• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

They started joining the light music clubs years ago and it resulted in them branching off into actual bands now?

Well, okay.

Their analysis came up with one of the reasons for the boom being that there are lotsa girls in High School Light Music Clubs right now and that was a natural offshoot of it.

It sounded like it was a new phenomenon.

Nudull

Banned
Holy crap, am I behind on my anime. I really should try and keep up, and thankfully, my job that's coming up soon is a graveyard shift, so... owo

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 1

Music feels more American now too. Larger foreheads! Blonde Girls! Eye catches really feel American. Hell the transforming is rather... long ish.
Outfits have a definite cowgirl feel, too.

And yeah, Motto's magical stage is easily the worst in the franchise. Fortunately everything that's wrong with it gets fixed in Dokkan.

Minami-ke natsuyasumi

Minami-ke_Natsuyasumi.jpg

Hataraku maou-sama ?in my minami-ke ?

Not enough comedy ... even if this was an "ok" moment ... it was lacking in too many areas

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 2

2 episodes in,
and we have someone dead already

And we find out why Momoko was good at japanese. THE SUITS GIVE US TRANSLATORS, fucking boss!

So I guess we find out why she has the earring at least, since it was a momento basically. and then the first spoiler happened.
What's with these girls using forbidden magic as soon as they get it?

But hey, free Japanese/English lessons!

Minami-ke 2

Not as polished as the first episode, unsurprisingly, but still fun. It relied more exclusively on conversational humor than the first episode's slapstick. It worked mostly due to the balance it maintains between absurdity and mundanity. I like the detailed face close-ups it cuts to:

RQh0Gsc.jpg

Normally a gag face is less detailed than the regular character design, so it's unusual to see something like this.

I'm rather fond of the time-lapse technique, as seen here when Makoto is standing with his buckets of water. It's an elegant way to show the passage of time, and can either be comedic as in this show, or serious as in Rozen Maiden or Kara no Kyoukai 5.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 5-
Well fuck. Shit just got real. Military vs. police showdown time. There wasn't really any buildup though for this unless it ties to the Babylon Project somehow.
I'm also really enjoying the comedic moments during the show. The characters are fun to watch even without the team dynamic.
iutzf4QTg0Vrf.gif

Oh and wow at the above gif. First bit of animation during the series that kinda blew me away.

Syrinx

Haibane Renmei 3

I'm kinda surprised that the Haibane Renmei let the Haibane choose where they work. I had gotten the impression that they had their jobs chosen for them, but it appears I was mistaken. They can choose, albeit from a very limited number of places that are allowed to let Haibane work for them, which mostly seems to be really old places, like how the bakery Hikari works at is the only one that employs Haibane because it's the oldest in town.

One thing about this show that I think is kinda interesting, though I might be misguided when I say this, is that despite how the laws set in place a sort of second-class lifestyle for the Haibane in the town, not being able to have money and only being able to wear used clothes or ones they made by hand, only being allowed to work in certain places, etc., I haven't really seen any of the regular humans act particularly hostile toward them. The (admittedly few) humans that they've actually spoken to, such as the clothing store owner and Hikari's coworkers at the bakery, seemed fine toward them. Perhaps I''m wrong, or this will change, or this has nothing to do with the show, but I found it notable.

Patlabor OVA 5-

Well fuck. Shit just got real. Military vs. police showdown time. There wasn't really any buildup though for this unless it ties to the Babylon Project somehow.

The Babylon Project gets used more in the first movie (and somewhat in the TV show) than in the first OVA series. Looking back on it, this two-parter was a dry run for concepts that Oshii would explore in greater detail in the two Patlabor films.

Haibane Renmei 3

One thing about this show that I think is kinda interesting, though I might be misguided when I say this, is that despite how the laws set in place a sort of second-class lifestyle for the Haibane in the town, not being able to have money and only being able to wear used clothes or ones they made by hand, only being allowed to work in certain places, etc., I haven't really seen any of the regular humans act particularly hostile toward them. The (admittedly few) humans that they've actually spoken to, such as the clothing store owner and Hikari's coworkers at the bakery, seemed fine toward them. Perhaps I''m wrong, or this will change, or this has nothing to do with the show, but I found it notable.

The Haibane are something like second-class citizens due to the restrictions on them, but they're somewhat revered by the townspeople due to their angel-like appearance.

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 3

I'm kinda surprised that the Haibane Renmei let the Haibane choose where they work. I had gotten the impression that they had their jobs chosen for them, but it appears I was mistaken. They can choose, albeit from a very limited number of places that are allowed to let Haibane work for them, which mostly seems to be really old places, like how the bakery Hikari works at is the only one that employs Haibane because it's the oldest in town.

Generally the Haibane are well respected as special citizens of the town but because they have limited privelege they can only work certain places and wear hand me downs. They arent really second class but more like a monastery sort of thing with traditionally imposed rules they must follow.
You will encounter several more mysterious things and ask plenty more questions before its over.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 3

Much like Aiko and Onpu when they first appeared, Momoko came off like a jackass
and I loved it
. The idea of how we talk to people is sort of strange. With the whole consider others feelings in Japan vs Hey we can say shit to people in America. (no wonder I started straying from sugar coating... HA, get it). But at least her jackassness made Hazuki and Onpu level up, and Momoko did reflect on my actions. Onpu wasn't "mad" (I don't believe you).

JACKASSES! JACKASSES EVERYWHERE!

I guess it also ties into Reika getting more development, and they actually decided to target the whole Reika isn't actually popular with anyone dealio from the first two seasons, on top of comparing her to Mary, someone that Momo knew in America. Upon realizing Mary wasn't a complete piece of shit, she decides to befriend Reika. Hope this means great things for her.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 6-
This soundtrack be banging. Straight out of the 80's baby. Overall a pretty interesting arc that seems to foreshadow stuff than actually detail anything in the world or thematically. I think the point of the arc was to show Goto's true colors though. I'm guessing he's a revolutionary as well and I'm sure his time is coming.
ibkRTHdBl9cOCt.jpg

All 2D mechs should be given this amount of attention and love. 3D mechs can burn in a fire.

zeroshiki

NTV just announced that in honor of Hayao Miyazaki's retirement, they are pre-empting (cancelling?) the showing of X-Men Origins: Wolverine in their Friday Roadshow timeslot and instead showing Porco Rosso.

20%+ ratings incoming.

Dresden

NTV just announced that in honor of Hayao Miyazaki's retirement, they are pre-empting (cancelling?) the showing of X-Men Origins: Wolverine in their Friday Roadshow timeslot and instead showing Porco Rosso.

20%+ ratings incoming.

Obviously haven't seen Kaze Tachinu yet, but Porco seems like the appropriate choice here.

cajunator

Banned

20%+ ratings incoming.

Thats one of the few Miyazaki films I havent seen yet.

zeroshiki

Obviously haven't seen Kaze Tachinu yet, but Porco seems like the appropriate choice here.

Yeah, there was a comment from an NTV producer who said that they felt Porco felt like the right movie to send Miyazaki off on plus the link with Kaze Tachinu. They're actually showing it out of turn too since Porco Rosso just got shown last year and they do an every other year rotation for Ghibli movies.

Porco Rosso is the most personal film Miyazaki's directed (not counting The Wind Rises), considering the protagonist is an older man preoccupied with flying instead of the young girls of most of his films.

20%+ ratings incoming.

That's a pretty big jump in quality.

In other news, NTV hates their viewers enough to consider showing them X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVA 7-
So at first I thought this was a terrible episode but then the last fight sequence happened. It's kinda weird but I think this is a really well directed episode visually, the problem is that the material itself is pretty boring. It's a pretty dry case and there isn't anything interesting about it. I should also mention that I'm in love with this soundtrack. It's so Mega Manish.
I also really do love the character expressions in the show. It helps give the characters a sense of life.

zeroshiki

That's a pretty big jump in quality.

In other news, NTV hates their viewers enough to consider showing them X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

NTV sometimes shows movies from a series to promote new movies opening. In this case, the new Wolverine: Samurai movie is coming out so they were going to show this to promote it. Nothing was lost, clearly.

Its a good thing Miyazaki did the announcement this week because if it was last week, NTV would have had trouble preempting the Friday Roadshow movie since that was one of the Harry Potter movies and they had been heavily promoting that for months.

Patlabor OVA 7-

So at first I thought this was a terrible episode but then the last fight sequence happened. It's kinda weird but I think this is a really well directed episode visually, the problem is that the material itself is pretty boring. It's a pretty dry case and there isn't anything interesting about it. I should also mention that I'm in love with this soundtrack. It's so Mega Manish.

This episode was not directed by Oshii but instead by Naoyuki Yoshinaga (who directed the TV series). It was released a while after the previous six episodes to tie into the release of the first movie. So it's not surprising that there's a different feel to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom