• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 25: The build up to the Fight of Finale Grand Spectacle continues unabated as the local color forges an alliance of convenience against the imperial mercenaries that have them besieged, but will it be enough?

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Episode 22 – Encompassing Heavens
tumblr_msiszrDNDS1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_msiszrDNDS1qbxqfpo2_500.png

So many good Shino Shinobu moments in the whole bath scene and hilarious even.
but again another powerful story with that cliffhanger, Ao what are you even doing :( I just hope this isnt done in away that Shinobu will have traded his life to Kagetsu and now we no longer see him in that form anymore. Or maybe Kagetsu will merge with him and then he can transform? I guess the best thing would be if he becomes just like Shino, taking kagetsu with him and being able to change forms whenever, also how would 22 yr old Shinobu look...kind of definitely want to see, especially how Shino became.
. Best arc yet, and possibly of the season for anime Im watching.

wonzo

Banned
Teekyuu 21

By far and away the best baseball episode since that one Polar Bear's Cafe ep.

Yami Shibai 8-9

yamishibai8.jpg

A double whammy of umbrella's and curses. spooky stuff

cajunator

Banned
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 25: The build up to the Fight of Finale Grand Spectacle continues unabated as the local color forges an alliance of convenience against the imperial mercenaries that have them besieged, but will it be enough?

I have a hunch it might!

UIwVAPL.jpg

Keima you prick

TWGOK S3 9

Well, shit I feel horrible :(

Doesn't have the same impact as the manga but it still made me feel bad seeing that again. Music definitely didn't help either.

Sadly, they really should had place this scene at the end of the previous episode. Rest of the episode was rushed too much and made it honestly a bit awkward watching everything else.

At least, there was bright side in seeing Mercury.

wonzo

Banned
TWGOK S3 9

Doesn't have the same impact as the manga but it still made me feel bad seeing that again. Music definitely didn't help either.

Sadly, they really should had place this scene at the end of the previous episode. Rest of the episode was rushed too much and made it honestly a bit awkward watching everything else.

watch kanon win in the end as wakaki is a sellout hack

Articalys

If you're wondering what on earth happened to GKIDS' standard release of A Letter to Momo after they announced the license over a year ago (and it's been to a couple film festivals since, albeit sub-only), they're still working on the dub, but it won't be ready until early next year at the soonest.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 51 ��
iDHozlB2FsExB.png

Jojomajo Doremi
Well something similar happened I guess.
The queen doing what she did after all that transpired was sort of a dick move but I suppose the Rrrrrurrrrrus are what they are and she didn't have much choice in the matter. The one I'm feeling worst about is Majo Rika in this because she basically has it the roughest out of everyone else. Doremi and the others should have done a magical stage on her to turn her back. Doremi's magic was enough to momentarily do the trick after all.
I think me watching parts of the first episode again also helped this.
specifically the scene where Majo Rika gets turned into a magical frog, the scene where they get found out and Onpu saved them are meant to mirror each otehr for example.
Majo Rika <3
Everyone needs to watch this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
watch kanon win in the end as wakaki is a sellout hack
Oh you, assuming there will be a winner!

TWGOK S3 9

Cartman Licking Tears.gif
Such good times!

Jarmel

Banned
Well, while he's certainly guilty of it as well, I was talking to Hosanna on IRC earlier about what I felt was a rather unfortunate thing plaguing BONES lately, and it's that Muraki's action storyboards have gotten more and more needlessly complex ever since he directed Prototype in Halo Legends. The stuff in the E7 movie, E7AO, and the Star Driver movie are really complete extravagance which serves only to show off "look what we can do" from the animators instead of actually having pacing and momentum in creating an exciting action sequence. It's pretty disappointing from a direction point of view I think.

I kinda disagree with this and agree with this at the same time but mainly disagree. I think that's more of a fault with the writing and overall direction rather than a fault of the action sequence in of itself. The action sequences are fine for the most part taken by themselves, the problem is with the lack of characterization and context. BONES has been pretty shitty on this front and stuff like that can really hurt the emotional or intangible aspect of a fight sequence. Now if the fight sequence is hard to follow, that's a separate issue and not one I think is really that valid.

I'll get around to it soon enough. At the moment I'm busy with Yamato 2199 at the moment. Which, I'm pleased to say, is one of the best sci-fi anime in years.

I really think the release format for the TV show unfortunately did a lot of harm to the popularity of the series. It's one of those things where I feel if it had been released like a normal TV series, it would have been much more popular compared to the OVA release format now. It's an absolutely fantastic show and pretty much nobody fucking watches it.

Hmm, possibly. I can't think of a lot that is in the running with it, off the top of my head, outside of stuff like Cowboy Bebop the movie. End of Evangelion has Iso's Asuka fight, which might be the best animated action scene ever, but it's not primarily an action movie.
ixSxId4yKIwxG.gif

I think at a certain point, it's impossible to say which is the best animated action sequence because it all becomes a matter of taste. The Greed vs Bradley fights would sure as hell be up there and there is some stuff in Gurren Lagann that would almost certainly qualify.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dog and Scissors 10
5jxxe34l.jpg

Somehow they introduced a shounen writing contest into the middle of the episode. Not as good as the Shiritori shounen match from KKK last week, but still random enough to be funny because of all the twists and gamuts. lol

I
I really think the release format for the TV show unfortunately did a lot of harm to the popularity of the series. It's one of those things where I feel if it had been released like a normal TV series, it would have been much more popular compared to the OVA release format now. It's an absolutely fantastic show and pretty much nobody fucking watches it.

What do you mean? I thought it has been extremely popular in its release format on discs (arent all >30K even), and then its also, was doing pretty good on its tv airings setting being one of the highest premieres for the station in years.

Only issue with its format is it seems the timing still managed to give them issues for completely the final set of episodes in time and I dont think they even managed to fully complete the final episode in time for the last theater showing.

-Unless you meant in the context of people not in jpn?

cajunator

Banned
Ojamajo Doremi 51 &#65533;&#65533;

Well something similar happened I guess.
The queen doing what she did after all that transpired was sort of a dick move but I suppose the Rrrrrurrrrrus are what they are and she didn't have much choice in the matter. The one I'm feeling worst about is Majo Rika in this because she basically has it the roughest out of everyone else. Doremi and the others should have done a magical stage on her to turn her back. Doremi's magic was enough to momentarily do the trick after all.
I think me watching parts of the first episode again also helped this.
specifically the scene where Majo Rika gets turned into a magical frog, the scene where they get found out and Onpu saved them are meant to mirror each otehr for example.
Majo Rika <3
Everyone needs to watch this.

They have butterfly outfits?
Ok maybe the art can be appealing somewhat.

Jarmel

Banned
What do you mean? I thought it has been extremely popular in its release format on discs (arent all >30K even), and then its also, was doing pretty good on its tv airings setting being one of the highest premieres for the station in years.

Only issue with its format is it seems the timing still managed to give them issues for completely the final set of episodes in time and I dont think they even managed to fully complete the final episode in time for the last theater showing.

-Unless you meant in the context of people not in jpn?

I mean more outside of Japan. It's certainly popular within the country.

Syrinx

Nisemonogatari 9

I hoped more would have come during the scene where Karen and Kanbaru met, but barely anything happened, and then Araragi just left. Disappointing.

Those two women he met were creepy as hell though. Since this arc is about Tsukihi, I wonder how they'll get involved with her.

Kino's Journey - 9

So yeah, at first I was like:
J+Jameson+laughing+Meme+peter+parker+spider+man.gif

A resistance organization for publishing books? What the hell did this show become? Lol.

But then I was all:
j74SykU.gif

Yeesh this show. As if the other episodes weren't mind-boggling enough, this one had to make me think
the entire series was happening inside Kino's imagination. I thought I ruled that possibility out when people could hear the motorcycle speak, but NOPE.

My mind is full of so much wat right now. I need to watch an upbeat and charming anime.

Love Lab 9

I haven't been a big fan of when this show has dipped into serious mode in the past, but this time it handled the drama with a light enough touch that it ended up enjoyable. Makio Evolved is the best.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey - 9

So yeah, at first I was like:
J+Jameson+laughing+Meme+peter+parker+spider+man.gif

A resistance organization for publishing books? What the hell did this show become? Lol.

But then I was all:
j74SykU.gif

Yeesh this show. As if the other episodes weren't mind-boggling enough, this one had to make me think
the entire series was happening inside Kino's imagination. I thought I ruled that possibility out when people could hear the motorcycle speak, but NOPE.

My mind is full of so much wat right now. I need to watch an upbeat and charming anime.

Show isnt done yet heehee. Theres one oc the last episodes that will make you hate everything. But it is even scarier because it rings absolutely true and relevant.

Good god. Hanakana you adorable person.

The producers are looking to license Space Battleship Yamato 2199 for TV airing in overseas markets, which will potentially end up with a much larger audience for the show than it just being popular in anime fan circles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll get around to it soon enough. At the moment I'm busy with Yamato 2199 at the moment. Which, I'm pleased to say, is one of the best sci-fi anime in years.
You're finally watching it?! Thank god!

Now you know what I mean and why I freak out every time a new set of episodes is released. lol

cnet128

Banned
Nisemonogatari 8

...What in the ever-loving fuck did I just watch?

yessssssssss XD

Yes! Precure 5 - 42

*sigh* I was hoping to get through most, if not all, of the remaining Yes! Precure 5 episodes this evening, but after watching just one episode I found myself with a nasty little headache that resulted in me spending three or four hours just lying in bed doing nothing. What a waste of an evening.

Ah well, I can still find time for a couple more episodes!

ikPG5FwbZZ746.png

"Let's go full derpface! Kettei~!"

Ahem. Leaving that Nozomi shot aside...

This was the second episode in a row focusing on yuri shipping two of the Cures bonding. Last episode it was Urara and Komachi, and this time it was Rin and Karen.

For some reason Rin seemed extra cute in this episode. Oh, who am I kidding - Rin is always adorable. *hugs Rin* She's got to be my favourite Cure of this series after Nozomi. I was actually hoping to find a specific shot of her being extra adorable from this episode, but looking through it, I couldn't find one that stands out. She's just wonderful in general.

So instead I made a GIF of her amazing smile from the ED, which warms my heart every episode.

iWm7HqDA4VEk6.gif

Jarmel

Banned
The producers are looking to license Space Battleship Yamato 2199 for TV airing in overseas markets, which will potentially end up with a much larger audience for the show than it just being popular in anime fan circles.

We'll see if it ever happens. As it stands, I wouldn't even say it's popular in most anime circles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We'll see if it ever happens. As it stands, I wouldn't even say it's popular in most anime circles.
It's popular for old people, basically. It depends on how much of a nostalgia play they can make here.

Although I suppose something like the new Sailor Moon is more likely to general mainstream interest nowadays than a revival of a 70s cartoon.

zeroshiki

To the surprise of no one, Kaze Tachinu stayed atop the Japanese box office for a 7th straight week beating back Man of Steel, Anohana and Sadako 3D2. It looks to be a clear field until the Wolverine movie in 2 weeks so at worst its gonna be 8 straight weeks at the top.

Anohana is actually the surprise for me since its a limited release but it came in 3rd beating out the first week of the wide release Sadako 3D2. Apparently its been getting rave reviews o_O It had the 2nd best opening for a late night anime turned movie ever. (You can guess which was number 1. It wasn't even close)

The Miyazaki retirement thing apparently boosted Kaze Tachinu's performance starting Monday (not included in the counting for last week)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom