• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Watamote Episode 8 - Heart of the Cards Slut Cheater

She's just so dumb, but that isn't the worst part. She is just a terrible person in general

Novid

Banned
Because the Japanese language doesn't give two shits what English words actually mean in English? =p They probably just thought "bitch" had a better ring to it!

"Bitchy" fitting the romaji better is just plain inaccurate. If that was the word they meant, it would have a long vowel at the end. "Bicchi" is an entirely standard katakana-isation of "bitch".

And yes, this particular loanword is very well established in Japanese with the meaning of "slut". Trust me...I've read more than enough doujins to know >.>

then they should have realized they could have used the words slutty or a slut if we going to be "accurate" to the Japanese lone word, but the better word for it "ratchet" because we don't want to use the older conventions of that word slut. It also fits certain aspects of her demeanor.

yami4ct

Revolutionary Girl Utena: END

FInally wrapped this up. Man, I don't know. That show gets real weird pretty much as soon as Akio gets focused on. Thematically, the show is awesome. There's a lot of fantastic stuff going on. Story wise, it's sort of a mess. The last scenes we get with the student council stick out in particular as freaking strange. None of those characters get a closing arc. The way they leave those characters is super unsatisfying, in a seemingly purposeful way.

In fact, a lot of things seem off about this show. The whole thing, especially near the end, feels allegorical in a way that's not just to convey thematics. If all the weird backstory and dueling scenes were supposed to be complex allegories for what's really going on with Anthy and Utena, that'd make a ton of sense. Even throwing that kind of interpretation away, the background themes are certainly far more important than the specific details. The whole show is obviously about
Utena sacrificing herself to free Anthy from Akio's sexual abuse. Her lack of emotions has little to do with being the "Rose Bride" and everything to do with being a coping mechanism

Overall, despite my mixed feelings on where the story itself goes, I still think the show is freaking brilliant. It's so damn ambitious in a way that's rarely seen. The way it subverts genre tropes is fascinating. I cannot wait to sit down and watch the film. I suspect seeing a condensed, reimagined version will help me boil down the thematics in my head a bit better and refine my interpretation of the show. Definitely looking forward to giving it another watch after I sit with it for a while.

Saprol

So, yeah, I pointed out how weird this looked back then. But the flip side is, you just don't see anime about a woman who feels trapped in a loveless marriage.

Now, you could also argue the politics of a woman who finds joy in cooking - specifically for a man - but in a medium where most female characters are high school girls that exist to be fetish tokens for harem leads, I'll take it. lol

But also, it's the "worst" of the three Otona Joshi animes.

On another note, I hope they do it again next year. This could be like Anime Mirai, but for older women. Or something. lol
Oh, definitely. The characterization and subject matter is quite different from most of the stuff that comes out.

I saw the other adaptation that was released two years prior to this series. I just found it amusing that they animated somebody making candy before and now it's just actual footage of somebody cooking. :lol

Kingdom s2 Episode 11
BStfYQ5CQAAfewo.png

Most hilarious moment with his reveal of such a huge sword. Rest of the episode varied, was a bit baffled at how he was awestruck by the wall considering in s1 he leaped over a wall even if I remember correctly
though at least he is so close he safe from the surprise archers but the pv with the molten stuff thats going to be poured down...ouch

The Queen dowanger plot point feels weak or I just dont care for it
so much of the episode spent on just getting xiang to say it and then nothing done about it, felt like a waste.

I was just looking up some Attack on Titan fanart, and I came across the biggest spoiler ever in one of the pictures. This is what I get for looking up cool fanart ;_;

At least now I know that I should probably start looking up art for anime, after I watch the anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, definitely. The characterization and subject matter is quite different from most of the stuff that comes out.

I saw the other adaptation that was released two years prior to this series. I just found it amusing that they animated somebody making candy before and now it's just actual footage of somebody cooking. :lol

It was just a precursor to the rotoscoping future of Flowers of Shit-Eating. lol

I was just looking up some Attack on Titan fanart, and I came across the biggest spoiler ever in one of the pictures. This is what I get for looking up cool fanart ;_;

At least now I know that I should probably start looking up art for anime, after I watch the anime.

What were you searching to get spoiled? I never come across spoilers in the Jean Kirstein tags or in my Ereri search for Attack on Titan art.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

FInally wrapped this up. Man, I don't know. That show gets real weird pretty much as soon as Akio gets focused on. Thematically, the show is awesome. There's a lot of fantastic stuff going on. Story wise, it's sort of a mess. The last scenes we get with the student council stick out in particular as freaking strange. None of those characters get a closing arc. The way they leave those characters is super unsatisfying, in a seemingly purposeful way.
What?

They pretty much all do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
then they should have realized they could have used the words slutty or a slut if we going to be "accurate" to the Japanese lone word, but the better word for it "ratchet" because we don't want to use the older conventions of that word slut. It also fits certain aspects of her demeanor.

Ratchet is the dumbest slang word I've heard recently.

I decided to look it up:
A diva, mostly from urban cities and ghettos, that has reason to believe she is every mans eye candy. Unfortunately, she's wrong.
So that's what ghetto fabulous is called now. lol

That said, I don't think ratchet makes sense in that context. Maybe you could argue she is "ratchet", even though she's not a poor girl who thinks she's all that, but in this case, she doesn't want to look "ratchet", she wants to look like an actual attractive girl.

Unless, of course, we have entered an age of urban hipsterism where looking ratchet is the black version of wearing a fedora.

yami4ct

What?

They pretty much all do.

I don't really agree. Most of them are left pretty open. Some characters like Juri get their own closing arcs, but others are sort of left out to dry. Nanami, Saionji, and especially Miki stick out to me for not really getting closure. The only ones I feel do get a satisfying emotional close are Touga and Juri.

Quick question, do we ever find up what the hell is up with
Miki's parents? Why the hell did Anthy pick up the phone during that plot?

Trojita

I decided to look it up:

So that's what ghetto fabulous is called now. lol

That said, I don't think ratchet makes sense in that context. Maybe you could argue she is "ratchet", even though she's not a poor girl who thinks she's all that, but in this case, she doesn't want to look "ratchet", she wants to look like an actual attractive girl.

Unless, of course, we have entered an age of urban hipsterism where looking ratchet is the black version of wearing a fedora.

Supposedly it is the word "wretched" misspelled. How dumb is that?

What were you searching to get spoiled? I never come across spoilers in the Jean Kirstein tags or in my Ereri search for Attack on Titan art.

I was on google image search and I typed in "luffy attack on titan" because I wanted to see some One Piece collaborated with AOT fanart (which surprisingly there was a lot of). I clicked on one pic and I saw a spoiler that mostly told me everything.

I guess this is my fault for using google images to find pics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was on google image search and I typed in "luffy attack on titan" because I wanted to see some One Piece collaborated with AOT fanart (which surprisingly there was a lot of). I clicked on one pic and I saw a spoiler that mostly told me everything.

I guess this is my fault for using google images to find pics.

And we were just joking about this crossover yesterday on irc...

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 33

Demoted-bee-dude is so underappreciated. All of his colleagues are ignoring him, but he's the only one who's realised that with Arachnea gone, somebody's gonna have to take over her job of periodically kidnapping reporter-girl. So he takes it upon himself! What a star!

As it happens, reporter-girl herself is in a pretty bad way even without Nightmare kidnappings, though. After a badly-researched article results in some hurt feelings for the captain of Rin's Futsal Club, she's convinced that she's a failure as a reporter, and can't possibly keep running the Newspaper Club by herself. Thankfully, after the Cures rescue her, they give her a few helpful words of advice and encouragement, assuring her that her work is worthwhile, and that she'll be able to find good friends of her own to back her up if she tries.

The Cures also let her interview and write a full article about themselves, which seems a little risky, but as it turns out nobody pays any attention to the article when it gets published - they only have eyes for the other interview reporter-girl did with the Futsal Club captain to set the record straight. So the Cures' secret stays safe for another day. No thanks to Nozomi, who would readily have given everything away numerous times if the others weren't around to keep her mouth shut! She even manages to blurt out a "Didn't you think they looked like anyone?" but, to everyone except Nozomi's relief, the perception filter holds strong.

Also, perhaps more important than anything that happened in the episode itself...GANBARANCE DE DANCE IS BACK, BITCHES! Awwwwwww yeahhhhhhh. This new version doesn't sound quite as good as the original, but the song still rocks nonetheless. There was also a notable lack of animation in the ED, but I think that's just because they didn't get it done in time for this episode. Should be fixed sooner or later.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

In fact, a lot of things seem off about this show. The whole thing, especially near the end, feels allegorical in a way that's not just to convey thematics. If all the weird backstory and dueling scenes were supposed to be complex allegories for what's really going on with Anthy and Utena, that'd make a ton of sense. Even throwing that kind of interpretation away, the background themes are certainly far more important than the specific details. The whole show is obviously about
Utena sacrificing herself to free Anthy from Akio's sexual abuse. Her lack of emotions has little to do with being the "Rose Bride" and everything to do with being a coping mechanism

Overall, despite my mixed feelings on where the story itself goes, I still think the show is freaking brilliant. It's so damn ambitious in a way that's rarely seen. The way it subverts genre tropes is fascinating. I cannot wait to sit down and watch the film. I suspect seeing a condensed, remained version will help me boil down the thematics in my head a bit better and refine my interpretation of the show. Definitely looking forward to giving it another watch after I sit with it for a while.

I am looking forward to this upcoming capsule review having watched the film recently myself.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 11

Simon's back, baby. *blows cigar*

Shit with the princesses was pretty disturbing and sad. Spiral King just goes through them until he gets bored with them or they become self-aware and leaves them left for dead in a box. A whole shit-ton of them there. Morbid task to have to take them all and give them all a proper burial.

El Sloth

Banned
Watch Gifu Dodo!! instead!

http://i.minus.com/iPTZj7phcBXCC.gif[/IMG

This frame makes me lol though:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jXez98K.gif[/IMG
Saw a few instances of deformation throughout this latest ep.[/QUOTE]
Is this show mostly based around fights and smug looks or is there also a healthy helping of politics? I need my old school political squablle fix.

[spoiler]I'll watch this, but I wont watch Jojo's.[/spoiler]

yami4ct

I am looking forward to this upcoming capsule review having watched the film recently myself.

I have my suspicions about what that film is, but giving that it's Utena I suspect I'll be totally wrong.

If I had to guess
Student council arcs hyper shortened, Black Rose saga completely cut out, Akio in there from the beginning, redone and far crazier battles, second set of student fights before Apocalypse Saga highly altered and ending completely redone.

Narag

Is this show mostly based around fights and smug looks or is there also a healthy helping of politics? I need my old school political squablle fix.

I'll watch this, but I wont watch Jojo's.

It's about both actually with some manly bromance tossed in.

I have my suspicions about what that film is, but giving that it's Utena I suspect I'll be totally wrong.

If I had to guess
Student council arcs hyper shortened, Black Rose saga completely cut out, Akio in there from the beginning, redone and far crazier battles, second set of student fights before Apocalypse Saga highly altered and ending completely redone.

I think you should spend more time watching it and less time trying to predict what it'll be.

Metrotab

Banned
AIR - 6

Beautiful arc for a beautiful girl.

It had a relatively simple message, but it worked very well, especially because of the beautiful music that accompanies this show. It's one of the strongest assets present.

I do wonder if Tohno will return from her visit at her dad's.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

If I had to guess

Oh that would be telling, I really can't say anything.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So guys, if I was gonna ask for some soul crushing, heartbreaking, and potentially heartwarming romance shows, what would you recommend? I've watched all of Clannad and Toradora! and some movies, and I have Air and Kanon on hold.

INB4 School Days

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So guys, if I was gonna ask for some soul crushing, heartbreaking, and potentially heartwarming romance shows, what would you recommend? I've watched all of Clannad and Toradora! and some movies, and I have Air and Kanon on hold.

INB4 School Days

Maison Ikkoku and His and Her Circumstances.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

INB4 School Days

Saikano. It has all 3 in abundance.

Trojita

tumblr_ms7a4ndYvK1qhvucpo4_500.gif

I'm going to try at some point to make a gif where it is just her eyes going cross eyed. That shit made me lol.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't really agree. Most of them are left pretty open. Some characters like Juri get their own closing arcs, but others are sort of left out to dry. Nanami, Saionji, and especially Miki stick out to me for not really getting closure. The only ones I feel do get a satisfying emotional close are Touga and Juri.
For Saionji, pay attention to his relationship with Touga. For Nanami, pay attention to how she views herself with respect to other people. Hell, seeing her in plainclothes at the end is highly important. For Miki, pay attention to his relationship with his sister.

Also, you're somewhat off on the ending as
Utena is still around, just not in Akio's world.

cajunator

Banned
I too love this show-nyo!

Yeah it was one of my early sources of Cute.

Watamote Episode 8 - Heart of the Cards Slut Cheater

She's just so dumb, but that isn't the worst part. She is just a terrible person in general

Her selfishness leads me to believe she might have aspergers or mild autism. Likely shes not doing it to be mean but rathe r just doesnt realize the consequences and how peopls are affected. She just knows that its a good thing for her.

cnet128

Banned

Just watch Koi Kaze and then despair at the fact that no romance will ever be as beautiful again. This is the only correct answer to your question.

If incest is a dealbreaker, though, a couple of alternative suggestions would be Ano Natsu de Matteru (I don't know about soul crushing, but there's definitely some romance, some heartbreaking and some heartwarming in there...plus it's a good show), and maybe Kashimashi if you're up for a yuri angle (the manga ending is better than the anime ending, but both are well worth your time).

INB4 School Days

I'm probably going to be alone in this but...

Rumbling Hearts/Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat

sUuK1dS.png

Liked most of the plot lines except for Emi's which was a little all over the place. Maybe a little too much fan service and way too many simple misunderstanding scenarios as well.

The last few episodes with Tsukiko's family caught me completely off guard. Was expecting some super cliche
time travel, unknowingly affecting the future by affecting their past selves

I'm a little dense so I didn't see the turn coming until it happened, but I totes started the waterworks when everything came to a head. That little arc was so well realized and touching, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an allusion to some mythology I'm not familiar with.

Really great show, probably my surprise of last season (along with Maou-sama). And hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng Tsukiko is the most :cajun character eeeeeever.

Also a new Di Gi Charat cover but I didn't want to overload the last post with two different cover arts.

Think the only October cover from them yet to be finalized is Gatchaman.

I hope they bring other DiGiCharat things here, apparently Miyukichi did the English voice for Puchiko in the "movie" along with her original role and I MUST HEAR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom