• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

As good as Kimi ni Todoke is, Pdot is basically right. Sawako offers a nice middle ground between the super klutzes of shoujo romcoms and the wristcutters of shoujo melodramas - she's a pleasant, quiet girl with self-esteem issues in an essentially heartwarming story. But there's still a great deal of wish fulfilment in the story.

How about shoujo with a super-klutzy wristcutter?

She's always accidentally cutting someone else's wrists instead of her own. It would be a dark comedy.

faridmon

As good as Kimi ni Todoke is, Pdot is basically right. Sawako offers a nice middle ground between the super klutzes of shoujo romcoms and the wristcutters of shoujo melodramas - she's a pleasant, quiet girl with self-esteem issues in an essentially heartwarming story. But there's still a great deal of wish fulfilment in the story.

It strikes me that Watamote's cringe humour is like watching the original UK version of The Office and David Brent (Ricky Gervais's character). His complete social unawareness is incredibly cringeworthy - so much so that I can't watch it, it's too uncomfortably realistic - but there's a vague glimmer of something sympathetic in there. I'm not sure whether Watamote has that glimmer (I don't watch it) - is Tomoko completely irredeemable?

Watemote is very self-destructive. The Office differs in such way that you could relate to the character. Gravis acts like that, but you could see it happening, and there is, as you said, glimmer of humanism in his action despite his judgemental errors that gets him into embarrassing situations.

Watemoto relies on this one trick pony that is the cringe worthy stupidity that takes place without any redeeming progression in its character. The character its self is very detestable, not only in how pathetic it tries to get grips with her reality, but how selfish she acts within her head.

Its a very sadistic show so far that appears to be its only redeeming feature.

Its not even that funny.

This is only from reading the manga, but tomoko becoming a less cringy person would take a major story arc to occur.

That is good to know!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

(if the above sounds flippant, it is, and I apologise if it offends anyone - but if you've read/seen things like Bokura ga Ita, you know what I mean about shoujo melodramas...)
I think what makes KnT more than a typical shoujo is that she isn't trumped by a white knight, nor does she need a white knight to save her. Sure, it's aspirational and idealized, but it's not the immediate wishfullfilment hit that you get in other shoujos.

It strikes me that Watamote's cringe humour is like watching the original UK version of The Office and David Brent (Ricky Gervais's character). His complete social unawareness is incredibly cringeworthy - so much so that I can't watch it, it's too uncomfortably realistic - but there's a vague glimmer of something sympathetic in there. I'm not sure whether Watamote has that glimmer (I don't watch it) - is Tomoko completely irredeemable?
Of course the difference is that in a lot of cringe comedy, you don't have internal monologues describe the state of mind of the character being awkward. Probably the only show that comes close to what WataMote does is Peep Show in terms of showing the deprave awkwardness that we hope to avoid but giving a voice to how one puts oneself into that position in the first place.

Kasuga could at least fake it until Nakamura came into his life. Tomoko doesn't even have that ability.
True, although both feel superior to everyone else around them and use that as an excuse to justify their own inability to socialize. Baudelaire is Kasuga's otomege after all.

Another good point. The fact taht the series relies on this pathetic attempt to actually not sympathise with the character might provide another angle of discomfort.
Except that's why I like it, anyway. lol

Theonik

It's a shame that Ojamajo Sentai Majo Rangers - 02, is in the last season, also
it needed more Majo Purple
That does sound like a huge shame indeed. Oh well. It's not the first time we are teased with this either. (not from Doremi I mean anime in general)

cnet128

Banned
Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou 9

Ohhhhh boy.
I had a feeling that might not be the real Akari from the moment she showed up in the garden - Luna had asked Akari to come with her when she left, and Akari had quite firmly refused; why would she have suddenly changed her mind? - and she made herself even more suspicious when she avoided Luna's question about what she had said to Seira. But even so, that final scene when fake-Akari went full-on creepytastic, toying with Luna's emotions and then stabbing her, was pretty brutal. Even without the oh-god-now-Luna's-a-Daemonia part. Being Luna is suffering.

To tell the truth, I was kind of hoping my suspicions about Akari would be proven wrong, because it's a shame that the cute yuritastic scene with the two of them in bed together is now tainted by the fact that one of them was an impostor the whole time. Ruining yuritastic pyjama scenes? That's pretty unforgivable, you shapeshifting ass. Even if you're the one who orchestrated the scene in the first place.

Ojamajo Doremi #29
The "scary" episode, one of the stories being a slightly more kid friendly version of Corpse Party, in which the events for the test of courage end up being about. Of course we see our Hazuki x Yada pairing, as well as Aiko x Nobu pairing..... and I guess Doremi x Onpu (the least likely). Tamaki was a STOP HAVING FUN GUYS person, but she got a taste of fear.

You just don't believe in the plasma.

Ojamajo Doremi #30

Sexy Seki and Sexy Onpu has graced us with this episode. Wish there was a better shot of Sexy Onpu though.

Seki has a boyfriend, and the gang decides to test him!
Too bad he leaves for New York. But they'll meet again after the graduation.

I need to look up Sexy Onpu, seems I don't remember her, and about the spoiler...
Oh they will, heh heh heh
. =)

They were thinking of SDBurton when they made this ep.

They were thinking of
trolling
SDBurton.

cnet128

Banned
You sadistic bastards. All of you

:p

I think it's more masochism if anything. We're not relishing Tomoko's suffering in a spiteful manner, we're empathising with it and then somehow enjoying our own resulting discomfort. I don't even know how that works, but somehow it does.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 25

So Busujima's new plan is to use nukes, because, you know, it isn't like he doesn't have TWO GIANT ROBOTS HE CAN DEPLOY TO SAVE FACE. Nope, gotta nuke it. It's the only way to be (un)sure. Why use a scalpel for heart surgery when I have this perfectly good mallet?

Anyway, the opening scenes of the battle atop the Heterodyne were pretty awesome, as was seeing Akagi and company running around town looking for survivors and seeing the characters cope with the fact that all their efforts from the beginning of the show are possibly about to be invalidated by an inexplicable giant monster and a trigger happy soldier looking to save some face.

And proving he's not desk jockey, Mr. Shirota basically flips off the United Nations' military arm, technically STEALS their Kokubogars, gives an expensive plane to the Dai-Guard team, and while he will definitely be facing a Court Martial at the least for all of this, manages to get away with it in that the UN goes "Oh sure, if his plan works we'll let it work out."

Shirota is badass.

Tomoko isn't irredeemable, she's just incredibly pitiable. It's the far end of the "socially awkward without being severely mentally disabled" scale, while still being somewhat relateable. The girl cries, gets upset, but still tries to convince herself the other parties are at fault, despite knowing deep down it's her own.

The difference is there isn't really any glimmer of hope. Despite everything, Tomoko continues to fuck herself over in social situations, continues to deal with the cognitive dissonance of feeling bad for herself and blaming others simultaneously, continues to miss otherwise perfect opportunities, and even after all this, she has made incredibly little progress (the progress being debatable as is). That last part is solely about the manga. From what we've seen in the anime, she's actually regressed.

Worst part is I can relate to all of it.

Ojamajo Doremi #32

You know the amount of plot that is happening just feels so unreal coming from the first season, feels like it's getting closer to the usual Mahou Shoujo... but no MotWs at least.

The F in Flat decides to mess with Hazuki, but ends up "studying" her and came across Masaru (RIVALRY).
Oh and the fairies got trapped inside a laptop and activated sexy mode. (the least important part of the episode too despite the episode name.)

I want more Daifuku.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 2

iQe4RRPpzoEDI.jpg

I'm going to have nightmares.

I think I'm starting to get Labra. Miyukichi's delivery even when she's usually just saying her name (and sometimes other things) absolutely destroys me. Also Brono Daisuke > rest of the KiraDeco5.

Branduil

Of course the difference is that in a lot of cringe comedy, you don't have internal monologues describe the state of mind of the character being awkward. Probably the only show that comes close to what WataMote does is Peep Show in terms of showing the deprave awkwardness that we hope to avoid but giving a voice to how one puts oneself into that position in the first place.

True, although both feel superior to everyone else around them and use that as an excuse to justify their own inability to socialize. Baudelaire is Kasuga's otomege after all.

You should check out the new Rozen Maiden.

Novid

Banned
You watch Star Trek, it shouldn't be that baffling a concept, lol.

Speaking of Trek I disagreed with Firehawk's statement about the second movie. If I see JJ Trek as more of the Irresponsible Capt Tyler anime instead of Original Universe trek, then the movie is better than it had to be.

Branduil

Speaking of Trek I disagreed with Firehawk's statement about the second movie. If I see JJ Trek as more of the Irresponsible Capt Tyler anime instead of Original Universe trek, then the movie is better than it had to be.

Does Irresponsible Captain Tyler constantly reference good Star Trek movies?

wonzo

Banned
This whole thing with Oreimo exposes the dark truth of Heterosexual relationships - that they need a secondary crux for even a dude to even touch a woman in the modern age.

The whole gig was a "fetish", but back then (and still in other places) - the woman was given to man on a platter, or drunk forced into relations. Ever since the concept of respecting women as human beings came to the front - not in the Chivalric way of keeping the "fetish" alive, but in to giving women a chance to find there own way in life, these issues have popped up in ways in both the east and the west that have created this addictions and concepts as away to cope with the reality of the situation.

So you have the whole edifice coming down. Women's movement in both west and east (with a bit of free market machinations) has shown that the whole gig of heterosexual courtship is a illusion, and what shows like KNJ, Oreimo and the like say is that none of our concepts of law, religion, etc can solve these issues because the very basis of this is the self hatred of man towards himself and by extension, everybody around him. Man is the king of nothing and needs the illusions (even if they were created by media, social structures of how men relate to one another and so on) in order to live.

This is the reason why I see shows like Oreimo as the symptom of a larger issue and not nessaerly the cause. Basically, man could never be with women or even have sex with one unless given one, the woman being submissive to the man, or if Zizek is correct - man becoming apart of a nightmare where his desire is realized. The only reason we even are with females in the first place is that its acceptable by social rule and not by need. Anybody can have kids, but that doesn't even mean the two that brought the child in the world even really wanted to be with each other.

So, to even have sex anymore - man needs the fetish. That's were all the dark shit comes from. That's the true lesson of Oreimo, KNJ etc.
animepsychology.txt

No sane person could honestly even think of typing this shite.

Branduil

Fair Point but the stated it from the first movie that the same events happen but ends in different ways.

Yes I remember that convenient justification for retread plots in the first movie. I was just hoping they wouldn't actually follow through on it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does Irresponsible Captain Tyler constantly reference good Star Trek movies?
lol

You watch Star Trek, it shouldn't be that baffling a concept, lol.
I suppose I could just get over the cognitive dissonance of battling dolls eventually. If only one of them was played by a bald British Shakespearean actor!

haikira

Blood-C has caught my interest and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Bluray boxset. Just want to know one thing though. Do I need to have seen any previous shows, before watching it? Sorry to use you guys as google, but I heard it's an easy to spoil show and didn't want to do too much reading up on it.

Been out of the anime loop for a long time, but I just randomly bought Eden of the East collection recently and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Just wondering if there's any other must watch recent Anime? A friend brought Attack on Titan to my attention and I'll be giving it a go sometime. Black Lagoon and Steins;Gate: are two other shows I'm interested in, having just read the reviews for them on Bluray.com.

Dresden

Blood-C has caught my interest and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Bluray boxset. Just want to know one thing though. Do I need to have seen any previous shows, before watching it? Sorry to use you guys as google, but I heard it's an easy to spoil show and didn't want to do too much reading up on it.

Don't need the earlier shows.

Been out of the anime loop for a long time, but I just randomly bought Eden of the East collection recently and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Just wondering if there's any other must watch recent Anime? A friend brought Attack on Titan to my attention and I'll be giving it a go sometime.

Hyouka
From the New World
Aku no Hana

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm the only one who will say this, but you should watch the Eden of the East movies if they're not included in that collection.

Novid

Banned
I think toonami gaf - I say with all the love for them as a straight man can have in the world didn't truly understand why they had to digitally censor that part in Eva 1.1.

Its the same reason why 4kids when it existed had to lower the uniform from Yugioh Zexal.

but you see the Japanese sadly took it too far and wanted Crunchyroll to "respect their culture" by destroying 4Kids over some trumped up charges.

Partly the reason we are COD culture now, war to the nth degree, no questions asked.

Branduil

I suppose I could just get over the cognitive dissonance of battling dolls eventually. If only one of them was played by a bald British Shakespearean actor!

Well,
there hasn't been much battling until the latest episode. It's mostly about Jun's insecurities and antisocial tendencies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well,
there hasn't been much battling until the latest episode. It's mostly about Jun's insecurities and antisocial tendencies.
Ah, I just assumed they
battle because of all the weird stuff about absorbing powers and whatnot in the first episode.

haikira

I'm the only one who will say this, but you should watch the Eden of the East movies if they're not included in that collection.

Yup, they're included. I'm guessing they're not thought of highly then? I never really read up too much about the show. I just tried a little on Netflix, which i liked and saw the series had a good review on Bluray.com.

I'll still watch them, but I'm just curious, what's the setup? Does the show wrap things up properly and they act as an epilouge/spin off or are the movies the ending?

EDIT: Also, cheers Dedication Through Light, for the recommendation. I'll be putting everything people throw at me in a big list. =D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yup, they're included. I'm guessing they're not thought of highly then? I never really read up too much about the show. I just tried a little on Netflix, which i liked and saw the series had a good review on Bluray.com.

I'll still watch them, but I'm just curious, what's the setup? Does the show wrap things up properly and they act as an epilouge/spin off or are the movies the ending?

EDIT: Also, cheers Dedication Through Light, for the recommendation. I'll be putting everything people throw at me in a big list. =D

The first film provides thematic closure and the second film provides all the plot answers left hanging in the series. The series itself ends on a massive cliffhanger, iirc.

Metrotab

Banned
Watamote - 8

The library scenes uuuurrrrghhhh

There is a background track that always reminds me of Iron Butterfly's In-a-gadda-da-vida. They better release the soundtrack.

CorvoSol

animepsychology.txt

No sane person could honestly even think of typing this shite.

I'm not entirely sure, but it kind of sounds like what Novid is saying is crazy crazy crazy.
I don't think I want to go any further down this train of thought.

Dai-Guard Final

This was a really great series, I thought. I enjoyed the concept of a company financing a giant robot, and I feel that, from the perspective of the writing, the mission was accomplished. Even with Akagi's over the top antics and the goofy nature of other members of the cast, the show still does a very good job of demonstrating that the characters are indeed ordinary people leading ordinary lives with ordinary jobs (and one extraordinary element included!) It has oft been said that mecha works best as a vehicle for telling another story, and this show does a great job of demonstrating that.

I really enjoyed the characters, the fights, and the music in this show. Even if there was no greater, overarching plot about defeating Heterodyne once and for all, there was still a good amount of development for the cast, and the chance to explore the "real world" ramifications of financing a giant robot.

Although animation was never really stellar, I would still recommend this to fans of mecha. Dai-Guard was a good 26 episode ride.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Milky Holmes 8

I kind of feel like this whole episode was just saying to me in an accusing tone "Why haven't you played the second Milky Holmes game yet? Well? Why haven't you?" Basically it was just one big cameo for the MC of that game, showing off how awesome she is.

...Actually, if the point of the episode was to get more people to buy the game, it might be working, because I'm suddenly feeling tempted to jump on the PS Store on my Vita and do exactly that >.<

TWGOK S3 8

Disappointed since everything felt so rush. Especially, the last few minutes after Chihiro invited Keima.

Though, seeing a bunny girl Kusunoki making a cameo was a pleasant surprise. Chihiro and Ayumi both looked really cute when they dressed up for the festival as well.

Next episode should be good
and a absolute train wreck to watch.

yami4ct

Been out of the anime loop for a long time, but I just randomly bought Eden of the East collection recently and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Just wondering if there's any other must watch recent Anime? A friend brought Attack on Titan to my attention and I'll be giving it a go sometime. Black Lagoon and Steins;Gate: are two other shows I'm interested in, having just read the reviews for them on Bluray.com.

With Blood-C, no you don't need any Blood show experience to enjoy it. Also note, it's not at all what you'll be expecting from it. For better or worse. Just try to go in that one with as blank a slate as possible and let it take you for a ride.

As for general recommendations, my question is what genres/types of shows are you looking for? Without knowing anything, the general ones I'll throw out are Hunter x Hunter (2012), Aku no Hana (Anime adaptation is a bit funky, but great source shines through), Tsuritama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, Madoka Magica, Kids on the Slope and if you've never seen it, Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you give me an idea of what you like, I can target your tastes more directly.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 21: So they finally got to the fireworks factory and I can't deny this is episode was kind of awesome. Indeed I think we fund where the animation for this show went and it was this episode.
Ah, it is nice to see the foolish arrogance of the Survey Corp Mauve Shirts finally turned back on them. I understand where Eren is coming from on this Martyrdom trip, but he didn't transform because the Survey Corp kept going, we got this, don't you trust how awesome we are in the face of a new enemy. Also, yea, the MMA tagline really fits since it seems Eren and Female Titan entered The Octagon in this episode. New episode is also interesting at it puts the biggest badasses in the show against the most formidable of Titans.

Shergal

Just in time for Kaguya-Hime's theatrical release later this autumn, it looks like Japan's getting a Blu-ray release of Isao Takahata's main directorial debut from 1968, Horus: Prince of the Sun (also known as The Little Norse Prince in some countries), in early December.

(via WTK)

Oh shit, that's pretty cool. If nothing else Horus looks really good, except for the two animatics they had to insert.

They should also release his two non-Heidi WMT series, especially Anne I think was insanely popular at its time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou 9

Ohhhhh boy.
I had a feeling that might not be the real Akari from the moment she showed up in the garden - Luna had asked Akari to come with her when she left, and Akari had quite firmly refused; why would she have suddenly changed her mind? - and she made herself even more suspicious when she avoided Luna's question about what she had said to Seira. But even so, that final scene when fake-Akari went full-on creepytastic, toying with Luna's emotions and then stabbing her, was pretty brutal. Even without the oh-god-now-Luna's-a-Daemonia part. Being Luna is suffering.

To tell the truth, I was kind of hoping my suspicions about Akari would be proven wrong, because it's a shame that the cute yuritastic scene with the two of them in bed together is now tainted by the fact that one of them was an impostor the whole time. Ruining yuritastic pyjama scenes? That's pretty unforgivable, you shapeshifting ass. Even if you're the one who orchestrated the scene in the first place.

In fairness, it has always felt like Luna has been the third wheel in this love triangle, also speaking of yuri, it isn't just me that thinks that all the Tarot Card users are lesbians and idneed the older ones are actual couples right?

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 30

Sebastian's awesome. He flies the pinkest plane I've ever seen through turbulence and dragons all in the name of getting the Crystal Mirror (available in a toy store near you.) Loved the scene with Ai clinging to Makopi's frizzled hair. No Selfish fights, just a fairy who is also a dragon. Can they all do that? I thought turning into a human was special, but humans are better known for their fleeing than their fighting. Unless they're Mana, who comes up with the plan to fight a shield with another shield and can summon the glowy on command. I do like that Regina continues to be a motivating factor for Mana, though they really need to find a way to cut down on Ace's stock. I don't mind Aguri's backstory, but she doesn't need to be used for simple padding. Other than that, looking forward to seeing exactly what kind of toy the Crystal Mirror turns into. And wondering when that Eternal Golden Crown will come into play, that sounds kind of important. The Goddess of Hyrule have spoken!

Patlabor OVA 1-

I should also mention that I really liked the soundtrack near the end.

Kenji Kawai does pretty good work on the OVAs, but it pales in comparison to his work on the first and especially the second movies. When he's complementing Oshii's atmospheric direction, he's on fire.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 9

Another question regarding the adaptation: Is the children's story book that keeps coming up part of the manga or an addition to the anime? It's really nice.

The storybook is anime-original.

Rozen Maiden 6-9

I'm glad I'm all caught up now. There's been something of a sense of inevitability about these past few episodes which would normally annoy me -
I hate it when people do things that it's obvious to the audience are stupid and going to backfire on them, like Jun assembling Kirakishou's avatar,
but it didn't bother me here so much as there was so much else going on around it.

I understand what you're saying; it's the classic case where you scream at the horror movie protagonist "Don't open that door!" But that sort of thing only bothers me when a character's actions are so clearly nonsensical and don't fit with his overall behavior. With Jun, you can see the emotional logic that drives him to grasp any way offered to escape the life he hates. Plus,
he has no prior experience with Kirakishou and no reason to believe the messages he's getting are not from the other Jun.

That meme has ruined Suiseiseki. With that said, she barely even used it! Presumably a conscious decision by the scriptwriters (either that, or it was never as prevalent as I think it was in the original series).

Kanaria barely said kashira either!

Kanaria does end most of her sentences with "kashira"; she just hasn't appeared much. I think what you're sensing is the muted direction which tones down the quirks of the individual dolls, so things like speech tics don't get much emphasis. Suiseiseki's "desu" got less emphasis than the corresponding manga chapter, thankfully.

Also, in this case there's only one scriptwriter; Tomoki Mochizuki has written all the episodes so far.

The new Rozen Maiden is good. The 1st episode probably summarizes enough to get newbies up to speed, even if it isn't that enjoyable on its own.

I enjoyed the first episode; even if the story is necessarily compressed, the visuals alone are good enough to carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom