• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the gif looks good, but am I the only one that's starting to see a lot of these well-animated explosions as "generic"? They're just all starting to look the same to me.

Branduil

I think the gif looks good, but am I the only one that's starting to see a lot of these well-animated explosions as "generic"? They're just all starting to look the same to me.

I don't really watch that many anime with explosions. It sounds like you're more talking about art direction, though.

duckroll

It's true. Not only do they all kinda look the same, but sometimes I think that making an action scene too complicated just to show off more "awesome" animation in a scene makes it exhausting and often just hard to follow. The opening scene in the Star Driver movie has amazing animation quality, but it felt pretty tiresome to watch and there was never any context or momentum to build excitement in the fights. It was literally just animation spam.

cajunator

Banned
That Nisekoi MC has a Yuno hair clip, it's weird when not attached to the cutest being in the universe.

Holy shit I just noticed that. now I cant unsee it :(

well, no one cares about Gargantia or Majestic Prince anymore...?

Well that assertion is nonsense.
But seeing as both shows are over, there's not currently much to discuss.

The Gargantia staff having a bit of fun with the Chamber balloon at Chara Hobby 2013:

To which the official Majestic Prince account got in on the fun and responded with "This round shape, is this a Wulgaru...!?"
And Gargantia follows up with another tweet that I'm having more trouble translating, but seems to be something along the lines of, "No, we're seeking a friendship with you." Though not so informal and in Chamber-speak, of course.

Bonus:

Japan is a super crazy place. 100%!

I think you've watched shows like Bleach for so long that you don't know what good animation looks like anymore :(

Theres only one fight in the entirety of Bleach that has great animation and it ends in like 2 mins.

It's just good animation, what with the frame count and the camera and all that fun stuff.

Doesn't mean you have to think it looks good. That's subjective.

Yeah I guess so. Its good but nothing special imo.

Do you have images turned on?

harharhar

It seems you guys are talking about the explosions (?) which makes it even more bizarre. I don't see great animation as having lots of pretty explosions and beams. In fights I like it when there is fluidity in the combat. The thing that makes the End of Evangelion fight so special imo. That was fantastic animation.

Branduil

It's true. Not only do they all kinda look the same, but sometimes I think that making an action scene too complicated just to show off more "awesome" animation in a scene makes it exhausting and often just hard to follow. The opening scene in the Star Driver movie has amazing animation quality, but it felt pretty tiresome to watch and there was never any context or momentum to build excitement in the fights. It was literally just animation spam.

I dub this phenomenon :imaishi.

There's not really that much you can do with explosions to make them stand out as unique, honestly. At least there's no examples that come to mind.

duckroll

I dub this phenomenon :imaishi.

Well, while he's certainly guilty of it as well, I was talking to Hosanna on IRC earlier about what I felt was a rather unfortunate thing plaguing BONES lately, and it's that Muraki's action storyboards have gotten more and more needlessly complex ever since he directed Prototype in Halo Legends. The stuff in the E7 movie, E7AO, and the Star Driver movie are really complete extravagance which serves only to show off "look what we can do" from the animators instead of actually having pacing and momentum in creating an exciting action sequence. It's pretty disappointing from a direction point of view I think.

Branduil

Well, while he's certainly guilty of it as well, I was talking to Hosanna on IRC earlier about what I felt was a rather unfortunate thing plaguing BONES lately, and it's that Muraki's action storyboards have gotten more and more needlessly complex ever since he directed Prototype in Halo Legends. The stuff in the E7 movie, E7AO, and the Star Driver movie are really complete extravagance which serves only to show off "look what we can do" from the animators instead of actually having pacing and momentum in creating an exciting action sequence. It's pretty disappointing from a direction point of view I think.

Freaking Microsoft ruins everything.

Theonik

Animation spam sounds like something 7th would eat.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of action animation, for those of you who dropped or aren't watching Attack on Titan, the latest episode had some pretty good stuff. Spoilers, obviously.

http://i.minus.com/iZUgg7gyyvXAO.gif
http://i.minus.com/iowEAxM3hAsuT.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibrm7xUpbGAJMm.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibgMfrTZodDMIX.gif
http://i.minus.com/iOIDlAl5elqtl.gif

I'm not really sure why I dont like Attack on Titan's visuals. It might be the use of color in it. It looks drab to me for some reason.

Godly animation:

tumblr_maiqwjnqkG1qiyx4bo1_500.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have no idea what is going on in those gifs but I can honestly say our potato based idea with mechs would be infinitely superior.

Well that assertion is nonsense.
But seeing as both shows are over, there's not currently much to discuss.

I'm just getting caught up with Majestic Prince, though still only on episode 8 or so. Probably the best Hirai's work has looked aside from Infinite Ryvius, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 50
i07tPGLfJuvJl.png

Preview'd
Well shit went real pretty quick. I bet
Onpu will use her magic to wipe everyone's memories resulting in her getting hurt pretty bad. Queen will end up still saving them but it probably comes at the expense of them losing their Witch status and R[iu]ka staying as magical frogs though.
It's a shame things had to turn out this way too.

Sounds like a SHAFT show.
If it was shaft they'd also do transitions in powerpoint.

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 21

The amount of filler in even a pretty good episode of this series is impressive. Leaving aside the excellent first half, for a moment, the majority of the opening of the episode is devoted to flashbacks and pointless discussion of what the flashbacks contained. We didn't get to the cliffhanger of episode 20 for seven minutes. Admittedly part of that was the OP, but still. Then there was about two more minutes of wasted time spread throughout the episode to pad it out some more. I know this has been the case for months but it still saddens me.

duckroll

[Attack on Titan] - 21

The amount of filler in even a pretty good episode of this series is impressive. Leaving aside the excellent first half, for a moment, the majority of the opening of the episode is devoted to flashbacks and pointless discussion of what the flashbacks contained. We didn't get to the cliffhanger of episode 20 for seven minutes. Admittedly part of that was the OP, but still. Then there was about two more minutes of wasted time spread throughout the episode to pad it out some more. I know this has been the case for months but it still saddens me.

Should have watched the Blue Exorcist movie instead. :p

Branduil

Well, Sword of the Stranger has the best action animation... ever, probably.

Hmm, possibly. I can't think of a lot that is in the running with it, off the top of my head, outside of stuff like Cowboy Bebop the movie. End of Evangelion has Iso's Asuka fight, which might be the best animated action scene ever, but it's not primarily an action movie.

Branduil

[Attack on Titan] - 21

I still think the rushed production schedule affected the writing and direction as much as the animation. Early on in the series, there was quite a bit of original material to fill in the gaps, and they didn't just adapt the manga in a linear manner, but after the first few episodes, it's been pretty much a straight adaptation with really slow pacing and huge recaps at the beginning of every episode.

Jex

I still think the rushed production schedule affected the writing and direction as much as the animation. Early on in the series, there was quite a bit of original material to fill in the gaps, and they didn't just adapt the manga in a linear manner, but after the first few episodes, it's been pretty much a straight adaptation with really slow pacing and huge recaps at the beginning of every episode.

I know there's not really much they could do about it at this point and it is what it is. Unfortunately.

duckroll

I believe they finished the scripts before it started airing though. It was probably written knowing that they would only be adapting a certain number of chapters in 25 episodes. Don't forget, Jojo did the same thing with regards to being cheap with recaps and dragging scenes on. Same series writer!

Branduil

I believe they finished the scripts before it started airing though. It was probably written knowing that they would only be adapting a certain number of chapters in 25 episodes. Don't forget, Jojo did the same thing with regards to being cheap with recaps and dragging scenes on. Same series writer!

I'm sure they did, but that doesn't necessarily mean the script wasn't rushed. If you only have, say, 3 months to finish the scripts instead of 6, that's going to affect the quality even if you finish them all before the show starts airing.

Speaking of train wrecks, I don't understand why some people won't shut up with the manga hints in the official thread.

Wolf's Rain 8-10

It's not hard to tell when Keiko Nobumoto herself wrote an episode script and when she didn't. Not that the other scripts are bad, but Nobumoto always brings an extra layer of poetry to her writing that makes it enjoyable purely for its language. Sato and Okamura can't match that.

Hmm, possibly. I can't think of a lot that is in the running with it, off the top of my head, outside of stuff like Cowboy Bebop the movie. End of Evangelion has Iso's Asuka fight, which might be the best animated action scene ever, but it's not primarily an action movie.

endofevangelion2wflm.gif

I really don't like the mech fights these days. Just a bunch of crazy beams and explosions (rebuild series does this sadly) not enough actual fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom