• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Also, this is apparently the first Nisekoi anime visual, though I'm not 100% sure of it.
edit: just alerted to the lower-right corner showing that Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Arakawa Under the Bridge, ef: a tale of melodies/memories) is the character designer.

(via @Ikari_Gendo)
I hope Raku tilts his head so far backwards he bursts an artery and dies of a stroke.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 12

Is this where I'm supposed to start shipping Yoko and Nia?

I don't know why they were so excited to see Yoko in a swimsuit. The girl walks around in a bikini top and hotpants. What more did they think they were getting that had them in such anticipation?

These fights really are a blast to watch.

BluWacky

I'd never consider buying an anime figure, but I do have one figure that sits on my desk. It's the Penguin of Death from a range of silly stationery that suits my sense of humour and strikes fear into the heart of all who approach.

I don't feel as though anime figurines really express what I like about anime. While there are some mecha designs I admire, for instance, I don't really feel the need to have a model of the Escaflowne on my desk, and because I'm not really into cute girl shows things like Nendos etc. don't really appeal.

I'd like to have some good anime or manga art on my wall, though. I'm thinking something like this image from the end of RahXephon (minor spoilers I guess?) - ideally I'd love something by Akihiro Yamada but for whatever reason none of the illustrations I've found by him seem to really suit canvas or framing.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Has the staff/company that made Tari Tari made anything recently? I know it doesn't get much love here but I really liked it. It hit a perfect spot.

Moaradin

I have to highly disagree here. I love HxH and really dislike Naruto. Hunter x Hunter is an amazing piece of Shonen that subverts all your typical tropes that come with the genre. Naruto is the most bland, boring, middle of the road typical shonen show around.

Naruto has it's moments but yea, it's not nearly as consistent or well thought out as Hunter x Hunter is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd never consider buying an anime figure, but I do have one figure that sits on my desk. It's the Penguin of Death from a range of silly stationery that suits my sense of humour and strikes fear into the heart of all who approach.

I don't feel as though anime figurines really express what I like about anime. While there are some mecha designs I admire, for instance, I don't really feel the need to have a model of the Escaflowne on my desk, and because I'm not really into cute girl shows things like Nendos etc. don't really appeal.

I'd like to have some good anime or manga art on my wall, though. I'm thinking something like this image from the end of RahXephon (minor spoilers I guess?) - ideally I'd love something by Akihiro Yamada but for whatever reason none of the illustrations I've found by him seem to really suit canvas or framing.
Would you pass on a Chris in wheelchair figure?

yami4ct

Mind if I ask why do you guys/girls buy the figurines?

I collect robot figures mostly, with a few anime, game and TV show thrown in for stuff I mostly like. I collect because it's really enjoyable to me. I dunno. Why do people collect stamps or coins? It's just fun to collect things. For the higher grade stuff, I usually buy to setup displays for things I really like. All my Figuarts are purchased with those ideas in mind.

It gets harder to explain figures when you have dozens of them. Especially if they are all females lol.

Dozens. Man, I wish I was near that small. I probably have close to 200 robots, mostly transformers and a few gundams. I than have like 10 or so Sentai,Kamen Rider, and Tiger & Bunny Figuarts. I do luck out in that I don't have to get into the awkward conversation about female figures, though.

Has the staff/company that made Tari Tari made anything recently? I know it doesn't get much love here but I really liked it. It hit a perfect spot.

P.A. Works is producing Uchouten Kazoku this season, which isn't really similar but you should try it anyway because it's excellent.

yami4ct

Naruto has it's moments but yea, it's not nearly as consistent or well thought out as Hunter x Hunter is.

Pre-time skip, I could deal with Naruto as a guilty pleasure. It was fine. It had some decent action setups, some fun characters and some occasionally cool ideas that threw you off from what you were expecting. Post time skip is an absolute god awful mess, sadly. Oh well, at least it's nowhere near as terrible as Bleach.

The Legend of Legendary Heroes 1-19

It started out ok and then it just got worse and worse; so much so to the point where all the characters just went full blown retard. I don't think I can hang in there for the rest :/

What the hell is up with that show's title? Sounds like something an eight year old would title his grade school project. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the working titles:

The Super Epic Adventure of the Super Epic Adventure Soldiers.

The Ultimate Powers of the Ultimate Warriors.

That's what you get for watching something called "Legend of the Legendary Heroes".

It wasn't my fault, it was Hulu's. They recommended it to me after I finished watching Claymore :(

I'm worried now cause they recommended me Shinning Hearts and it looks to be about the same deal.

What the hell is up with that show's title? Sounds like something an eight year old would title his grade school project. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the working titles:

lol The quality of the title is pretty much inline with the quality of the show.

This is what happen when you write something called "the legendaries heroes" and have SO MUCh back story to tell that you need to write "the legend of the lengendary heroes" at some point.

Toriko Episode 115 “The Four-Beasts' Shocking Combined Form and Green Rain!
tumblr_ms9nas3qqH1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_ms9nas3qqH1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Ugly monster design for an ugly fight. Feels intense but it was far better when it was one on one against individual beasts. This one is just too big and just kind of dull at times.
Sure its nice all four work together but a capture level of 320 is so high, and it counters every move. Not to mention, isnt there still some controller behind the scenes, How strong must he be to control lvl 320 creature?

Nanoha StrikerS - 2

I think I'm starting to get why people are not really big fans of StrikerS. The original Nanoha and A's took you into the world pretty slowly.
The TSAB was mainly background stuff that you weren't supposed to think too hard about. They're a dimensional organization dedicated to keeping peace across worlds. The first season shows you a small fraction of it, and you see their main base in A's, but here, everything else about this system is thrown at you at once.

I mean, good lord, there's these mage ranks, examination tests, there's a lot of stuff here that they're throwing at you.
I'm glad I didn't watch StrikerS right after I finished A's, because I'd be really confused at that point.

I feel like there's a big empty gap where another season should be before this.

zeroshiki

Have you seen their previous work, Hanasaku Iroha (different, better, director)? The staff specifically I'm not sure where they are right now but PA Works (the studio) is working on Uchoten Kazoku this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 20: Ah yes, at last the next arc begins and it involves the Yacht Club getting involved in a grand race, though I will note with dingeys and not an actual yacht race. Indeed, this episode is mainly focused on doing the obligatory training montage and also cramming a bit of a beach episode into the mix. To its credit, they are giving some screen time to Ai Hoshimiya, one of the Yacht Clubbers who got added here in Season 2, and had done some background things but is now getting actual development. Also, suddenly evil councils are everywhere plotting evil council things, though no student council in sight.

zeroshiki

I think every anime fan goes through a phase of wanting to own "something" of their favorite series. I used to buy OSTs and posters and stuff as well as figures way back when. Nowadays, aside from the occasional nendoroid, I've gotten over my need for merchandise and see them as nothing more than clutter.

Kainazzo

I dunno how the manga goes but the anime goes into a deep emotional spiral and never pulls out of it. Not in a bad way, but in a highly depressing way.
It will tear your heart out and step on it.

Caught the last 5 mins of episode 13. It's not too different, and if anything it's actually a little happier. The manga
clearly states that Shuji's going to starve to death within Battleship Chise
, whereas the anime
just ends it on saying "they'll live" in a vague tone.
For some reason Wikipedia said they diverged more.

Now that I know my super-sentimental soul can take the ending, looks like I better see the rest. Thanks for the recommendation!

Shergal

Free 8
Predictable, and not as nicely crafted as the previous episode. At least they put out the episode with their normal rotation team without a hitch, seems like there weren't any real schedule problems.

Looking forward to seeing them lose the relay and not care.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 13

I thought Nia's fish and rice that she cooked for Yoko during the barbecue looked pretty tasty. Why's she such a terrible cook now? I would think the problem might be the ingredients they have on the ship; they probably aren't exactly fresh to say the least.

I didn't know Yoko could pilot Lagann. When'd she get the practice in?

Anyway, this show's become a blast to watch.

Gurren Lagann 13

I thought Nia's fish and rice that she cooked for Yoko during the barbecue looked pretty tasty. Why's she such a terrible cook now? I would think the problem might be the ingredients they have on the ship; they probably aren't exactly fresh to say the least.

Probably when Simon was being a bitch or something.

Brothers Conflict 8
tumblr_ms8ai4J4dh1rq073jo1_400.gif

Natsume's rank shot up, guess for me its Futo, Yusuke, then the triplets for best of the characters. He is pretty underrated overall and gave great scenes.
The reveal thugh was awful, why do they always do that for any story with some hint of incest, people being adopted, why :/ Story felt unique and pretty daring if it hadnt done that.

Gurren Lagann 13

Anyway, this show's become a blast to watch.

All it takes to pilot Gunmen is fighting spirit.

e_i

Blood Lad

This show is quite amusing. Although Fuyumi fits the whole cute-big boobs-dumb as hell archetype too well.

JSoup

Banned
So, animes. I recently decided that I wanted to finish off a bunch of series I left off on years ago and get to ones that people have been on me to watch for a while. To that end, I'm finally watching the last 12 or so episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho and have finally started watching Evangelion.

So far, Yu Yu Hakusho is fairly meh, compared to my memory of it and Evangelion is mildly interesting.

cajunator

Banned
Worst part is that the figures I am interested in are all females. I have like.... 2 right now, but with the way things could work out, I'll have 4, which will balance things. But then there's all the yayoi figures that I want ._.

They don't really. We didn't go very far in the conversation. I actually showed mom my figures when I opened the package because she wanted to see what it was. They knew I watched MLP, which took a bit of understanding but ultimately resulted in them not caring either way.

Looks cool, nice to have a figure of characters you like. Hell, some of the posable ones are cool.

Its too late for you. You have already entered a world from which you cannot escape.

I collect robot figures mostly, with a few anime, game and TV show thrown in for stuff I mostly like. I collect because it's really enjoyable to me. I dunno. Why do people collect stamps or coins? It's just fun to collect things. For the higher grade stuff, I usually buy to setup displays for things I really like. All my Figuarts are purchased with those ideas in mind.

Dozens. Man, I wish I was near that small. I probably have close to 200 robots, mostly transformers and a few gundams. I than have like 10 or so Sentai,Kamen Rider, and Tiger & Bunny Figuarts. I do luck out in that I don't have to get into the awkward conversation about female figures, though.

Yeah I say dozens but its like 90. So like 7.5 dozen lol.

I think every anime fan goes through a phase of wanting to own "something" of their favorite series. I used to buy OSTs and posters and stuff as well as figures way back when. Nowadays, aside from the occasional nendoroid, I've gotten over my need for merchandise and see them as nothing more than clutter.

I wasnt able to stop. Too addictive. Must collect more cute.

Caught the last 5 mins of episode 13. It's not too different, and if anything it's actually a little happier. The manga
clearly states that Shuji's going to starve to death within Battleship Chise
, whereas the anime
just ends it on saying "they'll live" in a vague tone.
For some reason Wikipedia said they diverged more.

Now that I know my super-sentimental soul can take the ending, looks like I better see the rest. Thanks for the recommendation!

yeah its worth a watch. Im curious how the anime ending could be happy by comparison lol. Manga must be BLEAK.

yeah its worth a watch. Im curious how the anime ending could be happy by comparison lol. Manga must be BLEAK.

A lot of manga is pretty damn bleak compared to their anime counterparts. I mean, in Aishiteruze Baby
there's apparently that sad ending of the kid leaving
, a lot of the stories in Black Jack have darker endings in the manga than in the anime, and in Death Note
you can see L's and Rem's final depressing thoughts right before they die.

Long story short from my experience, one anime may be:
girl-anime-happy.gif

While its manga counterpart is mostly:
1337597867074.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, animes. I recently decided that I wanted to finish off a bunch of series I left off on years ago and get to ones that people have been on me to watch for a while. To that end, I'm finally watching the last 12 or so episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho and have finally started watching Evangelion.

So far, Yu Yu Hakusho is fairly meh, compared to my memory of it and Evangelion is mildly interesting.
Bear in mind that YYH becomes bad in its closing arc.

First 5 min of from the new world - 04

Waouh all those flashbacks actually make a lot of sense now ... and what a breakdown from the cast ...

Loving it.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 14

"Oh hey there's this huge powerful whirlwind. Let's fly right into it! Oh the first guy who did it got blown up? Let's avenge his death! Fly right into it!" Pretty embarrassing that Nia actually had to broadcast herself like that to tell everybody not to do that. She must have the patience of a saint to not go up there going "You fucking dumbasses, what the hell are y'all about to do flyin' into that thing?"

Simon was badass again in this episode. Best part was they didn't even show him going underground; all that happened while he was doing it. So while everyone was trying to figure out how to break through the whirlwind, or killing themselves trying, he was drilling a hole to get directly underneath the dude. Figured it out quickly. Not only is he displaying Kamina's toughness and confidence, he has a brain for battle that Kamina never did; he even showed this in earlier episodes.

Teppelin is a giant face. Good luck trying to defeat that thing.

From the new world - 04

There is no other sentence than :

"shit hit the fan" to describe this episode.

Man what a episode

What a cliffanger ending ..

Man the flashback in ep 1 , 2, 3 make sense in a scary way now...
Shinsekai%20Yori%20-%20From%20the%20New%20World%20-%2004.jpg

I see 5 problems right there.
Someone who cheats ? disposed off
Someone not able enough ? disposed off
Not to mention all the various device to control ..
Can't believe it ... wait i can ..i somehow expected to be wrong but no.
Episode 5 will be so good.

Mind if I ask why do you guys/girls buy the figurines?
Its a problem I have had since I was really little.
If I really love a movie/game/anime/character then I just have to have a figure of it.

even if its a figure I just keep stored and not displayed(a Goku, a Tenchi Masaki, Human Inuyasha and Kagome) im just satisfied to have it.

Syrinx

If I was ever going to consider buying a figurine, it would have to be a character I absolutely love from a show I absolutely love. Both would be required.

If I was ever going to consider buying a figurine, it would have to be a character I absolutely love from a show I absolutely love. Both would be required.

As if that was the real problem...
the real challenge is to be fast enough to secure your rare figurine before others ! because the figurines that are worthy are always in limited numbers.

Should i post a tiny sample of my collection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom