• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena: 04

Himemiya gets slapped, take a drink...

You know, this is a rather calming series, at least right now. Slow paced, but still moving along enough to keep interest.

Tenumi this will be one of the most unique anime you will ever see. Theres literally nothing like Utena that I can think of.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 45
ieZhyRZQB0WhD.png

Pop and her Stormtroopers.
Another really great episode. Feeling really bad for Pop being the butt of the joke with her sleeping and all but she still got a consolation prize.
Onpu's selfless decision was also touching. Could it be that she's learning?
Pop's message to Santa was also touching s hell if not predictable.
Another thing I liked was the use of Christmas song covers for the music. Will never get tired of those.
Preview makes the next episode also seem amazing.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena: 04

Himemiya gets slapped, take a drink...

You know, this is a rather calming series, at least right now. Slow paced, but still moving along enough to keep interest.

Every time Utena shouts "Himemiya!", an angel gets its wings.

Ojamajo Doremi #44

And here we have #'s Christmas episode, Onpu and Aiko have a bit more spotlight here with the other two just doping about because they're the least busy of the two, and Doremi's steak boner has failed her twice.

The sudden change of situation for Onpu getting together with her folks to meet an idoru caused her to run away and leap into Doremi's arms threatening to quit the showbiz.
Of course her dad said otherwise and thus she continued

With Aiko, she gets ready to tell dad that she's been meeting Mom in secret as she keeps going with her plan to get them back together. Her mother is worried that Aiko will be strained as she progresses through school, and that went places.

Christmas episode is consistent with what's being given with # at least.

Oh... and Doremi was a good big sister.

Makai Ouji - Devils and Realist 09

A nice action packed episode since the main character was asleep for the whole length of the episode.

Mushibugyo 21

Boring fight deserves a boring end.

Would actually have been interesting if Koikawa agreed with the insects to liking to kill and not caring about his past victims.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Time to catch up!

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 14

Their plastic shit is so advanced at this point that the usual reload/refuel methods don't work anymore! Time for them to sell their bodies to science.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 15

Somehow I feel that this episode is still a warning shot, despite things getting resolved.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 16

Well, they tried. That's what counts.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 17

Really nice project you got going there. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 18

That's the spirit! Much better than some fuddy duddies around here.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 19

I can't believe my father is this cute.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 20

Momoko is a girl who finds life itself enthralling. Don't let others pull you down!

cnet128

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 9

Delicious Kaisei is delicious.

I just hope nobody takes that too literally.
There's got to be a tanuki caught for the pot sooner or later, and it had better not be her. It would be satisfying if it was one of her brothers, but that might be a little too much to hope for =p

Mushibugyo 21

Boring fight deserves a boring end.

Would actually have been interesting if Koikawa agreed with the insects to liking to kill and not caring about his past victims.
I agree it would have made him more badass but this path is not really used in those kind of shonen shows... so im not surprised that they bailed out.
Next week looks extra boring too

Blood Lad 09

ZU3BrNfl.jpg

The delivery and the music in this scene made it all worthwhile.

We also got Wakamoto as the evil king while not his best performance, was still a treat.

I guess this anime isn't gonna go past what I read of the manga (which is also how far up the North America release has gotten up to) and I can imagine what scene they'll probably end it on which would be a nice way to end this short adaptation. We got half a volume of material left so they'll probably make it all the way to the end.

Ojamajo Doremi #45

What if Ojamajo Doremi was a period drama? You'd get this episode, explaining the origins of the school using caricatures of our current cast but set in the past. With the magical girl stuff going on as well. Which actually sort've gives us a hint of how everything will end.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 21

Turns out that one man's kidnapping is another man's happy adventure time that makes you endearing.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 22

Tsun the way it was meant to be!

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 23

I'm sure Mamoru ponders this now and then.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 24

Whoa, speaking of which.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 25

I hope that package was insured.

cajunator

Banned
Why is Ojamajo Doremi so hyped up? It look like any other long running mahou shoujo show in terms of plot/events/character types. Is it the expressions in it?

cnet128

Banned
Fantasista Doll 8

Uzume's little sister continues to be best girl.

Also we now have battles being won through the power of
onion-chopping
. So that was a thing.

Why is Ojamajo Doremi so hyped up? It look like any other long running mahou shoujo show in terms of plot/events/character types. Is it the expressions in it?

Magic isn't as big as other mahou shoujos, therefore "plot of the week" episodes aren't hindered by Monsters of the Week.

Speaking of which, it has no Monsters of the Week. Magic is sometimes used to help, but not to the extent where everything is fixed. Sometimes nothing is fixed, and thus they have to rely on their humanity to solve a problem. So right there alone makes it not like other mahou shoujos.

That and considering the general age of the characters that get exposure, it explores themes rather maturily. Like... lets compare it to say... an M-rated game. Despite being colorful as fuck, Doremi beats them handily here.

The show does not exist just to primarily promote the main characters, the anime dedicates itself to flesh out its characters, from their teachers, to students, to parents and even to the witches. There's also the whole flesh out the world bit over the course of the show, and each season basically focuses on a specific theme, and explores that very well (ie. # is all about parenthood).

It frankly needs more promotion.

cajunator

Banned
Magic isn't as big as other mahou shoujos, therefore "plot of the week" episodes aren't hindered by Monsters of the Week.

Speaking of which, it has no Monsters of the Week. Magic is sometimes used to help, but not to the extent where everything is fixed. Sometimes nothing is fixed, and thus they have to rely on their humanity to solve a problem. So right there alone makes it not like other mahou shoujos.

That and considering the general age of the characters that get exposure, it explores themes rather maturily. Like... lets compare it to say... an M-rated game. Despite being colorful as fuck, Doremi beats them handily here.

The show does not exist just to primarily promote the main characters, the anime dedicates itself to flesh out its characters, from their teachers, to students, to parents and even to the witches. There's also the whole flesh out the world bit over the course of the show, and each season basically focuses on a specific theme, and explores that very well (ie. # is all about parenthood).

It frankly needs more promotion.

Ok so its not MOTW format. thats good at least. I get really tired of that format.

Ojamajo Doremi #46

It was the final examination, but now we're going into the final arc, on top of the FLAT 4 revealing themselves to the crew. And they explained their real purpose now.

And they made up, too bad Oyajiide shows up to ruin the fun. Gotta stop this now before we get into a War. Hey look, that Period drama did allude to this!

Muromi-san OVA

7F4pspil.jpg

A double length episode that was funny at times and wasn't funny at times.

I did like the whole Snow White bit but the Little Mermaid one dragged and hell, I forgot it was suppose to be a flashback at times.

Eva 3.3

About the only thing I can really say about this movie is that at least Shinji didn't have a fucking clue what was going on either.

Orchestrated Hedgehog's Dilemma was nice though.

lol seriously Gendo still the ultimate chessmaster? God, I have no idea what's even happening anymore. Yay

yay, Asuka. At least you know what's going on.

That was one of the best things about EVA 3.0. The way the audience is also kept in the dark about what has happened, just like Shinji, was really masterful. It leads to us being frustrated, just like Shinji, and maybe even understand or support his actions. For instance , I was actually glad
Shinji left Wunder and towards NERV.

Articalys

It's amusing to think of it in the sense that Toei has had three main "flagship" TV Asahi magical girl show dynasties: Sailor Moon from March 1992 through February 1997, Doremi from February 1999 through January 2003, and of course Precure since Februrary 2004, each catering to a somewhat different market.

BluWacky

I just wish it had a more appealing art style.

I'm kind of surprised that you don't find it cute, cajun. I mean, you find everything cute!

I guess there's a difference between "girly cute" - which I think Doremi's designs are, they look like fun little girl-type designs - and "moe cute". But then I thought you liked both!

cajunator

Banned
It's amusing to think of it in the sense that Toei has had three main "flagship" TV Asahi magical girl show dynasties: Sailor Moon from March 1992 through February 1997, Doremi from February 1999 through January 2003, and of course Precure since Februrary 2004, each catering to a somewhat different market.

Toei has a godlike command of the mahou shoujo market.

So From Up on Poppy Hill comes out on Blu Ray on tuesday, anyone going to pick it up? I think i'll rent it on Netflix.

Wait, its out in the US on bluray soon? Shit I must missed that. Or more likely dont remember reading it.

Ojamajo Doremi #47

It was all one big misunderstanding. The King didn't want to wage a war, he just wanted his old form back. So it was our pesky duo who mistook it for wanting to go to war.

But everything turned out just fine. The Door was unsealed, Wizard Land is prospering, Doremi's treat has ROYAL SEEDS, and Hana's back.

But then apparently there's some shit brewing at the end, because we have 2 episodes left.

cajunator

Banned
I'm kind of surprised that you don't find it cute, cajun. I mean, you find everything cute!

I guess there's a difference between "girly cute" - which I think Doremi's designs are, they look like fun little girl-type designs - and "moe cute". But then I thought you liked both!

It is cute. I just would prefer a less chibi looking art style, something more like Precure.

Andrew J.

An excellent sakuga gif, commensurate with the quality of the franchise from whence it originated.

(Start hating on Star Driver, I dare you.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 26

Everyone not in Aiko's cooking group isn't eating nearly as well.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 27

Fucking racist elephants. Buddha would be ashamed.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 28

Haha, Hazuki learns not to be condescending while Doremi tries to pass off her own job as "research" for school.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 29

Don't get lost in a crowd. You won't always have a mysterious guy to help you out.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 30

Momoko is clearly a Hokuto fan.

I just wish it had a more appealing art style.

I...agree with you. I know this is coming from the man who practically judged the whole show from the 4kids dub (which I then quickly learned here is like saying a chocolate cake tastes horrible after pouring dirty toilet water all over it) but the art style just didn't agree with me. It wasn't horrible, just...distracting. I don't know, I just like looking at more detailed animation in anime IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom