• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Via Italian sources, a new rumor to add to the ongoing Pretty Cure/Gangnam Girls saga: apparently Toei has sold overseas distribution right for the Pretty Cure franchise to Saban. Again, all still just rumors at this point without any solid proof, but you people enjoy speculation.

k854deu.jpg

The wait for Kurumi may continue, but Tohka is still a fine choice.

On a more personal note, I'm happy to see that my 2nd favorite Majikoi character Benkei (AKA Sex hair) is getting her own figure as well.

High School DxD 1-3

This is pretty much my ultimate guilty pleasure series thus far because reasons.

Genshiken Second Season 1-7

Loved the first season, but Genshiken 2 for whatever reason didn't do much for me. Maybe I'll have to rewatch it. But anyway...I would rate this current season somewhere between the prior two. I particularly appreciate how the 1st season characters are used in supporting and cameo roles. Feels more "natural", for lack of a better term. Basically doing what Gundam SEED Destiny failed miserably at (vs. Gundam SEED).

Seriously, I think Cronicle has already unhorsed Zeheart and Mr. Bushido for the title of worst Char ever. At least Bushido looked cool, and Zeheart, well there's no defending Zeheart at all, but Cronicle is just so bad.

That's pretty condemnatory. And I can't say I really disagree.

Articalys

Didn't realize the Gargantia BD-boxes each included a short comic by Hanaharu Naruko. The comic from the first box, just released this week, apparently involves the girls in swimsuits again, and the previews of the second box bonus comic show that Bellows and Ridget will be getting into those festival dancer outfits... at least for two pages.

Narag

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that XD

Not that I would have minded if it did. Actually, getting featured on SOS sounds like something of an achievement. Must try harder!

I'd just embrace the inevitability rather than expending any additional effort.

So I've watched the first three episodes of Uchoten Kazoku. It is a bit unique but at times I am wanting more. Everyone is speaking of it as some high art, an elevated level of anime, but I wonder if this is more because it is counter to what the normal flood of anime look like today, a sea of moe and fanservice anime, than an actual worthy critique of the title. A title that can be used when someone points out anime is "bla bla bla unworthy medium", but then you can say "But look at Uchoten Kazoku!".

I think is the best anime tv series of 2013 AND 2012, independent of the quality of the rest of series.

Of course it also looks that good in part because the other 90% of series are crap, but the same argument can be used with hollywood movies or whatever (when a good one appear everyone goes gaga).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not that I would have minded if it did. Actually, getting featured on SOS sounds like something of an achievement. Must try harder!
Problem for me is that the anonymous GAF tipper clearly respects me too much to send anything I post to SOS.

Hm... The 3 episode series seemed to reintroduce everything again though, rather than just starting at a random point and animating it. Still, I guess that explains it.

It did? I remember it throwing you right into the middle of the Zakuro arc with no context at all.

Novid

Banned
Sometimes I wake up to wahjah.

sometimes that wahjah is over 9000.

but when Hollywood says that um, man of steel didn't use DBZ...um, we used um, some show, americans never really seen, um er yes, so we still printed money...

that that fucking bullshit wahjah I don't like.

and Snyder is going to be working on...The Worlds Finest?

*burnslaugh.gif*

Via Italian sources, a new rumor to add to the ongoing Pretty Cure/Gangnam Girls saga: apparently Toei has sold overseas distribution right for the Pretty Cure franchise to Saban. Again, all still just rumors at this point without any solid proof, but you people enjoy speculation.

Toei I know you're anal about your over seas stuff. Please be anal here please. Gangnam makes no fucking sense here and it makes you look like you're cashing in on a fad (that comes from Korea no less)

Blue Exorcist - Episode 7-9

Why... why does this anime make even fighting regular demons look cool.

Also Mephisto is so funny at the end of the episode. I lost it the way he was slipping and sliding to get a pancake lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 21: Well now, this was much more thrilling and action packed then expected, of course, throwing a total swerve job into the mix will do that. The episode starts as the Hakuoh Academy Yacht Club fighting to shake off an ancient reputation of ill repute. Though I understand the memories of such an event would be strong; I just don't understand why they didn't either ban the school or the perps for life. Anyway, the episode switches to a surprise attack made by the phantoms that have not been seen since like the beginning of the series. I guess they decided the time was nigh for them to do something about that loose end.

Jarmel

Banned
Not that weird when you think about it. The only weird part is why anyone gives a damn since the entire property seems so stupid to me!

The show must have been profitable somewhere or someone is being blackmailed. The 1st show was so fucking awful that I can't be hyped for this.

Oh, the decision doesn't really have anything to do with people liking things I don't like. Sorry, I guess I could've worded that better. I was just taking the opportunity to, like, make an official announcement and stuff.

Ah. Well, whatever you want to do. We'll (hopefully) be here if you ever want to come back.

Apart from the Space☆Dandy exhibition, Japan Expo USA had more things like Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and his illustrations (that keeps refusing to acknowledge true American cars even when he tries to), or a battle of artists between Yūsuke Kozaki and Felipe Smith that also made it pretty interesting. Good weekend to be in it for this still nascent event!

Depending on when exactly it is I may try to go to next year's con. Especially if they bring Sadamoto back.

/XX/

Wow! On the latest Stella Jogakuin episode
Yura defects and joins Rin's team.

They have created a monster!

Now I wonder more than ever what Takeshi Sakamoto has prepared for those foreshadowed episode 12 events...

Depending on when exactly it is I may try to go to next year's con. Especially if they bring Sadamoto back.
Share photos of the goodies there if you go, we always need more of those... ;-)

Articalys

Extended sales data from last week, from something:
Code:
2013 08/19~08/25 BD List
-- (*23)	---	*1,376	**1,376	**1	Devil Survivor the Animation v3
-- (*27)	---	*1,253	**1,253	**1	Sasami-san@Ganbaranei v6
-- (*28)	*16	*1,108	389,098	*18	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33)
-- (*34)	---	**,960	***,960	**1	Aion
-- (*37)	---	**,886	***,886	**1	Robotics;Notes v8
-- (*41)	*22	**,653	*87,942	**5	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
-- (*44)	---	**,549	***,549	**1	Zetsuen no Tempest v8
-- (*45)	*58	**,518	*22,472	*13	Love Live! v3
-- (*49)	---	**,475	***,475	**1	Tenshi no Tamago
-- (*50)	*51	**,462	*24,90	*18	Love Live! v2
-- (*51)	*29	**,461	*53,707	**9	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
-- (*54)	---	**,435	***,435	**1	The Cockpit
-- (*56)	*63	**,408	*33,049	*23	Love Live! v1
-- (*57)	---	**,404	***,404	**1	Aku no Hana v1
-- (*58)	*45	**,394	*25,758	**5	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v6
-- (*59)	*27	**,391	*15,788	**5	Koukaki Kidoutai ARISE v1
-- (*60)	*43	**,389	*12,625	**6	Kurenai no Buta
-- (*64)	---	**,375	***,375	**1	Touch BD Box v2
-- (*69)	*59	**,338	*20,296	**5	Love Live! v5
-- (*70)	*37	**,333	*20,729	**9	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
-- (*73)	*71	**,319	*22,357	*10	Love Live! v4
-- (*76)	---	**,313	***,313	**1	Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge v3
-- (*78)	---	**,306	***,306	**1	Hunter x Hunter (2011) Greed Island BD Box
-- (*81)	---	**,300	***,300	**1	Mushibugyou v2
-- (*82)	*30	**,289	**9,612	**3	Hataraku Maou-sama! v2
-- (*84)	*55	**,286	*19,856	*42	Tonari no Totoro
-- (*89)	---	**,265	***,265	**1	Aku no Hana v2
-- (*90)	---	**,264	***,264	**1	Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. BD Box RE
-- (*96)	*72	**,241	*17,868	*35	Majo no Takkyuubin
Aku no Bomba. Also, Angel's Egg sells 475 copies.

Also also, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai finishes with a per-volume average of 1,388 across 6 volumes (BD sales only).

Theonik

Wow! On the latest Stella Jogakuin episode
Yura defects and joins Rin's team.

They have created a monster! Now I wonder more than ever what Takeshi Sakamoto has prepared for those foreshadowed episode 12 events...
Oh wow.
Haha
ha
hahaha
In the last episode Yura creates one of her reality marbles and summons forth an army threatening to take over the world. She also starts talking like this "I, Yura..."

Sometimes I wake up to wahjah.

sometimes that wahjah is over 9000.

but when Hollywood says that um, man of steel didn't use DBZ...um, we used um, some show, americans never really seen, um er yes, so we still printed money...

that that fucking bullshit wahjah I don't like.

and Snyder is going to be working on...The Worlds Finest?

*burnslaugh.gif*

Hum let's see

Code:
Error 45 (line 1 ): Unknow command wahjah
Error 45 (line 3 ): Unknow command wahjah
Error 45 (line 7 ): Unknow command wahjah

Error 176 (line 11) : Use of emoticon "burnslaugh" denied - reason insufficient data for context.

Does not compute.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 35

Following up the Karen-Milk shipping last episode, this time it's all about the Komachi-Nuts shipping. I mean, heck, the episode ends with Komachi writing a story that's clearly based on Nuts, and she tells Karen that it's "a story of a girl who meets someone to whom her heart is deeply drawn". Can't get much more blatant than that.

Notable things that happened in this episode: Nuts finally
approves of the latest draft of Komachi's pirate novel
! Yaaaaaaaay!

This episode also served as our proper introduction to the latest big-shot member of our villain group. His name, as I have mentioned before, is Bloody. And it seems that his design matches this name, having a distinctly...vampiric bent to it. Interestingly enough, I don't believe he transformed into a "true form" at all during his confrontation with the Cures. Perhaps a vampire is both human and monstrous enough that he doesn't need a separate true form (though you'd think a bat-based transformation would be a bit of a no-brainer...)

One thing I'm not too keen about with Bloody is his voice. It just doesn't sound imposing or menacing enough. Gotta get someone with a bit of bite to play a vampire, guys! (pun entirely intended.) He does get some villain cred for summoning a decidedly unusual Kowaina, though: he turns the whole room they're standing in into one! Not bad, Bloody, not bad.

And last but not least, some good news: the ED finally appears to be complete! Mmmmm, that's more like it. Ganbarance de Dance just wasn't the same without all the lovely...well, dancing. Now it's all fluid animation and flashy transitions and such wonderful things. Ah, happiness~~~~~

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
YuruYuri S2: 10

Tribute to best couple.
They almost ruined S2 for me, along with most of the other side characters. Sakurako and Himawari just seem super redundant within the series and don't really add anything to the cast.

Novid

Banned
Toei I know you're anal about your over seas stuff. Please be anal here please. Gangnam makes no fucking sense here and it makes you look like you're cashing in on a fad (that comes from Korea no less)

oh shit the shitstorm begins in earnest. get your popcorn ready. crunchyroll to go un-legit again?

They almost ruined S2 for me, along with most of the other side characters. Sakurako and Himawari just seem super redundant within the series and don't really add anything to the cast.

Yuri ! heartwarming moments ! recurring jokes ! official yuri couple !

Novid

Banned
YuruYuri S2: 10

Tribute to best couple.

I still cant get over that "Gay Marriage Is Legal in Canada" quip they made in the manga. It had to be one of those "bicchi doesn't mean bitch, but slut, but should be ratchet" mistakes these translators made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom