• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

It's an utter shame that this has received so little attention before, even some suggesting that you watch a handful of eps and be done with it. I'm glad that things are starting to change, though!

It was much, much bigger than Precure back in the days; the ratings and toy sales were insane. It didn't run for over 200 episodes for no reason.

Novid

Banned
It was much, much bigger than Precure back in the days; the ratings and toy sales were insane. It didn't run for over 200 episodes for no reason.

If I remember correctly, Doremi was closer to Sailor Moon's status than any of the PrettyCures. First season of the Cures was around 4th or 5th season of Doremi's and never had that success.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Then why did it die after four seasons and Precure is still alive after ten? What the hell, Toei?

wonzo

Banned
Kyousogiga TV anime for this fall confirmed! Main staff continues from the last ONA series: Rie Matsumoto as director, Yuki Hayashi as character designer, Go Shiina as composer. Yes!
This is the greatest news.

Did I just get spoiled for Bakemonogatari? I'm in the middle of it... =(
Nah, I'm p. sure they're posting about the end of Nise which has nothing whatsoever to do with the great Bake.

In the west, and, more importantly, on GAF.

I think only Reyearth and Sailor Moon did well? Nothing else ever reached the heights of those two after that in the West. Doesn't help that 4kids hackjobed Tokyo Mew Mew and Ojamajo Doremi.

Then why did it die after four seasons and Precure is still alive after ten? What the hell, Toei?

Because it won't frighten kids with deepness and it's not sexually appealing in the slightest *which is what the fans are for* Completely safe!

Kino's Journey - 2

Whoa. I-I don't even...whoa.

So, the episode starts off with Kino shooting rabbits for three lost travelers. I thought her contemplation on which lives were more important was meaningless at first. Thoughtful yes, but nothing to really concern yourself with.

The set up with those slave traders was really well executed. They seemed like such nice people at first that I was completely suckered in. Just goes to show how careful you gotta be around people. But still, really tragic on how they turned out.

Then came the realization. If those guys were slave traders stuck in the show, then wouldn't their victims be...oh shit.

The only thing I could assume happened when I saw those remains is that they went Alive and feasted on each other. Damn. Just damn.

Then Kino looks back and sees the rabbits she shot, realizing that their deaths were ultimately meaningless now. So many words spoken in that few seconds with no dialogue.

Definitely enjoying the solemn nature of this show so far. I'm starting to see why people like it a lot.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Precure switches character every season; Doremi used the same cast for over 200 episodes. It was time for it to rest. ;_;

bu...bu...why would that matter if it was consistently profitable? For a company that creates properties with the sole intent of milking the shit out of them, Toei can be incredibly capricious. It's just like when they ejected Nagisa and Honoka at the height of their popularity.

Nafe

Not really being that familiar with Doremi yet, if or when do you think the series would get a reboot sometime like say the new Sailor Moon?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not really being that familiar with Doremi yet, if or when do you think the series would get a reboot sometime like say the new Sailor Moon?

It evolved to a LN series where they're all 16 now. Umakoshi apparently still does the art.

nY6AxBn.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think only Reyearth and Sailor Moon did well? Nothing else ever reached the heights of those two after that in the West. Doesn't help that 4kids hackjobed Tokyo Mew Mew and Ojamajo Doremi.
Tokyo Mew Mew is cute and all, but not nearly in the same league. True, Doremi was hacked up, but so were Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura, so it might be more of how and when it was hacked up, not having a strong draw that resists a hackjob like them, and not really calling attention to itself in general. I mean, at first glance, it's just a basic girl waves magic wand show, and isn't made by CLAMP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-On!! Special 1
Why did they have to go back and have Yui have the ugly haircut? I never want to see that again. The episode was a bit to the boring side, but the final montage with the interviews was pretty funny.
Man, I had this as an animated avatar back when those were allowed. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If I remember correctly, Doremi was closer to Sailor Moon's status than any of the PrettyCures. First season of the Cures was around 4th or 5th season of Doremi's and never had that success.
Precure's success stems from the ability of the franchise to "reinvent" itself and continue pandering to the same demographic forever and ever. And I guess the otaku market helped a bit...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Do you have any idea or have you heard how well that's doing as far as popularity or sales?

Well, it's apparently still ongoing as the most recent volume released earlier this month. It apparently came bundled with a drama CD and is currently ranked somewhere in the 580s in the manga/LN category, meaning it was probably higher than that before or at the time of its release.

Nafe

Man, I had this as an animated avatar back when those were allowed. lol

Haha, I even remembered this without reading your post. I hadn't seen K-On yet so I didn't know what it was from but then much later seeing the episode and there it was. Haha, honestly whenever I see that picture I think "firehawk from AnimeGaf", haha.

Precure's success stems from the ability of the franchise to "reinvent" itself and continue pandering to the same demographic forever and ever. And I guess the otaku market helped a bit...

So it's like Pokemon where the designs may not be appealing sexually, but the otaku go all the way to make it quite a spectacle?

Nafe

Well, it's apparently still ongoing as the most recent volume released earlier this month. It apparently came bundled with a drama CD and is currently ranked somewhere in the 580s in the manga/LN category, meaning it was probably higher than that before or at the time of its release.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Personally I still like the designs of the girls there on the covers.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi Movie

zygkJcF.jpg

Poor Aiko. Once again, not feature length but production values were ramped up quite a bit. No apparent relation to any part of the series, so safe to watch whenever after the first couple episodes.

Novid

Banned
Imma have to do a OT for Neptunia. 3rd ep has aired, and Gaming Thread is talking Noire's life and hometown in code speak.

cajunator

Banned
Servant X service - 04

i wasn't expecting this.

I mean this is anime , so i was ready for something "crazy" but this turn of events ? Loool

Can't wait for ep 05.

Vert = xbox
Noir = Playstation
Blanc = Nintendo

Cajun , maybe you should watch Neptunia ?

Ohhhh. Vert = green. I live in the middle of Cajun country and I couldnt figure that out. Im embarassed lol.

Because it won't frighten kids with deepness and it's not sexually appealing in the slightest *which is what the fans are for* Completely safe!

Rayearth was pretty damned good but it only got two seasons really. I dont want to think about what they did to Tokyo Mew Mew and the fact I was never able to buy it :(

Kino's Journey - 2

Whoa. I-I don't even...whoa.

So, the episode starts off with Kino shooting rabbits for three lost travelers. I thought her contemplation on which lives were more important was meaningless at first. Thoughtful yes, but nothing to really concern yourself with.

The set up with those slave traders was really well executed. They seemed like such nice people at first that I was completely suckered in. Just goes to show how careful you gotta be around people. But still, really tragic on how they turned out.

Then came the realization. If those guys were slave traders stuck in the show, then wouldn't their victims be...oh shit.

The only thing I could assume happened when I saw those remains is that they went Alive and feasted on each other. Damn. Just damn.

Then Kino looks back and sees the rabbits she shot, realizing that their deaths were ultimately meaningless now. So many words spoken in that few seconds with no dialogue.

Definitely enjoying the solemn nature of this show so far. I'm starting to see why people like it a lot.

It only gets better and better and better,
Kino's Journey is a masterpiece.

Tokyo Mew Mew is cute and all, but not nearly in the same league. True, Doremi was hacked up, but so were Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura, so it might be more of how and when it was hacked up, not having a strong draw that resists a hackjob like them, and not really calling attention to itself in general. I mean, at first glance, it's just a basic girl waves magic wand show, and isn't made by CLAMP.

Theres nothing particularly special about TMM except that it has a magical catgirl in it and thats fucking glorious IMO.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Because the kids who grew up with the characters, well, grew up. Precure doesn't have that problem because it strikes for a new audience every season.

I'd think that the fact that it remained highly profitable over the course of its entire run (according to 7Th) would indicate that it was finding new viewers to replace those who aged out of it, continuity be damned. I could be wrong, of course. Perhaps Toei (mistakenly) thought that Precure would be even bigger than Doremi and simply didn't kill it to avoid yet another cash cow reboot so soon.

I really need my tag to be changed to "In an abusive relationship with Toei Animation".

Novid

Banned
They tried to bring Rayearth to the states but never came through. That would have been crazy though.

the 90's is just a whole story of missed opportunities - that we now in media are paying for and not in a good way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Theres nothing particularly special about TMM except that it has a magical catgirl in it and thats fucking glorious IMO.
Personally I watched it because Ichigo had to deal with being intermittently half-cat even when not transformed.

I'd think that the fact that it remained highly profitable over the course of its entire run (according to 7Th) would indicate that it was finding new viewers to replace those who aged out of it, continuity be damned. I could be wrong, of course. Perhaps Toei (mistakenly) thought that Precure would be even bigger than Doremi and simply didn't kill it to avoid yet another cash cow reboot so soon.

I really need my tag to be changed to "In an abusive relationship with Toei Animation".
Toei tried the finding new viewers thing before. It's called Sailor Moon Supers.

survivor

Banned
K-On!! Special 2
Even for special bonus episodes and they still manage to have a wonderful ending. Plus they finally got me not hate Fuwa Fuwa Times so that's a big accomplishment, it was very well placed at the end.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Toei tried the finding new viewers thing before. It's called Sailor Moon Supers.

The franchise's fate was out of their hands at that point! We'll never know just how long it would have lasted or how horribly it would have been run into the ground if it had been able to continue past Stars.

SuperS was far from a worst case scenario anyway; they actually managed a soft reboot without making the show unwatchable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, I even remembered this without reading your post. I hadn't seen K-On yet so I didn't know what it was from but then much later seeing the episode and there it was. Haha, honestly whenever I see that picture I think "firehawk from AnimeGaf", haha.
:mugiswag!

Novid

Banned
Only ten?

You mean on TV? Cause I have several nice boxsets of MKR on my shelf.

(for the first quote) It was more even between what would become Moe and what was known as Gengkia (Fist of the North Star and such work like it) in the mid 70's because Japan went through changes around 72 and 78 (which ironically G-Force was apart of) dealing with Political changes (a counter revolution to the sexual revolution that took place in most of the 60's all over the world - which effected the Pinky Violence Movies like Lady Snowblood and Rika)

as for rayearth, yep. But the dubber wanted all the rights and they balked.

Novid

Banned
The franchise's fate was out of their hands at that point! We'll never know just how long it would have lasted or how horribly it would have been run into the ground if it had been able to continue past Stars.

SuperS was far from a worst case scenario anyway; they actually managed a soft reboot without making the show unwatchable.

They were done after Super S. That was a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom