• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Motto To LOVE-ru: 12 (END)

XyCmx5e.jpg

And so ends this To LOVE-ru season, with the beginnings of the Harem plan, continued into To LOVE-ru Darkness. On one hand, this season was more focused than the first season, sticking close to the manga. On the other hand, however, it felt like it didn't have the comedic flow that the first season had. Still, worth the watch.

Dynedom

Uchouten Kazoku - 09

Following up from what I thought was an excellent episode last week, this episode was also good in its own ways. I think what stood out most to me this episode was the music. There were some funky tracks and beautiful tracks. The sound direction towards the end was fantastic (much like the previous episode's end). I need to go back and see if the music was always this good in previous episodes because it struck me hard the past 2.

Still loving the interactions between the Professor and Yasaburo. Definitely one of the best dynamics in the whole show. We finally get
the Kaisei reveal
and I do like the way it was done. The fact that
her appearance brings with her a warning
might need to be examined as the series goes on.

Definitely some heavy foreshadowing of the events to come with
the doctor looking for a Tanuki, the Ebisugawa brothers having a "plan" and the heavy talk on transfromations

God I love this show.

CorvoSol

I would have loved to see Anno actually make a serious attempt at following up 2.0 and giving Eva an interesting new ending. Still, I'm not sure he's capable of it. If he's not, I think the direction he went is way better than half-assing a serious go at it.

Even if Eva 4.0 is a complete flop and doesn't deliver on either serious plot or crazy, we will always have the end of Rebuild 2.0. For that, I will always be grateful to the rebuild films. If that's all we get, than it's still worth it.

I think I would have preferred a serious follow up to 2.0, and I think most people would have, too, but again, I can't really argue that making the viewer go "No I don't want this go back to the way it was please" was kind of the point of a film entitled "You Can (Not) Redo", and that that reaction fit the theme of the film.

Like, 3.0 was a bad movie, but it definitely got what it wanted to do done. For better or worse.

I'll be there to see 4.0 and watch it multiple times no matter how much it sucks anyway, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Its doing good for her! Btw I like that as slap to Ibuki's naivety.. I don't see Domeki as sympathetic, but her wackiness are fun.. Very memorable character, and her quote about humanity should just got used with Heterodynes as one of natural disaster are really unique in mecha show that usually just want to get rid of these monsters forever.

But what Domeki did WASN'T good for Ibuki. Ibuki freaked out when she told her that, froze up in front of a Heterodyne, and almost cost everyone their lives because Domeki did all of that. IF Ibuki had needed to hear all of that (and I don't think she did, since in the last episode she concludes that Domeki was still wrong, and that her father's reaction to seeing a Heterodyne wasn't what she was saying, but was more like Akagi's reaction to seeing a Heterodyne), then there was undoubtedly a better way of telling her this.

My problem with Rika wasn't that she told her that, it was that she forced it on her in a horrible, intrusive way that literally caused her to crash and almost killed the whole team, and then Rika never apologizes or takes responsibility for what she has done. It's positively monstrous. She doesn't care about anyone or anything going on, so when she says that humanity should get used to the threat of Heterodynes, it comes across as apathetic, and in contrast to the cast, who are busting their asses every day to save mankind from these things.

Domeki acts all sappy, but she's an apathetic jerk asshole.

Victory Gundam 17

STAND UP TO THE CLIP SHOW

Blood Lad Episode 9 Sins of the Eyeglasses
tumblr_msgkg4aLQZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The events felt more hilarious than they were in the manga, though not much else to say. I did get Knell and thats essentially all I wanted from the anime.

Gatchaman Crowds 8

I can already see the wheels spinning in Hajime's head on how to beat Berg-Katze and it's pretty brilliant. Truly one of the more unique spins on the sentai hero genre I've ever seen.

yami4ct

Gatchaman Crowds 8

I can already see the wheels spinning in Hajime's head on how to beat Berg-Katze and it's pretty brilliant. Truly one of the more unique spins on the sentai hero genre I've ever seen.

The longer this show goes, the more mixed on it I become. On the one hand, I love the themes of technology and social networking its exploring. It's got some great characters and the overall plot is great as well.

On the other hand, it has made the Gatchaman seem completely worthless. I find it hard to care about them because they never do anything. There are so few fights and no team action, so the masked hero aspect is completely wasted.

As a show by itself, it's pretty great. It's a pretty terrible sentai hero show, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who really enjoyed Arriety, I'm hoping they'll put more work on Yonebayashi's plate. He clearly has some talent and I think if they let him develop, we could get some really amazing works from him.
As someone who liked Poppy Hill, I'd be okay with more Goro films.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 4-
iEDce08uTv9bF.jpg

Nothing like elder abuse in the morning
Alright, this was a great episode. Visually it looks like there was a lot of fun with different artstyles and camera angles. The story itself was somewhat predictable but for a goofball episode, it actually held a serious point. Guns are dangerous everybody!
There were good shots like the one above that symbolize the wolves being the males as they prey on the females. There were shots like the one below that seemingly came straight out of Angel's Egg, which is somewhat appropriate when you think about the story for Angel's Egg anyway.
Overall this was a pretty fun episode that very much felt like Oshii as well. It was also kinda clever to play this off the Godzilla episode as well primarily because the audience expects the show to now have a supernatural slant to it and that plays against expectations.
ib2xv0gnz8owXF.jpg

There was also a bunch of :dtl this episode.
I also liked this scene for the way that the spotlight held the colors and the way the colors faded in and out depending on the spotlight, was a cool coloring trick.

Ojamajo Doremi #41

The Onpu boner appears again. You'd think he preferred older women, but his love for Onpu is something else.

More acting, with the T of Flat interfering this time. I don't entirely understand them considering they act like children (because they are), so I'm wondering if it'll play out like I think it is.

sidenote: Onpu saves Doremi and falls on top of her. Getting more opportunities than the first best friend.

mr. Bibappu

Neo Member
I'm feeling pretty optimistic about my decision to start watching Bleach again.
I stopped somewhere in the middle of the arrancar arc couple of years ago.
This decision is entirely motivated by listening to the awesome third OST, am I going to regret it?

yami4ct

This decision is entirely motivated by listening to the awesome third OST, am I going to regret it?

Bleach takes a massive, steep quality decline after like 1/2 way through the SS arc. It just keeps getting worse as time goes on. I hear the current manga arc that's not animated yet isn't terrible, but that's not saying much.

Arrancar saga is potentially the best arc in shonen action battle series, essentially rivaling that of the Future Arc in Reborn. Unfortunately, in Bleach, the arcs after Arrancar Saga dont live up to it, so satisfaction is actually not guaranteed.

Ending arc for the anime is good though, they got scandal and aimer, I was hyped.

Theonik

As someone who liked Poppy Hill, I'd be okay with more Goro films.
But Hayao had to step in to make that happen.
You know I wonder if that means he'll focus more at assistant/advisory roles rather than straight up leaving.

Neptunia 7

BASED SADISTIC KANAHANA. This show hasn't disappointed me with its absurd/stupid awesomeness yet. Also, fuck eggplants!
Eggplants are part of a healthy complete diet.

The longer this show goes, the more mixed on it I become. On the one hand, I love the themes of technology and social networking its exploring. It's got some great characters and the overall plot is great as well.

On the other hand, it has made the Gatchaman seem completely worthless. I find it hard to care about them because they never do anything. There are so few fights and no team action, so the masked hero aspect is completely wasted.

As a show by itself, it's pretty great. It's a pretty terrible sentai hero show, though.

I think that's kind of the point though, when Hajime befriended MESS it though things for a loop because the alien threat was no longer a threat needing Gatchaman to defeat it. In a sense Gatchaman Crowds could have easily been a 12 episode sentai series about new Gatchaman fighting MESS. Without a major alien threat is there really a need for super heroes like the Gatchaman ends up being the question that Rui/Load presents to Hajime and the audience during the middle part of the show.

Obviously we've learned of a new threat that's clearly going to require the Gatchaman in the final quarter of the series to defeat, and again the series could have easily started there and done 12 episodes of straight up sentai fighting people manipulated by social media. It's just nice to see a sentai esque show tell a fairly good story without the need for the standard shenanigans -> monster of the week fight -> shenanigans resolved structure that so many shows just copy paste.

yami4ct

I think that's kind of the point though, when Hajime befriended MESS it though things for a loop because the alien threat was no longer a threat needing Gatchaman to defeat it. In a sense Gatchaman Crowds could have easily been a 12 episode sentai series about new Gatchaman fighting MESS. Without a major alien threat is there really a need for super heroes like the Gatchaman ends up being the question that Rui/Load presents to Hajime and the audience during the middle part of the show.

Obviously we've learned of a new threat that's clearly going to require the Gatchaman in the final quarter of the series to defeat, and again the series could have easily started there and done 12 episodes of straight up sentai fighting people manipulated by social media. It's just nice to see a sentai esque show tell a fairly good story without the need for the standard shenanigans -> monster of the week fight -> shenanigans resolved structure that so many shows just copy paste.

The biggest problem with that is you make your heroes seem weak. Honestly, the Gatchaman in Crowds all seem like terrible heroes. There needs to be a balance. When Joe
lost to Berg Katse
all I could think was of course that happened because the gatchaman aren't very good heroes. The heroes need to be built up for their
defeats
to mean anything. This show wants it's cake and to eat it too.

Any one fight during the Arracar war arc is enjoyable, the problem is when you have around 15 fights that each last 2-3 episodes (or 4-6 chapters) with characters you don't have a particularly strong connection to it gets boring. And during this huge section of the anime or manga the plot doesn't move forward an inch it's just fight after fight after fight. If you can accept that then it's pretty enjoyable

The biggest problem with that is you make your heroes seem weak. Honestly, the Gatchaman in Crowds all seem like terrible heroes. There needs to be a balance. When Joe
lost to Berg Katse
all I could think was of course that happened because the gatchaman aren't very good heroes. The heroes need to be built up for their
defeats
to mean anything. This show wants it's cake and to eat it too.

I'm not sure how you can make that assessment when as you said yourself we really haven't see these Gatchaman fight at all. We know the group was beating MESS whenever it showed up before Hajime showed up and went all Hajime on the situation. I don't get this assertion that their "terrible heroes" when in a sense they saved the world from MESS and haven't really been presented with a new threat to battle until just recently. Every time MESS showed up in the first two episodes only 1-2 Gatchaman would actually fight it clearly they weren't a very strong threat where as our new villain is actually very powerful. Joe
losing to Berg Katse
was clearly just jobbing to establish this is a threat that all the Gatchaman will have to unite to defeat. As we've seen the Gatchaman before Hajime arrived weren't really united and this recent set of episodes has been about her breaking down the walls between them.

But Hayao had to step in to make that happen.
You know I wonder if that means he'll focus more at assistant/advisory roles rather than straight up leaving.

The press release specifically states that Miyazaki is retiring from feature film directing, so I'd expect him to hang around at Ghibli in a support role, perhaps directing some more shorts for the museum as well, instead of vanishing overnight.

Theonik

The press release specifically states that Miyazaki is retiring from feature film directing, so I'd expect him to hang around at Ghibli in a support role, perhaps directing some more shorts for the museum as well, instead of vanishing overnight.
That's how I interpret the wording of the Press release too.

I have the perfect picture to reply with but this is not the place to post it.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 36, 37, 38

The Precure get a training area, fail to remember teamwork, and get a new powerup weapon... vehicle... thingy. I dunno. Also, Miki loses the Clover box.

Ojamajo Doremi #42

A character development episode for Majo Heart, with a bit of world building too. We are shown Majo Ran, a witch who DOESN'T use magic with a bit of back story too
with Majo Heart being her foster mother due to being abandoned from her usage of magic. She was frustrated that she can't heal with magic.

We see the caring side where Heart tells Ran to not use magic to fix a vase, and ultimately the point that made Majo Ran avoid using magic. That's why we see her fixing a car without magic. She kidnaps Doremi (who didn't act like she was getting kidnapped), with Hana due to the circumstances behind them in order to get an audience with the Queen to re-open communications, her reasoning because Witches don't have "emotions" that can compare to a human because they're capable of fixing a vase for example, and won't be bothered with it, but it's a different story with humans. Having those emotions was what made humans compassionate with love and hate.

Queen said now's not the time, with Doremi coming in to use a healing balm on her, making Ran realize that Heart always loved her, and Ran is banished to the Human world due to trespassing. We then find out that Majo Heart left the human world and changed because she taught them medicine, which they then turned around and sold it for profits. On top of that, a war happened and destroyed a church, in which she lost all hope for humanity, but didn't tell Ran at the time because she couldn't understand. They reconcile at the end, with Majo Heart telling her she'll see her again soon.

Well that was a pretty good episode.

Fresh Pretty Cure: 36, 37, 38

The Precure get a training area, fail to remember teamwork, and get a new powerup weapon... vehicle... thingy. I dunno. Also, Miki loses the Clover box.

Another reason why Miki is a terrible person and how Toei secretly hates her.

Also Miki could never be as terrible as Hikari was so the point is moot.

Hikari was terrible because they fucked up on handling her overall character, especially since she's the "main" character, on top of shoehorning her in places where she shouldn't be, on top of being utterly useless (and they even told her to stop being useful when she wanted to actually do something to prevent a trope from happening). She was just boring though.

Miki, while I never placed her as worse than Hikari overall, she truly is a terrible person. Or rather completely shallow, even with her catchphrase "I'm perfect". Just screams shallow glamour girl, and they take all the time to flesh out just how shallow of a person she is, on top of throwing her under a bus when it comes to certain aspects of her entirety. One of which is a spoiler that I can't really reveal because Tenumi isn't there yet.

cajunator

Banned
Hikari was terrible because they fucked up on handling her overall character, especially since she's the "main" character, on top of shoehorning her in places where she shouldn't be, on top of being utterly useless (and they even told her to stop being useful when she wanted to actually do something to prevent a trope from happening). She was just boring though.

Miki, while I never placed her as worse than Hikari overall, she truly is a terrible person. Or rather completely shallow, even with her catchphrase "I'm perfect". Just screams shallow glamour girl, and they take all the time to flesh out just how shallow of a person she is, on top of throwing her under a bus when it comes to certain aspects of her entirety. One of which is a spoiler that I can't really reveal because Tenumi isn't there yet.

Miki sounds pretty awesome. I bet she's not terrible at all.

Ojamajo Doremi #43

Yes, Babies poop Reika.

Surprised we didn't have this one much sooner, but the FLAT 4 decides to get involved... well, Akatsuki was the only one actively going for Hana. The other three was stalking their designated targets.

Weird shit happened today due to Hana's magic. Could potentially mean something.

EDIT: *few seconds into the next episode* AIKO EPISODE!

Tenumi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena: 04

Himemiya gets slapped, take a drink...

You know, this is a rather calming series, at least right now. Slow paced, but still moving along enough to keep interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom