• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 19: Right, okay, I get, this was a cool down episode in between arcs, does not mean it was anymore interesting to watch, next episode seems to be about racing, which is more interesting then reinforcing thematics I got the first time around.

hum let's see :

1st 293 (50.34%) Homura Akemi @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 269 (46.22%) Nanoha Takamachi @ Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
3rd 20 (3.44%) Asuka Langley Shikinami @ Neon Genesis Evangelion

nanoha lost but i don't mind as much since homura won , asuka had too much votes however ..she doesn't deserve 20 votes

1st 186 (38.27%) Rise Matsumoto @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 166 (34.16%) Saki Mizukoshi @ Natsuiro Kiseki
3rd 134 (27.57%) Nazuna @ Hidamari Sketch
Rise won ? default choice i guess

1st 252 (48.28%) Kudryavka Noumi @ Little Busters!
2nd 184 (35.25%) Kana Minami @ Minami-ke
3rd 86 (16.48%) Misaka Sisters @ A Certain Magical Index

What the heck ?
i call foul play !

1st 241 (46.08%) Miho Nishizumi @ Girls Und Panzer
2nd 146 (27.92%) Himawari Shinomiya @ Vividred Operation
3rd 136 (26.00%) Ai Fuyuumi @ Ore No Kanojo To Osananajimi Ga Shuraba Sugiru
Himawari , you fought well , but miho ...was stronger.

Articalys

Saimoe is pretty boring now that all the foreign voters are banned and can't mess up their precious popularity contest.
That's what ISML is for! Though right now they're in the middle of a break before they begin elimination rounds, but here's who the top 16 advancing candidates from each bracket are (with win-loss records from the round-robin stage):
*1) Shiina Mashiro (35-0)
*2) Takanashi Rikka (34-1)
*3) Kuroyukihime (32-3)
*4) Hasegawa Kobato (32-3)
*5) Asuna (SAO) (32-3)
*6) Aoyama Nanami (29-6)
*7) Kashiwazaki Sena (29-6)
*8) Yuzuriha Inori (28-7)
*9) Chitanda Eru (27-8)
10) Nibutani Shinka (26-9)
11) Nyaruko (23-12
12) Yui (SAO) (23-12)
13) Momo Belia Deviluke (20-15)
14) Kanzaki H. Aria (19-16)
15) Mikazuki Yozora (19-16)
16) Takanashi Touka (19-16)
*1) Kuroneko (35-0)
*2) Tachibana Kanade (33-2)
*3) Misaka Mikoto (33-2)
*4) Aisaka Taiga (32-3)
*5) Eucliwood Hellscythe (32-3)
*6) Nakano Azusa (29-6)
*7) Shana (28-7)
*8) Akiyama Mio (28-7)
*9) Aragaki Ayase (27-8)
10) Kosaka Kirino (27-8)
11) Yui (Angel Beats) (25-10)
12) Nakamura Yuri (24-11)
13) Nagato Yuki (23-12)
14) Saber (22-13)
15) Suzumiya Haruhi (21-14)
16) Hirasawa Yui (20-15)
By the way, only one character failed to win even a single match, and it was:
lAmQf6Z.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, yeah, I pointed out how weird this looked back then. But the flip side is, you just don't see anime about a woman who feels trapped in a loveless marriage.

Now, you could also argue the politics of a woman who finds joy in cooking - specifically for a man - but in a medium where most female characters are high school girls that exist to be fetish tokens for harem leads, I'll take it. lol

But also, it's the "worst" of the three Otona Joshi animes.

On another note, I hope they do it again next year. This could be like Anime Mirai, but for older women. Or something. lol

Yeah, I can see your point. Take your victories where you can, as it were. ^^;

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 13

Never realized how much, uh, talent Hanekawa had.

What the fuck is up with Araragi and that little girl? He almost molested her. Goddamn he needs to get his ass kicked.

Articalys

Okay, okay, here's something a bit less controversial than random internet votes: apparently a good number of the eyecatch poses in the To Aru Majutsu no Index-tan specials included with the recent BD release of the movie were modeled after shots from Yuka Iguchi's own photo book that was released last year.

(first link has both Index and Yuka Iguchi in bikinis, fyi)

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 14

Just find Shinobu, Araragi. No need to fuck up something perfectly good with Hitagi.

Just heard Sengoku's voice for the first time since watching Steins;Gate, and realized they had the same seiyuu. I had to check. If she said "Too-too-roo", I would have known for sure.

zeroshiki

Wow, this thread pretty much stopped in its tracks.

Anyways, for the latest Ghibli news, as everyone has probably heard we now have a date for Kaguya Hime and that's 11/23. Luckily, they didn't stretch the meaning of Autumn and it really is coming out like they said it would.

As for its counterpart, Kaze Tachinu sat atop the box office for the 6th straight week tying Ponyo's record, pulling in 200 million yen more over the weekend bringing its total to 8 billion yen with 6 million people having seen it. It, yet again, beat out all comers such as Monster's University and the opening weeks of Star Trek Into The Darkness and Gatchaman. Next week will be the last week of Summer vacation and will see the opening of Sadako 3D 2 and Man of Steel. The releases sort of dry up after that so if Kaze Tachinu holds on against those two next week, it might last a couple weeks more at the top.

Wow, this thread pretty much stopped in its tracks.

Anyways, for the latest Ghibli news, as everyone has probably heard we now have a date for Kaguya Hime and that's 11/23. Luckily, they didn't stretch the meaning of Autumn and it really is coming out like they said it would.

Well, at least one good thing will come out on that day.

Articalys

Speaking of Kaze Tachinu, I'm sure most people already saw the news from one of a number of other sources, but just to set it as a point of discussion in this thread, Disney now has the theatrical distribution rights for the film in North America. Should be interesting to see what their release plans are; for a Ghibli comparison, their Arrietty release last year opened in 1,522 theaters.

edit: another source adds that it will be released under the Touchstone Pictures label.

zeroshiki

I'm honestly surprised Disney picked it up. Its a heavy story and kinda rah rah Japan on a topic that (on the surface) America is on the other side of. It will be very interesting how Disney chooses to market this.

yami4ct

The Adolescence of Utena

First off, I want to say that I really love that title. It conveys so much of what the series is about and is a clever twist on what was originally there. Works really well.

What a beautiful, strange, inventive, baffling and brilliant companion piece to the show. There's so much here that I love about this film. For one, it's absolutely stunning. The environments, the character animations, the subtle redesigns are all fantastic to see brought to life on screen. There's so much here to like visually. I honestly can't go on long enough how I adore the color palette of the film. So much more vibrant and colorful than the original series. It's a funny contrast given
how much darker the film's outside world is compared to the series

Story wise, there's so much here that I really do like. I think they were able to summarize the much larger character arcs of the series fairly well. The biggest exception would be Miki who seems absolutely worthless in the film. The story of him and his sister mean nothing in the scheme of things. It's one of the things that, as a standalone film, makes Adolescence pretty bad. It relies on you bringing so much more to it with your knowledge of the TV series. It then uses the fact that you have that knowledge to cleverly subvert your expectations.

There are two really clever changes to the formula of the TV show that I found really interesting. First of all, the portrayal of Akio. He's
far less sinister. He's portrayed as fake, weak, cowardly. A pretty boy that drugs and rapes his sister. This is in stark contrast to the very masculine, strong Akio of the original series who just takes what he wants without resorting to drugs or other weak means.
. There's also the fact that
Akio is actually dead during the time frame of the series
. The whole scene that reveals those two ideas I felt was just so well done. One of my favorite moments from the show.

The other change that sticks out to me is the changes made to Touga. Using him as
Utena's prince as opposed to Akio
paints him in such a different light. His personality doesn't change all that much, yet he comes off way less slimy. The reveal that he's
been dead the whole time
was also something so surprising. I should have seen it coming, but my knowledge of the show kept me blind to it. The way it all goes down really helps paint Touga as a far nobler character. It's an utterly fascinating change.

There's so much more here I need to dig into. The end is utterly incomprehensible. I need to rewatch it so I can even begin to comprehend what's going on. There are so many changes that are clearly tied thematically that I just can't quite fit together properly. It's a far more sexual piece of media than the series. There's also the state of the world. Where as the original school feels old and lived in with it's classic stone architecture, the world here is polished and mechanical. Gears, metal, and moving parts are everywhere. It's clearly meant to mean something, but I'm not sure what.

As I said earlier, as a companion piece to the show it's wonderful. I really loved it in that fashion. If I'm forced to judge it by itself, it's pretty crap. It completely glosses over characters, their motivations and extremely important plot details are thrown out and dismissed in more time than you need to really understand them. To be a decent stand-alone piece, it needed a longer running time. Had it been like a half hour longer and they spent that on developing Utena and Anthy's relationship and possibly digging further into Miki's place in the world, I could probably forgive most of the issues. As it stands, It's a pretty bad film.

Despite that, I really do adore it. It's such a different and fun twist on the show I love and I cannot wait to go back and watch it again. Especially looking forward to checking out the commentary track so I can start hearing the director himself point out all the stuff I missed.

Narag

I'm honestly surprised Disney picked it up. Its a heavy story and kinda rah rah Japan on a topic that (on the surface) America is on the other side of. It will be very interesting how Disney chooses to market this.

"From master director Hayao Miyazaki who brought you Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke"

*collect millions*

Branduil

It will be more interesting to see how they butcher the ending song this time. Maybe they'll overlay it with Miley Cyrus "dancing."

yami4ct

They aren't going to give it the same massive budget treatment as Ponyo for sure. I expect to see it get a decent, but less famous, dub cast and a far far more limited release than Ponyo or Spirited Away. At that point, they just have to say "From the Academy Award Winning Hayao Miyazaki" and they'll easily fill all those seats almost every night for their limited runs. I also expect a big oscar push for this one. They'll use the Miyazaki name to grab any major award they can get their hands on.

zeroshiki

"From master director Hayao Miyazaki who brought you Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke"

*collect millions*

Oh man, they could have done that with Poppy Hill and Earthsea too! "From master director Hayao Miyazaki
's son
who brought you Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke"

It will be more interesting to see how they butcher the ending song this time. Maybe they'll overlay it with Miley Cyrus "dancing."

Hikouki-gumo is a wonderful song. I hope they don't desecrate it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
edit: another source adds that it will be released under the Touchstone Pictures label.

If it's under Touchstone, then it's basically not really Disney. Or, it's hipster Disney to be more precise.

yami4ct

If it's under Touchstone, then it's basically not really Disney. Or, it's hipster Disney to be more precise.

If the marketing doesn't push it hard as a serious, adult animated film, I'll be surprised. They'll also push it for at least Best Animated and Best Foreign Oscars. Could also see them putting a small go in for Best Picture in the hopes they can at least get one of the extra nominee spaces.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the marketing doesn't push it hard as a serious, adult animated film, I'll be surprised. They'll also push it for at least Best Animated and Best Foreign Oscars. Could also see them putting a small go in for Best Picture in the hopes they can at least get one of the extra nominee spaces.
Best Foreign? I dunno. Then again, I have no idea what "real" Japanese films have come out this year.

yami4ct

Best Foreign? I dunno. Then again, I have no idea what "real" Japanese films have come out this year.

I didn't say it deserved that, just I'll be surprised if they didn't push it. Disney's going to want to grab any awards they can off of this one given it doesn't have the wide appeal of Miyazaki's other work.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
First half of Watamote 08

....And I think this is where I stop watching this series.

This almost happened to be. I know this is supposed to be a comedy and all but I'm not sure what to even call it anymore. It lacks the violent points or the physical self-abuse I've come to associate with dark comedy. It's like the show is saying "Isn't it hilarious how the isolation is slowly destroying her soul... ha ha ha! So funny." At this point, if this series and whatever universe the manga extends into doesn't end in suicide then it'll be because the writer has figured out a way to extend the deconstruction of the art of cringe into to uncharted territories.

I'm fascinated to see where the show is headed even though I know I'm probably going to hate the destination more then I hated the journey. I blame the optimistic fool in me.

CorvoSol

Flowers of Evil 8: World's Longest Walking Scene, WORLD'S WORST FUCKING CLIFFHANGER

Can anything really be worse than the cliffhanger in the week before last's episode of AoT?

Turn A Gundam 29

So basically Cpt. Harry is a massive badass cool guy and if your name is Lt. Poe and you happen to slice your ear off trying to put on your shoe because you're so amazingly stupid, maybe you shouldn't try and mess with him, no matter what handicaps you give yourself. Harry just WRECKS her, and then Loran uses a goddamn high-heel to ruin the rest of her plans. Can you imagine if she really had become Queen? Woman would probably kill herself just trying to put on a corset or something. The point is Poe is hilariously stupid, and now that she wants power, its just that much more likely to blow up in her face.

Kinda sorta blowing my brain with this whole Kihel-Dianna bit. Really would like to know WHY they're identical (aside from Kihel having slightly darker skin than Dianna), but like, they've swapped places again, I think? I mean, I'm pretty sure Kihel escaped and is pretending to be Dianna, whilst Dianna remained and is pretending to be Kihel, but so many people are confused by this (hell, Kihel is fooling Loran), that it gets a bit screwy at times.

Speaking of Kihel and Loran, I think it is high time that Loran branch out from the Soriel girls. I'd really rather he not become another Kira at another Lacus' beck and call. I suppose it might seem demeaning to refer to them as such, but seriously, Loran has nukes and it should be up to him and him alone to deal with them, rather than following Kihel/Dianna's orders in the matter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't say it deserved that, just I'll be surprised if they didn't push it. Disney's going to want to grab any awards they can off of this one given it doesn't have the wide appeal of Miyazaki's other work.
You know, to be honest, I have no idea how the foreign nominations work. I know that a country can only put one up for nomination, but I'm assuming that the nation's own guilds or critics or whomever comes together to pick the one that goes up for nomination.

If that's the case, it becomes a matter of whether the people in Japan feel that anime is the same as a live action film.

Bakemonogatari 14

Just find Shinobu, Araragi. No need to fuck up something perfectly good with Hitagi.

Just heard Sengoku's voice for the first time since watching Steins;Gate, and realized they had the same seiyuu. I had to check. If she said "Too-too-roo", I would have known for sure.

Yep. And now, of course, HanaKana is in practically everything.

yami4ct

You know, to be honest, I have no idea how the foreign nominations work. I know that a country can only put one up for nomination, but I'm assuming that the nation's own guilds or critics or whomever comes together to pick the one that goes up for nomination.

If that's the case, it becomes a matter of whether the people in Japan feel that anime is the same as a live action film.

I assume it's that way as well. Companies definitely push those nominating films to go their way, though. Look at all the oscar ads put into industry magazines during award season.

Still, you might be right. It'll be interesting to see. If any anime director could convince critics to put him up, it'd be Miyazaki. The one rule I think I remember is that it needs to be nominated the same year as it's released in its home country I believe. Could be why Disney appears to be pushing out sub-screenings for late this year so they can maximize the awards push.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best Foreign Language Film is something only Japan can select and submit for their country's films.

I assume it's that way as well. Companies definitely push those nominating films to go their way, though. Look at all the oscar ads put into industry magazines during award season.

Still, you might be right. It'll be interesting to see. If any anime director could convince critics to put him up, it'd be Miyazaki. The one rule I think I remember is that it needs to be nominated the same year as it's released in its home country I believe. Could be why Disney appears to be pushing out sub-screenings for late this year so they can maximize the awards push.

As duckroll pointed out though, Disney would have to make a run in whatever the equivalent of Variety/Hollywood Reporter in Japan is. And you know what, I think it'd be hilarious if that actually happened. lol

yami4ct

As duckroll pointed out though, Disney would have to make a run in whatever the equivalent of Variety/Hollywood Reporter in Japan is. And you know what, I think it'd be hilarious if that actually happened. lol

If there was any company I could see doing that, it'd be disney. We'll see.

Even if they do make it through, though, I don't expect it to make the final nominations. It'll get cut out somewhere down the line. Animation is still not all that respected and it'll inevitably going up against live-action features with much more compelling stories behind them. You'll see films made by people in war-torn countries or other such terrible situations take up any slot.

Could totally see it getting a honorary best picture slot, though.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 20

So once again, everything works out for the best. Akagi saves the man who hijacks the Guard-Fighter. Not just his life, but his SOUL, too. Because Akagi is Jesus. Anyway, Chiaki manages to get Aoyama's crazy ex to see things differently (or maybe it was that she just saw that things were different?), the legislation goes through and . . . the JSDF is permitted to participate in Anti-Heterodyne Operations with the World Military that Saeki and Shirota seem to be building.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I don't know whether I agree that the formation of a World Military should be a heart-warming moment like it is portrayed in this episode. I mean, in some shows, sure, where consequences are enormous and dire and aliens invading or something, but I'm not sure if that's really so great a thing to have in the world of Dai-Guard. I mean yeah, there're the Heterodyne, but they only terrorize Japan. Why does the WORLD need a military to defend Japan?

cajunator

Banned
I see Tomoko growing up to be one of those hyper sexual escorts just to keep up these delusions....

as for now - shes much uglier version of rin from KNJ.

Whaaaat?

Nazuna :( what kind of monsters would forsake Nazuna?

First half of Watamote 08

....And I think this is where I stop watching this series.

Why? Its really not so bad. Tomoko is just dealing with every day embarassments.

CorvoSol

Ass Fleet 21

So fucking tired of hearing about youth. Can't even enjoy laughing about "riding his 'wind'" because of this noise. Also blah blah blah side with Betty so we can save the universe from the Church of Evil. Michel ranting about good and evil, from my point of view the Jedi are evil, blah blah blah.

I'm ashamed I ever said anything positive about any part of this travesty.

jman2050

That's kinda weird; this isn't like Madoka where they left you baited for the ending. That last episode probably would have served well as an ending. But okay, I'll watch them. And it's a bit reassuring to hear somebody likes Nise.

I like Nise about as much as Bake. It has pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses.

CorvoSol

Is it wrong that the only thing I know about Watamote is that I hate looking at the protagonist? Just hate looking at her. Face is almost as slap-worthy as Madoka's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom