• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 43
iH78SlS7hMskh.png

Cute
Pretty great episode. Seeing Reika's insecurities exposed and the subsequent character drama was executed to the T.
Onpu really lacks any perception of the concept of tact whatsoever. Not to mention this ends up bouncing at Reika's dad who is like the chillest guy ever.
It's also a miracle they haven't been found out yet since Doremi has no idea what subtle actually means. (and neither does Onpu for that matter)

Blood-C has caught my interest and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Bluray boxset. Just want to know one thing though. Do I need to have seen any previous shows, before watching it? Sorry to use you guys as google, but I heard it's an easy to spoil show and didn't want to do too much reading up on it.

Been out of the anime loop for a long time, but I just randomly bought Eden of the East collection recently and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Just wondering if there's any other must watch recent Anime? A friend brought Attack on Titan to my attention and I'll be giving it a go sometime. Black Lagoon and Steins;Gate: are two other shows I'm interested in, having just read the reviews for them on Bluray.com.

You could check out the recent AOTY threads to see if anything appeals to you.

haikira

With Blood-C, no you don't need any Blood show experience to enjoy it. Also note, it's not at all what you'll be expecting from it. For better or worse. Just try to go in that one with as blank a slate as possible and let it take you for a ride.

As for general recommendations, my question is what genres/types of shows are you looking for? Without knowing anything, the general ones I'll throw out are Hunter x Hunter (2012), Aku no Hana (Anime adaptation is a bit funky, but great source shines through), Tsuritama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, Madoka Magica, Kids on the Slope and if you've never seen it, Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you give me an idea of what you like, I can target your tastes more directly.

Hmm. I don't really know to be honest, I'd say I'm pretty open minded and probably looking for a mixture of things, so I'll just be grabbing any recommendations that get fired out.

Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'll list a few shows I've enjoyed in the past. Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Planetes, Full Metal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cromartie High School. Probably a few others I've forgot to mention. I'd be quite interested in anything similar to Ghost in the Shell actually.

I think I was a lot more closed minded the last time I was in to anime and disregarded a lot of stuff because it was more light hearted, which probably wouldn't be the same now.

Funny. I just remembered one Anime I always wanted to watch, but never got around to. Monster. It really seemed like my cup of tea and I had a few friends who loved it. What's the opinion of it around here? A film I've always wanted to check out too, was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

EDIT: Really appreciate all the recommendations and links by the way guys.

Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'll list a few shows I've enjoyed in the past. Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Planetes, Full Metal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cromartie High School. Probably a few others I've forgot to mention. I'd be quite interested in anything similar to Ghost in the Shell actually.

Kaiji is the Death Note of gambling. Go watch that.

Mirai Nikki is also kind of like Death Note, but with a stronger emphasis on really friggin insane people.

Hmm. I don't really know to be honest, I'd say I'm pretty open minded and probably looking for a mixture of things, so I'll just be grabbing any recommendations that get fired out.

A little late on this I know but...Madoka Magica or Gurren Lagann. Go see them. Really. Just go see them. Either of them. You don't need to hear another word from me or anyone else, just go watch those two masterpieces and you will be very very happy.

cnet128

Banned
A little late on this I know but...Madoka Magica or Gurren Lagann. Go see them. Really. Just go see them. Either of them. You don't need to hear another word from me or anyone else, just go watch those two masterpieces and you will be very very happy.

This man speaks truth. Listen to this man.

Kin'iro Mosaic 9

It's true, why would you need a teddy bear if you can cuddle Alice instead?

haikira

While I was throwing everyone's recommendations into a list, I was pretty sure I'd heard of Aku no Hana before. Just realized, I popped my head into the Neogaf thread for it a while ago and it looked like something I'd find interesting.

Ojamajo Doremi #34

Octopus balls are too hot for Onpu's mouth.
more doremixonpu

And Onpu and Aiko have a falling out, while reminding us that she was a jackass. The thing that gets me is that at no point do they bother to remember whatever good Onpu did. What a bunch of jackasses.

Of course they decide to use a notebook to write about what happened, only to make Onpu feel more lonely than before. Being Idoru is suffering.

yami4ct

I think I was a lot more closed minded the last time I was in to anime and disregarded a lot of stuff because it was more light hearted, which probably wouldn't be the same now.

Funny. I just remembered one Anime I always wanted to watch, but never got around to. Monster. It really seemed like my cup of tea and I had a few friends who loved it. What's the opinion of it around here? A film I've always wanted to check out too, was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

EDIT: Really appreciate all the recommendations and links by the way guys.

Oh god, see this now! Hosada, the director of Girl who Leapt through Time, is possibly my favorite anime film director working today. GWLtT, Summer Wars and Wolf Children are all films I cannot imagine anyone who likes anime not enjoying.

Seeing your list, you've seen some of the required classics. Ghost in the Shell is a particular favorite of mine as well. Nothing has done cyberpunk quite like it. I was hoping Psycho-Pass would take up the mantle, but it sort of dropped the ball and I quit watching. If you're desperate for more Cyberpunk, though, you might give it a shot. You might still enjoy it.

As for more recommendations, I would add Gundam 0080 and Gundam: The 08th MS Team. Both are OVAs (short series) and are some of the best gundam has to offer. Great robot action mixed with some amazing, on the ground war stories you don't typically see from most robot shows. I might also put out Gintama if you're looking for a good comedy. Takes a bit to get going, but when it does it's one of the funniest shows running.

Bleach 37 - 40

Happy People finally, the good ending songs continue and continue, its so good to hear again (had removed it from my usual track of songs). Anyway Hichigo, Ichigo, and Old man in that realm is still something interesting to revisit after the manga stuff.

Metrotab

Banned
Attack on Titan - 21

Awwwww yessss
Titan - 6
Recon Squad - Absolutely fucking nil
RIP N TEARRRR
I really want to see the rest of the military's reactions when they learn their best of the best got mauled.

Ojamajo Doremi #35

Can't climb Mount Assmore, and BATTLE RANGERS, and they teach the power of climbing on top of asses. They're a child's true hero!

And Pop doing something considerate for the class asshole... which will most likely lead to pairing. Ugh.

Ojamajo Doremi #36

Annoying Broken English L is challenging (and failing) Aiko in sports as Hana gets lost on her own! And very little remorse for it too.

The movie's next... not sure if I'll watch that tonight though.

Attack on Titan Episode 21 – Crushing Blow - 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (5)
tumblr_msfcesHElk1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_msfcesHElk1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Well probably in the running for worst episode of summer 2013.
The first 12 minutes was so good with Jean and Armin continuing to provide the most important statements and such and then everyone finally rising up to strike back effectively, but then why would he write the story to go in that direction. This is like the hundredth time (3rd) Eren has tried to do something and fail, he ought to succeed for once especially in this the third or so arc and strike back effectively. Making him some perpetual loser is kind of odd. Even with this powerup that is supposed to put him in line with the other titans, losing that badly shouldnt have been thought up. Im just glad, at least my character, Jean is far away from the danger zone though, redeemed the episode. (though he most likely doesnt intend to kill off more of our same class of characters)
Interested to see what happens next.

Song choice was really awkward during the major action moment, it felt all out of line with the scene and having vocals playing for it didnt really do the scene any favors. Also was just plain ugly moment too.

-

I think they should consider giving us summary movies of both arcs, would really work.

cnet128

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 21

Ohhhhhh yes. Now that's what I call a good episode.

So much action. First we had
the team of elites going up against the Female Titan, an offensive that was beautiful in its sheer calculated ruthlessness, the group working together to systematically tear the enemy's body apart.
Then
the Female Titan's counteroffensive, which was sudden, brutal, and overwhelming. Three characters who we'd started to grow a little attached to over the past few episodes, slaughtered in the space of a few seconds.

And then it's time for one of the big "payoff" moments of this whole arc, where
everything has fallen apart, and the sheer futility of it all drives Eren to finally do what he's been holding back from doing since they first entered the forest: he goes titan and goes after the Female Titan one-on-one. The result is an incredibly visceral piece of combat, with Eren roaring in unrestrained fury, the Female Titan calculating and wary, but both doling out mighty punches and kicks that let you really feel the monstrous weight behind them, and the single-minded intent to destroy.

And of course,
though Eren puts up a damn good fight, even this last-ditch offensive ends in defeat for the human side, with the Female Titan severing Eren's Titan head from its body in a single well-placed swipe, tearing his limp human form from the Titan's neck with her teeth, and swallowing him alive.

Intense isn't the half of it.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 21

iod5RV8uqAYG2.jpg
ibqfoN8HhWwzkc.jpg

Levi's squad didn't deserve this.

This was pretty good by Attack on Titan standards. There was one scene which seemed to be missing animation, which is concerning(please don't die animators), but otherwise this was obviously an episode with a lot of resources put into it, and deservingly so. For all the flaws of this show, the action(when animated) is pretty dang good.
The MMA Titan fight delivered the goods, as expected.
They obviously got some of their best animators to work on this episode, but don't take my word for it, take the .gifs:

http://i.minus.com/iZUgg7gyyvXAO.gif
http://i.minus.com/iowEAxM3hAsuT.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibrm7xUpbGAJMm.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibgMfrTZodDMIX.gif
http://i.minus.com/iOIDlAl5elqtl.gif

Is Aquarion Evol worth watching?

The original is a thousand times better, so watch that. Evol starts out pretty awful and misses the point entirely of why the original was appealing, but becomes not bad by the end.

I would say the original is easily worth watching, but I'm sure many here would disagree. Evol is more hit or miss, but I didn't think I wasted my time by the time it was over.

cajunator

Banned
Also, WatMote is really depressing, because of how pathetic the main character is.

Does it get better at all? I mean does she get any luck with anyone? Will she be able to talk normally as the series progresses?

I still haven't caught up yet, but if the later episode is as good as the ones I have watched, man, it could be the show of the year so far.

Nah it seens to stay pretty much the same throughout.

Kimi ni Todoke is shojo self-insert nonsense.
The joke about Watemote is that the shy and isolated girl isn't a Cinderalla but creepy and pathetic for real.

I'm surprised how many people have such a big problems with it.

Yeah. But they can relate to the character so it bothers them. Except I once was able to relate and it doesnt bother me.

Ojamajo Doremi # The Movie

Not what I'd call a MOVIE persay, more like a slightly longer episode than normal. Rather interesting that going through Toei movies, they're shorter than what you'd think a movie would be. Granted it works for the property that gets a movie (outside of the All Star Movies.... actually, the New Stage ones).

That being said, it's a Doremi and Pop fest, filled with character development and the fact that
Pop actually does feel inferior to Doremi, because she gets all the attention, granted because she's older, she gets scolded more, but she was also given piano lessons while Pop didn't receive any due to Doremi screwing up badly at a piano recital. Her mother realizing that she was forcing her dreams onto her daughter caused her to stop.

We also see the origin of the Steak Boner.

Rather enjoyed Pop getting focus since she doesn't really get much time already, so she was due for some development
and leveling up
, and see something we don't entirely see often from Pop (if at all).
After the credits, Pop runs home and requests Piano lessons as a request from Doremi.

Hyperbutt Neptunia 1-2

This show's stupid, has a pretty good seiyuu cast, and loads of fun. I really don't know how Rie Tanaka can be her usual arousing self along with Nep-Nep. Almost makes me want to play the assumingly average game but I'm not made of money!

Wolf's Rain 6

I really like how the pack dynamics of this city were explored and contrasted with the dynamics of the four leads. It's interesting to see how different people wolves have reacted to the state of the world with different attitudes and approaches to living. It provides thoughtful characterization and meaningful conflict on a micro level, and on a micro level serves as reflections on the meaning of life, what goals we strive for and how we strive for them, or don't. If this really is a road movie, I'm sure there'll be more scenarios like this, which I look forward to.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 9 (Kabukimonogatari 3)

iqfvP6ixcbqGq.gif

I should probably have posted that gif last episode, but I forgot. So here it is now. Such a cute OP <3

As for the actual episode content...godly as ever. Except the part where what the fuck you can't end the episode like that >.<

This material is making me more and more glad that I decided to read Kizumonogatari in preparation for this season. Aside from the obvious connections with all the vampire antics, it helps me catch the little things about Shinobu's character as well. One random little observation (Kizu spoilers):
Shinobu's habit of kneading her head with her knuckles when she's thinking is clearly a holdover from when she used to literally reach into her own brain in order to remember things back in her Kisshot days.
Somehow I think that actually makes it more cute. Go figure.

Articalys

To clarify the above, it'll be on after they're done with Evangelion 2.22 (so, at 2:30 am EDT), so tune in to Cartoon Network around then if you want to catch it. And if you miss that, they're showing it one more time at 3:45 am EDT.

fertygo

EA gets the death note, tries to write SimCity, puts <parameter;string> instead.

Dai-Guard 24

You can really tell they've saved their pennies for these last few episodes, as things get a lot nicer looking. Anyway, a giant Heterodyne appears flying over the city, and it just kinda is flying there as they evacuate and chill (mind you prior to this the team had been fighting Heterodynes constantly, seven in a month, so they appreciate the break, but are on edge) while the military prepares Kokubogars unit 01 and unit 02 for battle.

Busujima, who has been on the outs for the longest of times, finally gets his second chance to strike, and puts forth a persuasive argument that the Heterodyne must be stopped immediately. I feel sorry for the guy because I think he was right (and I fucking hate Rika and will take this opportunity to side against her with relish.) in saying that a Heterodyne forcing a full-scale evacuation and hold of Tokyo is a grossly unacceptable scenario, and so he sends his men to attack its original fractal knot (the Heterodyne's built in ohko spot.) and if all had gone according to plan, he'd have won and saved his reputation.

Unfortunately, destiny fucks him over by revealing that this Heterodyne has developed a false original fractal knot, which even affirmed mass murdering living piece of shit Rika Domeki would not have caught unless someone went and poked it and found out it wasn't right. She can argue that "more time to study it" would have helped, but this is the same woman who also "forgot" to warn the company president that something BIG was going down. She wasn't gonna solve shit.

Anyway, the Heterodyne blossoms, and now it looks like we've met the final boss for the rest of the series.
Smh.. hating on best character, why its always happened to you :(

Ojamajo Doremi # The Movie

Not what I'd call a MOVIE persay, more like a slightly longer episode than normal. Rather interesting that going through Toei movies, they're shorter than what you'd think a movie would be. Granted it works for the property that gets a movie (outside of the All Star Movies.... actually, the New Stage ones).

That being said, it's a Doremi and Pop fest, filled with character development and the fact that
Pop actually does feel inferior to Doremi, because she gets all the attention, granted because she's older, she gets scolded more, but she was also given piano lessons while Pop didn't receive any due to Doremi screwing up badly at a piano recital. Her mother realizing that she was forcing her dreams onto her daughter caused her to stop.

We also see the origin of the Steak Boner.

Rather enjoyed Pop getting focus since she doesn't really get much time already, so she was due for some development
and leveling up
, and see something we don't entirely see often from Pop (if at all).
After the credits, Pop runs home and requests Piano lessons as a request from Doremi.

Yep, it's not really what you would call a "movie", it seems it was sandwiched between the digimon movie. In my opnion just a regular episode with a better budget and a nice Doremi and Pop story, and as sidedish the Steak Boner Origins. \o/
When Pop gets her chance to shine she does it, but what's important is the setup.

Ojamajo Doremi #37

A health and baby examination? At the same time? Say it ain't so!

And the movie was actually referenced early on in the episode as well. The exam was the same one our crew did last time, going against the Tortoise and the Hare.
Pop passed out, but the duo helped her due to saving them from a bunch of cans falling on top of them. Surprised Pop wasn't disqualified from outside interference.

That being said, because her head tilted forward, she ended up winning by the "hare" of her hat

wonzo

Banned
Attention everyone in the U.S with who still has cable television: Toonami revealed that their surprise after screening Evangelion 2.22 will in fact be a showing of Yuasa's Kick-Heart! So tune in to Cartoon Network around 2:30am EDT if you want to catch it.
Good to see Toonami air one of the only three good things Yuasa's been involved with.

Hyperbutt Neptunia 1-2

This show's stupid, has a pretty good seiyuu cast, and loads of fun. I really don't know how Rie Tanaka can be her usual arousing self along with Nep-Nep. Almost makes me want to play the assumingly average game but I'm not made of money!

just so you know the anime is using the second and third games as a base for the plot and characters so if you ever plan to try the game ( that are above average ) , you should try the 2nd and 3rd game and forgot that the first ever existed.

Tenumi

Banned
just so you know the anime is using the second and third games as a base for the plot and characters so if you ever plan to try the game ( that are above average ) , you should try the 2nd and 3rd game and forgot that the first ever existed.

That's good to know, since I'll be getting a PS3 next month. The Neptunia games are sadly high on my list of games to get.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 2-
Some of the exposition bits are so clunky at times. Also looks like another hot female is joining the crew. I should also mention that I like Noa as a character. She's genki but not overly so. The show is also kinda whacky in this old school way. One thing about the animation I like is the 80's facial expressions, it adds into this goofy element.

The dub also kinda sucks shit due to Noa's English VA being horrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom