• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Kurita, I'll need your expert opinion on this project and its cast, because those names involved are mighty interesting:

http://gainax.fr/index.php/news/japan/1228-ando-lloyd-un-drama-de-science-fiction

GAiNAXers Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki & Mahiro Maeda are masterminds behind its concept.

Poor GORIPON, comparisons like this probably hurt him... and I thought you were his biggest fan! ;-)

Kurita

Kurita, I'll need your expert opinion on this project and its cast, because those names involved are mighty interesting:

http://gainax.fr/index.php/news/japan/1228-ando-lloyd-un-drama-de-science-fiction

GAiNAXers Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki & Mahiro Maeda are masterminds behind its concept.

Poor GORIPON, comparisons like this probably hurt him... and I thought you were his biggest fan! ;-)
Well, the two main actors, Kimura Takuya and Shibasaki Kô are some of the biggest stars in Japan so... Expect high ratings.

Enron

Banned
Patlabor OVA 6-

This soundtrack be banging. Straight out of the 80's baby. Overall a pretty interesting arc that seems to foreshadow stuff than actually detail anything in the world or thematically. I think the point of the arc was to show Goto's true colors though. I'm guessing he's a revolutionary as well and I'm sure his time is coming.

Wait till you get to the TV series. Dem OPs, man.

Also Noa is my 80s waifu

well, no one cares about Gargantia or Majestic Prince anymore, so fuck it.

but I do care about MJPR.
BTLJQAvCAAAyGhc.png

was just sure i saw those on the twitter accounts

Articalys

The Gargantia staff having a bit of fun with the Chamber balloon at Chara Hobby 2013:
To which the official Majestic Prince account got in on the fun and responded with "This round shape, is this a Wulgaru...!?"
And Gargantia follows up with another tweet that I'm having more trouble translating, but seems to be something along the lines of, "No, we're seeking a friendship with you." Though not so informal and in Chamber-speak, of course.

Bonus:

CorvoSol

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY RAVEN

I could see you wearing shades hammering out a piano rendition of this song.

well, no one cares about Gargantia or Majestic Prince anymore, so fuck it.

I care! I've said it a couple times recently, but my attitude regarding MJP has really improved lately. I've come to like the show a lot more.

nobody cares about E7 either, huh

I care about this, too! Unless we're talking about PFoR or AO and then yes, fuck it.

but I do care about MJPR.
BTLJQAvCAAAyGhc.png

was just sure i saw those on the twitter accounts

Hahaha, that's pretty fitting of the situation.
I always thought Neo Roanoke's mask was cooler.

CorvoSol

The Gargantia staff having a bit of fun with the Chamber balloon at Chara Hobby 2013:

To which the official Majestic Prince account got in on the fun and responded with "This round shape, is this a Wulgaru...!?"
And Gargantia follows up with another tweet that I'm having more trouble translating, but seems to be something along the lines of, "No, we're seeking a friendship with you." Though not so informal and in Chamber-speak, of course.

Bonus:

That chubby Chamber thing is adorable. Chambro was probably my favorite character of the last season.

Heartcatch ReairCure 2

I wonder what Tsubomi's heart flower was. Don't think I remember if that was ever stated. But Erika is pure at least.

Fighting was competently animated (although the first fight wasn't... competent if it was even a fight). And we also get some lore on Precures beyond legends.

7Th

Nope, it was by Yoshinari.

ジャケットは吉成曜描きおろしのセクシーなパンティ&ストッキング

http://www.animate-onlineshop.jp/pn... Garterbelt THE WORST ALBUM ALBUM/pd/1070975/

cnet128

Banned
Blonde haired girl is a million times cuter than the other one.

Get out. Onodera is best girl, Chitoge doesn't even come close.

Errr am I missing something here because that doesn't look amazing at all to me.

Missing...your sanity, perchance?

Yes! Precure 5 - 41

Okay, Bloody, you see, last time you showed up I thought your method of attack was pretty neat and original. Turning an entire room into a Kowaina, thus separating the Cures while attacking them from all sides with countless disembodied hands? Yeah, that was a pretty novel idea. The first time. It's not so novel, however, when you pull the exact same trick in your next appearance. No, "more hands" does not count as a super-creative variation.

On the less one-trick-vampire side of things, this episode was all about Urara and Komachi yuri shipping both struggling with the same problem: trying to come up with the best line for a female character to express her feelings to her romantic interest. Urara needed the inspiration to come up with an improvised line for an audition, while Komachi, of course, was struggling with a romantic scene in her definitely-not-based-in-any-way-on-herself-and-Nuts novel.

Thanks to a little heart-to-heart between the two of them and a flash of inspiration during their battle with Bloody's super-original Kowaina, they both reached the same conclusion:
the best way for their characters to convey their feelings is without using words at all
. Psch, Ronan Keating could have told you that.

Now that is one amazing anime mecha fight scene! But it begs the question, to any newcomers to Star Driver (such as myself, never saw that show), how much of that gif can be found in the anime? Is the entire show an awesome action fest? Or is a scene like that found once every six episodes or something?

Now that is one amazing anime mecha fight scene! But it begs the question, to any newcomers to Star Driver (such as myself, never saw that show), how much of that gif can be found in the anime? Is the entire show an awesome action fest? Or is a scene like that found once every six episodes or something?

That's part of the new footage in the Star Driver movie.

duckroll

Star Driver The Movie

I watched this yesterday, and I think someone should probably report back on the verdict instead of just posting gifs from the first 5 minutes of the film. Although, to be honest, for most people who have seen the original series, those few minutes are probably the only thing "worth watching" out of the entire 150min runtime, since the majority of the movie is just a typical recap movie. Having said that though, I think there is something there for those who are actually interested in the series but might not have finished it, or didn't like certain aspects of the series.

For me the most attractive thing about Star Driver was always the promise that it would do for mecha action what Utena did for high school dueling. That promise was never quite met, although the series did try to introduce various themes and metaphors which played on the aspects of how the actions on the island were in many ways a reflection of life lessons young people have to learn before they set out into the world on their own. I think by distilling the content of the series into a single film and removing all the fat and junk, the film actually does a much better job of letting these themes shine.

The structure of the movie is fairly well constructed as well, with a relatively tight Prologue->Act1->Act2->Act3->Climax->Epilogue format. The editing isn't quite as clean and it's still very obvious that the footage is taken from a TV series, but it's serviceable most of the time. It helps that for the most part the series was pretty good looking, but it also means that scenes with lower detail stand out a lot more. One thing which the movie made me appreciate more is how great a lot of the scene layouts and the use of music and song is in Star Driver. When it comes together well, it really works.

Unfortunately, as a whole, the movie also highlights the biggest weakness of the show - many of the characters and the actual story are paper thin and in many cases simply don't work. There are too many tropes and ideas which are thrown together simply for more variety of content in the series which ultimately weakens the work. Even by trimming much of the fat in the film, it feels obvious that beyond the core themes, the production values, and the evocative visuals and sound, there isn't really a strong cohesive narrative tying the entire work together.

But when viewed in a single sitting here, it feels much more forgiveable because the entertainment and reflection provided by exploring the themes solely through sights and sounds creates a much stronger feeling than it did as a TV series.

So yeah, it's still Star Driver, but it contains some of the best of the series, along with a pretty complete vision of the message the show wanted to have, all in a single package lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes. The prologue feels very much like pure fanservice for those who liked the series, giving a tease of what the future holds, but beyond that there really isn't much for those solely looking for "more Star Driver" after the series. But for those looking to give the content of the series another chance, I would certainly recommend trying this instead. It might work for you, it might not, but it certainly feels tighter than the series did when it aired.

Star Driver The Movie

I watched this yesterday, and I think someone should probably report back on the verdict instead of just posting gifs from the first 5 minutes of the film. Although, to be honest, for most people who have seen the original series, those few minutes are probably the only thing "worth watching" out of the entire 150min runtime, since the majority of the movie is just a typical recap movie. Having said that though, I think there is something there for those who are actually interested in the series but might not have finished it, or didn't like certain aspects of the series..

Oh that answers one question I had I guess, thought it would go in the Tiger & Bunny The Beginning route for a movie (half old half new) but I guess this is 95% old and 5% new.

Hopefully some company brings it here so I can add to my bds...

Did they at least keep the best moments for me?

duckroll

Oh that answers one question I had I guess, thought it would go in the Tiger & Bunny The Beginning route for a movie (half old half new) but I guess this is 95% old and 5% new.

Hopefully some company brings it here so I can add to my bds...

Did they at least keep the best moments for me?

I was also hoping for much more new content even in the old story material. It's a bit unfortunate that they just decided to blow all their budget on 5 minutes of crazy complex action in the start without much purpose or context. :(

I think you'll definitely like the stuff they kept from the series. They even went out of their way to keep in
that scene where Wako imagines Takuto and Sugata getting it on in bed.
Lololol.

Star Driver The Movie

I watched this yesterday, and I think someone should probably report back on the verdict instead of just posting gifs from the first 5 minutes of the film. Although, to be honest, for most people who have seen the original series, those few minutes are probably the only thing "worth watching" out of the entire 150min runtime, since the majority of the movie is just a typical recap movie. Having said that though, I think there is something there for those who are actually interested in the series but might not have finished it, or didn't like certain aspects of the series.

For me the most attractive thing about Star Driver was always the promise that it would do for mecha action what Utena did for high school dueling. That promise was never quite met, although the series did try to introduce various themes and metaphors which played on the aspects of how the actions on the island were in many ways a reflection of life lessons young people have to learn before they set out into the world on their own. I think by distilling the content of the series into a single film and removing all the fat and junk, the film actually does a much better job of letting these themes shine.

The structure of the movie is fairly well constructed as well, with a relatively tight Prologue->Act1->Act2->Act3->Climax->Epilogue format. The editing isn't quite as clean and it's still very obvious that the footage is taken from a TV series, but it's serviceable most of the time. It helps that for the most part the series was pretty good looking, but it also means that scenes with lower detail stand out a lot more. One thing which the movie made me appreciate more is how great a lot of the scene layouts and the use of music and song is in Star Driver. When it comes together well, it really works.

Unfortunately, as a whole, the movie also highlights the biggest weakness of the show - many of the characters and the actual story are paper thin and in many cases simply don't work. There are too many tropes and ideas which are thrown together simply for more variety of content in the series which ultimately weakens the work. Even by trimming much of the fat in the film, it feels obvious that beyond the core themes, the production values, and the evocative visuals and sound, there isn't really a strong cohesive narrative tying the entire work together.

But when viewed in a single sitting here, it feels much more forgiveable because the entertainment and reflection provided by exploring the themes solely through sights and sounds creates a much stronger feeling than it did as a TV series.

So yeah, it's still Star Driver, but it contains some of the best of the series, along with a pretty complete vision of the message the show wanted to have, all in a single package lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes. The prologue feels very much like pure fanservice for those who liked the series, giving a tease of what the future holds, but beyond that there really isn't much for those solely looking for "more Star Driver" after the series. But for those looking to give the content of the series another chance, I would certainly recommend trying this instead. It might work for you, it might not, but it certainly feels tighter than the series did when it aired.

Nice write-up! Still looking forward to seeing it. I did quite the series itself, though the episode structure felt a bit repetitive. Perhaps being distilled into a recap movie format might alleviate that a bit.

/XX/

Of course! What I meant to say is that ranking this one above Mr. Nishigori's first OST illustration, and with 'full' renditions of the characters that he himself devised before and was a proponent of in the actual series, was a little like devaluing his previous effort coming from a fan of his work like you (all this said humorously on my part).

Man, explaining a lame joke or playful jab like this looks so sad... sorry!

I was also hoping for much more new content even in the old story material. It's a bit unfortunate that they just decided to blow all their budget on 5 minutes of crazy complex action in the start without much purpose or context. :(

I suppose as long as it looks pretty I can forgive it to some extent :).

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 39, 40, 41

For being this close to the end, there wasn't that much plot movement. A little character development, but that's it. Also heterosexual romance.

Wolf's Rain 7

I liked the way the wolves' attacks were portrayed, keeping them in their human forms while inflicting bite and scratch wounds on the soldiers being attacked. It highlights the duality of appearance and reality which is at the core of the wolves' interaction with humans. Meanwhile, the music during the standoff between them and the army was not tense or exciting, but rather gentle and uplifted. It emphasized the joy that has come from
the meeting between Kiba and the Flower Maiden
, especially the track that started playing when
Degre spotted Cheza
. I'm curious to see
how Cheza's inclusion will affect the group dynamics.

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't surprise me that the Star Driver movie is probably better than the TV series. It always felt that they could have easily truncated the TV series and nothing of value would have been lost. It would have easily helped pacing and redundancy issues that the TV series had.

Mr.Jeff

Uchoten 8+9
I'd put off 8 for a week since I thought it was going to be overly heavy. While it does feature a lot of seriousness, it's handled without a sense of overwrought melodrama and reiterates the solid bonds between the family.

9 was different beast entirely and focused mainly on forthcoming plot. There's clear indications that
while Yasburou may not have feelings for Kaisei, she certainly has some kind of attraction to him and resents Benten's intervention. As people have said, there's a clear build up towards the hot pot but part of me wonders whether Kaisei will become involved in the attempt to save one of them.

The other thing that had me wondering was this scene. Initially I took it as
displacement activity but part of me wonders ]whether the daruma was Kaisei. It's revealed that she was outside earlier but I do wonder if she snuck in before Yasuburou did and the Akadama knew this. She has visted before after all.

jbug617

Banned
Dog & Scissors 10

Negative girl is extra negative this episode. Boob trash talking goes well with this show for some reason. The
fight
just like this entire show is crazy and out there.

Dont know why companies still do that for stuff here. They did the same thing with cardfight!! vanguard, sadly :(

It's more funny since Pokemon in the past was crazy strict on not letting any types of Japanese characters appearing in the dub. To the point where they had to create a made up language to be used as the official language in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom