. Interesting to see it come up again after all these years.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So is it like Preacher and/or Angels in America?

Kind of like would be too strong of a word to use.

The people that don't die still face the affects of having a dead body. Their body starts to decompose and after awhile the brain gets affected. A persons personality will slowly change until we get zombie zombies.

After a little while of people not dying even when they want to, a group of people mysteriously appeared called Gravekeepers. If a gravekeeper buries a dead person, they truly die.

The main character Ai is the daughter of a gravekeeper that passed away. The village made Ai their new gravekeeper. One day a mysterious man named Humpty Humbert visits the village and slaughters all of the villagers.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 − 32

iYuwKuaeD35WK.png

Aaahhhhhhh...how romantic...

idFgtdCWwqrZl.png

"Rin-chan's Happy Wedding!"

ikzzKzqHDO5Ob.png

Must...get...bouquet...!

iJyDss9F2UECO.png

:foreveraRin

...Guys, I'm pretty sure you're just tormenting her on purpose now. Leave the poor girl alone.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The full version of the Watamote OP is weird. Kiba's vocals are the same as the TV-size, but Suzuki Konomi's are a different take from the version used in the show.

jediyoshi

Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat

sUuK1dS.png

Liked most of the plot lines except for Emi's which was a little all over the place. Maybe a little too much fan service and way too many simple misunderstanding scenarios as well.

The last few episodes with Tsukiko's family caught me completely off guard. Was expecting some super cliche
time travel, unknowingly affecting the future by affecting their past selves

I'm a little dense so I didn't see the turn coming until it happened, but I totes started the waterworks when everything came to a head. That little arc was so well realized and touching, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an allusion to some mythology I'm not familiar with.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 10

Yoko seems jealous.

Simon better get Lagann working again. Probably something with his spirit. But he headed out bare-handed to help Nia, so I figure that would count for something. If there's anyone who can
help him get over Kamina's death, it's probably her. She delivered some truth nuggets to Simon, that he is very capable by himself and that he needs to stop relying on a dead person. Focusing on that first part is probably the first part to getting him back on his feet again.

And lol at the end with the general beating the shit out of the guy who saved her because they retreated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kind of like would be too strong of a word to use.

The people that don't die still face the affects of having a dead body. Their body starts to decompose and after awhile the brain gets affected. A persons personality will slowly change until we get zombie zombies.

After a little while of people not dying even when they want to, a group of people mysteriously appeared called Gravekeepers. If a gravekeeper buries a dead person, they truly die.

The main character Ai is the daughter of a gravekeeper that passed away. The village made Ai their new gravekeeper. One day a mysterious man named Humpty Humbert visits the village and slaughters all of the villagers.

Well, I was meaning more in a "fuck you God" kind of way. lol

I wonder whether the Crunchyroll subbers actively consider the fact that they're subbing for an international audience? I would guess not, but I can pretty much guarantee that the slang use of "ratchet" would fly over the heads of any non-American English speakers.

You cant ask them? I was sure one of them posts in this very thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Otona Joshi no Anime Time: Yuuge

Forget about tracing and CGI. So revolutionary. All that real food made me hungry though.

Looks about as natural as Time and Eternity.

So, yeah, I pointed out how weird this looked back then. But the flip side is, you just don't see anime about a woman who feels trapped in a loveless marriage.

Now, you could also argue the politics of a woman who finds joy in cooking - specifically for a man - but in a medium where most female characters are high school girls that exist to be fetish tokens for harem leads, I'll take it. lol

But also, it's the "worst" of the three Otona Joshi animes.

On another note, I hope they do it again next year. This could be like Anime Mirai, but for older women. Or something. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom