• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Not everyone here likes Aku no Hana, you know. I still think the anime is an ugly, poorly paced adaptation that kills the impact of many great scenes by being boring in its buildup.

Disliking things other people like and liking things other people dislike is just how communities work.

Yeah. I didn't really like what I saw of it either (it was more tone and subject matter for me rather than how it was made). Nor Attack on Titan. Hell I never even liked Cowboy Bebop. I'm quite happy to be in a minority and don't feel in any way uncomfortable due to this.

wonzo

Banned
EVIL'S Flowers 11-13

Welp, now that that's over my life is empty and I guess I can go back to watching shitty Chinese cartoons instead of animu.
Who's the empty one now, Nakamura? That room...
I'm not gonna lie: I'd probably be mildly bothered by the flashforwards (because HOW MEAN IS THAT, teasing something that'll never happen) if I weren't bowled over by the rest of it and, more importantly, if I weren't mad fucking tired right now.

The field of flowers scene in 11 was lovely, a really well-realized evocation of loneliness, and it helps that aside from a few moments in the first episode the show rarely (if ever?) dipped in the "fantastical dream" well.
Glad you appreciated this masterpiece. I'd recommend reading the manga to see what happens next but there was a listing on Studio Pablo's site for a Zecxs project (or the other way round, i dont remember as its gone now) next year so we may just get "Part Two"!!!

CorvoSol

Glass Fleet 22

A hilariously unnecessary episode long flashback backstory for a character of minor importance in a plot that is stupider than stabbing a grizzly bear with a plastic spoon. And by that I don't mean to imply that any actual comedy was involved either. With four episodes left, I ought to marathon it to the end, but no no no no no no

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 21

Well, damn. So The Heterodyne appears, or at least one that looks exactly like the original, spotted thirteen years ago. The one that took Ibuki's father's life. And this episode it seems like several people have a thing or two to tell Ibuki about what kind of man her beloved father was. Most unusual among these is Rika Domeki, doofy scientist chick who develops all the Dai-Guard stuff. Domeki is pissed that Ibuki doesn't share her selfish, sciency view of the kind of man Dr. Sakurada was, and so in that same cartoony voice as always, spends an entire episode tearing down Ibuki's image of her father. The worst is that this bitch tells Ibuki that her view of her dad, as a hero, is selfish, when the good doctor fails to realize she's doing the exact same thing, but worse by trying to force that view onto her. Domeki's freakish, Dr. House levels of absurd need to be right in this situation forces her to go so far that Ibuki freaks out not once, but twice in the cockpit, the second time having some severe consequences.

I always knew Domeki was weird, but this woman is straight up malevolent now. I mean, even if Ibuki had been deluding herself into thinking her dad was a hero (which I'm unconvinced was a delusion, especially based upon Rika's incredibly shoddy and convenient evidence/argument), Domeki pushes the line way too far, and at an incredibly stupid time: right before a sortie of Dai-Guard against the Heterodyne. On the anniversary of her father's death. There are better times and ways to do things, and this was not one of them.

Turn A Gundam 30

Dangum Space Hippies need to get off of my Earth lawn. Can't believe that woman accused the Earth of setting off the Nuke when the Nuke would've never blown if those stupid Red Team yutzes had never gotten involved. Also, poor Sochie, who seems to be doing the best she can to cope with her new state of affairs. It's admirable that she doesn't seem to have broken down yet. Especially because if her name was Uso Ebbing she'd be crying every time she cut herself on a piece of paper. Or if she was Shakti she'd just have gone nuts by now and started poking holes in the ground with a stick and bitching about Kaserelia. Not Sochie, though. Girl's made of tougher stuff than that, it seems. Anyway, everyone is going to Machupichu now to get the Tower of Babil to open the Way to the Moon so Golbez can summon the Giant of Babil and fight Cecil or something like that. Pretty excited to see what the Moon is like, since we've so far not seen what life on the moon is like at all, outside one very brief, vague flashback of Lt. Poe's.

zeroshiki

You're watching Dai-Guard because of Z2, right?

Dai-Guard is a terrible unit. Its a middle of the road super that has an EN refill but doesn't have enough firepower to be a frontline unit. Bosborot is a better idea for an refueller.

CorvoSol

You're watching Dai-Guard because of Z2, right?

Dai-Guard is a terrible unit. Its a middle of the road super that has an EN refill but doesn't have enough firepower to be a frontline unit. Bosborot is a better idea for an refueller.

Well, Z1 is what got me to watch the show, really, 'cuz I like the OP. But I think Dai-Guard sucking is sort of intentional. They make it pretty clear in the show that, for being a gigantic, mechanical monster, the Dai-Guard is pretty fragile.

That said, I use it to refill EN all the time. Dai-Guard is basically Gurren Lagann and Gurren Seitan's glorified Super Sized Big Gulp Soda Can. Like them big ol' mugs of coca cola your grampa used to drink on road trips 'afore everyone realized how bad it was for his body.

zeroshiki

Well, Z1 is what got me to watch the show, really, 'cuz I like the OP. But I think Dai-Guard sucking is sort of intentional. They make it pretty clear in the show that, for being a gigantic, mechanical monster, the Dai-Guard is pretty fragile.

That said, I use it to refill EN all the time. Dai-Guard is basically Gurren Lagann and Gurren Seitan's glorified Super Sized Big Gulp Soda Can. Like them big ol' mugs of coca cola your grampa used to drink on road trips 'afore everyone realized how bad it was for his body.

I enjoy how the main pilot always complains about all the paperwork he has to fill out each time his unit gets hit. Its certainly a departure from, say, Koji or Simon laughing at how puny the damage the other dude got to deal.

cnet128

Banned
IIRC, this also happens in the movie, which judging from where you're at in YPC5, you can totally watch it now if you wanted.

But I watch the movies after I'm done with their respective series! It's practically a tradition at this point!

Figurine collecting is a quirk my wallet and i are thankful that i don't have.

My relationship with anime figures has been a stormy one. It went something like this:

Phase 1: "Anime figures? I can't imagine why anyone would actually purchase any of those. They're horribly expensive and what are they actually good for? I'm glad I have no plans of venturing that far down the anime fan rabbit hole."

Phase 2: "Anime figures? I can't imagine...ooh, look, there are some cute little Bleach phone-strap figures on Play-Asia! It would be fun to have one of those as a novelty. They barely cost anything, so since I'm importing a videogame from there anyway, I might as well add one of those in for fun."

Phase 3: "Ah, here's the next import videogame I want. Better check the figures section on Play-Asia, it would be unthinkable to import a videogame without getting a cheap little phonestrap figure along with it."

Phase 4: "Well, damn, I'm about to import a videogame and there aren't any cute phonestrap figures I particularly want. Oh, but here's a set of small-ish non-deformed Kashimashi figures, they look pretty cute. I guess they aren't so much more expensive, and it would be fun to have one full-body figure, you know, as a novelty. I'll just order a random one of them."

Phase 5: (Around the time Clannad is airing, in a state of Fuuko mania) "STARFISH STARFISH STARFISH ooh look a big Fuuko figure it costs far too much and I can't really justify it OH WELL, IMPULSE BUY" *falls in love with Nendoroid Petit figures and buys multiple entire box sets of them* "Ooh look, a beautiful Shana figure! It's far too expensive and I can't really justify it OH WELL, IMPULSE BUY"

Phase 6: "That creepy witch-touching game on the DS has a sequel now? Lord knows I'd never be interested in - oh, it comes with two Nendoroid Petit figures? BOUGHT." *shortly afterward* "What's this? Some mediocre-looking RPG based on all sorts of light novel series, only one of which I've actually read? I'd have to be crazy to buy - oh, it comes with three Nendoroid Petit figures? BOUGHT."

Phase 7: "Yay, I graduated from uni, time to leave my accommodation behind... Fuck, I have so many little figures to take with me, how did my collection get so big? I'll just throw them all in a bag and set them all up again when I get a job and find somewhere new to live long-term."

Phase 8 (the present day): Years have passed, and most of my figures are still in that bag in England. I brought three of my Nendoroid Petits with me to Germany and they're sitting on my desk at work. Though feeling occasionally tempted, I haven't bought any new figures since.

My only real regret is that I never bought any full-size Nendoroids. That and the fact that the couple of large figures I did buy aren't of characters who I'd rank all that highly in the grand scheme of things. Fuuko and Shana are nice characters and all, but they're not incredibly great like some characters I can think of. Though I guess since they're both languishing in a bag in a different country it doesn't make all that much difference at this stage.

Nisemonogatari 2

...This is getting hot.

Senjougahara is the best, but I couldn't blame somebody for choosing Kanbaru. She's a worthy runner-up.

Kanbaru is better than Senjougahara, but I couldn't blame somebody for mistakenly ranking them the wrong way round. The standard of characters in Monogatari is so high that it may be difficult at times to make out the precise order of awesomeness when they're all up there in the stratosphere. Even I doubt some parts of my own rankings on occasion.

Except Mayoi, of course, she's clearly a long way above the rest.

Want that so much.
BS04warCIAAtUBv.png:large

Naruto Shippuden Episode 327 – Nine Tails

Guess this is why they could do two episodes on today. Tons of flashback clips in this Nine Tails and Naruto retrospective. Was fun reseeing some of the best moments again in quick succession, especially Nine Tails v Naruto.

cajunator

Banned
A lot of manga is pretty damn bleak compared to their anime counterparts. I mean, in Aishiteruze Baby
there's apparently that sad ending of the kid leaving
, a lot of the stories in Black Jack have darker endings in the manga than in the anime, and in Death Note
you can see L's and Rem's final depressing thoughts right before they die.

Long story short from my experience, one anime may be:
girl-anime-happy.gif

While its manga counterpart is mostly:
1337597867074.gif

Yeah I know. Manga sometimes goes way further than an anime iwll go. Case in point, Shadowstar Narutaru..

Well I do have a way to escape it since I don't have a job anymore.

Problem is that I don't want to escape ._.

Youre addicted :D
ONE OF US

Luckily I found my Yunocchi on Mandarake since she was sold out everywhere, but I'm sure there are much, MUCH rarer figures out there that people wish they had claimed beforehand.

Ive resorted to Ebay for many. Like the Mahoro on a motorcycle. I paid 200 bucks for the privilege of owning that long out of print figure.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 328 – Kurama
tumblr_msaj9qedfH1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_msaj9qedfH1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Smiles, typical smiles, as Kurama says, thats the Naruto I know.
Completely forgot how he had got out this situation, Sage Jutsu at the end to push it was so good

Humanity Has Declined 1-2

What the heck have I wandered in to?????

Humanity Has Declined 3-8

Well shit, it's now 2:00am. There went any plans of getting to bed at a decent time.
yeah this anime does that ..
lucky guy , you have 5 more eps to look forward to.

Highschool DxD New ep 8

Some minor plot advancement, and a new major figure in hell appears! Wow, so didn't see this one coming, hell must be one interesting, and scary place, with demons like this in charge.

Looking forward to seeing what the new character at the end is like.
Not hell, devil realm. it's a major difference in dxd universe . Hell exist and has nothing to do with devils ( totally different place ) . i say that so you don't get confused later.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 08

rF8xKT1l.jpg

Just as keikaku.

This part gets me everytime i read the manga and reach this part

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 36
Onpu the criminal scum. She's still adorable though so forgiven for now.
The race itself was nice. It's a shame about Pop though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I've watched the first three episodes of Uchoten Kazoku. It is a bit unique but at times I am wanting more. Everyone is speaking of it as some high art, an elevated level of anime, but I wonder if this is more because it is counter to what the normal flood of anime look like today, a sea of moe and fanservice anime, than an actual worthy critique of the title. A title that can be used when someone points out anime is "bla bla bla unworthy medium", but then you can say "But look at Uchoten Kazoku!".

Also the characters sometimes clash with the background to the point that it looks like they are a lower resolution. The background art for the most part is fluid and beautiful. Hopefully this clashing nature is fixed with the blu-ray.

Do most normal humans know about the Tengu and Tanuki and the mystical powers they have? I know the billiard room guy mentioned people being surprised to see a Tanuki in the room when the storm started, but do they know they can shapeshift?

NeonZ

Why does Yozakura keep getting new animes? If it was successful, you'd think they'd just continue one of them, rather than keeping reseting things. But, if it isn't successful, then why do they keep trying? It's a pretty weird situation.

Nisemonogatari 2

...This is getting hot.

Senjougahara is the best, but I couldn't blame somebody for choosing Kanbaru. She's a worthy runner-up.

Kanbaru has the best butt and is also the best girl, which is only a coincidence since she established her best girl status in Bake.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I've watched the first three episodes of Uchoten Kazoku. It is a bit unique but at times I am wanting more. Everyone is speaking of it as some high art, an elevated level of anime, but I wonder if this is more because it is counter to what the normal flood of anime look like today, a sea of moe and fanservice anime, than an actual worthy critique of the title. A title that can be used when someone points out anime is "bla bla bla unworthy medium", but then you can say "But look at Uchoten Kazoku!".

Also the characters sometimes clash with the background rt to the point that it looks like they are a lower resolution. The background art for the most part is fluid and beautiful. Hopefully this clashing nature is fixed with the blu-ray.

Do most normal humans know about the Tengu and Tanuki and the mystical powers they have? I know the billiard room guy mentioned people being surprised to see a Tanuki in the room when the storm started, but do they know they can shapeshift?

I don't really think anybody holds it in that high of a regard - Tatami Galaxy this is not. They really shouldn't, I agree with you. It's definitely one of the most disappointing shows I've watched this year. I don't think I've ever watched a show that was so much less than the sum of its parts, for all its aesthetic beauty with its animation and great artstyle its just really uninteresting and boring. Benten is a terrible character, the shows attempts to make her a sympathetic character are honestly atrocious and as the show focuses more on her the less interest I have had with the series.

Also to answer your question most people do not. Show makes that clear when the most "powerful" humans in the eyes of the Tanuki are blissfully unaware of their existence.

sonicmj1

I'm really enjoying the show and recommending it to people and such, but I find it kind of tough to articulate what I enjoy so much about it. I don't think the direction is serving it poorly (the background art works well), but I think the things drawing me in so much are the characters and the way the world is presented. The characters don't fall into obvious archetypes, and with how the show is willing to drop you right into the world without explaining its cosmology much at all, it makes the world feel like it has a history in a way I like a lot. And the show uses that sense of history well to build its characters.

It hasn't been blowing my face off, but it's been quietly consistently great, which is as much as I can ask of anything.

This eventually is tangentially addressed, but no, pretty much every human is completely unaware of the supernatural abilities of tanuki and tengu. Everything they've heard about shapeshifting and stuff is considered myth.

I think the argument that people only like this (or any anime) because it's not moe/fanservice and not because it's actually good is disingenuous at best.

Also the characters sometimes clash with the background to the point that it looks like they are a lower resolution. The background art for the most part is fluid and beautiful. Hopefully this clashing nature is fixed with the blu-ray.

I really have no idea what you mean by this. The look of the characters is really consistent with the backgrounds, especially due to the vibrant color design. I'd compare it to Tsuritama in terms of having a visual look where the characters and the backgrounds clearly exist in the same world.

I don't think normal humans knows about them having powers

duckroll

Why does Yozakura keep getting new animes? If it as successful, you'd think they'd just continue one of them, rather than keeping reseting things. But, if it isn't successful, then why do they keep trying? It's a pretty weird situation.

Well, there's only one real "reset" so far. There was the original TV series. I'm not sure how successful it was, but maybe it got the manga more attention. I think manga fans didn't really like it though. Then there were the OADs which were sold with manga LEs which seemed to cover certain specific manga stories, since that's about all you can do with OADs. They're directly marketed to manga fans, so it's not a continuation of the original TV series. Now there's a new TV series by the same staff who worked on the OADs, presumably to give the manga fans who liked the OADs a full series treatment.

Not that weird when you think about it. The only weird part is why anyone gives a damn since the entire property seems so stupid to me!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't really think anybody holds it in that high of a regard - Tatami Galaxy this is not. They really shouldn't, I agree with you. It's definitely one of the most disappointing shows I've watched this year. I don't think I've ever watched a show that was so much less than the sum of its parts, for all its aesthetic beauty with its animation and great artstyle its just really uninteresting and boring. Benten is a terrible character, the shows attempts to make her a sympathetic character are honestly atrocious and as the show focuses more on her the less interest I have had with the series.

Also to answer your question most people do not. Show makes that clear when the most "powerful" humans in the eyes of the Tanuki are blissfully unaware of their existence.

The show focuses more on Benten than it currently does? #ICAN'T

I think the argument that people only like this (or any anime) because it's not moe/fanservice and not because it's actually good is disingenuous at best.

I didn't say they ONLY liked it because of this. I also didn't say it was bad or people only think it is good because of it.

The fidelity of the character art seemed much worse than the background during the clock tower scene.

I dont think it is really THAT phenomenal of an anime. Its a good story at times though often after each episode theres really not much else to say or go on about. I think the characters on screen could be enhanced somewhat (those ears and noses) but it does look vibrant and nice and have really special moments newest episode
train scene
and the hanabi moment in past episode, and a really enriched backstory too.

Also I agree with what darkside31337 said about Benten.

So I was just scrolling around on YT looking for some fights because I was bored. I came upon a fight in Bleach which is actually pretty popular (from the views I guess it's popular) with Ichigo vs
Grimmjow
. That
Grimmjow
guy has got to be one of the better villain designs I've seen in past years. He looks really cool and the hole in the chest along with the teeth on the lower left is cool.

I don't watch Bleach much but I think I might watch the episodes in which
Grimmjow
appears in. I really wish he
made an appearance again after he was defeated, because he was really great from what I saw so far.

i don't think they even attempted to make her sympatic ..not in my eyes anyway.
The show gave her depth ( because you have to explain her position ) , she hasn't deviated from her initial run of character that does what she wants to while everyone is either afraid of her or looking up to her. ( no inbetween except our main protagonist. )

Well, there's only one real "reset" so far. There was the original TV series. I'm not sure how successful it was, but maybe it got the manga more attention. I think manga fans didn't really like it though. Then there were the OADs which were sold with manga LEs which seemed to cover certain specific manga stories, since that's about all you can do with OADs. They're directly marketed to manga fans, so it's not a continuation of the original TV series. Now there's a new TV series by the same staff who worked on the OADs, presumably to give the manga fans who liked the OADs a full series treatment.

Not that weird when you think about it. The only weird part is why anyone gives a damn since the entire property seems so stupid to me!

I'm just in this for that sweet web-gen animation.

The fidelity of the character art seemed much worse than the background during the clock tower scene.

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean?

So I was just scrolling around on YT looking for some fights because I was bored. I came upon a fight in Bleach which is actually pretty popular (from the views I guess it's popular) with Ichigo vs
Grimmjow
. That
Grimmjow
guy has got to be one of the better villain designs I've seen in past years. He looks really cool and the hole in the chest along with the teeth on the lower left is cool.

I don't watch Bleach much but I think I might watch the episodes in which
Grimmjow
appears in. I really wish he
made an appearance again after he was defeated, because he was really great from what I saw so far.

Kind of funny to hide his name but then describe him in such a way.

Manga.
I was quite sure he is being teased to make a triumphant return

NeonZ

Hm... The 3 episode series seemed to reintroduce everything again though, rather than just starting at a random point and animating it. Still, I guess that explains it.

Kind of funny to hide his name but then describe him in such a way.

Manga.
I was quite sure he is being teased to make a triumphant return

I didn't think anyone would be too spoilered unless I went into detail, because most of the
espadas
mostly look the same to me unless I mention skin tone, eyes, or hair color etc.

I hope that's true because Grimmjow is great. I forgot the Bleach manga was still running because I haven't heard much from it lately.

/XX/

trejo

Not everyone here likes Aku no Hana, you know. I still think the anime is an ugly, poorly paced adaptation that kills the impact of many great scenes by being boring in its buildup.

Disliking things other people like and liking things other people dislike is just how communities work.

Oh, the decision doesn't really have anything to do with people liking things I don't like. Sorry, I guess I could've worded that better. I was just taking the opportunity to, like, make an official announcement and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom