• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To the surprise of no one, Kaze Tachinu stayed atop the Japanese box office for a 7th straight week beating back Man of Steel, Anohana and Sadako 3D2. It looks to be a clear field until the Wolverine movie in 2 weeks so at worst its gonna be 8 straight weeks at the top.

Anohana is actually the surprise for me since its a limited release but it came in 3rd beating out the first week of the wide release Sadako 3D2. Apparently its been getting rave reviews o_O It had the 2nd best opening for a late night anime turned movie ever. (You can guess which was number 1. It wasn't even close)

The Miyazaki retirement thing apparently boosted Kaze Tachinu's performance starting Monday (not included in the counting for last week)

It's not K-On, is it?!

And maybe this announcement was all a ploy to boost ticket sales...

duckroll

Hey I donate. Crack would be a cheaper hobby for me.

I don't think Bandai Visual cares when they're selling 40k per volume on DVD/BD before the show ever aired on TV, made tons of money from limited theatrical screenings, selling pamphlet programs, and later on enjoying good ratings on TV as well. Anyone who thinks that Yamato 2199 is "not popular" is only looking at their own narrow myopic view of fandom.

Mature

Norio Matsumoto > *
0e091811defeeeed1453148401fc95a1.gif
Wow, that was a pretty astounding MAD. Thanks for sharing. I feel a bit ashamed to say I've never heard the name before.

You know, I've never seen Noein, but every fight I've seen from that show looks amazing.

zeroshiki

I dunno, maybe it was Clannad or something. lol

Clannad movie didn't even break the top 10.

Here's the top 10 openings for late night anime:

1. K-On
2. Anohana
3. Madoka Part 2
4. Madoka Part 1
5. Macross F Part 2
6. Tiger & Bunny
7. Index
8. Disappearance of Haruhi
9. Macross F Part 1
10. Stein's;Gate

Of course alot of this has to do with the number of screens the movies opened at. K-On opened to 124 screens which is waaaay more than 2nd place Tiger & Bunny with 70. Haruhi opened to only 24 screens but its made the 2nd most money at the box office when it was all said and done.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think Bandai Visual cares when they're selling 40k per volume on DVD/BD before the show ever aired on TV, made tons of money from limited theatrical screenings, selling pamphlet programs, and later on enjoying good ratings on TV as well. Anyone who thinks that Yamato 2199 is "not popular" is only looking at their own narrow myopic view of fandom.

I'm fully aware that no anime studio should really give a shit about overseas sales. It's also impossible and pointless to argue or debate over whether a show would be more popular if done in some what-if scenario. I'm not necessarily advocating what they should be doing but rather jus describing how the release structure almost certainly killed overseas interest. Airing it on Toonami might help in regards to attracting more of the overseas market, both existing anime fans and Toonami fans, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm just slightly disappointed that the show got buried the way it did.

yessssssssss XD

Yes! Precure 5 - 42

*sigh* I was hoping to get through most, if not all, of the remaining Yes! Precure 5 episodes this evening, but after watching just one episode I found myself with a nasty little headache that resulted in me spending three or four hours just lying in bed doing nothing. What a waste of an evening.

Ah well, I can still find time for a couple more episodes!

Ahem. Leaving that Nozomi shot aside...

This was the second episode in a row focusing on yuri shipping two of the Cures bonding. Last episode it was Urara and Komachi, and this time it was Rin and Karen.

For some reason Rin seemed extra cute in this episode. Oh, who am I kidding - Rin is always adorable. *hugs Rin* She's got to be my favourite Cure of this series after Nozomi. I was actually hoping to find a specific shot of her being extra adorable from this episode, but looking through it, I couldn't find one that stands out. She's just wonderful in general.

So instead I made a GIF of her amazing smile from the ED, which warms my heart every episode.

iWm7HqDA4VEk6.gif

...trying to marathon yes precure ??
Do you want an headache ?

Seriously

Also ED2 is nothing but a disapointment , especially since ( if my memory is right ) it's a remake of an already great song in splashstar ruined by too many voices this time.

cajunator

Banned
Clannad movie didn't even break the top 10.

Here's the top 10 openings for late night anime:

1. K-On
2. Anohana
3. Madoka Part 2
4. Madoka Part 1
5. Macross F Part 2
6. Tiger & Bunny
7. Index
8. Disappearance of Haruhi
9. Macross F Part 1
10. Stein's;Gate

Of course alot of this has to do with the number of screens the movies opened at. K-On opened to 124 screens which is waaaay more than 2nd place Tiger & Bunny with 70. Haruhi opened to only 24 screens but its made the 2nd most money at the box office when it was all said and done.

Steins;Gate :D

otherwise no real surprises.

Articalys

Okay, yeah, I'm definitely stealing a bunch of those Viz survey questions, adding a couple more, and making the third AnimeGAF survey tomorrow.

Show isnt done yet heehee. Theres one oc the last episodes that will make you hate everything. But it is even scarier because it rings absolutely true and relevant.

I'm confused. Am I watching an anime? Or someone's A+ philosophy paper that got lost in the mail and got confused with the script for this show.

Metrotab

Banned
Highschool DxD S2 - 9

New character! And apparently another faction in this ever more complex universe.

And damn, what a cliffhanger. I really know what his business is.

...trying to marathon yes precure ??
Do you want an headache ?

Seriously

Also ED2 is nothing but a disapointment , especially since ( if my memory is right ) it's a remake of an already great song in splashstar ruined by too many voices this time.

Yes Precure 5 isn't that bad to marathon >_>

Syrinx

Nisemonogatari 10

I was going to ask why Shinobu's so obsessed with donuts, but then I remembered donuts are awesome.

Ah, so Tsukihi is immortal and supernatural, and those two creepy women want to eliminate her because they're the "good guys". So the shoe's on the other foot now, kinda. But Tsukihi was the one who said she was over the whole "Fire Sisters" thing because she didn't really have a sense of what justice and injustice are. I guess that's part of why she's posing as a human in the human world, though there has to be a larger explanation. Either way, I certainly wouldn't call her "evil". That's the problem with doing stuff like this; you can think of yourself as being a hero fighting against evil for righteousness and justice, but you could just be delusional and destroying people out of some warped sense of the world. All that about he who fights monsters and whatnot.

Articalys

wait what

The official Madoka Magica site just posted a new key visual and announced there's going to be a brand new character in the third movie, voiced by Kana Asumi. You can see her on the far left of the group.

I'm fully aware that no anime studio should really give a shit about overseas sales. It's also impossible and pointless to argue or debate over whether a show would be more popular if done in some what-if scenario. I'm not necessarily advocating what they should be doing but rather jus describing how the release structure almost certainly killed overseas interest. Airing it on Toonami might help in regards to attracting more of the overseas market, both existing anime fans and Toonami fans, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm just slightly disappointed that the show got buried the way it did.

I would hope they put it on some place that actually would air reruns and more than once a week at such a late hour.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
wait what

The official Madoka Magica site just posted a new key visual and announced there's going to be a brand new character in the third movie, voiced by Kana Asumi. You can see her on the far left of the group.
there is always room for lolis.

Jarmel

Banned
wait what

That's obviously the loli form of Charlotte.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
wait what

"You can never have enough lolis!"
-Izayoi.

cajunator

Banned
wait what

I think I will skip the first two movies and just watch the third one.

Yunocchi in my Madoka? This is weird.

I am ok with this!

Nagisa Momoe, voiced by Kana Asumi.

I am very ok with this! (She looks like Nazuna a bit too)

wait what

GURREN LAGANN SPOILERS.

Heh. Maybe they'll pull a Nia with her and she'll end up being
Homura's new motivation that gives back her fighting spirit after Madoka became a god.

"Who the hell do you think I am?!? I'm Homura! Not my best friend Madoka. I AM MYSELF! HOMURA AKEMI!

I just saw the Blazblue anime trailer (yeah I know I'm late), and it looks so good. Great music for the trailer and the fighting in it looks like it's going to be good. If the characters keep their personalities like in the games this could end up being hype-worthy for me.

I'm already hyped for Magi S2 but I might have to add Blazblue into my watch list as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom