• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I feel sick already. Someone put me out of my misery.

We can always change the ending.

iOgswwlCp3x8e.jpg

cnet128

Banned
I feel sick already. Someone put me out of my misery.

You want to die? Okay, okay, I'll see what I can do.

*pulls out Death Note*

*writes duckroll's real name*

*writes "Death by heart attack while watching the final episode of a marathon of the entire series of Futari wa Precure Max Heart"*

*pulls out Death Note*

*writes "Death by heart attack while watching the final episode of a marathon of the entire series of Futari wa Precure Max Heart"*

Now that's Evil.

You should at least allow him some time to post on animegaf to vent his anger before you kill him.

Acosta

Rozen Maiden 9

DESU

You made me search "Suiseiseki Desu", now I hate myself.

BTW, how much I'm missing by not knowing anything of the original series? I'm really enjoying this but there are a lot of things about this world and characters I don't know much about.

Narag

That meme has ruined Suiseiseki. With that said, she barely even used it! Presumably a conscious decision by the scriptwriters (either that, or it was never as prevalent as I think it was in the original series).

That meme is actually why I didn't give the show a chance initially!

Rozen Maiden...Yay or Nay?

Current series is one of the best things airing at the moment. Just be forewarned that the first episode is a compressed telling of the first manga and not entirely representative of how good it gets from episode 2 on.

You made me search "Suiseiseki Desu", now I hate myself.

BTW, how much I'm missing by not knowing anything of the original series? I'm really enjoying this but there are a lot of things about this world and characters I don't know much about.

You're missing the story of the Jun that wound the key and the other dolls. It's not absolutely required since the other Jun is the main character, but it does give some more context and back story.

Of course, the first 2 seasons took a different route from the manga, so it's not like you would know everything anyway.

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan Special 1

Better animated than the show, and I was appreciative of the digs it took at the show. At least, I choose to see them as digs, because no way do you make Armin say he hates long winded speeches and not see the irony.

cajunator

Banned
A little something from the Toonami Q&A this morning, as posted in the Toonami thread...

Why doesnt toonami try something a bit less out of the mainstream but still loved? I cant think of specific shows at the moment but you know what Im talking about.

Actually, my roommates name is on there. I remember him funding the kickstarter. And now I have the bluray.

Moe continues.

Dammit. Origami actually got votes :(

Hey, Sketchbook was a great SoL anime.

sora-darjeeling44stm.png

Another show thats been on my watchlist a long time that I havent gotten around to.
Especially odd since Ive seen Comic Party and Dojin Works and Hidamari and liked those.

Acosta

You're missing the story of the Jun that wound the key and the other dolls. It's not absolutely required since the other Jun is the main character, but it does give some more context and back story.

Of course, the first 2 seasons took a different route from the manga, so it's not like you would know everything anyway.

Thanks. Would you recommend it? Or perhaps I should go straight for the manga?

Acosta

Current series is one of the best things airing at the moment. Just be forewarned that the first episode is a compressed telling of the first manga and not entirely representative of how good it gets from episode 2 on.

Listen to this, I almost dropped it at Episode 1 because, frankly, it´s a mess. But the series after it is really, really good.

Branduil

The new Rozen Maiden is good. The 1st episode probably summarizes enough to get newbies up to speed, even if it isn't that enjoyable on its own.

Why doesnt toonami try something a bit less out of the mainstream but still loved? I cant think of specific shows at the moment but you know what Im talking about.

I'd say they should air Strike Witches but they'd get that awful dub to go along with it. I'm also not sure how many animated butts can be on late night Murrcan TV.

Bakemonogatari 1, 2

Just finished Samurai Bride, so I decided to start something else that's been sitting in my CR queue. Even only two episodes in and I'm already hooked on this one.

Thanks. Would you recommend it? Or perhaps I should go straight for the manga?

I don't know, I didn't think it was bad. Just unremarkable.

Of course, I feel that way about the new season as well, so what do I know. I do at least think the final battle with Suigintou (she was the villain of season 1) is worth seeing.

Ojamajo Doremi #29

inc2uRT.jpg

She went to the bathroom with a boy! PAIRINGS

The "scary" episode, one of the stories being a slightly more kid friendly version of Corpse Party, in which the events for the test of courage end up being about. Of course we see our Hazuki x Yada pairing, as well as Aiko x Nobu pairing..... and I guess Doremi x Onpu (the least likely). Tamaki was a STOP HAVING FUN GUYS person, but she got a taste of fear.

Well now the entire internet can see you sleeping with your mother.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Death by heart attack? That's a bit lame. Surely if you have the power to describe their death in any way possible you'd write "death by sudoku".

faridmon

Just finished Steins Gate. I have to say, whilst it didn't grab me as strongly as some of you here would say, I did enjoy it. Hopefully I will post a more detailed impressions about it later.

Enjoying Love Lab as we speak. The humour is really good and I found myself chuckling along quite few times.

faridmon

Also, WatMote is really depressing, because of how pathetic the main character is.

Does it get better at all? I mean does she get any luck with anyone? Will she be able to talk normally as the series progresses?

Speaking of which, Crunchyroll finally started adding episodes of Love Lab. I'll have to catch up.

I still haven't caught up yet, but if the later episode is as good as the ones I have watched, man, it could be the show of the year so far.

Acosta

I don't know, I didn't think it was bad. Just unremarkable.

Of course, I feel that way about the new season as well, so what do I know. I do at least think the final battle with Suigintou (she was the villain of season 1) is worth seeing.

Thanks again, I think I'll give it a chance.

Also, WatMote is really depressing, because of how pathetic the main character is.

Does it get better at all? I mean does she get any luck with anyone? Will she be able to talk normally as the series progresses?

It gets worse :p (at least in the point I am). It is really hard to watch sometimes.

cnet128

Banned
Bakemonogatari 1, 2

Just finished Samurai Bride, so I decided to start something else that's been sitting in my CR queue. Even only two episodes in and I'm already hooked on this one.

Yay, always needs more people watching the Monogatari series.

Death by heart attack? That's a bit lame. Surely if you have the power to describe their death in any way possible you'd write "death by sudoku".

I'm pretty sure if I wrote that, the Death Note would just go "wut" and do a standard heart attack death anyway.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 9

Yay, more gravekeeper lore. So they're
"born" in specific deserted locations from lightning storms and tend to appear in groups of creepy individuals who all look the same
. Because that's not freaky at all. And it seems like
Scar has now accepted that she's no longer truly a gravekeeper
, which is...interesting.

Meanwhile Ghost SayakaDee has been acting a little strange. Well...stranger than usual.
Considering it was completely intangible, that slap she gave Ai still managed to feel pretty damn harsh.
I have to wonder what the heck is going on inside that girl's head. Er, metaphorically speaking, I mean. I'm not saying someone should stick their face inside her head and actually look at what's in there, theoretically possible though that might be.

cajunator

Banned
Additional staff information for that Bones-animating-Noragami news:

Director: Kotaro Tamura
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Mysterious Girlfriend X)
Character Design: Toshihiro Kawamoto (Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain)

Hmmm. Seems like good staff list but visually kinda meh.

Is Aquarion Evol worth watching?

If you like list material.

*pulls out Death Note*

Now that would be a shitty way to go!

Rozen Maiden...Yay or Nay?

Yay.

Just finished Steins Gate. I have to say, whilst it didn't grab me as strongly as some of you here would say, I did enjoy it. Hopefully I will post a more detailed impressions about it later.

Enjoying Love Lab as we speak. The humour is really good and I found myself chuckling along quite few times.

I suppose it varies by person. The show became one of my favorites easily and I marathoned it without much hesitation. But I love butterfly effect stories too.

People are really expecting too much from a show that's supposed to make you laugh/cringe at how pathetic Tomoko is. The closest thing I can think of about an awkward girl slowly becoming not awkward is Kimi ni Todoke.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 23

This was a nice episode. There was a 0% chance of Heterodyne, so the team decides to cap the day off with a trip to a chanko* place. In the mean time, as part of the celebration, Irie (the tall, silver-maned woman who seems serious) and her looks-younger-but-is-older compatriot, Chiaki (the diminuitive nerd girl with a crush on Aoyama) decide to make a film about how other employees are feelings about the Heterodyne and why they're fighting in specific. Irie polls everyone and Chiaki interviews Aoyama exclusively.

Meanwhile, those three fat guys go out to pick up the mascot costumes, and decide to go look at the Cherry Blossoms in the park before heading back to work. The park, unfortunately, has been entirely leveled by a recent Heterodyne fight. They meet some kids and play with them in the mascot costumes as a means of cheering them up.

Akagi gets saddled with giving a speech to job-seekers about why they should work for 21st Century Security and Dai-Guard in particular. It goes over well after Akagi makes a huge fool of himself and freezes up. Irie interviews resident sociopath Rika Domeki who tells her she doesn't care about why the Heterodyne appear, has never thought about it, and has no plans to do anything about it. Because why the fuck would she care about giant monsters rampaging the nation over and murdering innocent people? As long as she has a cup o nood and a person to mind rape on hand, this bitch doesn't give two shits about that. Hell, since she's making a profit from all of this, I dare say that quirky nerd scientist girl Rika Domeki is a villain beyond opportunist Nishijima and zealots Saeki and Taikura.

Anyway, my IMMENSE loathing for her aside, it was a nice episode because the cast finds, over the course of the episode and through mundane events, their reasons to fight and keep on fighting, and what it is they want to protect. It was also one of the better animated episodes of the show, which is nice because character animation is NOT Dai-Guard's strong point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm pretty sure if I wrote that, the Death Note would just go "wut" and do a standard heart attack death anyway.
Well if it did that I'd just tell the Death Note itself to go commit sudoku. Yeah, it didn't expect that did it, that pack of pompous pages.

Ojamajo Doremi #30

Sexy Seki and Sexy Onpu has graced us with this episode. Wish there was a better shot of Sexy Onpu though.

Seki has a boyfriend, and the gang decides to test him!
Too bad he leaves for New York. But they'll meet again after the graduation.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 18\

Sucks about Nia. She's been permanently converted into the anti-spiral messenger now and she's never going back to the Nia she was. Just after she accepted Simon's proposal too.

As for Simon himself, he's struggling to understand that he's not in an empty, desolate wasteland anymore. There is such thing now as "collateral damage". You can't just fight all out in a sprawling metropolis; civilians will die and massive destruction will be caused, and people are going to blame you and you will become a villain instead of a hero. Man, Kamina would have had a massive struggle making that kind of transition.

I said Rossiu became a prick, and maybe he is, but it actually does seem that he's doing what he thinks is best for the people. He gets a rock thrown at him while trying to calm the people down and yet he still orders the military to stand down. And he's trying to gather as much information as he has. Don't appreciate making Simon into a scapegoat; it isn't his fault the anti-spirals are attacking, and this time he actually prevented a lot of the damage that happened the first time, though like Rossiu said, that's not a viable long-term plan and will only cause more destruction going forward. Maybe Simon would be best served leaving the city for the time being so he can fight his way and possibly gather more information from there.

People are really expecting too much from a show that's supposed to make you laugh/cringe at how pathetic Tomoko is. The closest thing I can think of about an awkward girl slowly becoming not awkward is Kimi ni Todoke.

Kimi ni Todoke is shojo self-insert nonsense.
The joke about Watemote is that the shy and isolated girl isn't a Cinderalla but creepy and pathetic for real.

I'm surprised how many people have such a big problems with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh come on.

The joke about Watemote is that the shy and isolated girl isn't a Cinderalla but creepy and pathetic for real.

Tomoko is like Kasuga from Aku no Hana, but without an even crazier sadlife counterpart to make him seem normal. So, instead, she essentially ends up hoisting herself by her own petard every time she tries to socialize and has no one to blame but herself. It makes sense that it would make people feel uncomfortable.

faridmon

Surprised, really?

Its not about the fact that she is pathetic that bothers me, the main problem that annoys me/might annoy me more in the future is that, there might be no story progress at all. If its a skits of the same lame joke repeated infinitely, then the series doesn't have a whole lot going on.

I don't the complains is about the nature of it, but the fact that the its nature could be stretched out to create a consistently quality show (well, at least that is for me)

Oh come on.

Tomoko is like Kasuga from Aku no Hana, but without an even crazier sadlife counterpart to make him seem normal. So, instead, she essentially ends up hoisting herself by her own petard every time she tries to socialize and has no one to blame but herself. It makes sense that it would make people feel uncomfortable.

Another good point. The fact taht the series relies on this pathetic attempt to actually not sympathise with the character might provide another angle of discomfort.

Oh come on.

Kasuga could at least fake it until Nakamura came into his life. Tomoko doesn't even have that ability.

CorvoSol

Does the Death Note get parse errors?

EA gets the death note, tries to write SimCity, puts <parameter;string> instead.

Dai-Guard 24

You can really tell they've saved their pennies for these last few episodes, as things get a lot nicer looking. Anyway, a giant Heterodyne appears flying over the city, and it just kinda is flying there as they evacuate and chill (mind you prior to this the team had been fighting Heterodynes constantly, seven in a month, so they appreciate the break, but are on edge) while the military prepares Kokubogars unit 01 and unit 02 for battle.

Busujima, who has been on the outs for the longest of times, finally gets his second chance to strike, and puts forth a persuasive argument that the Heterodyne must be stopped immediately. I feel sorry for the guy because I think he was right (and I fucking hate Rika and will take this opportunity to side against her with relish.) in saying that a Heterodyne forcing a full-scale evacuation and hold of Tokyo is a grossly unacceptable scenario, and so he sends his men to attack its original fractal knot (the Heterodyne's built in ohko spot.) and if all had gone according to plan, he'd have won and saved his reputation.

Unfortunately, destiny fucks him over by revealing that this Heterodyne has developed a false original fractal knot, which even affirmed mass murdering living piece of shit Rika Domeki would not have caught unless someone went and poked it and found out it wasn't right. She can argue that "more time to study it" would have helped, but this is the same woman who also "forgot" to warn the company president that something BIG was going down. She wasn't gonna solve shit.

Anyway, the Heterodyne blossoms, and now it looks like we've met the final boss for the rest of the series.

BluWacky

Oh come on.

As good as Kimi ni Todoke is, Pdot is basically right. Sawako offers a nice middle ground between the super klutzes of shoujo romcoms and the wristcutters of shoujo melodramas - she's a pleasant, quiet girl with self-esteem issues in an essentially heartwarming story. But there's still a great deal of wish fulfilment in the story.

(if the above sounds flippant, it is, and I apologise if it offends anyone - but if you've read/seen things like Bokura ga Ita, you know what I mean about shoujo melodramas...)

It strikes me that Watamote's cringe humour is like watching the original UK version of The Office and David Brent (Ricky Gervais's character). His complete social unawareness is incredibly cringeworthy - so much so that I can't watch it, it's too uncomfortably realistic - but there's a vague glimmer of something sympathetic in there. I'm not sure whether Watamote has that glimmer (I don't watch it) - is Tomoko completely irredeemable?

Ojamajo Doremi 42

Good episode. Doremi's sentai shame was hilarious.
With regards to Onpu, she used her magic in one of the worst and one of the best ways this episode. (fuck the vice-principle what a shiteater) It's getting obvious now that her charm is about to fail, and when it does shit will go down.

It's a shame that Ojamajo Sentai Majo Rangers - 02, is in the last season, also
it needed more Majo Purple

Ojamajo Doremi #31

Now we have 4 assholes to deal with, one for each girl, but obviously the other ones don't get their panties wet like Doremi does when it comes to two things: Pretty boys and Steak.

NOW WITH MORE MERCHANDISING!

lol FLAT 4. Despite them raging, their thoughts was that they were nice girls. lol. Aiko levels up as a mother and thus they passed their latest exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom