• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
This episode was not directed by Oshii but instead by Naoyuki Yoshinaga (who directed the TV series). It was released a while after the previous six episodes to tie into the release of the first movie. So it's not surprising that there's a different feel to it.

Yea I checked the directing credits as there were some really cool visual techniques such as the opening with the payphone around the 00:45 mark. In the shot, the man is hanging up the phone and the cradle is vibrating and out of focus. I thought the episode would be more of a funny/downtime case and instead it's pretty serious tonewise throughout even though the material isn't that interesting. Episode 6 feels more like the conclusion arc so I'm not surprised this episode was produced much later.

Monogatari Series Second Season - 9

I am now very much under the impression that I've done myself a great disservice by not reading Kizu before the premiere of this series. Or at least that's the feeling I get when I compare my own reaction to the series to that of those who have read it (probably most notably cnet's).

That said, I certainly can appreciate the Araragi/Shinobu dynamic in this arc, but hardly as much as I think I would had I read Kizu before it. I probably also should've rewatched Bakemonogatari, too, since I don't really remember
the part of Tsubasa Cat that's important to this arc

Anyway,
I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings, especially with almost no people, so this episode was a treat for me

CorvoSol

Someone in the angel wing fashion industry is getting very rich.

The reason there are regulations concerning the angelic acquisition of wings in the first place is because the industry is inundated with manufacturers. The Government of Paradise could not be reached for comments concerning whether or not the wing bubble is going to burst and whether or not you should invest in harps instead.

Articalys

Muromi-san OVA

That was kinda worth it for the
Hans Christian Alexander Anderson
joke near the very end.

Also, hey, CG ending!

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 4

lOSUAzA.jpg

Onpu was adorable for her little talk show thing, but they really should find some way to ween themselves of whoring Onpu's fame for sales.

Of course people are wondering why MahoDou changed again, and can you really blame them?

I guess right now, I'm not sure what to grasp for the main theme for Motto! is. Sharp was pretty easy to grab because of the baby angle, but here? Foreigness? Racism? Baking?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if this'll all have any effect on Ghibli BD/DVD sales. Probably not; also, it was right at the end of a sales week cycle.
HMV will continue to sell them for £5.*

*Ever since their resurrection from the dead I haven't been in one so I have no idea if this joke still holds true.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just noticed this but is there a tie for the fucking tie on the Nisekoi female character school outfits? what the fuck?

Dresden

Blue Exorcist - the movie -

A blistering critique of TEPCO's handling at Fukushima. A natural disaster (the train monster, which, like a train, comes regularly, just as an earthquake does in Japan) disrupts normal routine and this disruption in routine leads to a set of small negligences that eventually bloom out of control. Once the leak begins, there's no ending it.

There's a last-ditch attempt at the site itself to contain the breach. Foreign intervention - Arthur Augustus Angel! - and yet it's not enough.

It takes a miracle to end it all.

And yet, there are no miracles in the real world. A somber, relevant message for the new generation. In the end,
it's the children who suffer.

What looks ridiculous is how ruffled up Onodera's skirt is. That's not just striking a pose, it's being in a VERY specific position that can probably only last for a fraction of a second, what with gravity and all. I don't think even wind can do that.

Dresden

After yuruyuri I'm just kinda numb to bad uniform design.

Nisekoi's designs have always been appealing and simple, good to see these characteristics being retained for the anime.

What looks ridiculous is how ruffled up Onodera's skirt is. That's not just striking a pose, it's being in a VERY specific position that can probably only last for a fraction of a second, what with gravity and all. I don't think even wind can do that.

She just hopped. Chitoge is turning.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 33

So, in spite of the fact that
Mayalito
was only introduced last episode, I don't feel upset at their departure, on account of 1) Turn A Gundam doesn't pull that stunt very often, and 2) it was a legitimate passing that wasn't played for added melodrama. It was a natural extension of the relationship between
Mayalito and Quaotl
seen in the two episodes. So I felt okay with what happened there.

What was laughable about this episode, though, was that Borjarnons built goodness knows how many hundreds of years ago (two to three at the least would be my bet), are doing just fine, but WaDoms manufactured by the Lunarians were shot by primitive giant crossbows. I guess they don't make them like they used to?
For added comedy, the Zaku is sort of one of the weakest MSes around. Not as useless as an MA, though.

The other thing that occurred to me this episode is that, since so far the show has only suggested a connection with UC, this whole story about Loran and the White Doll kind of seems like, I don't know, a redemption of the White Devil, if you will? Spacers would be well within their rights to hate Gundams, since the Gundams for so long stood as the force which, one way or another, wound up upholding Federation rule. As the Turn A endeavors, not to uphold the status quo, but to find a way that the Moonrace and Earthrace can exist as equals, and also to destroy the nuclear weapons that symbolize the return of the disastrous wars of the Universal Centuries, it seems, in a way, that the Gundam is seeking a way to make up for all its predecessors have done. Sorta. That's heavily romanticized, but you get my point.

cnet128

Banned
I enjoyed her Nagato Yuki song in Disappearance.

Best Minori Chihara song always has been and always will be Yuki, Muon, Madobe nite. Kyoukai no Kanata song sounds fine I guess.

I just noticed this but is there a tie for the fucking tie on the Nisekoi female character school outfits? what the fuck?

It's just clipped down.

Huh. Apparently this has always been the case in the manga, but I'll be damned if I've ever noticed it before. I guess it does look kind of weird if you pay attention to it.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 18

FUUUUUUUU

Marbet gets in a Mobile Suit! But also Cronicle puts on his damn fool mask in space, and Uso goes to tell the kids they shouldn't be on a battlefield, but takes the time to get out of his Gundam to do that. Then one kid calls him out on it, but immediately forgets they're heading into battle to ask about girls and Uso's relationship with Shakti.

It's an entire show populated by people who are at least as stupid as Katz.

Westlo

Monogatari Series Second Season - 9

I am now very much under the impression that I've done myself a great disservice by not reading Kizu before the premiere of this series. Or at least that's the feeling I get when I compare my own reaction to the series to that of those who have read it (probably most notably cnet's).

It's SHAFT's fault for fucking around and taking too long to make Kizu anyway, at this rate we'll get the final season before it comes out. But yeah moments like this arc and Shinobu talking in Nise for the first time mean a lot more if you know Kizu.

Grzi

I wanted to find some posts so I searched my name and saw that some of you guys congratulated my birthday :)

It made me really happy, you guys have no idea. Going through a tough time currently, very busy, trying to cope with life and everything so I don't have time for anime (only watching HxH weekly), but I should be back for the fall season.

Really miss this thread and you guys.
Thanks.

cajunator

Banned
The reason there are regulations concerning the angelic acquisition of wings in the first place is because the industry is inundated with manufacturers. The Government of Paradise could not be reached for comments concerning whether or not the wing bubble is going to burst and whether or not you should invest in harps instead.

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY RAVEN

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 47
ii24TrUaBEhm4.png

TOEIIIIIIIIIIIII
So this is the conclusion of the previous Aiko ark. Pretty good episode.
It's amazing that we'd find another person with Hadzuki's sense of humour.
Another thing though which I found of note, how is making someone say cold jokes different from mind altering magic?
Also that new year segment at the start was more amusing seeing it now I'm sure than it was then.
Edit: I'll also use this oppourtunity to examine Lala's, and Hehe's designs. The contrast between them is pretty interesting. This episode also revealed that Hehe is supposedly younger than Lala which I guess is reflected in the way each dresses and their personalities.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 48
ibfVbpI26SbZ0w.png

Will Japan's imperialism never end?
Wait another bad item? Didn't see that one coming. 1 more left then.
You know when they first introduced those things it seemed like they'd be more rare, or mystic. The way they actually used them was pretty rubbish.
I don't understand how Hehe thought that was a good email to send anyway. Let alone to send en masse.
Onpu also has another heartwarming moment. Her contact with Doremi and co has certainly helped her.

Second
greatest OST cover of all time.

Aikatsu eyes creep me out.

Which works are a good entry for Miyazaki's oeuvre? Or should I simply work my way through his career chronologically?

Chronologically is fine, especially since his earlier films are more straightforward adventure. You can start from Castle of Cagliostro and work your way forward. Skip Howl's Moving Castle; otherwise his films are all worth watching.

/XX/

I was watching TV and a flash report came up saying Hayao Miyazaki has announced his retirement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTEysWfCIAIQ02l.jpg:large
According to NHK he tried his best not to ruin his health and finish Kaze Tachinu and he's retiring from feature films. What that actually means we're not sure. Ghibli is fucked though.
It made me afraid at first, but I'm glad now that duckroll's funest prediction doesn't appears (for the moment) like is going to become true... nevertheless, Mr. Miyazaki parting ways with Studio Ghibli momentarily in 1998 after all what happened with Mr. Kondo's death, and his posterior return created a clear precedent.

I still hope that like any old artisan does in a smaller scale, he still dedicates all that "free time" to craft as a past-time little experiences for those that take time to visit his other 'retirement' place (apart from Buta-ya), the Ghibli Museum.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure we will see him on a important role in the staff credits for Miyazaki Jr. upcoming, probably Yoshie Hotta inspired, 'chanbara' movie!

Which works are a good entry for Miyazaki's oeuvre? Or should I simply work my way through his career chronologically?
I would recommend going chronologically as well. I liked watching all of his feature length work to see how he progressed and how he faltered. It was a fun way to spend a summer too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd recommend going reverse chronologically cause everything's kind of a let down after Nausicaa/Laputa/Mononoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom