• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

KURITA AND FIREHAWK, TOGETHER AT LAST. 10 EPISODE EPIC LIVE-ACTION DRAMA WRITTEN BY REIKO YOSHIDA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qlRgLTQwRDA
001.jpg

yami4ct

Hey animegaf.
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some fast paced shounen.
Anything like JoJo or Hunter x Hunter.
What do you guys think is good?

Yu Yu Hakusho. Same guy that did HxH. Great characters, great action, cool world and a really fun story. Ending is meh, but still worth the ride.

Erigu

Wait, isn't Hanamonogatari the next book after Kabuki?
They announced a while back that it was postponed to sometime after the 2 cours that are currently airing (so 2014 seemed quite likely, and it's now confirmed).
The reason given was that they didn't have enough episodes to adapt the 6 books properly. Considering they're on their way to air 4 freaking recap episodes, I'm thinking Shinbô wasn't being entirely sincere, there.

Tenumi

Banned
It is so very nice to see people are finally turning on Watamote's wretched sense of humor, very gratifying.

News flash: People can have different opinions than you.

I think I've made it clear how many issues I have in my life, and I'm enjoying the heck out of the series.

They announced a while back that it was postponed to sometime after the 2 cours that are currently airing (so 2014 seemed quite likely, and it's now confirmed).
The reason given was that they didn't have enough episodes to adapt the 6 books properly. Considering they're on their way to air 4 freaking recap episodes, I'm thinking Shinbô wasn't being entirely sincere, there.

Where did you get the idea of 4 recap episodes?

jbug617

Banned
Watamote 8

How does she put herself in that type of predicament over and over. I really like her as a character but the things she goes through are crazy.

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 15

That sure was a lot of blood.

Think I liked the idea of the series ending on Oshino passing the torch to Araragi and now having faith in his ability to handle these matters on his own. Didn't really like the whole "Hanekawa needs time to sort out her feelings" thing. Maybe setting up for stuff in Nise or Neko or whatever, but it felt kinda like a cop out for the moment. Though I would have shredded a motherfucker if he dumbed Senjougahara for her.

I didn't comment anything about the past weekend of anime, past Sunday I was out of home. Just the key points:

Gatchaman Crowds 7.
Finally action! And more important than the action, the plot accelerates towards the main conflict and climax.
Though at this point I have to admit it. Hajime is just a Mary Sue. Always right, always super intelligent, always more observant than anyone, without doubts or wrongdoings.

Uchouten Kazoku - 8
What a sad, powerful, poignant episode. I had started to well up tears in my eyes in the final scene
when the big brother shows he wasn't silent or sulking, but suffering and understanding the feelings of his little brother.

Shingeki no Kyojin - 20
And finally, I reach the part where I left the manga. In fact I think I didn't see the scene of
the Titan trapped. Good job humans! go!
But I have to say what it happens feels a bit cheap, she somehow supposed she would be defeated even in Titan form (and we see she has reasons to trust her abilities in combat) and prepared beforehand human clothes hidden in the forest? Hell, now that I think about it, no one knew the expedition would detour toward the forest in first place! That only happened because she attacked in first place! It's this a plot hole, or maybe there is plan inside plans and I'm not seeing the whole picture?

Monogatari second Season 8
Wait, the return already to the present? I supposed this whole arc would be in the past, and it would focus more in the snail past. That was fast. But it seems not everything happened right and dandy, so maybe they will do a Back to Future 2 where they turn between present, past, alternate present, past again, etc.
BTW, the pace is much better in this arc than in the previous one. People who said me it was normal because this was Monogatari where everything is small talk, what's you excuse now? :p :p

cnet128

Banned
Where did you get the idea of 4 recap episodes?

Well, the recap episode was titled "Recap 1", and there's a whole section for the recap episodes on the website. Which suggests that they're going to continue the pattern of having one recap episode in between each main arc. Since there are five arcs to be included, that means four recap episodes.

That said, I don't think the existence of four recap episodes discredits Shinbo's "wasn't enough space to do all the arcs justice" statement. If anything, it lends credence to it. Most likely they were originally planning to cover all six arcs in the two-cour season, but then Shinbo decided Koimonogatari deserved more than four episodes, so he cut it out of this season and decided to give it its own. Which left the season with more space than necessary, so they threw together the recaps to make up for it.

Hey animegaf.

The currently airing Mushibugyo is fast paced, even if it does start out a bit generic. Attack on Titan may or may not fit your definition of "fast paced", but it at least has better pacing than a bunch of shounen series.

I could recommend a whole bunch of older stuff, but I'm at work on my phone right now, so I'll have to check later. I did make a shounen mega list thread if you want to check that through the threads I've made. It needs to be updated though.

Even when catering to the fetish it seems kind of half assed. Don't most school swimsuits have a name and class number on them? Plus Joshiraku exposed us all to the absurd variety those swimsuits come in. Nuance and variety like that would've had the obsessives paying huge premiums to get the type they like servicing them. Also annoyed that one of them is wearing heels, her feet are going to be killing her at the end of the day.

This !
that was exactly what i was thinking ... either do that or go with REAL swimsuits with avariety of colors ! ( but that wouldn't be "otaku" according to some people )

Anyway ..WASTED opportunity

Kainazzo

SAIKANO.
if you ever want to watch everything go to the deepest bleakest depths of shit and despair watch Saikano. I marathoned the show before but I woulx not recommend doing so.

Ha, I feel like a pansy for skipping straight to the end
of the manga anyways. At this point a genuinely happy ending seems like the mind-screw thing to do. Wonder what the anime does differently; why is it so hard to find episode synopses >_<?

Thus, Sankarea's going to end with her becoming human again and moving to Eugene, Orgeon to pursue her new dream of competitive crocheting. Calling it now!

cnet128

Banned
Hey animegaf.

Depends on how broad the type of series you mean when you say "shonen". If you're strictly looking for action series based on shonen manga (particularly if you're restricting it to long-running ones), then sadly I'd say Hunter x Hunter and JoJo are the cream of the crop, particularly when it comes to pacing. The only other series I'd particularly recommend checking out is One Piece, which is decently-paced for at least two to three hundred episodes, with even the filler arcs pretty rare and not bad in terms of quality. Plus the material is really strong in general. Sadly, though, from about the 300-episode mark on, the pacing starts to get worse and worse, and you'd probably be better off just sticking to the manga for more recent material. The content is still as strong as ever, mind.

If, on the other hand, you're not strictly looking for series based on shonen manga, and want to branch out to other action anime that are similar in style, that opens up plenty more possibilities. I'd say shows like Gurren Lagann are pretty similar in style/tone to a shonen manga (in addition to being awesome as fuck), and good pacing is a much more common characteristic among anime-original shows than manga adaptations.

EDIT: oh fuck off top of the page

Well, the recap episode was titled "Recap 1", and there's a whole section for the recap episodes on the website. Which suggests that they're going to continue the pattern of having one recap episode in between each main arc. Since there are five arcs to be included, that means four recap episodes.

This would mean Monogatari S2 will be at least 30 episodes long.

12 volumes announced, the recap episode isn't part of the BD/DVD release, first volume includes 3 episodes = 25 episodes

Add the recap episode and you will get 26 episodes aka 2 cours.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 30, 31, 32

...I'm not sure if this monster was offensive or not, considering it was shouting things like "TEQUILA!".

Also, Ferret Fairy Antics, along with a fairy ferret fiancée.
Bet there's doujins of those two...

Articalys

andherewego.gif
08/28: Round 1, Group B Day 3

B03
1st 249 (50.51%) Madoka Kaname @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 207 (41.99%) Yukari Akiyama @ Girls Und Panzer
3rd 37 (7.51%) Taeko Hiramatsu @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

B06
1st 188 (46.65%) Yukiho Hagiwara @ The Idolmaster
2nd 122 (30.27%) Rea Sanka @ Sankarea
3rd 93 (23.08%) Miyabi Kannagi @ Kono Naka Ni Hitori Imouto Ga Iru!

B09
1st 196 (44.65%) Haruka Kotoura @ Kotoura-san
2nd 165 (37.59%) Miyako @ Hidamari Sketch
3rd 78 (17.77%) Yui @ Sword Art Online

B12
1st 225 (48.28%) Ako Atarashi @ Saki
2nd 122 (26.18%) Maki Nishikino @ Love Live!
3rd 119 (25.54%) Iori Minase @ The Idolmaster
Ayase/Madoka/Homura match set for next round. Will PMMM fans unify and throw one of their own under the bus to secure victory, or will infighting let the unstable idol rise to the top?

/XX/

I don't know, but it sure is/was mine.
Long-past birthday, but Happy Birthday I hope you had, Tenumi!

The important news here is that Ben wrote a piece on Pop Chaser which means that I apparently have to go chase down a Colony Drop fanzine to read it. Oh, joy.
In case you haven't seen this and want it, little reminder:

Colony Drop | Colony Drop Presents: THE LAST AMERI&#8230; | HP MagCloud
http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/518174?__r=146150

http://i.imgur.com/7cuAfQq.png

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (if true)
And here I thought I was hopelessly using excuses... it really lives in its original form!

Damn, never thought I'll see old Wigs name mentioned here lol. He was a chill dude to talk to back in the day.
Yeah. It is difficult to talk about Neon Genesis Evangelion 'fandom' and not mention Mr. Wignall sometimes, the scholar thing I said is truly a role he acquired even among the folks at The NGE Fan-Geeks Commentary Project!

Heh, amusing choice of show to air it with.
Aniplex Inc., "pays" for the slot... and both shows are from them!

Erigu

Yup. I'm guessing we'll get two recap episodes for Bakemonogatari and one for Nisemonogatari...

That said, I don't think the existence of four recap episodes discredits Shinbo's "wasn't enough space to do all the arcs justice" statement. If anything, it lends credence to it.
I guess we'll see how long Hanamonogatari is when it finally airs next year, but "4 episodes" seems likely to me (and it really can't be much more than that anyway, can it?).

Today is the day

Hidamari sadness, Kanbaru arc officially being done, best idol's birthday. Today's really conflicting.

andherewego.gif

Ayase/Madoka/Homura match set for next round. Will PMMM fans unify and throw one of their own under the bus to secure victory, or will infighting let the unstable idol rise to the top?

Poor Yukari, you never had a chance against a (the) Meguca ;_;

Mr.Jeff

Kamichu 1
I think I'm really going to dig the rest of this show, especially if it does a good amount of world building like a Sora no Woto or a Haibane Renmei.
As someone else mentioned previously (I missed the name, sorry!) there's a few episodes which are hit and miss but overall the series is just really cute and charming and fun. Yurie's blush faces are the most amazing ever.

I like having stupid grins on my face. Maybe I will check out Kamichu.
As above, aside from the odd episode, this series is pretty much perfect for you. I can't believe you haven't seen this or Sketchbook!

Yep. And now, of course, HanaKana is in practically everything.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Well, I guess it is when the typecast her in all the same sounding roles.

I'd recommend half of ef: a tale of memories - the show is split into two different arcs. One half is pretty meh, but the Chihiro stuff was really sweet.
I barely remember much about the first series of ef aside from it being perfect material for Shaft but I do recall loving the phonecard scene near the end despite it being entirely unrealistic. Something about the music and how it was shot was pretty great.

Hidamari Sketch Sae & Hiro's Graduation PV
youtube.vid
Enter the challenger which may oust Aria's finale as number one for reducing me to a sack of tears.

Enter the challenger which may oust Aria's finale as number one for reducing me to a sack of tears.

Ara ara, I've still only watched the first season of Aria. I'm not going to rest until I've watched all of these sorts of shows.

I believe it's just life's way of telling you there is always something bright at every graduation and that it's not really the end!

You're the wisest butt I know, and I know lots of those. Still though I'm going to be drowning in tears when that graduation episode comes out.

cajunator

Banned

Nope. this doesnt exist, so hidamari will never end!

New CM for Kill la Kill is imminent, airing after tomorrow's episode of Love Lab. Will feature all new footage and the first preview of the OP song "Sirius".

Also, this is apparently the first Nisekoi anime visual, though I'm not 100% sure of it.

edit: just alerted to the lower-right corner showing that Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Arakawa Under the Bridge, ef: a tale of melodies/memories) is the character designer.

(via @Ikari_Gendo)

Arakawa character designer? hmmm..interested.

Eh, I still love it. I haven't been able to paint her in an endearing light since episode 3 but I'm still coming out of every episode enjoying things. I don't buy the idea that the whole show is orchestrated to cruelly abuse Tomoko for some twisted joke because at the end of day things aren't that bad for her and life goes on. Maybe if they threw in some crippling debt, terminal illness, abusive family, and bullying at school then I could see where this idea is coming from. Until then she's just perpetually stuck at square one which isn't really much different from how most sitcoms work.

I will admit though that it really saddens me that she can't appreciate how kind people around her are and how relatively good she has things but even if I find that tragic it's far from being a cruel joke.

Agreed. What Tomoko goes through is awkward but hardly life ruining. It will make her a stronger person in the end. Although I dont know if the anime would depict her that way.

Today is the day

:D !!!

Mr.Jeff

Ara ara, I've still only watched the first season of Aria. I'm not going to rest until I've watched all of these sorts of shows.
While I'd like to encourage you to watch more by saying Miyukichi is in it (she's not unfortunately), it's good enough on its own to watch despite all that. The end of Origination is the gut punch accumulation of 40 previous episodes of character building* around 6 people. I'd even read the end of the series a few times before I watched and I was still a mess.

*My personal view on character building may or may not be accurate to other people.

Although speaking of Miyukichi, surprised you've not jumped on the Rozen Maiden train.

cajunator

Banned
Ha, I feel like a pansy for skipping straight to the end
of the manga anyways. At this point a genuinely happy ending seems like the mind-screw thing to do. Wonder what the anime does differently; why is it so hard to find episode synopses >_<?

Thus, Sankarea's going to end with her becoming human again and moving to Eugene, Orgeon to pursue her new dream of competitive crocheting. Calling it now!

I dunno how the manga goes but the anime goes into a deep emotional spiral and never pulls out of it. Not in a bad way, but in a highly depressing way.
It will tear your heart out and step on it.

andherewego.gif

What the hell is Yukiho doing in first place?!

As above, aside from the odd episode, this series is pretty much perfect for you. I can't believe you haven't seen this or Sketchbook!

Well for one thing its hard to keep up with cute shows when EVERYTHING is cute now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom